Will we play at least four games?

• Yes

Votes: 113 58.2%
  • No

Votes: 81 41.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
this reflects the society we live in. most people don't care one way or another, as long as it doesn't impact them. this is probably true of most things in this world... people look, and think to themselves, "sucks to be you" and then move on with whatever it is they were doing. We look at one another and tell lies everyday, and sadly, we care very deeply about things that don't matter. Like what kind of car you are driving, what kind of house you live in, or whether or not your team is a blue blood or not.. things are very backward from what they should be, and everyone is likely guilty of it.

Yep, and the same would be true of all the people who happen to be unlucky enough to know of a person who died from a Covid related death. If they didn't know that person, they would have the same "sucks to be you" attitude. Except apparently you.

That's why I don't wear a mask when I'm not required and don't trust what is said about all of this.
must suck to be you. going around being paranoid all the time
Maybe we should abolish vehicles as well. How many die from auto accidents each year?
we spend billions of dollars ANNUALLY trying to make our vehicles as safe as possible. we spend billions of dollars ANNUALLY on the regulation of vehicles. we spend millions of dollars ANNUALLY enforcing vehicle laws. We spend as much on vehicle oversight as almost any industry in america. So i'm not sure where you get your impression that we dont treat vehicles serious. We might treat vehicles more seriously than any other cause of death in the country

You know people actually dying and conspiracies can co-exist right? Or are you just singling out 1 out of 1,000 possible conspiracies...?
a conspiracy theory that says death counts are raised purposefully and doctors opinions are generated by a desire to scare people and influence an election where deaths of elderly are minimized to suit their conspiracy theory cannot co-exist with legitimate empathy for those losing loved ones.

Yep, and the same would be true of all the people who happen to be unlucky enough to know of a person who died from a Covid related death. If they didn't know that person, they would have the same "sucks to be you" attitude. Except apparently you.
most the people i know are very emotionally affected by the tragedy happening to others. Yes it does increase when it hits someone you know but i would say you are actually the exception not the norm. i think most people care about others even those they dont know. i dont know how old you are but from your statements i'm guessing you are young. Empathy is hard to come by in youngsters. Thats why if you notice all the wise people over the centuries with all the famous life lessons are old people. We grow as we age and become more caring. i think your opinions will change as you grow up too. it happens to almost everyone

most the people i know are very emotionally affected by the tragedy happening to others. Yes it does increase when it hits someone you know but i would say you are actually the exception not the norm. i think most people care about others even those they dont know. i dont know how old you are but from your statements i'm guessing you are young. Empathy is hard to come by in youngsters. Thats why if you notice all the wise people over the centuries with all the famous life lessons are old people. We grow as we age and become more caring. i think your opinions will change as you grow up too. it happens to almost everyone

Wrong

Reactions: leodisflowers
must suck to be you. going around being paranoid all the time

we spend billions of dollars ANNUALLY trying to make our vehicles as safe as possible. we spend billions of dollars ANNUALLY on the regulation of vehicles. we spend millions of dollars ANNUALLY enforcing vehicle laws. We spend as much on vehicle oversight as almost any industry in america. So i'm not sure where you get your impression that we dont treat vehicles serious. We might treat vehicles more seriously than any other cause of death in the country

He didn't write that "we" don't treat vehicles serious. He wrote that because so many people die on the roads that we should abolish vehicles. No more money will be spent on vehicles, vehicle safety, vehicle regulation, and vehicle laws.

But with all the billions being spent, we still have 1.3 million people die from vehicle related deaths every year in the world. Does it suck for the families of those people, yes. I feel bad for them. But I probably don't give it much though on the daily. Just like you don't give it much thought.

I hate cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc. But unless it affects me personally. it is a background thing. When I read about a kid dying from cancer, I empathize for the moment, thank God I am not yet in that situation and go about my day. Again just like you.

Then when it affects you, your perception changes and you do more. Again, just like you

He didn't write that "we" don't treat vehicles serious. He wrote that because so many people die on the roads that we should abolish vehicles. No more money will be spent on vehicles, vehicle safety, vehicle regulation, and vehicle laws.

But with all the billions being spent, we still have 1.3 million people die from vehicle related deaths every year in the world. Does it suck for the families of those people, yes. I feel bad for them. But I probably don't give it much though on the daily. Just like you don't give it much thought.

I hate cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc. But unless it affects me personally. it is a background thing. When I read about a kid dying from cancer, I empathize for the moment, thank God I am not yet in that situation and go about my day. Again just like you.

Then when it affects you, your perception changes and you do more. Again, just like you
dude that is not just like me. you keep telling yourself that everyone is the same to make yourself feel better if thats what it takes to be comfortable in your shoes

dude that is not just like me. you keep telling yourself that everyone is the same to make yourself feel better if thats what it takes to be comfortable in your shoes

So how do you allocate 24 hours in a day to all of those diseases and still hold a job? Do you sleep? How do you meet anyone? Do you and the wife sit around the dinner table and talk about all the world ailments? How do you even keep up with a football message board?

a conspiracy theory that says death counts are raised purposefully and doctors opinions are generated by a desire to scare people and influence an election where deaths of elderly are minimized to suit their conspiracy theory cannot co-exist with legitimate empathy for those losing loved ones.

lol except deaths actually HAVE been well documented several times to be counted as Covid even if it straight up IS something else or unknown...so no theory there. Just facts. Hell, there’s people on this very message board that have stated they had relatives falsely labeled as Covid deaths...This is well documented several times over by probably thousands of different people by now. You obviously also missed where CBS straight up staged fake patients for completely fake coverage of a Chicago testing site. Look it up. You had to have missed where CBS used coverage of an Italian hospital not just once for fake New York coverage, but after apologizing, used it AGAIN for a California hospital...Look it up. These are not theories, these things happened, and you can’t run from them anymore. You are shielding yourself from reality. Face the facts. Why is there so much mother fakery going on with this?? You’re passing all of this off as “happy accidents” Bob Ross, and that is just bad logic.

that is why I wrote: "and everyone is likely guilty of it." at the very end.

Ok. We understand that you care deeply about every human on this planet. So why aren't you pushing to abolish vehicles. You would save 1.3 million lives ANNUALLY (not sure why you like this in all caps, but I’ll play along).

Most reasonable people understand there is a risk when getting behind the wheel. Most take precautions, like wearing a seatbelt, to decrease chance of death. Wearing a N95 mask when out in public is somewhat like wearing a seatbelt while driving.

According to UNMC, no students should be going back to class in Omaha in two weeks:

https://www.ketv.com/article/covid-...should-be-in-class-unmc-report-shows/33438788

SO why don't the kids go back and they use younger teachers who are just starting to run the in-class function with possibly seasoned teachers zooming in? If they are worried about the adults, solve that problem. If kids don't go back to school and we think virtual school is the answer, we are going to have big problems in the future. There is plenty of research already showing that virtual school isn't working for a heavy portion of the school age population. Add on to the fact you are going to screw over a ton of household where one parent may have to make an employment decision to stay home because of this. Get the kids in school.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
maybe the practice of hiring tutors will come back in vogue for those parents that really want the best in education for their kids?

just get rid of the public school system all together, and the property taxes to go along with it.

SO why don't the kids go back and they use younger teachers who are just starting to run the in-class function with possibly seasoned teachers zooming in? If they are worried about the adults, solve that problem. If kids don't go back to school and we think virtual school is the answer, we are going to have big problems in the future. There is plenty of research already showing that virtual school isn't working for a heavy portion of the school age population. Add on to the fact you are going to screw over a ton of household where one parent may have to make an employment decision to stay home because of this. Get the kids in school.

Because that is ****ing stupid?

Because that is ****ing stupid?

Great comeback... So tell me why kids shouldn't go to school then if you are such an expert... Tell me how virtual schooling is better.... Tell me how sending kids back is going to change the Covid numbers so drastically.... Give me something instead of just spouting off.

Great comeback... So tell me why kids shouldn't go to school then if you are such an expert... Tell me how virtual schooling is better.... Tell me how sending kids back is going to change the Covid numbers so drastically.... Give me something instead of just spouting off.

- Kids should not go to school because of what UNMC's study says: Omaha is currently experiencing "unhindered" transmission rates.

- Virtual schooling is not better, it's extremely limited and definitely has its problems, but we don't have much choice right now, thanks to the situation we are in.

- Putting children and teachers in closed buildings with air conditioning on is exactly how this virus spreads most easily. All that will do is infect children, teachers, administrators, and parents in numbers we haven't even seen yet.

- Kids should not go to school because of what UNMC's study says: Omaha is currently experiencing "unhindered" transmission rates.

- Virtual schooling is not better, it's extremely limited and definitely has its problems, but we don't have much choice right now, thanks to the situation we are in.

- Putting children and teachers in closed buildings with air conditioning on is exactly how this virus spreads most easily. All that will do is infect children, teachers, administrators, and parents in numbers we haven't even seen yet.

1. UNMC says one thing, but didn't the Society for Pediatrics say something different? Which is right? Who makes that determination?
2. We agree on virtual schooling sucks.
3. I'm not following it as closely anymore, but wasn't there something that school age kids aren't passing it to adults? Also, wasn't there studies saying that you are much more likely to die of the flu or in a car accident then your were of Covid if you are a school age person?

Look, I get trying to protect the vulnerable, but we need to look for solutions for kids to be in school. In my original post, I spoke about having a parent potentially having to stay at home and lose income if schools are closed. This could really hurt a number of families. My family will be in this boat in a few years as our oldest goes to Kindergarten in 2021. Right now my wife and I both have great jobs and have done well for ourselves, but that could all come crashing down in a year because we are over reacting for a virus that probably kills .02% that it infects with a heavy skew towards the older folks or folks with issues. I'm not discounting the virus in any way. This thing is gnarly and there is still a ton we don't know about it as things seem to change every day. With that said, I'd rather be able to live my life and take my chances then be told to do anything by the government. My tune would be different if this was Ebola or what we thought this virus might be early on, or if anyone had a concrete plan of action, but none of that is the case.

1. UNMC says one thing, but didn't the Society for Pediatrics say something different? Which is right? Who makes that determination?
3. I'm not following it as closely anymore, but wasn't there something that school age kids aren't passing it to adults? Also, wasn't there studies saying that you are much more likely to die of the flu or in a car accident then your were of Covid if you are a school age person?

Look, I get trying to protect the vulnerable, but we need to look for solutions for kids to be in school. In my original post, I spoke about having a parent potentially having to stay at home and lose income if schools are closed. This could really hurt a number of families. My family will be in this boat in a few years as our oldest goes to Kindergarten in 2021. Right now my wife and I both have great jobs and have done well for ourselves, but that could all come crashing down in a year because we are over reacting for a virus that probably kills .02% that it infects with a heavy skew towards the older folks or folks with issues. I'm not discounting the virus in any way. This thing is gnarly and there is still a ton we don't know about it as things seem to change every day. With that said, I'd rather be able to live my life and take my chances then be told to do anything by the government. My tune would be different if this was Ebola or what we thought this virus might be early on, or if anyone had a concrete plan of action, but none of that is the case.

1.) No, what the American Academy of Pediatrics said was that little kids in particular need a structured environment to learn well. They have also said, NUMEROUS times, that their recommendations are flexible because the situation in COVID-19 changes rapidly. You can read all about it here:

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2...ons-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/

2.) It's limited and puts a lot of stress on parents. It's better than nothing, but yes, it sucks.

3.) Kids absolutely pass it to adults. Not to use anecdotal evidence, but I know two adults who right now are very sick with it because their kids got it in daycare, were asymptomatic or just mildly fussy, and passed it to them. And the current death rate for COVID-19 in America is slightly under 4% as an aggregate, not .02%, and I know that because I had to crunch numbers for you people on this forum when I was comparing us to Sweden. That number only goes up the more you put people in situations where they can be exposed to it.

Today's numbers (rounded for expediency):

Infections: 4,400,000
Deaths: 150,000

150,000/4,400,000 - .034318, or 3.43% fatality rate.

The entire point of dealing with a massive, society-wide pandemic is you need government to provide the resources and the guidance to get through it. Forced to not work and care for your kids? You should have government assistance to get you through it. You should accept the mandates to wear masks to stop the unhindered spread of the disease. You should vote for public healthcare to allow everyone to be treated for this and any other health problem to remove the tie to access to healthcare from being employed or not. You want to preserve the economy? Inject money into it to keep the wheels moving.

Only Americans on the far right have a problem with this. You should see what people in other countries say about us right now. They cannot believe people, like you, are stupid enough to still say government is bad when government is one of the only things, proven around the world, that can control this pandemic and preserve our way of life. In point of fact, the poison that the Republican party has been spewing into society for the last 30-40 years is directly responsible for why we are doing such a god-awful job of handling this pandemic. They are, rightly, going to get their asses handed to them in November, and hopefully collapse and rebuild themselves into a far more reasonable conservative party, which, long ago, they once were.

UNMC is a national leader in the topic and you have the classic local vs remote issue of who's helping to make decisions. Its possible local official rely on someone in their backyard a little bit more.

UNMC is a national leader in the topic and you have the classic local vs remote issue of who's helping to make decisions. Its possible local official rely on someone in their backyard a little bit more.
The UNMC is working from a standpoint solely of limiting the number of cases. Their guidelines don't consider mental health, the effects on working families, or the effect on the economy. There's no balance. It's purely medicine. That's their job. Our world doesn't work that way.

The UNMC is working from a standpoint solely of limiting the number of cases. Their guidelines don't consider mental health, the effects on working families, or the effect on the economy. There's no balance. It's purely medicine. That's their job. Our world doesn't work that way.

True. But the general accepted aim of policy makers at this point in time seems to be concentrated on limiting the number of cases.

They made that explicitly clear when it comes to college football and is the underlying current of various governor's proclamations (red or blue).

Overall good news. They have to do anything they can to preserve a season if they can have one, or at least part of one.

I read the other day (prior to the Marilns thing) that a B1G official who is on the conference calls with UNMC/medical taskforce had pegged the chance of B1G football this fall at 15%.

Surprising, for one, because no one as of yet had attempted to put a number to it, and certainly not in print. And two, it was quite a bit lower than was I was thinking (1 in 3 probably) given the money outcome.

Sort of every man for himself at this point. If that 15% is at all a real number, we could very well face a season with no Huskers but we get to watch a little B12 before its shut down or whatever.

Reactions: SkerInCo
True. But the general accepted aim of policy makers at this point in time seems to be concentrated on limiting the number of cases.

They made that explicitly clear when it comes to college football and is the underlying current of various governor's proclamations (red or blue).
where did any conference commissioner say cases must be x in order to play? just today, the Big 12 is actively allowing their members to add games to their schedules (across state lines, too (GASP!)).

governors posture all the time. begging people to wear a mask while threatening no college football is far from an explicit line in the sand.

where did any conference commissioner say cases must be x in order to play? just today, the Big 12 is actively allowing their members to add games to their schedules (across state lines, too (GASP!)).

governors posture all the time. begging people to wear a mask while threatening no college football is far from an explicit line in the sand.

No one has a drawn a line in the sand and said "oh hey we need less than 500 cases a day to play" or whatever.

But both governors and commissioners have indicated that case counts being what they are, is a big sticking point in having fall sports.

Extreme opinions aside, most people realize that this isn't about the mental health of athletes in college if they can't play this fall. In some ways its not even about the physical health of athletes, most won't have symptoms, some few with symptoms will develop lung issues, and even fewer will die. Folks have sort of fought on the edges the risks of athletes dragging the virus elsewhere.

To not put too fine a point on it, the NCAA did summarize it nicely with their chart (and yes I'm aware Emmert has no say)...."NCAA FB collectively thought the case count would have dwindled off to here when we got all excited in June, but it hasn't done that so....."

Various folks in NCAA FB and govt have noted that it would be hard to have a season when they aren't sure if they can do athlete testing in the flare up environment on the timeline they need, certain areas are seeing ICU issues, and just the general outbreak of case counts near college towns to begin with. If we want to say NCAA FB is being hamstrung by some other issue, I'm all for entertaining that.

Edit: I might add you seemed to indicate in a post the other day we were on course to have the case count load go down and have football normal-ish until the police incident that sparked riots that helped bring that case count back up. So I didn't consider my statement...contentious.

Last edited:
And while those guidelines are for K-12, I will be curious if they will use them when making decisions regarding their own on campus learning, or if it will be a do as I say, not as I do.

Edit: I might add you seemed to indicate in a post the other day we were on course to have the case count load go down and have football normal-ish until the police incident that sparked riots that helped bring that case count back up.
that's a fact. governors at that time were saying, on the record, that we'd have at least 50% capacity in stadiums across the country.

case count, whatever. you won't see anyone draw a line in the sand because, like you said, leaders will do everything they can to ensure a season while simultaneously petting the belly of the social media mob with their public comments. behind closed doors, they're likely much more annoyed by "officials' stances" than they are concerned. they want to fly under the radar until gameday, all the while quietly announcing that everything's right on track for an on-time start.

this is about the health of one single thing: bank accounts.

1.) No, what the American Academy of Pediatrics said was that little kids in particular need a structured environment to learn well. They have also said, NUMEROUS times, that their recommendations are flexible because the situation in COVID-19 changes rapidly. You can read all about it here:

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2...ons-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/

2.) It's limited and puts a lot of stress on parents. It's better than nothing, but yes, it sucks.

3.) Kids absolutely pass it to adults. Not to use anecdotal evidence, but I know two adults who right now are very sick with it because their kids got it in daycare, were asymptomatic or just mildly fussy, and passed it to them. And the current death rate for COVID-19 in America is slightly under 4% as an aggregate, not .02%, and I know that because I had to crunch numbers for you people on this forum when I was comparing us to Sweden. That number only goes up the more you put people in situations where they can be exposed to it.

Today's numbers (rounded for expediency):

Infections: 4,400,000
Deaths: 150,000

150,000/4,400,000 - .034318, or 3.43% fatality rate.

The entire point of dealing with a massive, society-wide pandemic is you need government to provide the resources and the guidance to get through it. Forced to not work and care for your kids? You should have government assistance to get you through it. You should accept the mandates to wear masks to stop the unhindered spread of the disease. You should vote for public healthcare to allow everyone to be treated for this and any other health problem to remove the tie to access to healthcare from being employed or not. You want to preserve the economy? Inject money into it to keep the wheels moving.

Only Americans on the far right have a problem with this. You should see what people in other countries say about us right now. They cannot believe people, like you, are stupid enough to still say government is bad when government is one of the only things, proven around the world, that can control this pandemic and preserve our way of life. In point of fact, the poison that the Republican party has been spewing into society for the last 30-40 years is directly responsible for why we are doing such a god-awful job of handling this pandemic. They are, rightly, going to get their asses handed to them in November, and hopefully collapse and rebuild themselves into a far more reasonable conservative party, which, long ago, they once were.

You had to go make it political and name call after we were having a decent convo... Good for you. ALso if you think the fatality rate is 3.43% you'd be wrong.

You had to go make it political and name call after we were having a decent convo... Good for you. ALso if you think the fatality rate is 3.43% you'd be wrong.
everyone knows 100% of infections have been detected and those numbers are absolute. c'mon, man.

this virus is known to manifest itself without symptoms in a large number of people. those people, intuitively, get tested at just the right time in order to ensure that 100% of infections are documented. it's science, right, @DudznSudz!?

I mean, its pretty simple. I don't always agree with it, but those folks on the county health boards and the local school leadership and the mayors and governors are all the folks that are going to make those decisions.

You can find a doctor for anything these days. UNMC might advise to shut it down. Pediatrics might say open it up. Just quote one and move on, easy mode. But its those folks in charge are supposed to take those recommendations and make a judgement call based on the totality of the situation.

Problem is, case count is a "sticker shock" metric for the decision makers. Lots decisions have slanted towards lowering that metric. And its not hard to see why, some two thirds of Americans in various polls have indicated prioritizing covid response over the economy. Which again, you might find yourself in the minority view there, but that's not UNMC's or the Pediatrics problem, its the guy you voted for.

Which may or may not be your opinion. But its a driving force to be sure.

You want to preserve the economy? Inject money into it to keep the wheels moving.

Only Americans on the far right have a problem with this.

Let’s see if DudznThudz ducks me for the 3rd time in a week LOL.

Hi there, independent voter here. Super against printing more fake money to “keep the wheels moving”. By wheels you must mean keep the price of goods going up and up in relation to the amount printed because no work is being completed for said fake money. Unless we pay it back in taxes, in which case still no one is gaining any money and will make it even harder for everyone to get ahead than it already is for many people. I thought we learned about why this never works in middle school but maybe you skipped that month.

Welfare=printing money
Unemployment = printing money
Covid relief checks=printing money

See: 1920’s Germany
2007 Zimbabwe
1946 Hungary
2015-2020 Venezuela

Countries are already dumping the dollar and this would highly accelerate that process. This in my opinion could be the single most important reason why we cannot sit on our asses and lock everything down. If people were more independent such as 300 years ago, could farm, make clothes, tools etc. it wouldn’t be an issue but we have been corporatized into useful idiots and our economy is in a much different place.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Let’s see if DudznThudz ducks me for the 3rd time in a week LOL.

Hi there, independent voter here. Super against printing more fake money to “keep the wheels moving”. By wheels you must mean keep the price of goods going up and up in relation to the amount printed because no work is being completed for said fake money. Unless we pay it back in taxes, in which case still no one is gaining any money and will make it even harder for everyone to get ahead than it already is for many people. I thought we learned about why this never works in middle school but maybe you skipped that month.

Welfare=printing money
Unemployment = printing money
Covid relief checks=printing money

See: 1920’s Germany
2007 Zimbabwe
1946 Hungary
2015-2020 Venezuela

Countries are already dumping the dollar and this would highly accelerate that process. This in my opinion could be the single most important reason why we cannot sit on our asses and lock everything down. If people were more independent such as 300 years ago, could farm, make clothes, tools etc. it wouldn’t be an issue but we have been corporatized into useful idiots and our economy is in a much different place.
Countries are not dumping the dollar. In fact, due to the fed repo market, they are tying their wagons to the US dollar.

You're right that inflation is coming, due to all the printing, but one could easily argue that the dollar is just getting started as the global currency reserve.

The Hong Kong dollar is going to disappear, and nobody would trust China's currency.

Keep yourself invested in the markets and watch everything re-flate, and take advantage of economic cycles.

I voted no, primarily because we're in the B1G. If we don't start until mid Sept, other schools will have been on the field ~ 3 weeks by then with now week 0 games? We're going to have close to a month for Warren to change his mind, if he doesn't cancel outright soon.

But that's dirty knowledge, I don't think that information pre-dated this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT