ADVERTISEMENT

Talent

Good point. Iowa drilled OSU a few years ago with far less talent and they seem to hand w them every year otherwise. Explain this??

The team Iowa blasted was nowhere near this team. Now I concede we shouldn't get totally rocked like we did, but there is no way Iowa is anywhere close if they played this year. If Iowa makes it to the Big 10 Title game, OSU probably hangs 50 on them as well.

Yes they would. Let's not get too crazy here. All of them are talents and would find the field at OSU in some sort of fashion. They may not start, but they would see the field. Our OL??? Not a chance. You need those guys to open up things for the other 3 listed.
their WRs/RBs are high draft picks who make an instant impact on NFL teams.

ours are 5'9" future insurance salesmen.

their WRs/RBs are high draft picks who make an instant impact on NFL teams.

ours are 5'9" future insurance salesmen.

I guess we will see, but I can see all three that you listed making a roster in the NFL. Both Mo and Wandale could be lethal @ OSU and would definitely play.

So then why did Florida Atlantic, on the road, play OSU much tougher than we did at home?
first game of the year for a new QB and new head coach. I don't think there's any question that OSU has improved each and every week. BTW, FAU has some very good talent and probably better talent than NU at some positions. I would venture that their upperclassmen bring more to the table right now than ours do.

I am interested to know when we look back at this game a few years from now how many guys on OSU's roster ended up playing in the NFL whether through the draft or signed as an undrafted free agent. I was guesstimating maybe between 6-10 for each of their classes but that may be aiming high.

I then thought of Nebraska and wondered if our entire total would be more than even one year of OSU's. They got some talented players and coaches in Columbus.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I am interested to know when we look back at this game a few years from now how many guys on OSU's roster ended up playing in the NFL whether through the draft or signed as an undrafted free agent. I was guesstimating maybe between 6-10 for each of their classes but that may be aiming high.

I then thought of Nebraska and wondered if our entire total would be more than even one year of OSU's. They got some talented players and coaches in Columbus.
No, they will send more to the draft this year than we have the last 3.

Reactions: dinglefritz
No, they will send more to the draft this year than we have the last 3.
This article says 14 Buckeyes in the 2020 draft. That doesn't count Fields, who is slated for one of the top two slots in 2021.

Nebraska has had a total of 14 in the last seven drafts:
2019 (0)

2018 (1)
6th Round - Tanner Lee, QB, Jacksonville

2017 (1)
5th Round - Nate Gerry, S, Philadelphia

2016 (4)
3rd Round - Vincent Valentine, DT, New England
3nd Round - Maliek Collins, DT, Dallas
4th Round - Alex Lewis, OT, Baltimore
6th Round - Andy Janovich, FB, Denver

2015 (3)
2nd Round - Ameer Abdullah, RB, Detroit
2nd Round - Randy Gregory, DE, Dallas
5th Round - Kenny Bell, WR, Tampa Bay

2014 (3)
2nd Round - Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, New Orleans
3rd Round - Spencer Long, OG, Washington
6th Round - Quincy Enunwa, WR, New York Jets

2013 (2)
6th Round - Rex Burkhead, RB, Cincinnati
7th Round - Daimion Stafford, SS, Tennessee

The team Iowa blasted was nowhere near this team. Now I concede we shouldn't get totally rocked like we did, but there is no way Iowa is anywhere close if they played this year. If Iowa makes it to the Big 10 Title game, OSU probably hangs 50 on them as well.
Iowa has a decent team but yeah, this OSU team is totally different ESPECIALLY on the defensive side. Urban's problem (he didn't have many) was not being able to fire his assistants - many were his close friends. Day parted ways with all of Urban's defensive assistants except DL coach Larry Johnson who might be the best DL coach in the country. This year's OSU defensive team is a lockdown unit.

And everybody keeps pointing to the Iowa victory over OSU but I believe I read OSU had won 9 out of the last 10 - the 2017 upset being that one.

I don't believe you guys are that bad at all. You just ran into buzzsaw Saturday night. Can OSU be beat ? Of course. But it's going to take a near perfect game to do it.

This article says 14 Buckeyes in the 2020 draft. That doesn't count Fields, who is slated for one of the top two slots in 2021.

Nebraska has had a total of 14 in the last seven drafts:
2019 (0)

2018 (1)
6th Round - Tanner Lee, QB, Jacksonville

2017 (1)
5th Round - Nate Gerry, S, Philadelphia

2016 (4)
3rd Round - Vincent Valentine, DT, New England
3nd Round - Maliek Collins, DT, Dallas
4th Round - Alex Lewis, OT, Baltimore
6th Round - Andy Janovich, FB, Denver

2015 (3)
2nd Round - Ameer Abdullah, RB, Detroit
2nd Round - Randy Gregory, DE, Dallas
5th Round - Kenny Bell, WR, Tampa Bay

2014 (3)
2nd Round - Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, New Orleans
3rd Round - Spencer Long, OG, Washington
6th Round - Quincy Enunwa, WR, New York Jets

2013 (2)
6th Round - Rex Burkhead, RB, Cincinnati
7th Round - Daimion Stafford, SS, Tennessee
Jesus that's depressing.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not surprising that NU has been more competitive on the field with teams whose NFL draft pick volume the past few years more closely mirrors NU's - i.e. Colorado, Purdue, and Northwestern. Until Frost has the time and (hopefully) success in recruiting to elevate the talent and depth, results both on the field and on draft day suggest our talent level is below the upper tier B1G teams and about on par with other mid-or lower level power 5 conference team talent. That seems to be reality. I won't bring up that we're also 0-4 against the teams mentioned above the past 2 seasons - hopefully that changes on Sat.

Below are the NFL draft picks (total/1st and 2nd round picks) from 2017-2019 for NU vs upper tier B1G teams.

Ohio State - 22/8
Michigan - 18/4
Wisconsin - 12/2
Penn St - 12/2
Iowa - 11/4
Neb - 2/0

Not saying talent is the only factor in where we are/have been, but its a big factor in why we are looking up at these teams.
We had better recruiting rankings than 2 of those teams in the years leading up to those drafts.

We had better recruiting rankings than 2 of those teams in the years leading up to those drafts.
Your recruiting ranking doesn't play when some of your highest ranked guys bust and when your strength and conditioning program is optional. We've been a mess for years and we haven't played up to the potential of most of our recruiting classes. That will change.

Sir, they didn't ever get a #1 recruiting result under TO and also didn't even get really great recruiting rankings until after winning the 1994 NC.
The '90, '92, and '93 classes were ranked pretty highly and performed as such. I believe one recruiting service ranked NU's '85 class #1 with Broderick Thomas, Steve Taylor, and LeRoy Etienne as the headliners.

I guess we will see, but I can see all three that you listed making a roster in the NFL. Both Mo and Wandale could be lethal @ OSU and would definitely play.
Your crazy tonight leodis. #28 is not an nfl player unless he gets tougher, sturdier, and stays out of prison

Wisconsin has never won a widely-recognized national championship (they got a share in 1942) and hasn't won a conference title since 2012 when Ohio State wasn't allowed to go to the CCG and went 12-0 under Urban Meyer. That Wisconsin team was 8-6.

They have been to the CCG three times since then and have lost to OSU twice (including a 59-0 whoopassing) and PSU once.

It's admirable what Wisconsin does. It's also the exception, not the rule. Wisconsin is not a formula for elite, it's a formula for pretty good.

Wisconsin has never won a widely-recognized national championship (they got a share in 1942) and hasn't won a conference title since 2012 when Ohio State wasn't allowed to go to the CCG and went 12-0 under Urban Meyer. That Wisconsin team was 8-6.

They have been to the CCG three times since then and have lost to OSU twice (including a 59-0 whoopassing) and PSU once.

It's admirable what Wisconsin does. It's also the exception, not the rule. Wisconsin is not a formula for elite, it's a formula for pretty good.

Yes, Sir. There will be exceptions from time to time, last year a similar graphic was posted and Washington State was the outlier, but to win big, you need big-time players. Everyone is paying big money to smart coaches, lifting weights, etc. You need to find and develop guys with huge talent/upside to compete for titles.

Last edited:

Well, their "pretty good" status is about 5,000 light years above where we are now and have been for years & years. Quite similar when NU ran over people. Gee, it's too bad TO didn't know he would never reach elite status running the ball so hard (like Wisconsin).

Anyways, for me, I would give about anything to have a running game similar to what the Cheese heads have. I've been watching us lose & lose & lose for about forever throwing the ball around endlessly.

Well, their "pretty good" status is about 5,000 light years above where we are now and have been for years & years. Quite similar when NU ran over people. Gee, it's too bad TO didn't know he would never reach elite status running the ball so hard (like Wisconsin).

Anyways, for me, I would give about anything to have a running game similar to what the Cheese heads have. I've been watching us lose & lose & lose for about forever throwing the ball around endlessly.
I believe you have completely missed the point. Modern day Wisconsin is not vintage Nebraska, not at all. We had big time talent and NFL players. We also had a big time schematic advantage. Modern day Wisconsin is much more like the KSU of old.

I believe you have completely missed the point. Modern day Wisconsin is not vintage Nebraska, not at all. We had big time talent and NFL players. We also had a big time schematic advantage. Modern day Wisconsin is much more like the KSU of old.
Yep. I made a whole thread about 90s recruiting and how those NU teams had elite athletes on them. Tom didn't win any rings with Wisconsin's caliber of talent. He got Wisconsin results with Wisconsin talent. 9 wins, Big 8 champs (remember no CCGs in those days), get smacked in the bowl game by some team from Florida with better athletes.

He had Top 10-15 classes and the #1 option QB recruit in the nation backed up by one of the top dual threat QB recruits in 94 and 95. Frost was a top dual threat QB recruit out of HS as well. Ahman Green was an elite RB recruit.

I understand that we have to be Wisco good before we can be OSU good, but I don't wanna EVER see their recruiting formula become ours.

Reactions: headcard

Well, I don't recall KSU crushing NU year after year after year.....but if you say so.

You don't remember Bo screaming in Bill Snyder's face for running it up on his defense?

I really don't see upset coaches being the same thing as slaughtered NU teams. Here's the last six times we played them...

2012 Wisconsin 70 - NU 31
2014 Wisconsin 59 - NU 24
2015 Wisconsin 23 - NU 21
2016 Wisconsin 23 - NU 17
2017 Wisconsin 38 - NU 17
2018 Wisconsin 41 - NU 24

Not a real pretty sight......I very highly doubt KSU did anything like this to us.

I really don't see upset coaches being the same thing as slaughtered NU teams. Here's the last six times we played them...

Not a real pretty sight......I very highly doubt KSU did anything like this to us.

Choking on whiskey...not fun.

Well, I don't recall KSU crushing NU year after year after year.....but if you say so.
They would crush the current version of Nebraska. Those were very good teams, that maximized talent, they just were never talented enough to beat the Nebraska's and Florida State's at that time. Kind of like Wisconsin today.

Let's look at the best 10 year stretch for each team:

KSU (93-02): 9x Top 25, 9x Top 20, 6x Top 10, 0 National Championships
Wisconsin (09-18): 8x Top 25, 6x Top 20, 3x Top 10, O National Championships
Nebraska (92-01): 10x Top 25, 10x Top 20, 8x Top 10, 3 National Championships

2002: KSU 49 NU 13

2003: KSU 38 NU 9

2004: KSU 45 NU 21

Then Snider retired and they nosedived. They also beat NU in 1998 and 2000.

2002: KSU 49 NU 13

2003: KSU 38 NU 9

2004: KSU 45 NU 21

Then Snider retired and they nosedived.
From 98-04, they beat us 5 of 7 years. And the two we won were 99 and 01. The '99 team finished #2 and the '01 team #6. Comparing the Nebraska teams KSU beat to the ones on the field today is just silly.

Although OSU does get many highly rated players, I think that its talent evaluation of non-highly rated players has been very good. For instance I believe AJ Hawk was a 2-star. Current very good sophomore receiver, Chris Olave was a 3-star. Joe Burrow was a medium 4-star who Tom Herman had to persuade Urban Meyer to recruit. He very much wanted to go to Nebraska, but Nebraska passed on him. Too bad Burrow was slightly beaten out by Haskins, but we at OSU all knew he was a very, very good qb. Not taking Burrow was a big Nebraska recruiting mistake.

Talent-wise its plain and simple. It's OSU then Michigan then everyone else in the BIG. The distance between OSU and UM is pretty wide too (@QB, RB and the secondary)

WISC in the west is the most capable team to put up a real fight against the Buckeyes. They can eat up clock, score and have the OL and DL to compete 4Q with them. However, I still think they would be 10 point dogs on a neutral field.

I think Nebraska can/will compete eventually BUT its going to take a few more cycles of players. Need a talented experienced OL and DL (meaning a few 1st & 2nd all BIG players) a STUD QB who doesn't turn it over and a speedy D that creates turnovers. I think getting RBs and WRs in this offense is very doable. QB, OL and DL recruiting is going to make or break it.

Right now nebraska is pretty far off from that. A young OL, the DL is adequate but lacking a pass rusher (might be lucky to have a 2nd team ALL BIG player here), and a good QB who is turnover prone. On top of that add in a spotty defense and problems in the kicking game.

Although OSU does get many highly rated players, I think that its talent evaluation of non-highly rated players has been very good. For instance I believe AJ Hawk was a 2-star. Current very good sophomore receiver, Chris Olave was a 3-star. Joe Burrow was a medium 4-star who Tom Herman had to persuade Urban Meyer to recruit. He very much wanted to go to Nebraska, but Nebraska passed on him. Too bad Burrow was slightly beaten out by Haskins, but we at OSU all knew he was a very, very good qb. Not taking Burrow was a big Nebraska recruiting mistake.
As I recall Burrow was a high 3 star and in fact had little to no interest in coming to Nebraska. Likewise Nebraska didn't exactly beat Burrow's door down. That wasn't Pelini or Riley's style unfortunately. I don't remember for sure but I think Burrow was kind of a backup plan for Meyer as well. Seems to me that he was hot after a higher ranked prospect that he didn't land.

As I recall Burrow was a high 3 star and in fact had little to no interest in coming to Nebraska. Likewise Nebraska didn't exactly beat Burrow's door down. That wasn't Pelini or Riley's style unfortunately. I don't remember for sure but I think Burrow was kind of a backup plan for Meyer as well. Seems to me that he was hot after a higher ranked prospect that he didn't land.
Burrow's father was a player and coach at Nebraska. Burrow definitely wanted to come. He was ranked as 4-star by 247. https://247sports.com/Player/Joe-Burrow-36575/ Am pretty sure he was Mr. Ohio in football.

Will try to find story about Burrow and recruitment and add it soon. [Found it several minutes later] Here is link where Pelini passed on Joe. https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_f8b3cffc-5645-551a-b89b-8af9216da928.html

Additional later edit. Here is summary of Herman's recruitment of Joe. Joe said OSU was the only big time school that recruited him. https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-tom-herman-lsus-joe-burrow-already-history/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT