ADVERTISEMENT

Spring ball thoughts to date

mike513

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2009
Seeing some of the recent topics on RSS: “How Many Pokemon Do You Currently Have In Your Pokedex?:”, “Best/Favorite Breed of Dog”, etc. I thought this may be a good time to post a few things.

I’ve said this for a couple of years now but “inside” information is relatively innocuous under this staff as they’re very open with the media. Outside of the scuffles, who talks the most trash, so on, you all get a pretty good grasp on who is performing to standard and who isn’t. I’ll try to add as much context as possible and will try to respond to questions of there are any.

I guess as good a spot as any to start is the Spring DC. I’ll add names that may not be mentioned and use arrows for my OPINION on their trends through a few practices (which, really, doesn’t hold a lot of weight)

DE
Freedom Akinmoladun up
DaiShon Neal
A.J. Natter 
NT
Mick Stoltenberg 
Khalil Davis 
DE
Carlos Davis 
Peyton Newell 
OLB
Marcus Newby 
Luke Gifford 
OLB
Alex Davis 
Quayshon Alexander 
Sedrick King 
Ben Stille 
ILB
Dedrick Young 
Mohamed Barry 
Greg Simmons 
ILB
Chris Weber 
Avery Roberts 
CB
Chris Jones 
DiCaprio Bootle 
CB
Joshua Kalu 
Lamar Jackson 
Boaz Joseph 
FS
Aaron Williams 
Kieron Williams 
Tony Butler 
SS
Antonio Reed 
JoJo Domann 
Marquel Dismuke 

Tempo has been good. Defensive staffs’ attitude has permeated throughout the whole team. Coach Williams wears shorts, cleats and gloves to every practice – this is as reliable as the Dub being in sweats (if it hasn’t been mentioned, he’ll tell you he does this so none of the players can say they’re hotter than he is). Above all, they’re good teachers. Lot’s corrections being made, but in a generally constructive way. The competition is real, at all spots and that’s refreshing.

Lots of emphasis on the little things. Hands, feet, stance for the lineman – eyes, hips, etc. for skill guys. If you don’t do it right, you’ll get an immediate correction. Been told that the staff felt we left a lot on the field last year due to small issues being compounded. A paramount has been placed on the minute details in film and thus far in Spring.

The QB’s receive a grade for every throw. A month ago I would have said there is no real competition for this spot but POB has turned some heads. At the last practice I was told Lee had 74% completion percentage and POB 73. While the defensive calls vary, the QB’s have split equal reps and calls to assist in accurate grading. I’d still give Lee the edge based on the intangibles but POB is not far off. While on QB’s, Gebbia working to put on weight and has added nearly 15 pounds of good weight since arriving. I suspect he’ll grow another inch or so and add 15 more pounds by next year. Nice product for the future.
Defensive is loud and has swagger. Diaco’s “no-walk” policy is evident. Seems like he’s preached the importance of creating turnovers – lots of guys trying to strip the ball. This does not always go over well with the O.

Guys not mentioned above but one’s I have hopes for:

Barnett — Has done a good job reshaping his body. Has work to do but has come a long way.

Keyan Williams — Well versed in what his position coach is looking for. Could be a factor in a group that is looking for some guys to step up.

Matt Snyder — Has to get it together mentally. Has the intangibles.

I’d put the RB rotation like this for now:

1. Bryant
2. WIlbon
3. Manzour
4. OZ
Definite goal not to make this a committee approach again however, no one has really separated themselves. Each has a unique skill set that makes them a little more valuable in certain circumstances. If I was saying the most complete back, I’d go with Bryant followed by Manzour. Wilbon is the shiftiest and has good speed out of the backfield but lacks ball security at times. OZ is the bruiser and will see time in short yardage situations. All these guys had good winter sessions and graded out high.

Decker has a pretty good hold on the C position from what I’m told. Last year he sort of mailed it in once it became clear they weren’t going to replace the Sr. Captain no matter how poor he performed. There was some sort of come-to-Jesus w/ Cav after the season and he was essentially told he’d be coached up or coached out. He choose to commit himself again and this battle will remain a good one to watch into the Fall.

Unfortunately, I don’t have much confidence in Knevel. Despite him being a mountain of a man, he’s a bit of a paper tiger. Need to find a better option here – not sure Conrad is that guy either. The OL is going to be called upon to do a lot of new things this year (IZ/OZ) so it should open up competition based upon individual skill sets but I have my doubts. Some peers feel like this group could be a strength of the team but I’m not as optimistic.

We’ll need some young guys to step up. Have big hopes for Mo Barry, LJax if he can figure it out mentally, Watts, Guy Thomas, Lindsey have legit shots to see the field if they work hard. One problem I’ve noted is some of the young guys appear intimidated by a group of strong personalities that have been here a couple years. Need them to step up and get noticed cause some of them are better than the guys in front of them but don’t get to showcase it enough.

Running short on time so that’s all for now. GBR

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News