ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry Harvey

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
Complete games are for Cueto. GO ROYALS!

4345823-trix-rabbit_zps9fidiq27.jpg

Harvey was a punk for whining and his manager was spineless for putting him back it. They got what they got. Go Royals!!!

Great series. Mets fans, you had a great year. As a Rangers fan I felt your pain not too long ago. Remember, KC used the WS defeat to fuel their drive this year.

Great series. Mets fans, you had a great year. As a Rangers fan I felt your pain not too long ago. Remember, KC used the WS defeat to fuel their drive this year.

The Mets have a bright future depending on how they respond to this.

Harvey was a punk for whining and his manager was spineless for putting him back it. They got what they got. Go Royals!!!

Yep. I said the same thing. I know he is a competitor and of course wants to finish it, but it makes more sense to put your closer in with nobody on base. It was kind of selfish IMO and I love that it backfired on him.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
No one has mentioned the constant sloppy defense of the Mets. It looked like a little league team out there.

Gotta agree on Harvey, kaz. It made me laugh that he kept saying that he "wanted the ball in his hand." Well Matt, better luck next year. RollingLaugh

No one has mentioned the constant sloppy defense of the Mets. It looked like a little league team out there.

Gotta agree on Harvey, kaz. It made me laugh that he kept saying that he "wanted the ball in his hand." Well Matt, better luck next year. RollingLaugh

There is a very fine line between winning and losing in baseball sometimes. if Collins pulls him and they lose, then he's always second guessing his decision. It didn't work for them tonight, that's it. Before that the guy was lights out. I love the Royals---what an amazing story. Refreshing to see this in this day and age. They were supposed to win this one. Can you imagine that flight back to KC? What a party, lol. Be good winners and congratulate the Mets on a great year.

Collins was in a no win situation. Harvey was pitching well enough to earn the right to try and finish and the Royals has Familia's number to. I had zero problem with Matt talking his way back out on the mound, that in itself didn't lose the game. That throw from first to home in the last inning was the bigger issue. Only scoring 1 run with bases loaded and no outs was a bigger issue. Royals forced you to be perfect with all the pressure they applied and I believe it was the Royals fate to win last night and because of their track record this post season, I don't think it would have mattered who started the 9th inning, it was just the Royals time.

Yep. I said the same thing. I know he is a competitor and of course wants to finish it, but it makes more sense to put your closer in with nobody on base. It was kind of selfish IMO and I love that it backfired on him.

The same closer that had been roughed up by the Royals? That is a lose-lose situation for Terry Collins when you get the result you did. If Harvey finished the job they would be lauding him and Collins today. It was a tough call, but Harvey had it rolling last night and was only at 102 pitches. Congrats to KC. They won the game and made things happen when it mattered the most.

The same closer that had been roughed up by the Royals? That is a lose-lose situation for Terry Collins when you get the result you did. If Harvey finished the job they would be lauding him and Collins today. It was a tough call, but Harvey had it rolling last night and was only at 102 pitches. Congrats to KC. They won the game and made things happen when it mattered the most.

Other than the Gordon home run, all of the damage to Familia was when he was brought in with runners on. I said it at the time Harvey ran out of the dugout. Of course everyone can second guess, but that is what he is there for. To close out games. I will always believe that if they brought Familia in right away, this series goes to game 6.

Game 6 or no game 6, I don't think the Mets were going to win 2 straight at Kauffman, it just would have prolonged the agony. Series was over when Royals went up 3-1. I would have liked to see them win in K.C. though, fans deserved to see it in person.

Other than the Gordon home run, all of the damage to Familia was when he was brought in with runners on. I said it at the time Harvey ran out of the dugout. Of course everyone can second guess, but that is what he is there for. To close out games. I will always believe that if they brought Familia in right away, this series goes to game 6.
Exactly. Besides the Gordon HR, the key runs scored off Familia came on weak ground balls. He can't make the pitch and field the ball too.

Collins was in a no win situation. Harvey was pitching well enough to earn the right to try and finish and the Royals has Familia's number to. I had zero problem with Matt talking his way back out on the mound, that in itself didn't lose the game. That throw from first to home in the last inning was the bigger issue. Only scoring 1 run with bases loaded and no outs was a bigger issue. Royals forced you to be perfect with all the pressure they applied and I believe it was the Royals fate to win last night and because of their track record this post season, I don't think it would have mattered who started the 9th inning, it was just the Royals time.
I gotta disagree. I think regardless of whether Collins decided to pull him or trot him back out, he has to stick with his decision. If that altercation in the dugout doesn't change Collins' mind, they win. Conversely, if he picks Harvey from the start they win as well.

What they allowed to happen got their best pitcher out of his zone and brought adrenaline and emotion into it.

I gotta disagree. I think regardless of whether Collins decided to pull him or trot him back out, he has to stick with his decision. If that altercation in the dugout doesn't change Collins' mind, they win. Conversely, if he picks Harvey from the start they win as well.

What they allowed to happen got their best pitcher out of his zone and brought adrenaline and emotion into it.

I know what I'm about to type is a billions times different that what Collins was facing, but I have been in the exact same situation. 7 inning game, we had a 4 run lead going into the bottom of the 7th, we just need three outs for the win and to advance in the tournament. I had pitched the same kid for the first 6 innings and wanted to make a change but he told me he felt good and could go one more. I left him in, in lieu of putting my own son in. It was a hard decision but at the time but you believe what your pitcher is telling you and you want them to finish what they started and both pitchers had been fantastic. We lost our game, and it has haunted me ever since. "Why didn't I make the change?" So anyway, I have been there and done the same thing, you won't catch me criticizing it one bit.

Bottom line, Collins should not have sent Harvey back out there. You never allow the pitcher to dictate your strategy. That's why they pay you the big bucks. Collins whiffed on his biggest decision of the night.

At one point or another in every manager or coach's career, they have been swayed by a player(s) pleading their case and it paid off. We just focus on the failure's and forget the times it worked.

At one point or another in every manager or coach's career, they have been swayed by a player(s) pleading their case and it paid off. We just focus on the failure's and forget the times it worked.
I understand your point, I just think it's a mistake in such a pressure situation. In a mid-week game in July, sure, let him finish. For a young pitcher in the biggest game of his career to date (not to mention the Mets' biggest game in over a decade) it was a mistake to change his mind, especially after watching Harvey let his emotions take control.

Bad defense was their greatest undoing. Honestly, I've never seen a major league team boot the ball around more in my lifetime. That throw to home was comical how bad it was. Hosmer was toast with an even remotely average throw. And it's not as if all the errors in the World Series were difficult plays. Other than starting pitching (and even that is up for debate) the Royals were far and away the better team.

I know what I'm about to type is a billions times different that what Collins was facing, but I have been in the exact same situation. 7 inning game, we had a 4 run lead going into the bottom of the 7th, we just need three outs for the win and to advance in the tournament. I had pitched the same kid for the first 6 innings and wanted to make a change but he told me he felt good and could go one more. I left him in, in lieu of putting my own son in. It was a hard decision but at the time but you believe what your pitcher is telling you and you want them to finish what they started and both pitchers had been fantastic. We lost our game, and it has haunted me ever since. "Why didn't I make the change?" So anyway, I have been there and done the same thing, you won't catch me criticizing it one bit.

So you're saying Cooperstown isn't in the cards?

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT