ADVERTISEMENT

Talent

Native Nebraskan

Sophomore
Feb 20, 2006
when Nebraska starts recruiting 3 to 4; 5 star players every year is when we will be giving the OSUs a run.

The game is about talent on the field.

Reactions: SOCALHSKR
when Nebraska starts recruiting 3 to 4; 5 star players every year is when we will be giving the OSUs a run.

This is why I laugh at those that say Frost was out-coached last night. You can't be out-coached if the other team has better talent than you. Every now and then a less talented team will rise up and win a game they should not, that is an upset. If a less talented team turns the ball over 3 times in the first half it usually leads to a blowout. We don't have to like it but it is what it is.

It will tough to pull highly rated 4 & 5 stars players around the country especially in the south to come here to play. Lets see what Frost can do in a few years. If this program stays stagnant for the next few years with 3-4 loses then Frost needs to go another school where he can win.

This is why I laugh at those that say Frost was out-coached last night. You can't be out-coached if the other team has better talent than you. Every now and then a less talented team will rise up and win a game they should not, that is an upset. If a less talented team turns the ball over 3 times in the first half it usually leads to a blowout. We don't have to like it but it is what it is.

I don’t totally agree with that. It was pretty obvious that the OSU D was prepared and seemed to know what Nebraska was going to do before it was done on a lot of snaps minus the initial drive when we went into the “I”.

But I totally agree that it makes it really had to not look outcoached when you are going against a team with numerous future NFL picks and you have probably none for at least for next year.

It will be interesting to see how a team like Northwestern, which has equivalent or less talent than Nebraska, does against them.

Totally disagree Nebraska has been ranked ahead of Iowa each of the last five years and have only managed one victory. Ohio State severely beats Iowa in the rankings and Iowa can hang with and occasionally beat Ohio State. Talent is a sad excuse!

Reactions: Wing-Back

Oh Gawd.....then I guess TO should never have won those NCs. He never had a #1 recruiting result....so his NCs shouldn't have counted!

If it’s only about talent, then Lane Kiffin would still be coaching USC. Muschamp would still be coaching Florida. Richt would still be coaching Georgia. Strong would still be coaching Texas, etc.
There’s far more to the game than just talent.

Absolutely. But many (especially here) consider recruiting rankings the "only" thing that matters. That's as deep as they'll ever get.

Of course, as TO's recruiting never had any number one recruiting rankings......all his NC trophy's should be revoked!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: vs540husker
It will tough to pull highly rated 4 & 5 stars players around the country especially in the south to come here to play. Lets see what Frost can do in a few years. If this program stays stagnant for the next few years with 3-4 loses then Frost needs to go another school where he can win.
3-4 losses would be just fine. We're nowhere close to that point yet. If we're being honest with ourselves, this is most likely a 6 win team and we could finish even worse than that.

So then why did Florida Atlantic, on the road, play OSU much tougher than we did at home?

So then why did Florida Atlantic, on the road, play OSU much tougher than we did at home?

Did you actually watch the FAU game and visibly see them play tougher than Nebraska, or are you just looking at the score and assuming so?

They had more talent and they had better coaching that game. Our coaches are not there yet. We have no identity. Let them find it and be patient. If they don’t find it you will run them off, guaranteed.

His contract is for seven years and the structure at the U is more heavy in favor of Scott than Bo or Riley. He'll be here, short of quitting voluntarily for 7 years. The Boosters will lose this one.

Reactions: natesonnen
ohio state running backs are brutally good; 5 deep better than anything nebraska has
and so is the qb
and the dline
some of the talent gap can be neutralized with disciplined developmental ball control programs
which is what nebraska used to be

which is how iowa and wisconsin have success, but neither of those can win a national championship

so how does ohio state get their first 5 rb better than anything nebraska has? is it ohio recruiting? can teams not in or near recruiting hotbeds even compete at the highest level anymore due to the much stiffer competition all around college football compared to even 20 years ago? i would say no

Reactions: CatColumbia
Totally disagree Nebraska has been ranked ahead of Iowa each of the last five years and have only managed one victory. Ohio State severely beats Iowa in the rankings and Iowa can hang with and occasionally beat Ohio State. Talent is a sad excuse!
Good point. Iowa drilled OSU a few years ago with far less talent and they seem to hand w them every year otherwise. Explain this??

Good point. Iowa drilled OSU a few years ago with far less talent and they seem to hand w them every year otherwise. Explain this??

ball control developmental programs can narrow the talent gap but cannot win national championships, but are very hard to execute, ndsu is the perfect example of what teams not near or in talent rich areas need to do.

i would say there is something better out there though and misfortune is coming as it did in 1789 but on a much grander scale

Last edited by a moderator:
They had more talent and they had better coaching that game. Our coaches are not there yet. We have no identity. Let them find it and be patient. If they don’t find it you will run them off, guaranteed.
$5 Million per year and you have no identity? Please!!! Frost does not have the talent on the OLINE to play his system. His choice is to change his system to fit what he has, or get another fright night season under the existing system for the quality young players who will be on the field for the next 4 years. I vote for the latter and patience. Frost has always won with good linemen, and he will here as well.

Once in a while a team jumps up and gets the big boys because they come out flat. OSU and Kansas used to give Nebraska a game now and then.

OSU came out sharp and NU came out with the yips, especially at QB.

Washington would absolutely not beat out Dobbins for the starting RB job. So maybe two of our guys could get on the field for OSU.

If you think talent is so irrelevant show me where Wisco and Iowa's NC trophies are. No team wins it all without top 10 classes. None. Zero teams. Talent matters.

It's a lie that NU didn't have elite recruiting in the 90s. They did.

$5 Million per year and you have no identity? Please!!! Frost does not have the talent on the OLINE to play his system. His choice is to change his system to fit what he has, or get another fright night season under the existing system for the quality young players who will be on the field for the next 4 years. I vote for the latter and patience. Frost has always won with good linemen, and he will here as well.

That team I watch on Saturday has no identity. Nothing works consistently. Nothing, except turnovers.

I agree with you that it will come with better talent and patience.

Once in a while a team jumps up and gets the big boys because they come out flat. OSU and Kansas used to give Nebraska a game now and then.

Washington would absolutely not beat out Dobbins for the starting RB job. So maybe two of our guys could get on the field for OSU.

If you think talent is so irrelevant show me where Wisco and Iowa's NC trophies are. No team wins it all without top 10 classes. None. Zero teams. Talent matters.

Sir, they didn't ever get a #1 recruiting result under TO and also didn't even get really great recruiting rankings until after winning the 1994 NC.

they had elite running backs and quarterbacks back then, the lines were developmental in a lot of ways, so probably a combination of things, some say the walk on program gave them a distinct advantage for the developmental side of things.

frost better learn how to run the ball. i noticed vs colorado they really couldnt.

makes you wonder how miss and ole miss can never win national championships, pathetic really considering they are located in one of the best football recruiting states in the country.

Sir, they didn't ever get a #1 recruiting result under TO and also didn't even get really great recruiting rankings until after winning the 1994 NC.

That's a bit of a myth because TO got his share of elite talent. Tommie Frazier is a great example, he was a consensus top-five recruit coming out of HS and I'm sure there are plenty of others if we really wanted to spend some time looking back.

Reactions: zrob
That's a bit of a myth because TO got his share of elite talent. Tommie Frazier is a great example, he was a consensus top-five recruit coming out of HS and I'm sure there are plenty of others if we really wanted to spend some time looking back.

Well sure, of course he did. But a top three or so recruiting rankings?........nope. Not until.....oh, never-mind.

There are exactly 0 players on our roster that crack the osu first team. Not even close. I don't think there are many that would crack the 2nd team. We aren't anywhere near their talent level. Banging on about how some other team hung with OSU doesn't change that fact. You all make it sound like it is something you and your team control. It also the fact that in some of those games, like any other top team, OSU doesn't always show up to play. i.e., a certain NU team that lost by 5 last year at OSU. They showed up Saturday. Move on already. It is going to be years before we have lines that can compete with OSU let alone Wisc and Iowa and the rest of the next tier in B1G.

There are exactly 0 players on our roster that crack the osu first team. Not even close. I don't think there are many that would crack the 2nd team. We aren't anywhere near their talent level. Banging on about how some other team hung with OSU doesn't change that fact. You all make it sound like it is something you and your team control. It also the fact that in some of those games, like any other top team, OSU doesn't always show up to play. i.e., a certain NU team that lost by 5 last year at OSU. They showed up Saturday. Move on already. It is going to be years before we have lines that can compete with OSU let alone Wisc and Iowa and the rest of the next tier in B1G.

Can't disagree with any of that.

I could see them using Washington, Robinson, or Spielman as situational players...but probably not every down starters. They are our top tier players by far. Shows how far back we are. It's nothing new...just see the NFL draft every year.

Reactions: TheBeav815
You don't need the #1 class, you need a few very good classes. NU had that.

You're also glossing over the fact that mid-90s recruiting ratings consisted of like two guys writing magazines.

Look at the number of All-Americans and post-season award winners/finalists NU had through that stretch run. You can sneak some dudes into the league running a developmental program, but you're not All-America without elite talent.

Look at Mike Rucker's NFL career and then consider that he could hardly get on the field as an underclassman.

Off the top of my head guys with productive NFL careers:

Wistrom
Rucker
Mike Brown
Schlesinger
A. Green
Minter
Stai

LP was a top pick but mental health issues derailed his career
Berringer was projected to be drafted before his tragic death

I'm sure I'm missing several. And those are just guys who had nice NFL careers. Tons more were drafted and didn't hit big in the league.

The idea that NU didn't have elite talent in the 90s is a lie. They didn't have elite WRs and TEs but everywhere else they had NFL dudes.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Did you actually watch the FAU game and visibly see them play tougher than Nebraska, or are you just looking at the score and assuming so?

I don’t know that it is necessary to have watched any game, other than the NU v Ohio game, to reach that conclusion.

Below are the NFL draft picks (total/1st and 2nd round picks) from 2017-2019 for NU vs upper tier B1G teams.

Ohio State - 22/8
Michigan - 18/4
Wisconsin - 12/2
Penn St - 12/2
Iowa - 11/4
Neb - 2/0

Not saying talent is the only factor in where we are/have been, but its a big factor in why we are looking up at these teams.

You don't need the #1 class, you need a few very good classes. NU had that.

You're also glossing over the fact that mid-90s recruiting ratings consisted of like two guys writing magazines.

Look at the number of All-Americans and post-season award winners/finalists NU had through that stretch run. You can sneak some dudes into the league running a developmental program, but you're not All-America without elite talent.

Look at Mike Rucker's NFL career and then consider that he could hardly get on the field as an underclassman.

Off the top of my head guys with productive NFL careers:

Wistrom
Rucker
Mike Brown
Schlesinger
A. Green
Minter
Stai

LP was a top pick but mental health issues derailed his career
Berringer was projected to be drafted before his tragic death

I'm sure I'm missing several. And those are just guys who had nice NFL careers. Tons more were drafted and didn't hit big in the league.

The idea that NU didn't have elite talent in the 90s is a lie. They didn't have elite WRs and TEs but everywhere else they had NFL dudes.

Oh sure, you're quite right sir. Please don't say I didn't believe we had elite talent. NU certainly did have damn good talent (especially a smash-mouth pipeline that we would currently KILL to have). But the recruiting gurus simply didn't have us anywhere near the top rankings then. You know that. You also know that the very good skill positions almost always have higher rankings than the big uglies.

However, I totally disagree with you and still state that our recruiting improved MASSIVELY after the 1994 NC. I remember it well.....I'm sure you do too. TO was swimming in outrageously high recruiting talent for his last few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT