ADVERTISEMENT

The 1968 Texas Longhorns named college football's most influential team of all time

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

I would say Oklahoma was the only program that had years of success running the wishbone. Several programs including Alabama took a stab at it for a year or two, but nobody perfected it quite like Switzer.

I’m biased, but I would say Nebraska because under Boyd Epley it was the first program to have strength and conditioning. Something that every athletic program not just football uses to this day.

I would say Oklahoma was the only program that had years of success running the wishbone. Several programs including Alabama took a stab at it for a year or two, but nobody perfected it quite like Switzer.

I’m biased, but I would say Nebraska because under Boyd Epley it was the first program to have strength and conditioning. Something that every athletic program not just football uses lucky me I see Ghosts Hoodie to this day.
The 1968 Texas Longhorns are often heralded as college football's most influential team of all time due to their innovative implementation of the wishbone offense. Under the guidance of head coach Darrell Royal and offensive coordinator Emory Bellard, the Longhorns revolutionized the game with this formation, which emphasized a powerful running game and strategic option plays. This offense not only led the Longhorns to significant success, including a national championship in 1969, but also had a lasting impact on college football strategies nationwide. Many other teams adopted and adapted the wishbone offense, changing the landscape of the sport for decades. The 1968 Texas Longhorns' legacy is thus cemented not just by their on-field success, but by their profound influence on the tactical evolution of college football.

• Wow
Reactions: huntered
The 1968 Texas Longhorns are often heralded as college football's most influential team of all time due to their innovative implementation of the wishbone offense. Under the guidance of head coach Darrell Royal and offensive coordinator Emory Bellard, the Longhorns revolutionized the game with this formation, which emphasized a powerful running game and strategic option plays. This offense not only led the Longhorns to significant success, including a national championship in 1969, but also had a lasting impact on college football strategies nationwide. Many other teams adopted and adapted the wishbone offense, changing the landscape of the sport for decades. The 1968 Texas Longhorns' legacy is thus cemented not just by their on-field success, but by their profound influence on the tactical evolution of college football.
I would agree with @BugsAreQualityProtein on this… I think the wishbone absolutely changed things and to this day college football has benefitted from it, no question. But how do you not see the mark left by S&C on the landscape of football, not just college but also pro? Once S&C started, it became even more of a staple than the wishbone. Offensive strategies come and go, but S&C will always and forever be a key cog in football moving forward.

I would agree with @BugsAreQualityProtein on this… I think the wishbone absolutely changed things and to this day college football has benefitted from it, no question. But how do you not see the mark left by S&C on the landscape of football, not just college but also pro? Once S&C started, it became even more of a staple than the wishbone. Offensive strategies come and go, but S&C will always and forever be a key cog in football moving forward.
It is just one man’s opinion. Maybe someone else will come up with the S&C angle.

I’m biased, but I would say Nebraska because under Boyd Epley it was the first program to have strength and conditioning. Something that every athletic program not just football uses to this day.
Nebraska may have been the most influential program under Epley, but this was an article on the most influential team from one year.

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun

Alabama ran the wishbone from 1971 through Bryant's last year, 1982. They claimed three national titles in that timespan, so it was more than a stab.

Reactions: Gonzo3705

I'm not a great student of college football history, but Oklahoma did a lot of innovative things beginning with Bud Wilkinson, i.e., drills, player dorms, 47-game winning streak, perfected the Wishbone, etc.

You could also add USC (student body left and right), Nebraska (strength training and walk-ons) and Ohio State (Woody Hayes and Urban Meyer - credited with RPO concept, although I might argue Nebraska was running an RPO offense in the early 80s when Gill would read pass and then trigger the option as in the Orange Bowl on the pitch to Jeff Smith for a TD).

In '68 we thought Devaney had lost his influence.

"The Huskers were 6–4. They lost three Big 8 games at home and were shut out 47–0 at Oklahoma in the season finale. Nebraska did not play in a bowl game for the second consecutive year."

It was Bill Yeoman at Houston in 1964 who changed everything:

"In 1964, Bill Yeoman at Houston shook up college football when he unleashed his innovation, the Veer Option, onto the world. By adapting the split-T to his own needs and adding an extra read, Yeoman changed college football."

I'm not a great student of college football history, but Oklahoma did a lot of innovative things beginning with Bud Wilkinson, i.e., drills, player dorms, 47-game winning streak, perfected the Wishbone, etc.
You didn't state this directly, but it was Chuck Fairbanks who adopted the wishbone in 1970 at Oklahoma.

Wilkinson, however, did perfect NIL payments to players, about 75 years before it fell within the established rules.

You didn't state this directly, but it was Chuck Fairbanks who adopted the wishbone in 1970 at Oklahoma.

Wilkinson, however, did perfect NIL payments to players, about 75 years before it fell within the established rules.
That's why he was a natural to throw his hat into the political arena, he was a master of scams and kickbacks.

1913 Notre Dame

So what team from what year would you put ahead of them?
It sounds like an article written by a Texas alum to burnish the tarnished Image of the praying mantis of college football.

Q: what conference has Texas not destroyed?
A: The conference it has not joined yet

It sounds like an article written by a Texas alum to burnish the tarnished Image of the praying mantis of college football.

Q: what conference has Texas not destroyed?
A: The conference it has not joined yet
no offense, but the Big 12 still exists and it's an even better basketball conference than it was when we were there. As for the Greed angle..no argument there. Dodds was an arrogant prick who didn't give a shit about anyone but Texas and I hated him for it....but don't forget Nebraska also voted in favor of unequal revenue sharing. We weren't the only greedy program in the Big 12.

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT