ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Notes: Practice #3

Matt Reynoldson@Matt_Reynoldson

#Huskers offensive coordinator Troy Walters said the main thing that has surprised him so far about the offensive line was the amount of quality depth. After last year, that’s a surprising revelation.

Practice 3 done. Offensive coaches say defense probably got the better of it today. “But let’s he honest,” Ryan Held said, “if we’re running up and down the field on our defense on Day 3, that’s probably not a good thing.”

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace

Sam McKewon@swmckewonOW
H
Practice over. Troy Walters said offense was sluggish, heavy install day. QBs threw a couple picks, defense had a strong day. More to come in @EvanBlandOWH blog. #huskers

10:37 AM - Mar 29, 2018

Brian Christopherson

Greg Austin says Brenden Jaimes is working at left tackle and Matt Farniok at right tackle, as most suspected.
10:36 AM - Mar 29, 2018

Brian Rosenthal@GBRosenthal
Offensive coordinator Troy Walters said defense came out with more intensity than offense on first day of pads. “Collectively as a group we just weren’t on. Everybody has to be on same page.” Said coaches did install a lot today, but no excuses. #Huskers

10:22 AM - Mar 29, 2018

Christopher Heady@heady_chri
s
In terms of QBs, there’s no 1st group. Everyone is getting same amount of reps. Verduzco said true freshman Adrian Martinez looks good. No rust after sitting out his senior year and no issues with his shoulder. #Huskers

Sam McKewon@swmckewonOW
H
Nebraska OC Troy Walters on #huskers O today: "The defense came out, they attacked, we started too slow. I tell the guys all the time: If we start that way in a game, we’re down 14-0. In this league, the schedule we play, we’ve got to attack and be ready to go."

11:03 AM - Mar 29, 2018

Parker Gabriel@HuskerExtraPG

Mario Verduzco on freshman Adrian Martinez: "You’d never know that he hadn’t played for a while. ... You really wouldn’t. You would think that he just played his senior year and away we go. He’s been fine in the meetings, he’s been fine at practice." #Huskers

11:48 AM - Mar 29, 2018

Last edited:

Matt Reynoldson@Matt_Reynoldson

#Huskers offensive coordinator Troy Walters said the main thing that has surprised him so far about the offensive line was the amount of quality depth. After last year, that’s a surprising revelation.

Practice 3 done. Offensive coaches say defense probably got the better of it today. “But let’s he honest,” Ryan Held said, “if we’re running up and down the field on our defense on Day 3, that’s probably not a good thing.”

Wow....the OLine looks good??? I'm thrilled "and" shocked!

kind of supports the theory that the problem was pretty much all Cavanaugh and not so much the players themselves.

It's early. Way, way early.

The good news is, from here on out, coaching is no longer an issue.

Key is developing the right personnel at the right positions in what would logically seem to be a free for all positions. No more coddling.

Reactions: husker2612
Not to nit-pik but he didn't say they "looked good" but he commented on the amount of quality depth.
The other fact is that a former pipeline member commented that he thought Cav was actually a pretty good O line coach but that the blocking schemes Langsdorf wanted run with his offense were not logical. Who knows. The bottom line is that it appears our staff is all on the same page now. That's what matters.

Reactions: newAD and Mtnhusker
The other fact is that a former pipeline member commented that he thought Cav was actually a pretty good O line coach but that the blocking schemes Langsdorf wanted run with his offense were not logical. Who knows. The bottom line is that it appears our staff is all on the same page now. That's what matters.

unity of purpose
purity of essence

I remember hearing an interview for a former lineman. He pointed out part of the technique used was different than what he was taught. One particular thing he mentioned was the first step coming out of their stance. When he played, they were taught to step forward, driving into the defender and initiating contact. He mentioned last season, they were initially stepping to the side and letting the defender come to them. With his explanation, he pointed out that gives the defense a big advantage.

That technique could very well be because of the blocking schemes Langsdorf wanted.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_c2c7c39a-5b8b-596d-af2e-50ead57b3cb4.html
Also been noticing throughout winter and spring. We are seeing more of the old school husker logo. I am assuming these are not shirts and hats that the staff dug out of storage somewhere. Going to assume this old school logo being worn is done for a reason?
I won't consider the staff to be oldschool until they break out the fedoras.

070115c.jpg

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_c2c7c39a-5b8b-596d-af2e-50ead57b3cb4.html
Also been noticing throughout winter and spring. We are seeing more of the old school husker logo. I am assuming these are not shirts and hats that the staff dug out of storage somewhere. Going to assume this old school logo being worn is done for a reason?

The cursive blood Huskers logo I heard was suppose to coming back and they were no longer using the logo that looks like the Mississippi State logo with the block Huskers through the “N”.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The cursive blood Huskers logo I heard was suppose to coming back and they were no longer using the logo that looks like the Mississippi State logo with the block Huskers through the “N”.
Don't think I have heard Frost say Huskers. Probably missed it but it seems to me he uses Cornhuskers.

Don't think I have heard Frost say Huskers. Probably missed it but it seems to me he uses Cornhuskers.
I hated the new logo. It did look just like Miss St. I have no problem updating the brand from time to time but make it unique don't copy someone else. Frost has said many times he wants to rebuild that type of culture from the 90s. I guess having the look from the 90s is a good start.
Curious to see what he does with uniforms? Or does the HC even have a say in what uniforms look like? I know he has said when he was at Oregon. He like the alt uniforms. That the kids really liked them and it was a good recruiting tool.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Too be honest I heard about changing the logo before Eichorst was fired, so this has nothing to do with SF arrival at Nebraska.

None of us know if SF makes any changes to the uniforms if he even decides to change them at all with the history we have had...

Wouldn’t surprise me if we have some alternate uniforms and helmets, seems like the players this day and age enjoy them...Majority of the time Head Coach’s have a say in uniform changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT