ADVERTISEMENT

South stadium removal starting 12/01/23??

3fingershomer

Walk On
Feb 8, 2022
Reading that they have a master plan and are ready to move forward. Expect changes if you are a season ticket holder and haven’t been required to also pay a ‘major donation’ to keep your seats that have been in the family for years.
Not a engineer or construction guy, can they demolish and rebuild south stadium in 15 months to be ready for spring game 2025? My dates, not Trev’s.

Reading that they have a master plan and are ready to move forward. Expect changes if you are a season ticket holder and haven’t been required to also pay a ‘major donation’ to keep your seats that have been in the family for years.
Not a engineer or construction guy, can they demolish and rebuild south stadium in 15 months to be ready for spring game 2025? My dates, not Trev’s.
On the construction side, that is going to be a stretch. I don't see it. Probably more of a gut than a demolish.

Why wait! LOL! Start it now while everything is toast and in turmoil for the season and let's get on with it!

and yes I'm only being funny... not serious

make the south 2 teir, student at the bottom so the sound echos onto the feild..like a horseshoe
leg room, back rests, cup holders...

or red aluminum benches

think humans not sardines

make the south 2 teir, student at the bottom so the sound echos onto the feild..like a horseshoe
leg room, back rests, cup holders...

or red aluminum benches

think humans not sardines
Maybe. We do need to move the students back down to the field. Dumbest decision. They should be down by the field on East Stadium.

Reactions: redwine65
Isn't there a building under south stadium? What are they going to do with that?

Isn't there a building under south stadium? What are they going to do with that?
1/3rd will be for usc/ucla type cheerleader development to meet the female quota stuff..and 1/3rd nil/transfer offices and 1/3rd trophy rooms for all sports...so it's on the south side..away from the players in the new north east complex...

That building has been around since the 70’s, met Bob Devaney for the first time there. I suspect it will be demolished for whatever they choose to build in that footprint.

Reactions: Swiv3D
The plan may have changed, but the goal was to renovate South Stadium just like the north. Get rid of the stupid, ridiculous narrow ramps, build wide concourses with actual restrooms, not troughs. Wider gates, wider doorways, better concessions, more amenities, and generally much better fan experience. When you have to enter the stadium 45 minutes early just to get to your seats for the national anthem, that's a problem. God forbid they ever have some sort of emergency, because 85,000 people would never be able to get out of that place in a hurry.

So don't expand the stadium because you're worried about a tired streak?
No. Don’t expand it when renovations and improvements should have been done elsewhere first. There were already signs that the demand for tickets was going down a bit. Why then add seats when there wasn’t really a groundswell of folks clamoring to get in? Should have used the money to rip out every old wooden bench seat in the stadium and replace them with real individual seats with backs, cup holders, etc… Better to completely wreckovate south stadium. Better to add bathrooms…

No. Don’t expand it when renovations and improvements should have been done elsewhere first. There were already signs that the demand for tickets was going down a bit. Why then add seats when there wasn’t really a groundswell of folks clamoring to get in? Should have used the money to rip out every old wooden bench seat in the stadium and replace them with real individual seats with backs, cup holders, etc… Better to completely wreckovate south stadium. Better to add bathrooms…
Ok, i understand your approach now. I probably agree with you. I do like the thought of more seats on the sidelines but poorly timed.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Part of the problem with the east and west stadiums is that even IF you replace the benches with seat backs, there isn't enough leg room. Those tiers of bleachers were built for a population that was about 3 inches shorter on average than our population is today. Even if you add chair backs the majority of people will have their knees jammed in to the back of the chair in front of them. They should have built a whole new stadium back in the 90s. Look at all of the things they've built over the past 30 years. A new stadium could have been built where the practice facility is.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The plan may have changed, but the goal was to renovate South Stadium just like the north. Get rid of the stupid, ridiculous narrow ramps, build wide concourses with actual restrooms, not troughs. Wider gates, wider doorways, better concessions, more amenities, and generally much better fan experience. When you have to enter the stadium 45 minutes early just to get to your seats for the national anthem, that's a problem. God forbid they ever have some sort of emergency, because 85,000 people would never be able to get out of that place in a hurry.
Getting to a South Stadium seat using the ramps was always a nightmare. I sat there for a few years and used to go in an East or West Stadium gate, then just work my way up from the field level. Lots of walking, but it usually saved me about 45 minutes.

You do realize that a few thousand more measly seats wasn't the main reason for that building addition right? That building provides way more to the university and team than any dumbass sellout streak does

Part of the problem with the east and west stadiums is that even IF you replace the benches with seat backs, there isn't enough leg room. Those tiers of bleachers were built for a population that was about 3 inches shorter on average than our population is today. Even if you add chair backs the majority of people will have their knees jammed in to the back of the chair in front of them. They should have built a whole new stadium back in the 90s. Look at all of the things they've built over the past 30 years. A new stadium could have been built where the practice facility is.
Man that used to be the weekly Sunday morning day after another foe getting sent home in a body bag conversation. Building a new stadium and where. Lincoln chamber of commerce would have none of that

I thought they were going to whack the south seating. I took that to mean the tiers as well and build new ones. NU treats fans like airlines treat passengers. We need something better.

Remove about 50 rows from south stadium. Put up 2 giant screens that wrap around to east and west stadium

We don't need to eliminate the troughs. We need to put tv's above them so we can watch decent football during our breaks from the three ring circus we bought tickets to.

Think about the weight that many seats would have. Would the current foundation support it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT