ADVERTISEMENT

SSO recruiting breakdown and grades..

Probably my mistake, but I seemed to read article after article about this player who was recovering from a knee injury, and that player who sat out their senior season due to injury and this other player who also had some kind of injury. In my mind it was like, HS player gets injured, Nebraska offers type thing, or was it last year's class? If so, I'm just getting old then. :Cool:
Tompkins blew his knee after he committed and they kept him. HS coach can't say enough good things about him, IIRC the coach had said there was a 5* kid on their team and Tompkins was better than him, and he would be rated higher if he hadn't popped his knee. I guess upside is if you've blown two knees they should be stronger than they were before?

Henrich is an Omaha 4* ILB who hurt his knee late in the year, no way were they backing off of him and for good reason. If you haven't watched his film, you need to. He beats blocks like he's invisible, it will remind of Lavonte David the way he just laughs off attempts to block him and missiles kids.

Bivens is the other and sounds like they only go after him if Mills can't make grades.

Martinez didn't play his senior year, that worked out OK. This staff seems to do well at getting kids to reach their potential. They had several breakout players at UCF and they built enough momentum there for them to go unbeaten again this year.

Agree on the OL grade being too harsh. They got a top JUCO OL in Bland to commit, it's not Austin's fault he didn't work hard enough in the classroom.

Wright was Wandale’s backup plan, so he won’t be in. Who knows on Bivens, he seems like a backup plan to Mills. Bivens and Thompkins both coming off knee injuries, playing rb could be concerning, ala Adam Taylor.

Im talking about Toby's kid.

Im talking about Toby's kid.
Sorry wrong one. I do recall him being in a boot in one of his visit pics, but didn’t remember hearing about him missing games. What was his injury?

Now that I think about, does anyone know how significant Heinrich’s knee injury was? I know he missed time, cam back for the championship game and then hurt it again. We need him to be healthy, as he could play next year.

He missed most of the season, was on crutches in lincoln on his visit.

I keep hearing "let them develop" about the OL class. They will all be ready to play fall of 2020 after a full year with Duval. It's not like we will be waiting until their junior year for them to be ready to play.

Benhart will play this year and Lynn has a chance to contribute.

I keep hearing "let them develop" about the OL class. They will all be ready to play fall of 2020 after a full year with Duval. It's not like we will be waiting until their junior year for them to be ready to play.

Benhart will play this year and Lynn has a chance to contribute.
Benhart will push for time right away because he's a freak and a rarity. IMO Lynn moves to guard and we don't hear much from him for a couple years.

We haven't had the luxury of late but as a general rule you don't want OL seeing a lot of time as underclassmen. Jaimes got thrown into the fire as a matter of necessity, not because he was ready.

The OL recruiting SHOULD include kids who need a couple years to transform themselves into 310 lbs of good weight and to learn calls, footwork, etc. You're asking a guy to know the entire playbook and all the audibles and to be able to adjust his assignment based on the number and location of DLs and LBs he sees in front of him. You don't master that in one fall camp.

It takes more than one season to be ready to go out and bang against a conference full of 22 year olds who have been in college S&C for 4-5 years. At some point NU needs to BE the 22 year olds.

Benhart will push for time right away because he's a freak and a rarity. IMO Lynn moves to guard and we don't hear much from him for a couple years.

We haven't had the luxury of late but as a general rule you don't want OL seeing a lot of time as underclassmen. Jaimes got thrown into the fire as a matter of necessity, not because he was ready.

The OL recruiting SHOULD include kids who need a couple years to transform themselves into 310 lbs of good weight and to learn calls, footwork, etc. You're asking a guy to know the entire playbook and all the audibles and to be able to adjust his assignment based on the number and location of DLs and LBs he sees in front of him. You don't master that in one fall camp.

It takes more than one season to be ready to go out and bang against a conference full of 22 year olds who have been in college S&C for 4-5 years. At some point NU needs to BE the 22 year olds.

You didn't comprehend what I said.

You didn't comprehend what I said.
Well then I'm sure you'll elucidate eloquently since the problem is my comprehension and not your writing. Is there something about 2019 recruits playing in 2020 after one year of S&C that makes them no longer underclassmen? I've been out of college a while, maybe I don't know how it works any more...

Well then I'm sure you'll elucidate eloquently since the problem is my comprehension and not your writing. Is there something about 2019 recruits playing in 2020 after one year of S&C that makes them no longer underclassmen? I've been out of college a while, maybe I don't know how it works any more...

I never said they would contribute in 2020, I said they would be ready if absolutely necessary.

I never said they would contribute in 2020, I said they would be ready if absolutely necessary.
You said "ready to play." If you mean they're contributing meaningful reps as 2-deep players after one year, that worries me on the OL. In the heyday guys were not emerging as OL starters until they had been in the program a few years. Fonoti and Raiola jump out as exceptions, both ended up being high draft picks.

Skill positions I'm all for getting guys out there early and often. Lines are a different animal, especially with all the pulling and misdirection that will be asked of them in this offense. You don't usually see a guy make a year-one impact on the line unless he's going to declare as a junior and everyone knows it. I could see that for Benhart. I don't see it for Lynn.

Reactions: bshirt73
You said "ready to play." If you mean they're contributing meaningful reps as 2-deep players after one year, that worries me on the OL. In the heyday guys were not emerging as OL starters until they had been in the program a few years. Fonoti and Raiola jump out as exceptions, both ended up being high draft picks.

Skill positions I'm all for getting guys out there early and often. Lines are a different animal, especially with all the pulling and misdirection that will be asked of them in this offense. You don't usually see a guy make a year-one impact on the line unless he's going to declare as a junior and everyone knows it. I could see that for Benhart. I don't see it for Lynn.

Ready to play doesn't imply they will play.

Congratulations to the guy who has never played a down of football and was probably a confused loser also.

But if you are truly interested in my football credentials, or how many downs of football I played, or what a confused loser I was, or maybe you would just like to learn some football, please PM me. Thanks.

Reactions: dinglefritz
@herkiesrevenge will tell you that stuff doesn't matter.
TE Hockenson was a 2* by 247 and was a starter in his RSFR year. Jewel was a 2* by 247 and was a starter in his RSFR Year , so it depends on your point of view if it matters or not.

in your opinion why should a 2* be able to start as a RSFR?

this last season 2* DB Moss started as a True FR.
last season 2* DB Stone played and then started as a True So at the FS position. Stone was a 1st Team All Stater reguardless of class in Pennsylvania . reminds me of another 2* player out of Pennsylvania be the name of Bob Sanders who started as a True FR and ended up a 3 time BT 1st teamer.

somebody is really screwing the pooch on how they rank Iowa commits.

How is Houston a "big bodied" receiver at 6'0 and 165 lbs?
He told me to relay to you he is "big bodied" since he is the tied for the second tallest scholarship WR on the team if we land him. He would actually be tied for the tallest scholarship WR if we hadn't brought in Chase. He considered "big bodied" able to play outside in our scheme.

I agree. We got the number one tackle on our board (and apparently Michigan’s board too). We got three other long, athletic guys that have really high ceilings (and Lynn May be slated as a guard). And then we got a big time JUCO guard that WE may not take. Our choice. That’s a crazy great position to be in.

We didn’t get four 5 stars, but we got a top 75 player (according to 247’s ratings - rivals ratings for Benhart are ridiculous) at a position of need. And three more high ceiling guys at a position of need and a day 1 starting JUCO guard, that we may choose to take. How is this not at least a B rating???
Per him it would be a 'B' if Bland was signed. Otherwise we have one stud and 3 developmental guys with "good frames" committed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT