ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday, February 20th: Nebraska at Sam Houston - (Huskers lose 6-3)

It’s early and there are a lot of new kids playing. Patience will pay off. Just continue to get better overall record the first 3 weeks or so doesn’t matter.

It's a small sample size but I've been impressed with Banjoff in the leadoff spot. I was skeptical of the choice but he's seen a ton of pitches and is getting on base at a good clip.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Must be facing a LHP, can't imagine any other reason Jessen isn't in the lineup after yesterday.

Top 1st

1-2-3 for Nebraska

Bottom 1st

2 runs on 4 hits give Sam Houston the early 2-0 lead

Top 2nd

One out single for Everitt. Matthews bunts Everitt to 2nd. Caron walks. Anglim likes out to LF.

Bottom 2nd

After back to back Leadoff singles to start the frame Bragg is pulled from the game for Emmett Olson. First two batters go down in order but the runners do advance to 2nd and 3rd. The next batter is intentionally walked to load the bases. A WP scores a runner and moves the others to 2nd and 3rd. A seeing eye single scores two more runs. An RBI double scores another run. Fly out ends the inning.

6-0 Sam Houston

Top 2nd

One out single for Everitt. Matthews bunts Everitt to 2nd. Caron walks. Anglim likes out to LF.

Bottom 2nd

After back to back Leadoff singles to start the frame Bragg is pulled from the game for Emmett Olson. First two batters go down in order but the runners do advance to 2nd and 3rd. The next batter is intentionally walked to load the bases. A WP scores a runner and moves the others to 2nd and 3rd. A seeing eye single scores two more runs. An RBI double scores another run. Fly out ends the inning.

6-0 Sam Houston
10 total innings pitched by our starters in 4 games this weekend. That is as bad of a start as possible, hopefully it’s just early season jitters

Top 3rd

Another 1-2-3 inning for the 1-2-3 hitters.

Bottom 3rd

A one out single and a couple throwing errors put runners on 2nd and 3rd. A failed suicide squeeze leads to a pop up to the pitcher and an easy force out at 3rd. We may have lucked out of that inning.

6-0 SH

Top 4th

Infield single from Everitt otherwise nothing.

Bottom 4th

1-2-3 for Olson

6-0 SH

Top 5th

1-2-3 for Nebraska again.

Bottom 5th

Leadoff single but the next two runners go down in order. Jaxon Jelkin now in to pitch his Husker debut for Olson and he gets Nebraska though the 5th

6-0 SH

Top 6th

Leadoff single from Jessen but the Huskers do nothing with it to head to the bottom of the 6th.

Bottom 6th

A HBP, fly out, WP and a walk ends Jelkin’s day as Tyler Martin comes in to pitch. A groundout puts runners on 2nd and 3rd. Intentional walk loads the bases but a groundout to 1st ends the inning.

6-0 SH

Top 7th

Leadoff HBP for Matthews. Caron with a double off the RF wall to put runners on 2nd and 3rd. Anglim K’s. Cervantes also K’s. Banjoff grounds out.

Bottom 7th

Jackson Brockett now in to pitch as he works a 1-2-3 inning.

6-0 SH

Top 8th

Leadoff singles for Jessen and Anderson. An RBI single for Gomes scores a run. A groundout for Everitt puts runners on 2nd and 3rd. Matthews Flies out to LF which scores Anderson from 3rd (SAC fly). Caron with an RBI single to LF. After a pitching change Chick with a pinch hit single up the middle. Gabe Swansen now in to pinch hit and K’s to end the inning.

Bottom 8th

After a Leadoff walk Ethan Bradford now in to pitch. A popped up bunt and a double play ends the inning.

6-3 SH

It’s hard for me to take much from this series. I know we are much better than that. I know it’s the first series of the year. I know Sam Houston isn’t a great team. Like you all said, scratch it and move on.

Reactions: sklarbodds
It’s hard for me to take much from this series. I know we are much better than that. I know it’s the first series of the year. I know Sam Houston isn’t a great team. Like you all said, scratch it and move on.
There were a couple of bright spots, some concerning developments, and NU definitely got some of their early weaknesses exposed. It's time to learn from it all, adjust and move on to the next series.

I just don't believe Nebraska should be favored to win the conference this year.

Hopefully, they can shore up those shortcomings and start to develop throughout the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT