ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Notes: Practice #10

Greg Smith@GregSmithHV

3-star DE (6-6, 230) @IsaacTownsend13 from Aurora, Colorado is in Lincoln today for an unofficial visit. #Huskers

HV Profile: https://hailvarsity.com/players/8637

Brian Rosenthal@GBRosenthal

“We’re not tying to hide anything. I don’t have any secrets. It’s 11 guys trying to get off blocks and tackle,” #Huskers defensive coordinator Erik Chinander on practicing in front of hundreds Saturday for high school coaches clinic.

12:15 PM - Apr 14, 2018

“I wouldn’t say we have a bell cow right now, a guy on the field the guys can rally around,” Chinander said of search for a vocal leader. #Huskers

12:19 PM - Apr 14, 2018

Derek Peterson@DrPetey15
5h
Travis Fisher says if he had to name a guy that has improved the most in the #Huskers secondary from Day One to now, he'd pick Lamar Jackson.

Parker Gabriel@HuskerExtraPG

Interesting note from Jovan Dewitt on Caleb Lightbourn emerging as an impressive kickoff option. Says he thinks there’s a correlation between punting power and kickoff ability. It’s showing this spring with Lightbourn. #Huskers

12:46 PM - Apr 14, 2018

Defensive backs coach Travis Fisher likes versatility of Dicaprio Bootle; can put him inside at nickel, outside at corner; even got a rep at safety Saturday. "He tackles very well for a corner," Fisher said. "He's pretty smart." #Huskers

12:50 PM - Apr 14, 2018

Brian Christopherson

✔@Husker247BC

Barrett Ruud says fellow staff members who didn't have previous Husker connections have "seen the passion (by fans), and they've been really impressed by it. I think they feel that same sense of duty."

12:51 PM - Apr 14, 2018

Travis Fisher said his secondary isn't getting enough hands on balls. "That’s one thing I’m not very pleased with," he said. “We get our share of PBUs but PBUs don’t win ball games. We need turnovers. We need picks.” #Huskers
12:53 PM - Apr 14, 2018

Video of practice:
https://cbsprt.co/2IrXhKz

Mike'l Severe@MikelSever
e

2019 Draft Senior WR rankings
1) David Sills WVU
2) Parris Campbell OSU
3) Deebo Samuel South Carolina
4) Stanley Morgan NU
5) Terry Godwin UGA

11:40 AM - Apr 14, 2018

Sam McKewon@swmckewonOWH

4h
If, by opening kickoff 2018, all 11 of Nebraska's defensive starters are guys who started last season, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were a heck of a lot better, too. #huskers

The one who might start that didn't last year...Will Honas. I could see that one.

Seeing Ruud basically call out Roberts is a good thing. Yes, he’s saying Roberts has things to work on but at the same time (outside the obvious) that shows what Ruud thinks of Roberts. He must see the potential there and has an idea what’s kind of slowing him down. If Roberts gets himself into Ruuds version of “in shape” I have a feeling Avery Roberts could be a starter along with Honas. Those are my two picks for starting LBs next year.

Lamar Jackson, that doesn’t surprise me one bit. The young man has all the talent in the world but had bad coaching and needed to get better, simple as that. Now he’s got the coaching and hopefully this means things are clicking for him (or at least starting to click). I have a feeling we will see Jackson and Lee playing light years better this year and Bootle coming in as Nickle or back up, and playing a lot stronger as well. I’m curious how safety will shape up. Aarron Williams for sure but next to him will it be Reed, Dismuke, D Williams, or who?? Any takers here?? Maybe Cam Jones or Cam Taylor?? I’d assume they Red shirt but maybe there that good they see the field as number twos?? Or maybe even CJ Smith...but at 6’3 195...I’m guessing he’s headed for a red shirt as well unless he’s just that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: husker021
The more I read about Bootle, and know he played both safety and corner last year, the more I like what I read. He sounds like he will be he next Eric Hagg/Dejon Gomes guy. Hagg was a great tackler and Gomes was a great cover guy, but both possessed the ability to physically cover a guy and take him to the ground when a tackle was needed. I thought Hagg was our best tackler since Mike Brown and Gomes was just a witch getting up in some guys jersey. That pick he made in the Texas game was just stupid. If Bootle could be a cross between those guys, he would be something special.

Seeing Ruud basically call out Roberts is a good thing. Yes, he’s saying Roberts has things to work on but at the same time (outside the obvious) that shows what Ruud thinks of Roberts. He must see the potential there and has an idea what’s kind of slowing him down. If Roberts gets himself into Ruuds version of “in shape” I have a feeling Avery Roberts could be a starter along with Honas. Those are my two picks for starting LBs next year.

Lamar Jackson, that doesn’t surprise me one bit. The young man has all the talent in the world but had bad coaching and needed to get better, simple as that. Now he’s got the coaching and hopefully this means things are clicking for him (or at least starting to click). I have a feeling we will see Jackson and Lee playing light years better this year and Bootle coming in as Nickle or back up, and playing a lot stronger as well. I’m curious how safety will shape up. Aarron Williams for sure but next to him will it be Reed, Dismuke, D Williams, or who?? Any takers here?? Maybe Cam Jones or Cam Taylor?? I’d assume they Red shirt but maybe there that good they see the field as number twos?? Or maybe even CJ Smith...but at 6’3 195...I’m guessing he’s headed for a red shirt as well unless he’s just that good.

What we sometimes forget about Jackson is that he didn’t play DB in high school. He was way behind the learning curve when he got here.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Everyone was down on L. Jackson after the last 2 years. That guy has manned up and said I need to be better and more physical and according to the coaches he has done that. That to me is impressive. Congrats L. Jackson. That can only be done by changing your attitude, behavior, and coaching. Lots of RESPECT.

Correct. He didn’t play CB. He played some safety. But was mainly an offensive player. QB/RB.

Yep, he was rated as the number 1 safety in the country but he was the teams QB if I remember right. So yea, he was a bit behind the curve compared to others that came in playing DB there senior seasons. And I agree about Jackson, I knew he struggled and needed to improve but I never hated on him and knew he’d eventually turn that corner. I could see the talent he had, he just needed things to click and the rest would go hand in hand for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT