ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams

Thanks for putting these in a table for me. How were you able to put that in there?

Just used Excel and inputted your data. Bolded and centered the headers and resized the column widths. Used HyperSnap to create a custom screen capture and create a jpg. Upload to free image host. Voila!

Maybe another fact to consider is how many of the teams in front of NU special teams stats are paying for a special teams coach? Am thinking most are not...
Part of his salary is a ST coach. The other part is recruiting. Break that up however you like.

Part of his salary is a ST coach. The other part is recruiting. Break that up however you like.
I like when people complain about our coaches salaries. The .12 cents out of their ticket purchase that goes toward them is sending them to the poor house

Reactions: huntered
This thread is awesome. This NEBRASKA coach that you are ragging on wears many different hats, and busts his butt on the recruiting trail. And on this very same site, not many posts away.... people are defending an ex-coach who did not even recruit off-campus, and was shuffled in and out of various positions that he vastly underperformed in. THIS is exactly why some people think that just because someone used to play here means they shouldn't just be given any coaching position they want, their merit be damned.

How do you know what he does and doesn't do? As far as I know his official title is special teams coordinator. Facts are special teams are not good (drew brown and demorney would be good with or without him). As far as recruiting goes he is hardly EVER credited with a big catch or mentioned by recruits (Iike Williams). As far as money goes everyone is right that is the athletic departments business. As far as I can tell he doesn't bring much to the table. Billy devaney, Ryan G., Andy v., Kenny w., Todd m. , and nick h. are all recruiting dept. and coordinators.

How do you know what he does and doesn't do? As far as I know his official title is special teams coordinator. Facts are special teams are not good (drew brown and demorney would be good with or without him). As far as recruiting goes he is hardly EVER credited with a big catch or mentioned by recruits (Iike Williams).
That's because if I understand it correctly, he is a talent evaluator and helps decide who should get offers, not primarily an on the trail recruiter. There's a difference between the two.

How do you know what he does and doesn't do? As far as I know his official title is special teams coordinator. Facts are special teams are not good (drew brown and demorney would be good with or without him). As far as recruiting goes he is hardly EVER credited with a big catch or mentioned by recruits (Iike Williams). As far as money goes everyone is right that is the athletic departments business. As far as I can tell he doesn't bring much to the table. Billy devaney, Ryan G., Andy v., Kenny w., Todd m. , and nick h. are all recruiting dept. and coordinators.
I take it you didn't read my earlier post in this thread. He is the main talent evaluator within the program along with Devaney and he confirms most offers before they are sent out.

Not so sure your claim about Brown after his early struggles last year. And it is apparent that you cannot compute things mentioned already as it pertains to the discussion of his encompassing value.

Again, if you are strictly looking at special teams results from the guy who is responsible for them, then Read is probably not your guy. If you watch Nebraska's special teams, it's pretty obvious that there isn't a difference-maker coaching them. But if you are looking for something else, then maybe he is your guy. I personally don't know exactly what his other responsibilities are, but maybe those are the things that make him very valuable to the staff.

Reactions: timnsun
Not so sure your claim about Brown after his early struggles last year. And it is apparent that you cannot compute things mentioned already as it pertains to the discussion of his encompassing value.

So using your logic --1) Read started coaching him last year 2)He struggled
Got it!
Can anyone come forward and show me where Riley or Devaney said that Read is "main talent evaluator" --- I've never seen it. All I have ever read or seen is that he is Special Teams coordinator, period.

So using your logic --1) Read started coaching him last year 2)He struggled
Got it!
Can anyone come forward and show me where Riley or Devaney said that Read is "main talent evaluator" --- I've never seen it. All I have ever read or seen is that he is Special Teams coordinator, period.
Does somebody need to come out and say it? If that's what he does, then that's what he does. I wasn't aware that Coach Riley owed you an explanation of all of each assistant coach's duties.
Your problem is you've made up your mind that Read is worthless and shouldn't be on the staff, never mind the facts about all of what he does.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Special team numbers/rankings for 2015 and to date 2016

2015 2016
  • blocked kicks #43 0
  • blocked kicks allowed #57 #116
  • blocked punts #28 0
  • Blocked punts allowed #1(0) #116(3)
  • KO rtn defense #21 #60
  • KO rtns #116 #9
  • net punting #45 #128
  • punt rtn defense #104 #112
  • punt rtns #33 #37
Is this guy worth his pay and if so what does Read bring to the table that helps this program and team win. Not to pick on him but the results are pretty bad
Appreciate the time it takes to accumulate the stats. They point to something you don't really need stats to point out.

And that is that when you have arguably the best punt returner in the nation, you design returns that give the kid a chance to break one. What I'm seeing now reminds of how our returners used to field punts with 6 guys around them with no Nebraska blockers in sight. With what I've seen lately, DPE has no chance.

Reactions: huntered
I take it you didn't read my earlier post in this thread. He is the main talent evaluator within the program along with Devaney and he confirms most offers before they are sent out.

He could maintain that talent evaluator role in an office position. Why does he need to take up a coaching position? Let him do his thing behind a desk and promote Tavita or hire another good coach/recruiter.

Does somebody need to come out and say it? If that's what he does, then that's what he does. I wasn't aware that Coach Riley owed you an explanation of all of each assistant coach's duties.
Your problem is you've made up your mind that Read is worthless and shouldn't be on the staff, never mind the facts about all of what he does.[/QUOTE

Where are these "facts about all of what he does" you speak of?

Where are these "facts about all of what he does" you speak of?
So you think those that say he is the main talent evaluator on the staff are making it up? Either call them liars for making it up, come up with contrary information to prove that it's not true or acknowledge that it's the truth.

He could maintain that talent evaluator role in an office position. Why does he need to take up a coaching position? Let him do his thing behind a desk and promote Tavita or hire another good coach/recruiter.
exactly - I dont care how much they pay that is not the point. The issue is we have only so many coaches allowed if his main coaching responsibility is not doing well its a big issue. If he brings value as a talent evaluater then fine let him keep doing that - I know of no other team in the nation that keeps a coordinator solely for his ability to rate film

Last edited:
exactly - I dont care how much they pay that is not the point. The issue is we have only so many coaches allowed if his main coaching responsibility is not doing well its a big issue. If he brings value as a talent evaluater then fine let keep doing that - I know of no other team in the nation that keeps a coordinator solely for his ability to rate film
Very first post in this thread (started by you), you brought up his pay. Now you don't care? Asked directly what he should make... crickets from you. Ask what on staff we are missing to take away a special teams coach... again crickets.
You are nothing if not predictable.

Below is one of many articles where Read is mentioned. One doesn't have to justify what's so obvious.

But while the Wolverines entered the party late, Riley had been there for a while. Along with NU special-teams coordinator Bruce Read, he'd been recruiting Snyder for a year. Snyder had committed to Oregon State, then followed the coach to Nebraska.

One can also pay attention to where the coaches go on visits then notice how offers are soon to follow. And if we already offered, one will notice how our recruiting efforts pick up following where coach Read was visiting. Just like in Oklahoma earlier this year.

Unless of course ones agenda doesn't get in the way. Sniff, cough, finger point at you, little a.

Very first post in this thread (started by you), you brought up his pay. Now you don't care? Asked directly what he should make... crickets from you. Ask what on staff we are missing to take away a special teams coach... again crickets.

Here is what I said "Is this guy worth his pay and if so what does Read bring to the table that helps this program and team win" I am referencing if he is pulling his weight, the program has plenty of money if Riley wants to pay fine its not about cash - its about what type of coach could be attracted to this position for that amount. I also think a special teams coach can be a good idea if it actually makes a difference in special teams. You ask what other type of coach would we need Oline or dedicated safeties coach would be my take

It amazes me that you guys are on here defending Read why? what in his history would indicate he is a good special teams coach? he tried the NFL a couple of times and was fired each time. He did not light it up during his tenure at Oregon State. So why are posters on here thinking he is a good coach - there has been zero evidence of that anywhere he has been, including here

It amazes me that you guys are on here defending Read why? what in his history would indicate he is a good special teams coach? he tried the NFL a couple of times and was fired each time. He did not light it up during his tenure at Oregon State. So why are posters on here thinking he is a good coach - there has been zero evidence of that anywhere he has been, including here
I am because I know everything he does, and I think it's hilarious that you have it out for this staff. You are the same type who defended Barney, and Read does 4 times what he dreamed of. Until the stupid double standard is put to bed, I will continue to point it out.

Like I said earlier, what he makes does not matter. I don't know why people keep focusing on that. If he doesn't cut it, he will probably get pushed into an admin role with talent evaluation as his only role. Also, there will more than likely be an additional coaching spot added to the staff by as early as next year as permitted by the NCAA.

Here is what I said "Is this guy worth his pay and if so what does Read bring to the table that helps this program and team win" I am referencing if he is pulling his weight, the program has plenty of money if Riley wants to pay fine its not about cash - its about what type of coach could be attracted to this position for that amount. I also think a special teams coach can be a good idea if it actually makes a difference in special teams. You ask what other type of coach would we need Oline or dedicated safeties coach would be my take
We have an oline coach, and our d-coordinator coaches our safeties. Just like our previous head coach. Do you feel the safeties are bad? Please back that up with any semblance of proof.

You said the exact same thing about Mike Riley and staff all last year. So, we're 7-0 this year and you pick on Read. Low lying fruit.

I am because I know everything he does, and I think it's hilarious that you have it out for this staff. You are the same type who defended Barney, and Read does 4 times what he dreamed of. Until the stupid double standard is put to bed, I will continue to point it out.
I realize you are an angry person in general but sorry you are no insider and know nothing more than what somebody feeds you in an email. show me one post where I defended Cotton ( they are archived) in fact show me one post where I defended Pelini in his last few years. I like Riley - have always liked Riley but I feel he has a couple of potential weak spots that is going to cost him dearly and one of those is Read. If as was pointed out he may be moving into an admin role then that is a very good thing - I would hate for this team to lose to Wi this weekend because a punt is blocked.

Reactions: little a
So if they pass the new rule to allow teams to add an additional coach, does anyone think other teams in the country will start adding a special teams coordinator to take that position and to relieve the Special Teams duties of the other assistant coaches like what Nebraska is doing?

Also telling that Banderas has been on special teams for 2 games.... and leads them in tackles for the season. Like it or not our depth is still scary thin. Hard to dominate special teams with limited talent.

“Make sure to figure in the footwork he puts in identifying the majority of recruits.”- 4.6.3

“As far as Read, he doesn't just coach special teams. He is one of the main talent evaluators on the staff.” - Kaz36

“That's because if I understand it correctly, he is a talent evaluator and helps decide who should get offers, not primarily an on the trail recruiter.” - Truehuskerfan

“He is the main talent evaluator within the program along with Devaney and he confirms most offers before they are sent out.” - Kaz36

“And it is apparent that you cannot compute things mentioned already as it pertains to the discussion of his encompassing value.” - 4.6.3. This quote seems to be referring to the previous 4 quotes above, from the thread, in regards to the relative value of the Read.

“Like it or not our depth is still scary thin. Hard to dominate special teams with limited talent.” -4.6.3. This quote seems to be indicating that it is not Read’s fault (as the special teams coordinator) that the special teams are not that special, but rather the player’s fault due to their poor talent. But if Read is the main “talent evaluator” and his special team’s lack talent, wouldn’t that place blame the on him as well?

Reactions: little a
“Make sure to figure in the footwork he puts in identifying the majority of recruits.”- 4.6.3

“As far as Read, he doesn't just coach special teams. He is one of the main talent evaluators on the staff.” - Kaz36

“That's because if I understand it correctly, he is a talent evaluator and helps decide who should get offers, not primarily an on the trail recruiter.” - Truehuskerfan

“He is the main talent evaluator within the program along with Devaney and he confirms most offers before they are sent out.” - Kaz36

“And it is apparent that you cannot compute things mentioned already as it pertains to the discussion of his encompassing value.” - 4.6.3. This quote seems to be referring to the previous 4 quotes above, from the thread, in regards to the relative value of the Read.

“Like it or not our depth is still scary thin. Hard to dominate special teams with limited talent.” -4.6.3. This quote seems to be indicating that it is not Read’s fault (as the special teams coordinator) that the special teams are not that special, but rather the player’s fault due to their poor talent. But if Read is the main “talent evaluator” and his special team’s lack talent, wouldn’t that place blame the on him as well?

Lol. Sure. Let's go with that in year 2.

But if Read is the main “talent evaluator” and his special team’s lack talent, wouldn’t that place blame the on him as well?

Not that I agree with the premise, but the question you ask is better for next year. You're basically saying one full recruiting cycle should fix all special teams, and that isn't fair to anyone; players or coaches.

Reactions: timnsun
I realize you are an angry person in general but sorry you are no insider and know nothing more than what somebody feeds you in an email. show me one post where I defended Cotton ( they are archived) in fact show me one post where I defended Pelini in his last few years. I like Riley - have always liked Riley but I feel he has a couple of potential weak spots that is going to cost him dearly and one of those is Read. If as was pointed out he may be moving into an admin role then that is a very good thing - I would hate for this team to lose to Wi this weekend because a punt is blocked.
You are not worth any sort of effort. Everyone knows you are lying. So keep waiting for that 1st loss.

Not that I agree with the premise, but the question you ask is better for next year. You're basically saying one full recruiting cycle should fix all special teams, and that isn't fair to anyone; players or coaches.
Shhhhh. He's on a roll.

Read isn't immune here and deserves his share of the blame. I'm not sold on him as a ST coach yet, but acknowledge there are other factors that figure into why our special teams aren't special yet. As far as your comment to the depth, we are basically 1 1/2 recruiting cycles into this staff trying to fix holes on this team. It doesn't happen overnight and hopefully they fix it so there can be no excuses going forward. Quality depth allows the coaches to put young talent on special teams.

Boom, Roasted

Below is one of many articles where Read is mentioned. One doesn't have to justify what's so obvious.

But while the Wolverines entered the party late, Riley had been there for a while. Along with NU special-teams coordinator Bruce Read, he'd been recruiting Snyder for a year. Snyder had committed to Oregon State, then followed the coach to Nebraska.

One can also pay attention to where the coaches go on visits then notice how offers are soon to follow. And if we already offered, one will notice how our recruiting efforts pick up following where coach Read was visiting. Just like in Oklahoma earlier this year.

Unless of course ones agenda doesn't get in the way. Sniff, cough, finger point at you, little a.

I never said he didn't recruit, just not very well according to ACREDITED recruits that he is ON and mentioned him by name. Also bad example of his unbelievable ability as talent evaluator and recruiter with 3 star TE Snyder. Kid is in second year in program at a position that is very thin after Carter's injury and to my knowledge hasn't sniffed the field.

Read isn't immune here and deserves his share of the blame. I'm not sold on him as a ST coach yet, but acknowledge there are other factors that figure into why our special teams aren't special yet. As far as your comment to the depth, we are basically 1 1/2 recruiting cycles into this staff trying to fix holes on this team. It doesn't happen overnight and hopefully they fix it so there can be no excuses going forward. Quality depth allows the coaches to put young talent on special teams.
I agree, it will take time to bring in the kind of players that fit their systems. I just don't think it is fair to criticize players, but the coaches are immune, which is where I felt this thread was headed. Oregon State is 2-5 this year, are they placing their blame on a depleted roster left behind by their previous staff?

I never said he didn't recruit, just not very well according to ACREDITED recruits that he is ON and mentioned him by name. Also bad example of his unbelievable ability as talent evaluator and recruiter with 3 star TE Snyder. Kid is in second year in program at a position that is very thin after Carter's injury and to my knowledge hasn't sniffed the field.

Suffered an injury in fall camp, but don't let that fact get in the way of your agenda. There's plenty more articles, and examples.

My gosh, a redshirt freshmen hasn't passed up two seniors (Cotton/Foster) who have been playing since their sophomore years. Fire Tavita Thompson for not developing Matt, fire him NOW!

Suffered an injury in fall camp, but don't let that fact get in the way of your agenda. There's plenty more articles, and examples.

My gosh, a redshirt freshmen hasn't passed up two seniors (Cotton/Foster) who have been playing since their sophomore years. Fire Tavita Thompson for not developing Matt, fire him NOW!

Yea- what was his injury? Surgical?

ADVERTISEMENT