ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Moos

Moos statements have changed the dynamic, like it not. His detail answer and knowledge of Scott indicates that he has checked him out.

I'll bet he can't answer that question about just any Coach you ask him about.

Bookie read a lot into this answer and it made his decision easy, Riley is gone and the future of NU football is unclear.

Regardless of the statements made yesterday, with the losses piling up recruits are going to think twice about commitments , both previously made and not yet made to NU.

Moos statements have changed the dynamic, like it not. His detail answer and knowledge of Scott indicates that he has checked him out.

Bookie read a lot into this answer and it made his decision easy, Riley is gone and the future of NU football is unclear.

Regardless of the statements made yesterday, with the losses piling up recruits are going to think twice about commitments , both previously made and not yet made to NU.

While I agree that Moos has checked into Frost. I can't imagine that Bookie listened to an interview that took place on an Omaha radio station.

Reactions: Husker-NJ

We did just make the top 3 for the #1 ILB for 2019, so we have that going for us. Which is nice.

Let me get this out of the way. I like the Moos hire. I think he will do what needs to be done at Nebraska.

But for crying out loud, he is the AD at the university of Nebraska and one of their former players is a good young up and coming coach, reportedly on the short list of several other jobs. For him to NOT have a detailed knowledge of Frost before going on a local radio show, where 90% of the fans are screaming for Frost to be hired, knowing he will be interviewed by the biggest Frost fan in local radio, would have been a dereliction of his duties and showed a huge lack of preparedness.

Let me get this out of the way. I like the Moos hire. I think he will do what needs to be done at Nebraska.

But for crying out loud, he is the AD at the university of Nebraska and one of their former players is a good young up and coming coach, reportedly on the short list of several other jobs. For him to NOT have a detailed knowledge of Frost before going on a local radio show, where 90% of the fans are screaming for Frost to be hired, knowing he will be interviewed by the biggest Frost fan in local radio, would have been a dereliction of his duties and showed a huge lack of preparedness.

True but the guy also answered the "urgency" part of the question by sort of intimating he is "connected" or has "people for that" if needs to get things done. Sort of a "don't worry I covered down".

He's going to look like an uber douche if no move is made.

True but the guy also answered the "urgency" part of the question by sort of intimating he is "connected" or has "people for that" if needs to get things done.

He's going to look like an uber douche if no move is made.

Like I said I believe he will do what Nebraska needs to have done.

My posts on this subject concern the over reaction of the fan base for pointing out the elementary things he has done as some sort of innovative and original way of doing things.

The guy had a very good knowledge of Scott Frost. If you are the AD at Nebraska with a potential job opening, I would hope that would have been expected. I would have bashed him had he not had an in-depth knowledge of Frost.

He keeps a list of coaches in his drawer in case he needs to hire a coach quickly. Again, I would have been more concerned if he didn’t. If you have a great coach, people are going to come calling. You need to be prepared.

Like I said I believe he will do what Nebraska needs to have done.

My posts on this subject concern the over reaction of the fan base for pointing out the elementary things he has done as some sort of innovative and original way of doing things.

The guy had a very good knowledge of Scott Frost. If you are the AD at Nebraska with a potential job opening, I would hope that would have been expected. I would have bashed him had he not had an in-depth knowledge of Frost.

He keeps a list of coaches in his drawer in case he needs to hire a coach quickly. Again, I would have been more concerned if he didn’t. If you have a great coach, people are going to come calling. You need to be prepared.

Right but the manner in which he did it seemed to be aimed at comforting the fan base down. About the only thing they don't like about him now is his refusal to fire Riley now and get on with it. He sorta went on the radio to "papa bear" the fans that he wasn't just letting the world go idly by.

Having a list is one thing. Stopping short of explicitly saying "hey I can work the back channel as good as anyone" seems like another level entirely.

For all those clamoring about another season for HCMR, have you considered how much farther back that could set us? There is a HUGE chance we could anniliate 2 recruiting classes in a row and be sitting in this exact same place 12 months from now. Once you take on the lame duck label as a coach your pretty much done. Right or wrong, when they fired SE he acquired that title due to win/loss record, lack of development and progress in 2.5 years. He would probably need to win 9 games next year to avoid being in the hot seat again....anyone really think that’s possible? With such a small recruiting class this turn, if there ever was a perfect time to do it, the time is now.

Reactions: StrongArm517
Lol. You are on to me. My original post made it sound as if I am attacking Brohm and Campbell as bad coaches or inferior to Frost I guess. Not my intention. Just agreeing with your point that fans get all hyped up for the latest up and comer coach only to turn on him when he loses a few. Campbell looks like a good coach. As I did say above, his resume is better than Frost's and Brohm' combined. And I never said Campbell has it easy. Don't exaggerate my point just to make it look stupid so you can lampoon it.
Some of our fans like Campbell. No issue there. But how quickly will they sour on him if he loses a couple down the stretch here? If he starts to lose he will fade as just the latest fad.
All that said, yes, I like Frost's connection to Nebraska. It does give me the fuzzies as you put it. I like that. I may borrow it.
But my biggest reason for wanting Frost here is that I think our fractured and bruised and long suffering fan base would really rally around this hire. Popular opinion can often be wrong, and the cheering mob can quickly turn into a churlish rabble if things don't go right. But I sense something very hopeful in how our fans feel about Frost coming here. I think it would give our fan base a shot of adrenaline. Some mojo. Something positive. I think Frost can provide that.
I think you’re right about the fan base uniting with Frost at the helm. I can certainly say that I’m close to jumping ship on this program. The pattern of hiring an outsider coach to come here and collect a huge paycheck while deliver a shit product has got to stop. At least with Frost you have a guy that truly loves the program. I think that he could install an offense that could be very high scoring and exciting. He would combine a Big 20 power running game with his offense that he runs now. It would be hard to stop!!!

I think you’re right about the fan base uniting with Frost at the helm. I can certainly say that I’m close to jumping ship on this program. The pattern of hiring an outsider coach to come here and collect a huge paycheck while deliver a shit product has got to stop. At least with Frost you have a guy that truly loves the program. I think that he could install an offense that could be very high scoring and exciting. He would combine a Big 20 power running game with his offense that he runs now. It would be hard to stop!!!
Big 10

I think Moos has really opened his mouth up way too much. To me, he just sabotaged himself, and I am probably reading too much into this, but I think it was a poor move to have that interview and further poor to have a discussion about some other head coach. I would have thought Bill would have had more professionalism on this. In my opinion, he did more harm than good, which tells me that maybe this guy doesn't really understand things here, or worse, he doesn't understand the politics involved.

Reactions: coachDubs
But Frost is a better candidate because he plays a shit schedule and has access to some of the premiere talent in the country a stone' throw from his stadium, and Campbell has it easy in the middle of Iowa against power 5 opponents ... uh huh.
Jeez people, just admit you want Scott because he played here under TO, and it gives you the fuzzies. For shits sake I don' even care if that's the reason. No need to try and run down coaches that are probably more impressive.
As long as you admit Osborne is the problem with Husker football today. Let us know how you really feel.

I think Moos has really opened his mouth up way too much. To me, he just sabotaged himself, and I am probably reading too much into this, but I think it was a poor move to have that interview and further poor to have a discussion about some other head coach. I would have thought Bill would have had more professionalism on this. In my opinion, he did more harm than good, which tells me that maybe this guy doesn't really understand things here, or worse, he doesn't understand the politics involved.

Moos didn't really harm anything so long as he goes after Frost in a few weeks.

If he does anything other than that, he's a dumbass that doesn't understand what he just did.

Until proven otherwise, I'll assume he understands what he just did.

Unless he already knows that Frost would come here if offered. Yes, it was a bad move if he has no idea right now if Frost would come here. He would just be flaming up the excitement for Frost only to get ridiculed later if it doesn't happen. So Moos was either doing something careless in the interview or he knows something we don't. And I have no idea what the answer to that is.

He had a similar discussion about Justin Wilcox earlier this week.

Yes he did. Which adds a third option to my post above: that we are over thinking this and reading too much into his words.
The problem is that people hear what they want to hear. Right now a fair percentage of the fan base is only hearing SCOTT FROST. So in that regard he probably should have tempered his comments regardless of what he knows. I cringed at how his words would be taken when he made his comments. Even at Oregon let alone WSU, I doubt they hung on the words of administrators like we do at Nebraska.

The problem is that people hear what they want to hear. Right now a fair percentage of the fan base is only hearing SCOTT FROST. So in that regard he probably should have tempered his comments regardless of what he knows. I cringed at how his words would be taken when he made his comments. Even at Oregon let alone WSU, I doubt they hung on the words of administrators like we do at Nebraska.

In all seriousness, how was he going to answer that question, as asked, and not either come off like he did or come off like a boob?

He can’t sidestep and give a no comment because He has to show that he has his finger on the pulse, if he says he doesn’t know anything about Scott Frost he is just an idiot, or he can answer it like he did. As I wrote earlier, it was a good, leading question, asked by a radio host that happens to be a big fanboy of Frost.

In all seriousness, how was he going to answer that question, as asked, and not either come off like he did or come off like a boob?

Valid point but a seasoned AD should be better prepared unless it was intentional.

I'm very aware of Scott Frost, and he's done a fantastic job leading UCF to a top 20 ranking in his second year. As I spent many years in the Pacific Northwest, more specifically in the PAC, Scott Frost is someone I'm very familiar with.

So either Moos was intentional with his response or he's not as smart as people are saying. I lean towards intentional, what are your thoughts?

Valid point but a seasoned AD should be better prepared unless it was intentional.

I'm very aware of Scott Frost, and he's done a fantastic job leading UCF to a top 20 ranking in his second year. As I spent many years in the Pacific Northwest, more specifically in the PAC, Scott Frost is someone I'm very familiar with.

So either Moos was intentional with his response or he's not as smart as people are saying. I lean towards intentional, what are your thoughts?
deserves a poll or at least it's own thread right???? "what did Moos really mean?"

deserves a poll or at least it's own thread right???? "what did Moos really mean?"

Ha, there'll be plenty of threads over the next 4 weeks. Insert Bart Scott gif here.

I think it can be discussed in here, I'm really curious what people think. Intentional, honest answer, didn't think before answering, insert other reason, etc?

I really think he was just trying to show off his knowledge. "Look how much I know about all these candidates", "I know everyone in the business, I can move fast if need be", " I know what it takes to win", etc, etc. * All paraphrasing, obviously

Hey, It may make no difference at all, but I have written Moos with my thoughts on who I think he should hire. I thought about it. In the past most of us Huskers just waited for a Pederson or an Eichorst to make his selection. Why don't we Husker fans let Moos know exactly how we feel. Like I just wrote it may make no difference at all, but it is better than doing nothing. Maybe we should write Frost as well.

I really think he was just trying to show off his knowledge. "Look how much I know about all these candidates", "I know everyone in the business, I can move fast if need be", " I know what it takes to win", etc, etc. * All paraphrasing, obviously

He should have just said, "Who???" and feigned no knowledge of Scott Frost. Many heads would have simultaneously exploded.

For all those clamoring about another season for HCMR, have you considered how much farther back that could set us? There is a HUGE chance we could anniliate 2 recruiting classes in a row and be sitting in this exact same place 12 months from now. Once you take on the lame duck label as a coach your pretty much done. Right or wrong, when they fired SE he acquired that title due to win/loss record, lack of development and progress in 2.5 years. He would probably need to win 9 games next year to avoid being in the hot seat again....anyone really think that’s possible? With such a small recruiting class this turn, if there ever was a perfect time to do it, the time is now.

At this point, is anyone really clamoring for Mike Riley to be head coach next year? I think most people that have sat in front of a TV in the last 2 months realize this ship has taken on too much water. At this point it's more so who they want to replace Riley, not if Riley will be retained.

Ha, there'll be plenty of threads over the next 4 weeks. Insert Bart Scott gif here.

I think it can be discussed in here, I'm really curious what people think. Intentional, honest answer, didn't think before answering, insert other reason, etc?

Intentional but not to the extent that you believe in my opinion. One of Moos' strengths appears to be his gift for honest expression. I side with Tuco in that the question was a trap question from Bahe.
I believe that he quite possibly feels the same way about Wilcox as well. He's probably more familiar with him.
I feel that Bill is still taking notes but has honest assessments like the Wilcox and Frost assessments canned and ready to go just like his potential coach list it's at the ready. I didn't read into it any more than that; he's still processing exactly what Nebraska needs. We all "think" we know but I think he hasn't fully made his mind up yet on a coach.

I believe if he handled it like you said then he looks like he isn’t serious about Frost as a candidate. To me that is akin to sidestepping the question. Too many people want Scott Frost to be the next coach. They want him to know who Scott Frost is and that he knows how to get him here. Moos plays the political game well and knows he had to let people know he was serious about Frost, if he makes a move. So I guess intentional more than boob.

Reactions: Camcon2016

From re-reading the Sipple article, his comments re the present staff contain no assurance they'll be retained short of winning out. I would imagine he is soliciting the opinion of a variety of people concerning the present staff.
As for Frost, the remarks he gave are pretty much in line with what the ADs at other schools in the coaching carousel pool are thinking about Frost. Anytime Moos is publicly asked about Frost, he's in damned if you do, damned if you don't territory. Sure, he could have made it more vanilla. He could have also said, Scott is on my cheat sheet list of possible HCs (pretty sure that latter is the case). Moos could have been more circumspect re his Frost comments, but apparently chose not to be. He may the type of guy that diplomatically says what's on his mind.

No matter how we analyze this one thing is for certain: Moos is in a very tight spot and a delicate situation. He knows people will jump on his every word. And he knows his job now is to deal with this head coaching situation with professionalism. He knew that when he took the job. I am sure it was a huge part of the interviewing process. So he knows what he is up against.

There is a reason they are paying him a million a year. They think they got a guy who can really handle this. I don't know why, but I have great confidence he knows exactly what he is doing. That is why I don't have my panties in a bunch worrying about Frost and Florida. If he comes here great. If he doesn't he doesn't. But I think Moos is going to land us a solid coach.

No matter how we analyze this one thing is for certain: Moos is in a very tight spot and a delicate situation. He knows people will jump on his every word. And he knows his job now is to deal with this head coaching situation with professionalism. He knew that when he took the job. I am sure it was a huge part of the interviewing process. So he knows what he is up against.

There is a reason they are paying him a million a year. They think they got a guy who can really handle this. I don't know why, but I have great confidence he knows exactly what he is doing. That is why I don't have my panties in a bunch worrying about Frost and Florida. If he comes here great. If he doesn't he doesn't. But I think Moos is going to land us a solid coach.
I think he not only knows what he is doing but also what he is going to do. This sounds like he is setting the stage. Frost did not kill coaching rumors when he had a chance on his radio show today either per Florida 247. Just said there will be time for those discussions but right now he is focused on his team. I want to think he knows what he is going to do also.

I think he not only knows what he is doing but also what he is going to do. This sounds like he is setting the stage. Frost did not kill coaching rumors when he had a chance on his radio show today either per Florida 247. Just said there will be time for those discussions but right now he is focused on his team. I want to think he knows what he is going to do also.
I obviously don't have a clue about how this stuff works. But my guess would be that there are all kinds of back channel stuff going on. So yeah... I would wager Frost has a very good idea already where he is going.

Reactions: Camcon2016
I obviously don't have a clue about how this stuff works. But my guess would be that there are all kinds of back channel stuff going on. So yeah... I would wager Frost has a very good idea already where he is going.
I am a cautiously optimistic person, hope for the best but be prepared for the worst, im not getting my hopes up only to be crushed, that is even if we get frost not getting my hopes up that he is the answer, but also not getting my hopes up that the coach will be a name i know/want

Moos also gave an interview that he was surprised Omaha was only 45 minutes from Lincoln on local radio this week..... so his Frost knowledge is pretty in depth since he knows next to nothing about the state and program.

Reactions: FrostTroll
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT