ADVERTISEMENT

SSO recruiting breakdown and grades..

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
As the early signing period came and went last week, let's look at the grades and where we stand for each position group/coach. At the end i'll try to speculate with what we still need.

1 - Ryan Held (A)
Dedrick Mills - 4 star Rivals (JUCO)
Rahmir Johnson - 4 star Rivals
Ronald Thompkins - 4 star 247
Wandale Robinson - composite 4 star
Summary - Pretty tough to find a better position recruiting class out there, and certainly not in Nebraska's class, which is why we have him at #1 on early signing day. We are still waiting on Mills to get cleared academically, even without him, you still have 3 four stars coming in. He would be the fourth. Crazy to me how good Held is on the recruiting trail, and not just in his position group. He helped reel in others as well. We lack experience coming back with Ozigbo leaving and Wilbon, but we gained a ton of talent. If Mills can't make it, I believe Bivens out of Ohio is our "plan B" there who sat out his senior year to get healthy. With needing 4 RBs this class, and roughly 30 kids total, a guy like Ronald Thompkins is intriguing, as he had schools like Alabama sniffing around since he was so talented. When he hurt his knee, they went away. That's the kind of "risk" you can take when you need so many. Robinson was Mr Gatorade in Kentucky who was stolen from an SEC team. And Rahmir Johnson is equally as good. Four stars like Miles Jones have to get healthy in a hurry, or Ryan Held is going to recruit over you in a year.

2 - Barrett Ruud (A-)
Garrett Snodgrass - 3 star
Jackson Hannah - 4 star Rivals
Nick Henrich - composite 4 star
Summary - Barrett Ruud had to replace a starter in Dedrick Young, and while some people may not have been that sad to see him leave, you are replacing nearly 50 starts. That is not easy. You have Mo Barry returning, and after that a bunch of unknowns. Weinmaster had to retire from football. Will Honas who was poised to start in 2019 now has to recover from a blown knee. Miller couldn't stay consistent enough on the field. So what does Ruud go out and do? Signs what looks like the second best position class with 2 four stars and another in-state kid. He also flips a kid committed to South Dakota State and getting a full ride to an FCS power and convinced him to walk on. One of these guys are going to need to play, and if Hannah stays inside, he may be your best bet due to having the size already and being healthy. Henrich will be recovering from a knee injury and will need to put on weight if he wants to help in the B1G, but his film was stated to me as "the best LB film i've ever seen" from one of his recruiters. While Ruud isn't much of a presence on social media or other outlets, he is proving his worth. I will be interested to see how he does in 2020 without an ILB in-state ranked as high as Henrich, but he sealed his class up before the fall even started.

3 - Troy Walters (B+)
Jamie Nance - 4 star Rivals
Darien Chase - composite 4 star
Summary - Two "bigger" bodied WRs to go along with a guy like Wandale Robinson in the slot, and that's a heck of a job. Walters needs to replace Stanley Morgan, and the two guys we have committed have the ability to get that done for outside receiving threats. We still have one more spot to fill, and we have a couple four stars in Njoku and Houston. Pull in one of those guys and he may leap-frog Ruud for the spot behind Held. Walters will always get his slot WRs with help from Held, it's up to him to reel these guys in.

4 - Mario Verduzco (B)
Luke McCaffrey - 4 star 247
Summary - Tough to be too mad at Coach V here, got who he wanted early and it's a name that has some great bloodlines. His grade is hurt due to quantity, but I wouldn't let that bother anyone too much. He's a bit quirky, but all you have to do is get one kid in per year, and we have appeared to get another good one.

5 - Sean Beckton (B-)
Chris Hickman - 3 star
Summary - With a wealth of TEs returning, we had one spot to fill, and Beckton got it done with an in-state kid that had the athleticism to do everything Frost wants. A 3 sport athlete, before he gave up baseball it was rumored that was his best sport. He has the frame to be an absolute stud in this offense and our returning players will give him the opportunity to put on weight and be ready to go for 2020. It is still up in the air a bit if he stays on offense, but I like that we got an in-state kid signed up.

6 - Mike Dawson (B-)
Ethan Piper - 3 star
Mosai Newson - 3 star
Ty Robinson - composite 4 star
Brant Banks - 3 star
Darrion Daniels - grad transfer
Summary - Ty Robinson was a must for Mike Dawson with him sitting at a couple 3 star recruits that were going to need some time. A kid like Robinson could come in and be valuable immediately, but it will be interesting to see if we redshirt him with plenty of DE depth coming back, or get him ready for 2020 with some snaps. The 4 game redshirt rule will help a ton here. I really like Mosai Newsoms film, I think he could turn into a good one for us. The recent addition of Brant Banks on the DL has me scratching my head. I like his film as an OL, really dislike it as a DL. I will be watching this development closely, as this is a perfect example of our staff identifying what they usually look for. But there are about a dozen kids in Nebraska with better defensive film on the line than Banks, they just aren't 6'7". We still have one more spot out there and that could be filled by four star Mathew Pola-Mao. We are missing a NG in this class (if Piper doesn't grow into it) with us letting go of Fair in favor of Daniels, so that would be a huge win. If we can get a kid like Robinson (2019) and Wildeman (2018) every year for DE, then developmental guys, I like where our DL recruiting is going. Mao would be a huge homerun for the interior DL. I didn't include Nelson here, even tho I am thinking he grows into DE. Hopefully get can grow another inch or two as well.

7 - Greg Austin (C)
Desmond Bland - 4 star Rivals
Matthew Anderson - 3 star
Michael Lynn - 3 star
Bryce Benhart - composite 4 star
Jimmy Fritzsche - 3 star
Summary - This is an interesting position group. Before the Benhart commit, we were sitting at an unqualified Desmond Bland and then two developmental guys. Luckily, Bryce commits, and we take Jimmy Fritzcshe from Clemson to help things out. I have said before that OL is my worst position group to evaluate, and this staff is upping the stakes with that. They are going after kids with good frames that they are hoping Duval can do work on. They are recruiting length which makes it even more difficult to find those wrestler types like Tanner Farmer. Four stars like Jalin Barnett are a thing of the past. This staff wants tall and athletic guys, not squatty bowling balls. This group could fluctuate a little bit with what happens with Bland.

8 - Travis Fisher (C-)
Quinton Newsome - 3 star
Javin Wright - 3 star
Myles Farmer - 3 star
Summary - Just not a ton of "pop" when it comes to rankings, but I don't hate this class. Guys like Newsome and Farmer have some pretty good film despite "only being 3 stars" and Wright is a kid that could go a ton of different ways depending on where his body takes him. Fisher still has a couple fish out there in 4 star Pola-Gates and 3 stars Starks, Mayo, and James. We are needing some help as Jackson and Bootle will be graduated before you know it, and we lost our top 3 safeties. Fisher pulled in a top 5 safety class nationally last year and deserves credit there, can he finish well on 1 or 2 more prospects down the stretch? Hoping so as we need more of "his guys" in that room. As with Coach Austin, how February ends up will determine the outcome. Little early to be down or up on what we have right now, and if we land Pola-Gates, things will certainly be looking up.

9 - Jovan Dewitt (D)
Garrett Nelson - 3 star
Jamin Graham - 3 star
Summary - Don't be too alarmed yet. We looked dead in the water last year before we grabbed Caleb Tannor and Javonte Jean-Baptiste (who a snow day had him flip to Ohio State on us) at the end of the cycle. We have a couple more offers out to some people, but we are missing that elite guy on the edge. Guys like Luke Gifford, Tyrin Ferguson, they are all serviceable, but imagine if we reel in that highly sought after guy to help us? Brandon Mack has decommitted from Pitt and is an option, we also have Larry Asante's brother sitting there. That will also be an interesting one to watch in regard to who our staff is targeting. Asante looks more explosive to me, but isn't as long. Mack however has the better frame, and has other attributes catching our attention. See who we let visit first and go from there to understand who our plan B is. Long story short is we could get bailed out here too due to Jackson Hannah possibly moving here, Javin Wright could grow into the spot, and we have a jUCO option or two still available.

Where do we go from here?
Let's just call it five spots left even tho we don't know what's going to happen with Bland and Mills. Here's who we are looking at:

-Noa Pola-Gates is a DB we are taking no matter what. He would be #1 for us
-Matthew Pola-Mao is a DL we are taking no matter what and can probably fill that NG spot
-We still need a LB... Asante or Mack is who we are going after, heck we may take both depending on how things shape up, things look fluid. As I stated in the summary, check how we handle the visits.
-A big bodied WR is a must still, and we are in on two pretty good ones. Heck, we may take both if numbers play out the way they could. Keep an eye on Houston and Njoku.
-And we still need a corner. We have Mayo, Starks, and James sitting out there. No idea where we stand on any of them. The thing to watch here is where these guys commit to and who we get. The final death blow to Hank Hughes was losing guys to Iowa State visits.
-From there, you have some fluidity based on what happens with guys like Mills. If he doesn't qualify, we probably put the full court press on Bivens.
-If we don't get Pola-Mao or an OLB, do we go hard after Fonua?

Time for the staff to regroup and close hard at DB and OLB. Other people like Held and Ruud can start looking at 2020 tape and get a head start there, which is a huge advantage.

Last edited: Yesterday at 12:27 PM
ShortSideOption, Yesterday at 12:23 PM

ChicagoB1GRed, HuskersReign, Brandywine Bugeater and 18 others like this.

As the early signing period came and went last week, let's look at the grades and where we stand for each position group/coach. At the end i'll try to speculate with what we still need.

1 - Ryan Held (A)
Summary - Pretty tough to find a better position recruiting class out there, and certainly not in Nebraska's class, which is why we have him at #1 on early signing day. We are still waiting on Mills to get cleared academically, even without him, you still have 3 four stars coming in. He would be the fourth. Crazy to me how good Held is on the recruiting trail, and not just in his position group. He helped reel in others as well. We lack experience coming back with Ozigbo leaving and Wilbon, but we gained a ton of talent. If Mills can't make it, I believe Bivens out of Ohio is our "plan B" there who sat out his senior year to get healthy. With needing 4 RBs this class, and roughly 30 kids total, a guy like Ronald Thompkins is intriguing, as he had schools like Alabama sniffing around since he was so talented. When he hurt his knee, they went away. That's the kind of "risk" you can take when you need so many. Robinson was Mr Gatorade in Kentucky who was stolen from an SEC team. And Rahmir Johnson is equally as good. Four stars like Miles Jones have to get healthy in a hurry, or Ryan Held is going to recruit over you in a year.

2 - Barrett Ruud (A-)
Summary - Barrett Ruud had to replace a starter in Dedrick Young, and while some people may not have been that sad to see him leave, you are replacing nearly 50 starts. That is not easy. You have Mo Barry returning, and after that a bunch of unknowns. Weinmaster had to retire from football. Will Honas who was poised to start in 2019 now has to recover from a blown knee. Miller couldn't stay consistent enough on the field. So what does Ruud go out and do? Signs what looks like the second best position class with 2 four stars and another in-state kid. He also flips a kid committed to South Dakota State and getting a full ride to an FCS power and convinced him to walk on. One of these guys are going to need to play, and if Hannah stays inside, he may be your best bet due to having the size already and being healthy. Henrich will be recovering from a knee injury and will need to put on weight if he wants to help in the B1G, but his film was stated to me as "the best LB film i've ever seen" from one of his recruiters. While Ruud isn't much of a presence on social media or other outlets, he is proving his worth. I will be interested to see how he does in 2020 without an ILB in-state ranked as high as Henrich, but he sealed his class up before the fall even started.

3 - Troy Walters (B+)
Summary - Two "bigger" bodied WRs to go along with a guy like Wandale Robinson in the slot, and that's a heck of a job. Walters needs to replace Stanley Morgan, and the two guys we have committed have the ability to get that done for outside receiving threats. We still have one more spot to fill, and we have a couple four stars in Njoku and Houston. Pull in one of those guys and he may leap-frog Ruud for the spot behind Held. Walters will always get his slot WRs with help from Held, it's up to him to reel these guys in.

4 - Mario Verduzco (B)
Summary - Tough to be too mad at Coach V here, got who he wanted early and it's a name that has some great bloodlines. His grade is hurt due to quantity, but I wouldn't let that bother anyone too much. He's a bit quirky, but all you have to do is get one kid in per year, and we have appeared to get another good one.

5 - Sean Beckton (B-)
Chris Hickman - 3 star
Summary - With a wealth of TEs returning, we had one spot to fill, and Beckton got it done with an in-state kid that had the athleticism to do everything Frost wants. A 3 sport athlete, before he gave up baseball it was rumored that was his best sport. He has the frame to be an absolute stud in this offense and our returning players will give him the opportunity to put on weight and be ready to go for 2020. It is still up in the air a bit if he stays on offense, but I like that we got an in-state kid signed up.

6 - Mike Dawson (B-)
Ethan Piper - 3 star
Mosai Newson - 3 star
Brant Banks - 3 star
Summary - Ty Robinson was a must for Mike Dawson with him sitting at a couple 3 star recruits that were going to need some time. A kid like Robinson could come in and be valuable immediately, but it will be interesting to see if we redshirt him with plenty of DE depth coming back, or get him ready for 2020 with some snaps. The 4 game redshirt rule will help a ton here. I really like Mosai Newsoms film, I think he could turn into a good one for us. The recent addition of Brant Banks on the DL has me scratching my head. I like his film as an OL, really dislike it as a DL. I will be watching this development closely, as this is a perfect example of our staff identifying what they usually look for. But there are about a dozen kids in Nebraska with better defensive film on the line than Banks, they just aren't 6'7". We still have one more spot out there and that could be filled by four star Mathew Pola-Mao. We are missing a NG in this class (if Piper doesn't grow into it) with us letting go of Fair in favor of Daniels, so that would be a huge win. If we can get a kid like Robinson (2019) and Wildeman (2018) every year for DE, then developmental guys, I like where our DL recruiting is going. Mao would be a huge homerun for the interior DL. I didn't include Nelson here, even tho I am thinking he grows into DE. Hopefully get can grow another inch or two as well.

7 - Greg Austin (C)
Michael Lynn - 3 star
Jimmy Fritzsche - 3 star
Summary - This is an interesting position group. Before the Benhart commit, we were sitting at an unqualified Desmond Bland and then two developmental guys. Luckily, Bryce commits, and we take Jimmy Fritzcshe from Clemson to help things out. I have said before that OL is my worst position group to evaluate, and this staff is upping the stakes with that. They are going after kids with good frames that they are hoping Duval can do work on. They are recruiting length which makes it even more difficult to find those wrestler types like Tanner Farmer. Four stars like Jalin Barnett are a thing of the past. This staff wants tall and athletic guys, not squatty bowling balls. This group could fluctuate a little bit with what happens with Bland.

8 - Travis Fisher (C-)
Quinton Newsome - 3 star
Javin Wright - 3 star
Myles Farmer - 3 star
Summary - Just not a ton of "pop" when it comes to rankings, but I don't hate this class. Guys like Newsome and Farmer have some pretty good film despite "only being 3 stars" and Wright is a kid that could go a ton of different ways depending on where his body takes him. Fisher still has a couple fish out there in 4 star Pola-Gates and 3 stars Starks, Mayo, and James. We are needing some help as Jackson and Bootle will be graduated before you know it, and we lost our top 3 safeties. Fisher pulled in a top 5 safety class nationally last year and deserves credit there, can he finish well on 1 or 2 more prospects down the stretch? Hoping so as we need more of "his guys" in that room. As with Coach Austin, how February ends up will determine the outcome. Little early to be down or up on what we have right now, and if we land Pola-Gates, things will certainly be looking up.

9 - Jovan Dewitt (D)
Garrett Nelson - 3 star
Jamin Graham - 3 star
Summary - Don't be too alarmed yet. We looked dead in the water last year before we grabbed Caleb Tannor and Javonte Jean-Baptiste (who a snow day had him flip to Ohio State on us) at the end of the cycle. We have a couple more offers out to some people, but we are missing that elite guy on the edge. Guys like Luke Gifford, Tyrin Ferguson, they are all serviceable, but imagine if we reel in that highly sought after guy to help us? Brandon Mack has decommitted from Pitt and is an option, we also have Larry Asante's brother sitting there. That will also be an interesting one to watch in regard to who our staff is targeting. Asante looks more explosive to me, but isn't as long. Mack however has the better frame, and has other attributes catching our attention. See who we let visit first and go from there to understand who our plan B is. Long story short is we could get bailed out here too due to Jackson Hannah possibly moving here, Javin Wright could grow into the spot, and we have a jUCO option or two still available.

Let's just call it five spots left even tho we don't know what's going to happen with Bland and Mills. Here's who we are looking at:

-Matthew Pola-Mao is a DL we are taking no matter what and can probably fill that NG spot
-We still need a LB... Asante or Mack is who we are going after, heck we may take both depending on how things shape up, things look fluid. As I stated in the summary, check how we handle the visits.
-A big bodied WR is a must still, and we are in on two pretty good ones. Heck, we may take both if numbers play out the way they could. Keep an eye on Houston and Njoku.
-And we still need a corner. We have Mayo, Starks, and James sitting out there. No idea where we stand on any of them. The thing to watch here is where these guys commit to and who we get. The final death blow to Hank Hughes was losing guys to Iowa State visits.
-From there, you have some fluidity based on what happens with guys like Mills. If he doesn't qualify, we probably put the full court press on Bivens.

Time for the staff to regroup and close hard at DB and OLB. Other people like Held and Ruud can start looking at 2020 tape and get a head start there, which is a huge advantage.

That's heavy!

I appreciate the comprehensive analysis. It’s a great summary of where things stand heading into the final stretch towards February closing day.
If we close strong on some of these needs, I’ll be very impressed with this staff.
Just imagining a best case scenario finish that could include: Pola Gates, Pola Mao, Njoku, Mack, and maybe one of Asante/Starks/Mayo/Houston... that has me drooling.
We finish with at least a few of those guys and the class will round out strong.

Agree on the OL. I was impressed with this year’s haul on the OL.
Good heavens. We needed OTs and he lands 4 guys who look like they're going to fill the bill one of whom may play as a true freshman. They're long athletic guys and 2 of them converted from TE this year. This is EXACTLY what we need to be recruiting. Grade of C my ass.

Good heavens. We needed OTs and he lands 4 guys who look like they're going to fill the bill one of whom may play as a true freshman. They're long athletic guys and 2 of them converted from TE this year. This is EXACTLY what we need to be recruiting. Grade of C my ass.

Three of the four are projects. Not saying they won't pan out, but we desperately need guys that can contribute right away. A grade of C is probably appropriate.

Three of the four are projects. Not saying they won't pan out, but we desperately need guys that can contribute right away. A grade of C is probably appropriate.
You're not going to find many OTs who can come in and play right away and we got one. Then we got 3 other OTs who will be ready by their redshirt freshman year. That's pretty damned good IMO. We've got guys who can play this year. Expecting NU to find 2 OTs who could play as true freshmen is totally unrealistic and frankly I would rather take a high schooler and sit him for a year than try to play a JUCO guy right away. That rarely works well on the O line.

Given the staff knew they weren’t in any position to land a top 10 class (3 of 4 losing seasons, etc) they seem to have taken a lot of pride in their talent assessment for the guys they think they can develop. If they finish in the 15-20 team ranking range that’s solid paper talent combined w/ the project kids.
Time will tell, but I like the look of the clay they brought in.

Few random notes:
I’m curious where Piper will end up.
If the LBs can be like Ruud 2.0 or better that’ll be a much needed upgrade. (*ILBs may need to play early as we’re paper thin).

Rhamir Johnson can run. Jamie Nance can run. Wandale Robinson can run. Darien Chase can run.
We needed some runners.
Hopefully Hickman will grow into a quality mismatch.

Between 2018 and 2019 our secondary is getting some big frames. I think that’ll help tighten passing windows for opponents. Fisher says he recruits physicality also- a much needed upgrade.

Speaking of big frames: O-Line.
We gotta gotta get solid upfront. Benhart was a critical piece for this class.

Ty Robinson and Darrion Daniels were massive for what we needed.
The defense will go as the DL goes.

OLB is gonna be interesting to watch in the spring. Not sure we got anyone to compete right away (dont sleep on Garret Nelson going forward) but there are bodies on the roster and some need to step up. 2020 will be important to find an elite pass rusher.

Reactions: headcard
You're not going to find many OTs who can come in and play right away and we got one. Then we got 3 other OTs who will be ready by their redshirt freshman year. That's pretty damned good IMO. We've got guys who can play this year. Expecting NU to find 2 OTs who could play as true freshmen is totally unrealistic and frankly I would rather take a high schooler and sit him for a year than try to play a JUCO guy right away. That rarely works well on the O line.

If you have the luxury of depth of course you take the HS guy and let him develop. We don't have that. Anyways, it's not a bad OL class at all, just think we needed guys that were a little more ready to play.

This is great and all from SSO and thank you for sharing, but do you at least ask him if you can share this across another site? Or has that subject already been addressed

Reactions: TFrazier
Last edited:
I think the grade was a little harsh...you return 3 of 5 starters(ALL JUNIORS) and only lose one backup and we have an IMMEDIATE need to bring in MULTIPLE lineman that can play early???
Bring in a college ready, high school all american tackle who is 6'8 AND 3 great development projects and its a C-???? And thats with the top juco guard commited.sheesh..tough crowd.

Last edited:
I think the grade was a little harsh...you return 3 of 5 starters(ALL JUNIORS) and only lose one backup and we have an IMMEDIATE need to bring in MULTIPLE lineman that can play early???
Bring in a college ready, high school all american tackle who is 6'8 AND 3 great development projects and its a C-???? And thats with the top juco guard commited.sheesh..tough crowd.

Top JUCO guard probably isn't coming. You want at least two-deep that can play without a ton of dropoff. Do we have that right now? Maybe at Guard, but that's it. I don't think that this OL class addressed that problem much, which is why I would agree with the grade given.

Beckton was short changed and Fish over rated...the two GA safeties were more Beckton than Fisher...Fisher was a good coach this season but he has struggled recruiting since coming to NU. He has had to have real help on his commits.

Top JUCO guard probably isn't coming. You want at least two-deep that can play without a ton of dropoff. Do we have that right now? Maybe at Guard, but that's it. I don't think that this OL class addressed that problem much, which is why I would agree with the grade given.
Nobody in a rebuild is gonna have 10 lineman without a falloff. Swing tackle, back up center/guard. They return 7 of 10 from 2 deep last yr. Add HS all american tackle, Jurgens, and Farniok...3 other high school lineman are on the 3 deep...not including Bland who may or may not make it.

Reactions: GretnaShawn

1 - Ryan Held (A)

2 - Barrett Ruud (A-)

3 - Troy Walters (B+)

4 - Mario Verduzco (B)

5 - Sean Beckton (B-)
Chris Hickman - 3 star

6 - Mike Dawson (B-)
Ethan Piper - 3 star
Mosai Newson - 3 star
Brant Banks - 3 star

7 - Greg Austin (C)
Michael Lynn - 3 star
Jimmy Fritzsche - 3 star

8 - Travis Fisher (C-)
Quinton Newsome - 3 star
Javin Wright - 3 star
Myles Farmer - 3 star

9 - Jovan Dewitt (D)
Garrett Nelson - 3 star
Jamin Graham - 3 star

Excellent post sir and a fun read. Thank you!!

Reactions: 1954 and mrruffin10
I always add the link. All you need to do is click on it at the bottom of his post. It's a free board and I always give SSO his credit because he gives good info. We're all Husker fans and it's not top secret pay board info. Just bringing discussion to our board.

Thanks and thanks. Glad it’s shared, it’s always great info or an interesting insight. Wish we had more of that around these parts... :D

Really curious with the backfield and what we do with it. There’s so much talent back there! Wonder if we RS one for a full year while Mills and Wandale play?

Beckton was short changed and Fish over rated...the two GA safeties were more Beckton than Fisher...Fisher was a good coach this season but he has struggled recruiting since coming to NU. He has had to have real help on his commits.
Looks like this was for another post? So is the fish thing a done deal and who are the possible replacements? Does that affect Pola-Gates???

I love the way they are recruiting on the OL...absolutely love it. Get big athletic frames and put the good weight on them yourselves.

Reactions: mrruffin10
For next year, I'd like to see us take less guys who are already injured. I understand why we rolled the dice this year, but you don't want that to turn into a bad habit.

For next year, I'd like to see us take less guys who are already injured. I understand why we rolled the dice this year, but you don't want that to turn into a bad habit.
Who did we take that was injured? I know Thompkins was injured during the season, but he was already a commit when he got hurt. I hadn’t heard of anyone else.

Who did we take that was injured? I know Thompkins was injured during the season, but he was already a commit when he got hurt. I hadn’t heard of anyone else.

Wright is another. Bivens if we take him.

I agree. We got the number one tackle on our board (and apparently Michigan’s board too). We got three other long, athletic guys that have really high ceilings (and Lynn May be slated as a guard). And then we got a big time JUCO guard that WE may not take. Our choice. That’s a crazy great position to be in.

We didn’t get four 5 stars, but we got a top 75 player (according to 247’s ratings - rivals ratings for Benhart are ridiculous) at a position of need. And three more high ceiling guys at a position of need and a day 1 starting JUCO guard, that we may choose to take. How is this not at least a B rating???

Probably my mistake, but I seemed to read article after article about this player who was recovering from a knee injury, and that player who sat out their senior season due to injury and this other player who also had some kind of injury. In my mind it was like, HS player gets injured, Nebraska offers type thing, or was it last year's class? If so, I'm just getting old then. :Cool:

Wright is another. Bivens if we take him.
Wright was Wandale’s backup plan, so he won’t be in. Who knows on Bivens, he seems like a backup plan to Mills. Bivens and Thompkins both coming off knee injuries, playing rb could be concerning, ala Adam Taylor.

Wright was Wandale’s backup plan, so he won’t be in. Who knows on Bivens, he seems like a backup plan to Mills. Bivens and Thompkins both coming off knee injuries, playing rb could be concerning, ala Adam Taylor.

Poor Adam Taylor. I had such high hopes for the kid....

I could have sworn Bivens was an academic concern. Maybe I’m thinking of somebody else. If I am remembering correctly and he is an academic concern, they may be trying to get him so they can place him in a JUCO as a favor. Held is pretty savvy at this game.

Reactions: headcard
What’s Asante’s story that he’s just a 2 star on rivals?

It didn't look like he was going to be eligible. This halted him from circulating the recruiting camps, and it limited his scholarship options. That tide turned at the end of this semester though. He hit the necessary SAT mark and his GPA should be in line going forward.

Reactions: timnsun
Poor Adam Taylor. I had such high hopes for the kid....

I could have sworn Bivens was an academic concern. Maybe I’m thinking of somebody else. If I am remembering correctly and he is an academic concern, they may be trying to get him so they can place him in a JUCO as a favor. Held is pretty savvy at this game.
He missed his entire Sr season after knee surgery, but looked amazing as a Jr. I hadn’t seen where he was an academic risk, but that doesn’t mean much.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Yeah, the era of position coaches doing all of the recruiting for their prospective positions went out with Mike Riley and his bicycle. Someone should inform Damon that he cannot his Mike Riley era grading system anymore. It's a TEAM effort now.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
It didn't look like he was going to be eligible. This halted him from circulating the recruiting camps, and it limited his scholarship options. That tide turned at the end of this semester though. He hit the necessary SAT mark and his GPA should be in line going forward.

That may have affected his offer list (not qualifying) but not his ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT