ADVERTISEMENT

Something to think about, all defensive coaches have

HuskerTimOmaha

Nebraska Legend
Apr 21, 2006
Omaha
been a coordinator except the pup Trent Bray. He played for Riley and his dad was a DC so that's not something to push aside, it has some weight.

Very interesting how Riley has built around his "Oregon State hires". Quite a bit of knowledge on one side of the ball.

Thoughts?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I don't think I've ever seen so many DC's on one staff before. Unheard of.

I think this will be great as long as they work well together. I don't think it will be an issue, but it will require Banker to listen to the other coaches' input and the other coaches to follow the leader. As they are all pros, I expect the best, but there is a chance for a too many cooks situation if the personality dynamics don't work out.

It will be interesting to see how the egos mesh. gbr

Pretty simple if you search enough. Sometimes, and I know this is hard to believe but sometimes, coaches are better off as assistants than they are as coordinators or head coaches.

Reactions: dockentwo
Might be way off base with this, but I wonder if Riley is trying to build a staff that will stay for a long time. Maybe by hiring all these ex-coordinators, he is assembling a group of coaches who don't necessarily aspire to being coordinators or head coaches but are content being assistants. Last NU coach that had a staff like that did pretty well, if I recall.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
The above is assuming flores' thread turns out.
I don't have access to Clouse's pay article, but twitter was buzzing with Stewarts name. That's all I got to go off at this point. Unless I call up NSA... ;)

Originally posted by RedSea:
You might wonder why they didn't remain DCs.
You mean like Charlton Warren? He had been a DC. Whether or not they stay a DC is really irrelevant to their ability to coach a position but it IS extremely good experience to have in your pocket.

Originally posted by sparky62:
I don't think I've ever seen so many DC's on one staff before. Unheard of.
Its a little bit unreal that a guy who was DC of the Dallas Cowboys, could be our late addition DB coach. Riley has brought some real solid experience in here.

Case in point is Callahan. You would have to really search for a player or organization to find something negative on him relative to the line play.

People take the next step up all the time and find that they enjoyed the previous level much more. They gained incredible experience and understand the whole scheme but prefer the "coaching" aspect and are damn good at it.

Originally posted by planored:
People take the next step up all the time and find that they enjoyed the previous level much more. They gained incredible experience and understand the whole scheme but prefer the "coaching" aspect and are damn good at it.
The demands and stress level of being a DB coach are a helluva lot less than being an NFL DC and being a position coach at NU is a darned nice gig if you can get it.

Originally posted by planored:
Yeah, just like James T. Kirk wasn't a very good Admiral so he went back to the rank of captain in charge of a starship and was happy after that. I'd do the same thing at my job if I could handle the pay cut.

I spent many yrs at c level and board member it was a f'n beating. My love is coaching and creating sales assassins which is where I am now, love it. It is about what you love to do!

Not according to the head DC coordinator. Very basci, pinch down and stop the run first. Limited coverages in secondary.

Originally posted by Antwill:
Might be way off base with this, but I wonder if Riley is trying to build a staff that will stay for a long time. Maybe by hiring all these ex-coordinators, he is assembling a group of coaches who don't necessarily aspire to being coordinators or head coaches but are content being assistants. Last NU coach that had a staff like that did pretty well, if I recall.
There was an article that just came out about him leaving Maryland that stated that he was looking for HC positions the last two months...

Prior knowledge and experience as a DC obviously is a good thing in itself. The key will be how well they can work together as a team. Hopefully they can agree when it comes time to work up the game plan and not each want to go in different directions or be resentful if their suggestions weren't the ones followed.

Originally posted by RedCap:
Prior knowledge and experience as a DC obviously is a good thing in itself. The key will be how well they can work together as a team. Hopefully they can agree when it comes time to work up the game plan and not each want to go in different directions or be resentful if their suggestions weren't the ones followed.
i am intrigued by their experience, but my only thought, although too early to be a concern - maybe too many chiefs. maybe its a non issue. riley seems like someone who could navigate those waters. we'll see.

Originally posted by TwinsRRUs:
There was an article that just came out about him leaving Maryland that stated that he was looking for HC positions the last two months...
If you want to be a head coach, working for Mike Riley at NU is not a bad resume builder. On top of that, being a position coach at NU can be >>>>> a head coach at some other porgrams. If we only have him for a year so be it. IMO, the turnover at DB coach has been over blown. IF the guy is there for spring ball the only thing it possible hurts is recruiting and that really hasn't seem to be that much of an issue for us recruiting DBs. Right now as of today what we need is a guy that come in right away on the fly and help us get our guys ready for this fall. THAT is what is important RIGHT NOW. IF he chooses to stay, great. IF he's only here for a year, go get somebody else. It appears to me that since Marvin had to leave that our DB coaches have gotten better each time we made a hire. JMO.

Originally posted by maggs:
You ever been a room with a bunch of football coaches? Egos flow like bs flows in DC.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
Originally posted by maggs:
You ever been a room with a bunch of football coaches? Egos flow like bs flows in DC.
What is most important in that regard is how Riley and Banker handle it. It appears obvious to me that Riley checks his at the door. Having a few guys not afraid to speak their mind while knowing what they are talking about might be a refreshing change for our defense.

Tim,

Ive seen alt of respect coming from all corners of the nation for this coaching group. What was the one thing you think got him to move from OSU? The man had is career set, money, job security, family roots, friends.
I am stoked for this hire, and look forward to some of the product this staff can put out in the years ahead.
Hells

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
It appears to me that since Marvin had to leave that our DB coaches have gotten better each time we made a hire. JMO.
??? I don't think our dbs have been all that great since Marvin left. They certainly were no where near as bad as our linebackers but I wouldn't say we have seen improvement each and every year.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
It appears to me that since Marvin had to leave that our DB coaches have gotten better each time we made a hire. JMO.
??? I don't think our dbs have been all that great since Marvin left. They certainly were no where near as bad as our linebackers but I wouldn't say we have seen improvement each and every year.
I said that our DB coaches have seemed to get better every year. There is a difference between coaches and the guys they coach. We had some significant problems with our defensive back recruiting. IMO, as far as coaching Marvin was the best we've had at NU maybe ever. There was a significant drop off in DB coaching IMO after he had to leave. IMO again I think every DB coach we hired since Marvin was better than the guy before him.

Reactions: dockentwo
You may be right that we just did not have the talent and that could be on the db coaches. I am not a big recruit-nik so you could be right on that front. I thought Warren did a fine job with pass defense positioning. However, our run support by the dbs was some of the worst I have seen since watching Husker football. Our corners had no idea how to set the edge. Our safeties consistently filled the wrong gaps. Our primary tackling skill looked to be, "strap your arms to your side and dive at their legs."

A lot of the rushing yards we gave up were on the dbs. There were tons of times when what should have been seven yard carries seemed to turn into thirty, forty, or seventy yard carries.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
You may be right that we just did not have the talent and that could be on the db coaches. I am not a big recruit-nik so you could be right on that front. I thought Warren did a fine job with pass defense positioning. However, our run support by the dbs was some of the worst I have seen since watching Husker football. Our corners had no idea how to set the edge. Our safeties consistently filled the wrong gaps. Our primary tackling skill looked to be, "strap your arms to your side and dive at their legs."

A lot of the rushing yards we gave up were on the dbs. There were tons of times when what should have been seven yard carries seemed to turn into thirty, forty, or seventy yard carries.
IMO, some of those issues in run support might be placed on Bo but I don't know for sure. I know there was some conflict between Bo and Warren on technique at times. IMO, Bo put our DBs in terrible positions at times by asking them to do things that they weren't consistently capable of doing. Some of Bo's defensive play calls against Wisconsin required our DBs to make one on one open field tackles against Gordon. That was ridiculous as pointed out on several occasions by guys that are much better at Xs and Os than I am. The video didn't lie.

Would love it if this were the case. Hopefully it turns out to be a strength and not a case of "too many chiefs."

Assuming they are all good position coaches, it definitely helps to understand the macro concepts you're trying to teach. Not just, "If this happens, do that," but WHY.

Originally posted by TruHusker:
Not according to the head DC coordinator. Very basci, pinch down and stop the run first. Limited coverages in secondary.
Cool, that means guys won't be running around and looking at the sidelines for direction when the ball is snapped.

Hiring a bunch of guys who have been coordinators is a very intriguing thing to me. If I had to guess, it is Mike Riley making sure that on defense there is a team effort in figuring out the best way to get the job done. Collaboration and gameplanning as a team was something that simply didn't occur here under Pelini. He poo-poo'd any idea that wasn't his. For lack of a better way of saying it, all of the guys on the previous defensive staff, aside from Warren were Pelini-inbreds. None of them had been exposed to elite defensive minds at other places, and they didn't have any experience from which to draw upon when times got tough and they needed to find schematic answers to on the field issues. I would be very willing to be that we will not have that problem under this defensive staff. Instead of playing a very rigid and broken scheme, I imagine that we will see in game adjustments, some that will work and some that one, but at least adjustments, rather than being robotic and so predictable that offensive coordinators can formation and scheme us into oblivion with our tendencies.

Another interesting fact, according to the CNN Money Cost Of Calculator, $350,000 in Lincoln is equivalent to nearly $500K in the College Park, MD area.

Amazing isn't it that we go from Pelini's rag-tag collection of throw-aways and yes-men to this group of coaches who have, collectively, several life times of big time coaching experience?

been a coordinator except the pup Trent Bray. He played for Riley and his dad was a DC so that's not something to push aside, it has some weight.

Very interesting how Riley has built around his "Oregon State hires". Quite a bit of knowledge on one side of the ball.

Thoughts?
Yup , hopefully it wont take 5 years and they can stop the jet sweep.

holla

Originally posted by kakdawg:

Thoughts?
Yup , hopefully it wont take 5 years and they can stop the jet sweep.

holla
As usual Kak you're a must read.
smile.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT