ADVERTISEMENT

I’ve never like Sean Payton…

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
… first, he looks like Lee Harvey Oswald, but he can’t help that, I guess… but he hired a coach who targeted players, he stupidly belittled a coach who had done nothing to him, and now he makes Wilson out to be his scapegoat. I can only hope. He falls more flat on his face… just my opinion, though

… first, he looks like Lee Harvey Oswald, but he can’t help that, I guess… but he hired a coach who targeted players, he stupidly belittled a coach who had done nothing to him, and now he makes Wilson out to be his scapegoat. I can only hope. He falls more flat on his face… just my opinion, though
Good coach, but seems to be a d!ck a lot of the time.

… first, he looks like Lee Harvey Oswald, but he can’t help that, I guess…
7hjqswpxytz51.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not a Payton fan either, but I don’t blame him for parting ways with Wilson. Hard to build a team around an over-the-hill QB who’s way more interested in being a celebrity than in moving the chains on 3rd down.

Couldn’t agree more with you, spartan. He’s possibly the biggest dick you’ll find coaching. I watched a documentary one time on players who were mistreated in terms of injuries and Peyton was one of the coaches who did this. Now that he coaches the donkeys I can dislike him more. I can’t stand the guy.

Reactions: bigboxes
hopefully denver keeps Wilson for another decade of losing football

first, he looks like Lee Harvey Oswald, but he can’t help that, I guess… but he hired a coach who targeted players, he stupidly belittled a coach who had done nothing to him, and now he makes Wilson out to be his scapegoat. I can only hope. He falls more flat on his face… just my opinion, though
“looks like Lee Harvey Oswald.”
200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: MargotDeeper
I’m not a Payton fan either, but I don’t blame him for parting ways with Wilson. Hard to build a team around an over-the-hill QB who’s way more interested in being a celebrity than in moving the chains on 3rd down.
Man, what a horrible trade Denver made. They gave up two first rounders, two second rounders, a couple veterans. And then they sign Wilson to a five year, $245 million contract. I thought it was ridiculous back then, but I had no idea it would turn out this bad. I just looked it up-- $37 million guaranteed if he stays on the roster until mid March. They could cut him, but the cap hit would be insane-- $85 million next year or spread it across the next two years depending on when they cut him.

Can you imagine using 1/3 of the salary cap in 2024 on a player who is no longer on the team? And you are missing four high draft picks off the roster just for the privilege?

Man, what a horrible trade Denver made. They gave up two first rounders, two second rounders, a couple veterans. And then they sign Wilson to a five year, $245 million contract. I thought it was ridiculous back then, but I had no idea it would turn out this bad. I just looked it up-- $37 million guaranteed if he stays on the roster until mid March. They could cut him, but the cap hit would be insane-- $85 million next year or spread it across the next two years depending on when they cut him.

Can you imagine using 1/3 of the salary cap in 2024 on a player who is no longer on the team? And you are missing four high draft picks off the roster just for the privilege?
I totally agree … horrible trade….but Payton has belittled his qb on several occasions… he should not have taken the job

I totally agree … horrible trade….but Payton has belittled his qb on several occasions… he should not have taken the job
Payton is a huge ego guy and a genuine asshole. He took the job as a money grab. He knew exactly what he was signing up for. If he doesn't succeed in Denver, he'll blame it all on the Wilson trade and go on to living out the rest of his years as a rich asshole. Probably go into politics. He'd be a good fit in that field.

Payton is only a name because of Drew Brees. It was Brees intellect that floated the ship and as soon as he was diminishing you could see the luster come off the brilliance of Sean Payton. Add to that the fact that he’s ethically challenged and you get this mess in Denver that is entirely a cash grab.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Payton is only a name because of Drew Brees. It was Brees intellect that floated the ship and as soon as he was diminishing you could see the luster come off the brilliance of Sean Payton. Add to that the fact that he’s ethically challenged and you get this mess in Denver that is entirely a cash grab.
Drew Brees is only a name because of Mike Riley.

Amazing part is that the GM still has a job, and doesn’t really even seem to be on the hot seat. Sean Payton is an asshole, but GM George Paton is the incompetent fool who created this mess - and all because he was determined to have a celebrity QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean Pope
Maybe and the same argument can be made for Brady and Belicheat. Check BB’s won-loss record without Tom. (Hint: It ain’t pretty.😀) To be fair, I suspect there are almost zero all-time great coaches who didn’t have great quarterbacks.

Amazing part is that the GM still has a job, and does really even seem to be on the hot seat. Sean Payton is an asshole, but GM George Paton is the incompetent fool who created this mess - and all because he was determined to have a celebrity QB.
I think his seat is plenty hot and will be shocked if he is still with the team next season. He was hired when the Bowlen family still owned the Broncos. The Walton family's horse is hitched to Sean Payton. George Paton's fate will be determined by what Sean Payton wants from the GM role.

I think his seat is plenty hot and will be shocked if he is still with the team next season. He was hired when the Bowlen family still owned the Broncos. The Walton family's horse is hitched to Sean Payton. George Paton's fate will be determined by what Sean Payton wants from the GM role.

I get to Denver frequently and listen to Stink's radio show when I cam...and he seems to make it pretty clear Payton holds all the cards...and does not answer to Paton, and Paton knows it to...

I get to Denver frequently and listen to Stink's radio show when I cam...and he seems to make it pretty clear Payton holds all the cards...and does not answer to Paton, and Paton knows it to...
I agree with this - I just don’t know why Paton is still around. He’s really nothing to improve the team except cut a few guys who Sean Payton said had to go.

I agree with this - I just don’t know why Paton is still around. He’s really nothing to improve the team except cut a few guys who Sean Payton said had to go.
Its a mystery. In addition to the Wilson fiasco, lets not forget Paton also gave Randy Gregory $28 million in guaranteed money, and in exchange got 21 tackles with 3 sacks over 10 games played before they gave him to the 49ers.

Its a mystery. In addition to the Wilson fiasco, lets not forget Paton also gave Randy Gregory $28 million in guaranteed money, and in exchange got 21 tackles with 3 sacks over 10 games played before they gave him to the 49ers.
Paton has not exactly aced the draft, either. Trading up to get Riley Moss made no sense to me, except for the fact that Paton loves him some media darlings. While he was injured in the preseason, I don’t think Moss has played a single defensive snap all year - and that’s with a bunch of DB injuries and Kareem Jackson’s suspension opening up plenty of opportunities.

The GM Paton is dead man walking and everyone knows it. They are keeping him around only to use and abuse him, and will toss him aside whenever it suits them. Part of the reason he is still around is that the Penner group wants the traditional setup of: ownership -> GM -> HC, but they are new owners still coming up to speed. They didn’t get their true choice for HC, but would like to find it in a GM they can trust. The second they think they have identified his replacement, GM Paton will be gone.

HC Payton is interesting because the Penner group clearly settled for him as their 3rd or 4th choice, but he has more sway now than GM Paton.

And then you have Russ, the biggest reason that GM Paton is dead man walking. The Penner group and HC Payton are unified in disassociating from Russ trade/contract. That seems to be the only synergy within the organization at the moment. Maybe they take the full cap hit in 2024, suck immensely, and draft Shedeur.

Also interesting in this saga is that 2 days after Broncos broke their 17 game losing streak to the Chiefs, the Broncos asked him to voluntarily amend his contract so that a 37 million injury guarantee wouldn’t kick in until/unless he was on the team in 2024. If he agreed, which he did not, the Broncos could cut him after the season and not pay him that extra 37 million even if he was injured. Now that they are virtually eliminated, 1.3% playoff chances, they would rather him not get injured. That way they only have to pay him 39 million to not be their QB going forward instead of 39+37 million

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT