ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee

oldjar07

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 25, 2009
Tennessee had yet another dominant win today. Since the post-TO era, I've seen it as the program with the closest resemblance to us. It's a program with a lot of tradition, great fan base, but has struggled with finding the right coaching staff until now. They go out and hire a great coaching staff and things can turn around quickly and they have a very real shot at a national title run this year. It also validates that a coach with a great offensive mind is worth his weight in gold. That's why my top 5 are all offensive guys, and it's the most realistic way we can hope to compete on the big stage again if we get a guy with a great offensive mind. That's just my two cents.

Frost was supposed to be a great offensive mind, and did better at UCF than Heupel. Heupel took over an undefeated team at UCF and three years later finished 6-4. Frost had the #1 offense at Oregon as Offensive Coordinator and made a national championship game, while Heupel got fired as offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. I don't think anyone expected him to turn Tennessee around so quickly.

Frost was supposed to be a great offensive mind, and did better at UCF than Heupel. Heupel took over an undefeated team at UCF and three years later finished 6-4. Frost had the #1 offense at Oregon as Offensive Coordinator and made a national championship game, while Heupel got fired as offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. I don't think anyone expected him to turn Tennessee around so quickly.
Offense wins games but defense wins championships.

Reactions: jimmykrackedkorn
He was a drunk more worried about banging coeds than coaching.

Tennessee had yet another dominant win today. Since the post-TO era, I've seen it as the program with the closest resemblance to us. It's a program with a lot of tradition, great fan base, but has struggled with finding the right coaching staff until now. They go out and hire a great coaching staff and things can turn around quickly and they have a very real shot at a national title run this year. It also validates that a coach with a great offensive mind is worth his weight in gold. That's why my top 5 are all offensive guys, and it's the most realistic way we can hope to compete on the big stage again if we get a guy with a great offensive mind. That's just my two cents.
Did Hype’l bring his whole staff with him from UCF?

His third year at UCF he had close losses against decent teams, it was a covid year, and he had Dillon Gabriel holding him back. I don't fault him too much for that. It was easy to tell from the moment he took over UCF he had a great offensive mind. I actually did expect that it was a possibility that he would turn Tennessee into a playoff contender, but I would have expected year 3 or 4 and not year 2.

Good post. But defensive guys like Smart and Lanning have also hit the ground running.

Who are your Top 5?

He has the Heisman winner (as of today) as his QB, which really helps.

Good post. But defensive guys like Smart and Lanning have also hit the ground running.

Who are your Top 5?
The problem is defense isn't going to differentiate us in the Big 10 by itself. I'd rather have a guy who can make even good defenses look silly, and that's exactly what Tennessee has. My top 5 guys at least have a chance of doing that, though we all know there's no guarantees.

1. Urban
2. Mullen
3. Herman
4. Petersen
5. Deboer

You could add someone like Kiffin or Freeze to the list though I don't consider them realistic options.

The problem is defense isn't going to differentiate us in the Big 10 by itself. I'd rather have a guy who can make even good defenses look silly, and that's exactly what Tennessee has. My top 5 guys at least have a chance of doing that, though we all know there's no guarantees.

1. Urban
2. Mullen
3. Herman
4. Petersen
5. Deboer

You could add someone like Kiffin or Freeze to the list though I don't consider them realistic options.

Kiffin is at the top of my list. I think he’s probably more realistic than Urban or Petersen. What about BOB?

1. Urban
2. Mullen
3. Herman
4. Petersen
5. Deboer

Herman "allegedly" brings the same bag of issues we just got rid off with Frost

No thanks

Reactions: TheNewNU
Kiffin is at the top of my list. I think he’s probably more realistic than Urban or Petersen. What about BOB?
I also don't know how well Kiffin's personality will go over for the long term, especially if he stops winning. If people thought Pelini's act wore thin, I guarantee they'll think the same about Kiffin over time and that's been evidenced by multiple places Kiffin has been. He's a great offensive mind though, no doubt about it. BoB is a good coach, I just think his offense plays too much into the Big 10 style instead of exploiting it. Kind of like Harbaugh struggling with the offensive side of the ball at Michigan for awhile.

Reactions: headcard
I’m also always for an offensive first coach. Coaches like Leach, Malzahn, and Heupel, have their system and identity. I’ll take that all day. To me, Coach Frost’s best offensive identity was his first year. I went back and watched some of those highlights…and we actually looked like UCF and Oregon out there. Something happened after that. Tempo slowed down and everything got sloppy. Frustrating.

He has the Heisman winner (as of today) as his QB, which really helps.

His scheme is making his qb and some of his wideouts look much better than they actually are. Its pointed out every game they play just how great they have been at making mismatches on the field.

• Haha
Reactions: thall_ and oldjar07
It’s simple. Obese coaches are now the new winners in cfb, who is that fattest bastard out there that can get us back?
I was thinking of an interesting theory yesterday watching fat beat us.

Fit coach like Frost = parties too much and has to dictate more time away from coaching to counter effects of alcohol diet (like any of us really)

Fat ass coach like BB = guy who could workout, but that takes time away from forming beasts of men on the field to be the specimens you yourself would be if not so busy with dedication to success.

I could just be bitter lol. But glad I'm not the only one noticing something at least!

Reactions: OAHU-SKER
Frost IS in fact a great offensive mind. His problems as a head coach had little to do with his offense.

His scheme is making his qb and some of his wideouts look much better than they actually are. Its pointed out every game they play just how great they have been at making mismatches on the field.
Exactly, Heupel's scheme is making his qb look much better than he really is, especially with a talented group of receivers. Hyatt should be up for the Heisman more than Hooker imo.

Exactly, Heupel's scheme is making his qb look much better than he really is, especially with a talented group of receivers. Hyatt should be up for the Heisman more than Hooker imo.
Tennessee has been pulling in great talent on their lines. Now they’ve got a good coach and a great QB. Heupel was very fortunate to land that job and that QB. He’s in a talent rich area at a school with a great tradition and fan base

I watched Heupel play in high school. He’s a coach’s kid and a very bright guy. I’m not surprised by his success but his QB would be good no matter where he played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT