ADVERTISEMENT

Spring football

Meanwhile in Iowa City, they are firing up the Cuckeye Express for Kkkirk’s next recruiting trip.

00z0z_eYwzeqWoJtHz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
Well if Iowa has anything to do with my question, and you showed this I guess it means a plane isn’t worth anything since Iowa hit 10 wins last year. Not sure if you are trying to be funny but it shows the plane is meaningless to success. Just say that instead of bringing another school into this.

Not sure why anybody would expect that HH wouldn't be taking the 1st team reps.

They didn't move him to a different position. He has the most (and only) experience. He was 5-3 as the starter and only lost his starting spot because he got hurt. He's earned the 1st spot.

He did some really nice things last year. He also did some not great things. It is entirely possible that having a position coach and another year of experience could go a long ways to making him the qb that we all want him to be. Changing his release point would be a big step in the right direction..

I'm big HH fan. Love his toughness, I think he is a really good athlete and a terrific football player. I've been pretty vocal about him being a TE, but I also think Rhule knows what he is doing. As such, I agree with your last sentence, 100%.

Let the best man win.

Making the playoff would also be great

In a perfect world where we had 4 other QBs he probably WOULD be a TE/HB. I was pretty vocal about him not being very good as a QB and I stand by that. Facts of the matter is that he's really "taking one for the team" by staying at QB. If he has any dreams of playing at the next level it won't be at QB. His best position next level like you said would be if he had a couple years to develop at that TE hybrid spot.

While I'm not a big fan of his at QB he appears to be a great kid with a team first mentality. I wish him the best moving forward. But I'll also say if he's starting next year my expectations go way down and Raiola isn't near as good as everyone thought he was.

Holla

I think Dowdell will be important, but have heard he lacks the big time speed. I long for the days of a complete back that can make short yardage plays, but also bust a homerun if needed. We haven't had that for awhile now and I think Nebraska is due for a big time back. Shit part is, Omaha used to churn them out. Hasn't seemed to happen for a bit.

I think people are gonna be a bit disappointed in what Dowdell is. I hope I'm wrong but most took him as a huge upgrade over what we have and I'm not sure that's the case.

I read on other boards about how slow Ervins is. How much Grant fumbled (he did). How Rhamir seemed hurt a ton (Ervin also). How Johnson is pretty much just a guy (possibly).

I watched the film on Dowdell and he seemed to be a big guy with pretty good burst. But not near the explosion that I'd like to see. Hopefully his short are quickness is enough to get him through holes where he can punish a tackling DB. But I don't see that "dude" like some expect him to be. In fact Ervins is/was bigger and faster than Dowdell. Not that it's the end all be all.

I think our RB is super average. We need a difference maker in the worst way. Probably haven't had one since Ameer left and that's a long time.

Holla

Everyone who has seen him have spoken highly of him.
I know Lloyd and Coleman were the guys who avoided RS last year. But the more I hear the guys who did RS like Bell and the kid from St Louis may be even better.

That room is gonna be fun to watch moving forward. The group they brought in this year is really good as well.

Holla

Not sure why anybody would expect that HH wouldn't be taking the 1st team reps.

They didn't move him to a different position. He has the most (and only) experience. He was 5-3 as the starter and only lost his starting spot because he got hurt. He's earned the 1st spot.

He did some really nice things last year. He also did some not great things. It is entirely possible that having a position coach and another year of experience could go a long ways to making him the qb that we all want him to be. Changing his release point would be a big step in the right direction..

I'm big HH fan. Love his toughness, I think he is a really good athlete and a terrific football player. I've been pretty vocal about him being a TE, but I also think Rhule knows what he is doing. As such, I agree with your last sentence, 100%.

Let the best man win.

Making the playoff would also be great
Haarberg was the only QB who won games last year, I would consider that a big positive.

In a perfect world where we had 4 other QBs he probably WOULD be a TE/HB. I was pretty vocal about him not being very good as a QB and I stand by that. Facts of the matter is that he's really "taking one for the team" by staying at QB. If he has any dreams of playing at the next level it won't be at QB. His best position next level like you said would be if he had a couple years to develop at that TE hybrid spot.

While I'm not a big fan of his at QB he appears to be a great kid with a team first mentality. I wish him the best moving forward. But I'll also say if he's starting next year my expectations go way down and Raiola isn't near as good as everyone thought he was.

Holla
Exactly.

I think people are gonna be a bit disappointed in what Dowdell is. I hope I'm wrong but most took him as a huge upgrade over what we have and I'm not sure that's the case.

I read on other boards about how slow Ervins is. How much Grant fumbled (he did). How Rhamir seemed hurt a ton (Ervin also). How Johnson is pretty much just a guy (possibly).

I watched the film on Dowdell and he seemed to be a big guy with pretty good burst. But not near the explosion that I'd like to see. Hopefully his short are quickness is enough to get him through holes where he can punish a tackling DB. But I don't see that "dude" like some expect him to be. In fact Ervins is/was bigger and faster than Dowdell. Not that it's the end all be all.

I think our RB is super average. We need a difference maker in the worst way. Probably haven't had one since Ameer left and that's a long time.

Holla
Johnson looked pretty twitchy to me last fall. Rhule seems very high on his potential. Called him an elite athlete. 🤷‍♂️

Everyone who has seen him have spoken highly of him.
I know Lloyd and Coleman were the guys who avoided RS last year. But the more I hear the guys who did RS like Bell and the kid from St Louis may be even better.

That room is gonna be fun to watch moving forward. The group they brought in this year is really good as well.

Holla

Last edited:
Johnson looked pretty twitchy to me last fall. Rhule seems very high on his potential. Called him an elite athlete. 🤷‍♂️
Rhule says a lot things to sound positive. Everyone, pretty much at this level, is an elite athlete.

What does “twitchy” really mean?

Now we’re talking!

Grades so bad he can’t get into the SEC schools but can come to NU

I love to see it. More please!
His story makes more sense now. People have been hyping him for while and I wondered why if he was so good he didn't sniff the field last fall. Brilliant move by Rhule, if true.

Could have a pretty good passing game next year.

Holla
Dowdell was awfully productive at the HS level, huge rushing numbers, top FB player in MS as a senior, and state championship game MVP his final two seasons. We had that Morrison kid from OK that put of huge HS numbers, but then didn't amount to much either at NU or KU. NU's RB room is improved in Dowdell is even an Imani Cross level RB. But you are right in that the top end of the room doesn't seem to contain a Roy, Rex or AA. I think EJ will be a fine back if his game takes another step forward. He and Dowdell were highly decorated HS RBs and I think that counts for something. And having a QB that can get the ball to where it is actually supposed to go will not doubt loosen some running lanes.

Rhule says a lot things to sound positive. Everyone, pretty much at this level, is an elite athlete.

What does “twitchy” really mean?
very quick. For those of us with some scientific background it implies a higher development of fast twitch muscle fibers.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Dowdell was awfully productive at the HS level, huge rushing numbers, top FB player in MS as a senior, and state championship game MVP his final two seasons. We had that Morrison kid from OK that put of huge HS numbers, but then didn't amount to much either at NU or KU. NU's RB room is improved in Dowdell is even an Imani Cross level RB. But you are right in that the top end of the room doesn't seem to contain a Roy, Rex or AA. I think EJ will be a fine back if his game takes another step forward. He and Dowdell were highly decorated HS RBs and I think that counts for something. And having a QB that can get the ball to where it is actually supposed to go will not doubt loosen some running lanes.
Despite all the fumbles and injuries, NU was second I believe in rushing in the B1G last year. Now that was without having a passing game to keep defenders from stacking the box although that was offset some by the QB running game threat. We'll just have to see how 2024 shakes out. I think we'll be fine IF we don't continue to suffer fumbles and a ton of injuries.

Holla
I think Dowdell will be a thumper who can catch the ball out of the backfield if need be. That's fine. We need a guy who can get a tough 2 yards at times. Hopefully he's good in pass pro.

Despite all the fumbles and injuries, NU was second I believe in rushing in the B1G last year. Now that was without having a passing game to keep defenders from stacking the box although that was offset some by the QB running game threat. We'll just have to see how 2024 shakes out. I think we'll be fine IF we don't continue to suffer fumbles and a ton of injuries.
Is there a way to look up rushing totals in the BIG by RBs only?

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
Nice, but Haarbergs accuracy only has 1 direction to go 🤣
HH has a strong arm but, imho, his release could be quicker if he can smooth out that hitch he has when he throws. I think with a year of experience under his belt and with a QB coach he'll improve his throwing motion and accuracy.

Reactions: king_kong_
I think Dowdell will be a thumper who can catch the ball out of the backfield if need be. That's fine. We need a guy who can get a tough 2 yards at times. Hopefully he's good in pass pro.

Absolutely a guy like that can be useful. I guess I was simply saying that I'm not sure he's the all around difference maker like many think he will be. Hopefully he's better all around than I think he is because a good RB is so underrated these days.

Holla

I took an hoping for similar success from him. I actually liked bits and pieces from all of our RBs. Just would be nice to have "a guy" who could kinda do it all. We have been spoiled at Nebraska with really good RBs for a long time. It's been a pretty long drought. Hopefully we can get that guy soon if nobody currently fits the bill. I think the guy who decommitted last year was that kinda guy. So we are on the right path I think.

Holla

I took an hoping for similar success from him. I actually liked bits and pieces from all of our RBs. Just would be nice to have "a guy" who could kinda do it all. We have been spoiled at Nebraska with really good RBs for a long time. It's been a pretty long drought. Hopefully we can get that guy soon if nobody currently fits the bill. I think the guy who decommitted last year was that kinda guy. So we are on the right path I think.

Holla
It would have been nice for Frost to have had another year of service from Zig. Had a great season and has kicked around on pro rosters of one type or another. Probably our bests back since the great trio we had from Roy to AA, but def a cut below them. I do think the HS success of EJ and Dowdell can't be discounted. And both spent a year buried on a roster, and I would imagine a guy who had enormous HS success would come out of that determined to prove himself. EJ got a chance to show what he could do. I'm hoping for a similar or better performance from Dowdell.
Of the recent backs that have produced at a high level, Roy 5.5 3*, Rex a 5.8 4*, AA was a 5.7 3* and Zig was a 5.6 3*. One minor blue chip in the bunch. Don't really remember Roy's recruitment, but I know the staff really wanted Rex. NU got AA because the staff agreed to give him shot at RB. He was ranked lower than Heard and Green, the two blue chip RBs from that cycle.
Ron Brown liked EJ, and I'll take his word when it comes to RBs.

very quick. For those of us with some scientific background it implies a higher development of fast twitch muscle fibers.
Red vs white muscle fibers. Each person is born with a finite number of each, that "born with" number can't be increased, but the muscle fibers can be broken down and made bigger.

I always hated when the former DB coach called someone a "slow blinker." Just a politically correct way of just saying he was a stupid.

In coaching we called it “quick twitch”, a person who has done too many drugs or drank too much is twitchy. 😉

Scientific huh? Like the Covid science?

It would have been nice for Frost to have had another year of service from Zig. Had a great season and has kicked around on pro rosters of one type or another. Probably our bests back since the great trio we had from Roy to AA, but def a cut below them. I do think the HS success of EJ and Dowdell can't be discounted. And both spent a year buried on a roster, and I would imagine a guy who had enormous HS success would come out of that determined to prove himself. EJ got a chance to show what he could do. I'm hoping for a similar or better performance from Dowdell.
Of the recent backs that have produced at a high level, Roy 5.5 3*, Rex a 5.8 4*, AA was a 5.7 3* and Zig was a 5.6 3*. One minor blue chip in the bunch. Don't really remember Roy's recruitment, but I know the staff really wanted Rex. NU got AA because the staff agreed to give him shot at RB. He was ranked lower than Heard and Green, the two blue chip RBs from that cycle.
Ron Brown liked EJ, and I'll take his word when it comes to RBs.
Mills was also pretty good on all 3 downs.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
In coaching we called it “quick twitch”, a person who has done too many drugs or drank too much is twitchy. 😉

Scientific huh? Like the Covid science?
40 years ago in a post grad level microanatomy course I learned about fast and slow twitch muscle fibers. Explosive athletes have a higher percentage of fast twitch muscle fibers. Yeah though I know a kid who did too many drugs too who is "twitchy". There are lots of coaches and commentators who use the word twitchy in a positive manner. But you do you.;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT