ADVERTISEMENT

Supposedly done deal per Brian C

I do like this one. Guy really seems Rain Man smart about defense. Had a tough time at UConn, but his defenses were pretty solid.

I do like this one. Guy really seems Rain Man smart about defense. Had a tough time at UConn, but his defenses were pretty solid.
We bump our heads sometimes. Dude will wow us and take a 2nd run at AND succeed at a head coaching gig...after Riley schools him up...in about a million years...

Reactions: wy19
I bet he got more than a million per year. Interested to see just how much we threw at him!

yeah, sometimes coordinators don't make good head coaches and vice-versa. he seems to be better at coordinating defenses than the average bear.

Played his college ball at Iowa...How is that going to work out??? Should be a good hire Huskers! I might have to root for you except when playing the Hawkeyes!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskerpro
This guy produced one top 10 defense at Notre Dame. With a lot more talent to work with.

The rest in the 30s and 50s.

What am I missing?
Is Diaco > Banker? I think most would say yes. Are we getting full value for our extra money? That is an open question. I like the move to the 3-4, simply because it's one less DL position to recruit. I like the try something new out of the HC. So I'm going to enjoy the moment. You do whatever you have to do.

This guy produced one top 10 defense at Notre Dame. With a lot more talent to work with.

What am I missing?
Well he won the Broyles in 2012 and was a semi-finalist for it the year before... last I checked they don't just hand those out to anyone. Also landed the number 2 recruit in the country in 2011. Arkansas was definitely interested in bring him on and a lot of smoke regarding interest from Wisconsin should their DC head to Cal... Probably just an average coach though??

Last edited:

What am I missing?
They went from 86th in Total Defense the last year before he went there, to 50th his first year, a pretty good jump already. Than jumped to 30th his second year, and then 7th his third year, that's a pretty good trend.

Already found a way to piss on the new hire. Amazing
Our "fans" never cease to amaze me. And by amaze I mean sicken.
b052203924d8587922749f81c36b4109.320x179x24.gif

What am I missing?

How has Notre Dame done since he left? The guy that replaced him got fired this year after a 4-8 season.

Will Diaco be a miracle worker? Probably not. But can you name another realistic candidate with a better resume? Dave Aranda and Brent Venables weren't coming.

They went from 86th in Total Defense the last year before he went there, to 50th his first year, a pretty good jump already. Than jumped to 30th his second year, and then 7th his third year, that's a pretty good trend.
Nice

Hope he is successful. Cause ultimately. That's all I care about.

I'm a tad concerned. Yes he made ND defense better, and the 2012 team was salty, but it had Teo and two DLs who got drafted in the early rounds of the 2014 draft.

I love the idea of going to the 3-4, but I'm still worried that we don't have a guy for the middle. JMHO, but I like the Davis brothers at the ends, but where are we getting a game ready NT for next season? I just don't see that guy on the roster right now. I mean a 6'3" 320 Wal-Mart shopper guy who takes up A LOT of space.

Reactions: jeans15
I thought Riley might have someone(s) in quickly and lined up through the coaches convention. I don't like moving to a 3-4 if that's what we do. It makes recruiting the NG an enormous premium and there aren't as many great ones out there vs DT's.

I love the hire. We are following the Clemson blueprint by bringing in big time assistant coaches. Remember Clemson went 9-5 then 6-7 before rattling off 10 win seasons once they ponied up for big time assistants.

Side note, does this lose a spot for the twins to both play together?

I'm a tad concerned. Yes he made ND defense better, and the 2012 team was salty, but it had Teo and two DLs who got drafted in the early rounds of the 2014 draft.

I love the idea of going to the 3-4, but I'm still worried that we don't have a guy for the middle. JMHO, but I like the Davis brothers at the ends, but where are we getting a game ready NT for next season? I just don't see that guy on the roster right now. I mean a 6'3" 320 Wal-Mart shopper guy who takes up A LOT of space.
Yup, whoppers are needed to plug up the middle and anchor it. You're right in that we don't have that on our roster right now. I guess the twins need to eat a lot more and they can alternate there.

I'll eat my crow, talked about how Nebraska is content at paying average and not making big boy moves!!!!! A week later this!!!! Excellent
vVyiYFgP_bigger.jpeg
Sean Callahan

@Sean_Callahan

Mark Banker was let go Wednesday. Bob Diaco was in Lincoln Thursday. Hired Friday. That's how you make a transition. #Huskers

I love the hire. We are following the Clemson blueprint by bringing in big time assistant coaches. Remember Clemson went 9-5 then 6-7 before rattling off 10 win seasons once they ponied up for big time assistants.

Side note, does this lose a spot for the twins to both play together?
They could play the end or eat more and play the middle. A guy like Vincent Valentine is needed in the middle when looking at our recent past players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT