ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking of Running Backs

HuskerGuy33

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2005
Toronto
Nebraska has had their fair share of success at the position as well as their fair share of disappointment. Many of us have followed recruiting for a long time. Which 5 running backs did you have the highest of hopes for that did not live up to expectations whether it be injury or never quite fitting in. There's so many I could name, but the five that I thought had the highest potential that were busts for Nebraska include the following:

1. Tyreese Knox - He had some really good games at Nebraska which highlighted his talents, but he was never the featured back. When he came to Nebraska he was highly touted. Unfortunately, he passed away this last September. This is a nice article highlighting his storied career.

2. Terry Rodgers - Here was a recruit that was the son of Nebraska's famed Heisman trophy winner. I believe it came down to Nebraska and USC, ultimately Terry picked his dad's alma matter. He even wore his dad's jersey. Just like his father had knee injuries late in his career, Terry had the injuries happen before his career could get off the ground.

3. Leodis Flowers - Leodis was a kid from Omaha that was heavily recruited by Barry Switzer from Oklahoma as well. Nebraska ended up winning his commitment and he came in what many were calling the "New Triplets" - Mickey Joseph QB, Nate Turner WR, Leodis Flowers RB. I believe Leodis eventually gave up football completely. Not really sure what happened with him, but I remember him being heavily hyped.

4. DeAngelo Evans - If I'm not mistaken, he wiped out Barry Sanders stats off of the Kansas HS record books and even produced some huge freshman games where everyone thought this kid will be a Heisman winner. I know he had the pelvic injury using a new weighlifting machine, and was never the same thereafter. Of course, he would leave the team and that was it. He started his career with a bang, and fizzled at the end of his career is what I recall with him.

5. Aaron Green - I'm sure many of us were on RSS, hitting refresh every second to learn where he was announcing. I recall it really being a big day when he committed. That was the most hype I recall on RSS....but nothing really happened with him when he came to Nebraska and he would eventually transfer out. That's all I really recall about his Nebraska career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News