ADVERTISEMENT

Storm damage ??

So I’ve probably lost my 2 50 year old maple trees in my backyard, one of which is partially on the roof. Not able to verify if any roof damage but no leaks so far. I’ll need professionals to clean it up. If I’m lucky might have it taken care of by Labor Day. Didn’t lose power though.
Several years ago I had a 60’ Hackberry taken down in the backyard of the house we own in Aksarben Village area. That was a good $3000 spent. I have backyard neighbors with huge maple trees hanging over their houses. Problems waiting to happen. 😕. Most city yards really aren’t big enough for silver and sugar maple trees.

seems like some on here have never lost power. when i lived in arkansas it happened almost weekly. had to call the bucket truck.
the beverly hillbillies what GIF
They have electricity there?

I am dragging my feet on getting a new roof. Got hail damage in May. Gonna wait a little longer to get it fixed with all the storms we are getting.
Personally, I've always waited until the fall (Sept, early Oct). Other than continued spring & summer storms, I feel roofing companies have so many jobs after a hail storm that they try & rush through them.

I want to wait until things slow down a bit for them.

Reactions: superman787
And better tree control . It amazes me when I drive in other states how susceptible their lines are and how little attention they take until there's a problem . I'll give a shout out to norris public power for that
LES has actually been converting some aged overhead lines to underground. I'm no expert, but I think underground lines do not get effected by high winds as much.

Reactions: huntered
Personally, I've always waited until the fall (Sept, early Oct). Other than continued spring & summer storms, I feel roofing companies have so many jobs after a hail storm that they try & rush through them.

I want to wait until things slow down a bit for them.
I built houses all winter and shingles roofs in the process. When the sun shines on the roof it heats things up. As long as we don't have a major wind storm they will seal in time with no problems.

Reactions: mgbreis and HuskerO
The winds we had can cause singles to lift but not blow off giving the perception that there's been no damage.
What do you do to fix that? Throw in a fistful of nails?

It'd be interesting how an insurance company would treat that if it warranted a full shingle replacement or not.

And rodents do a lot of damage, the Norris guys told me overhead lines take less maintenance
We've got a combination of overhead and underground on the farm. I found out recently underground isn't forever. More expensive to install and more expensive to repair. I do like the safety aspect of underground though and not looking at lines. But sure enjoyed shooting sparrows on the lines as a kid until I shot the wire with my 22 and the wire eventually burned off to the shop and needed repairing

Was fishing and left 5 minutes before it started up at Flanagan Lake. Was driving home in it and stopped to get booze, almost could not open the car door to get inside the store!

Power was out for 12 hours.

• Wow
Reactions: huntered
Was fishing and left 5 minutes before it started up at Flanagan Lake. Was driving home in it and stopped to get booze, almost could not open the car door to get inside the store!

Were you able to get your booze before power went off

Reactions: TampaBaySkers

Just watched a presser. Largest power outage in OPPDs history.

Crazy. Thoughts and prayers to all affected.

Sucks that these storms are becoming the new normal. Insurance companies nation wide can't keep up without raising everyone's premiums.

Home insurance might become a luxury in the future it this keeps up, as it seems to be with the worst hurricane season since I was a wee lad is predicted for this coming season.

• Wow
Reactions: Laner2 and huntered
Crazy. Thoughts and prayers to all affected.

Sucks that these storms are becoming the new normal. Insurance companies nation wide can't keep up without raising everyone's premiums.

Home insurance might become a luxury in the future it this keeps up, as it seems to be with the worst hurricane season since I was a wee lad is predicted for this coming season.
same thing last year. bound to get it right someday, right?

Was able to get the branches and shingles cleaned up and took them to a dumpster, got the tarp crew here and have 1 roofer estimate done with another later today. I think I am going to get 3 estimates and see where we go from here. Could be much worse though

Reactions: Laner2
Was able to get the branches and shingles cleaned up and took them to a dumpster, got the tarp crew here and have 1 roofer estimate done with another later today. I think I am going to get 3 estimates and see where we go from here. Could be much worse though
You might want to check into a metal roof it’s more expensive but will out last shingles now maybe the city won’t allow it. I had a metal roof installed 15 years ago haven’t regretted doing it

Reactions: Laner2
Still no power, but not much damage other than the leg snapped off a metal deck chair when the whole mass of deck chairs, couch, box, planters and cushions took off like a covey of quail when the first gust hit. Fortunately, found them all. I have not seen the wind blow so hard for so long, except when I was a kid of about 8 years old around 1970 (forget exact year) when a windstorm came through Gretna and knocked down, broke off or uprooted 3/4ths of all the big old trees in town - including two onto our house (if I recall many of which may have been old elm trees weakened by Dutch Elm disease). A 75- 100 year old cottonwood in the neighbor's front yard across the street was uprooted leaving a mass of roots sticking up taller than her house. The field where Casey's and Fareway now sit had a pile of trees and tree limbs that covered well over half of that field probably 20 feet tall. Man we had a good time climbing the tree pile that summer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT