ADVERTISEMENT

So OU chooses to block QB transfer....

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
I’ll let someone else link the article...Lincoln Riley being quoted “It’s about something we stand for “ on reasons why OU is blocking former Sooner QB Morris from transferring to TCU.

Is he right?

GBR!

I’ll let someone else link the article...Lincoln Riley being quoted “It’s about something we stand for “ on reasons why OU is blocking former Sooner QB Morris from transferring to TCU.

Is he right?

GBR!
Incomplete. It’s something we stand for does not fully explain what he really stands for. It’s an excuse without explanation.

I read his tweet earlier, can't find it now and don't feel like looking that hard, to be honest. But it was more about intraconference transfers, with immediate eligibility that he had issue with. Said there needed to be some sort of penalty there.

Is he right?

GBR!

What a dirt bag. What a disgrace to hurt the young guy's career.

He's right, and it be intraconference is his main gripe, it's also very hypocritical seeing he would try make any incoming transfer regardless of conference immediately eligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
Nope, he is wrong. Just like if some other Big 12 school offered him a 250 million dollar coaching contract for 10 years, guess what, he would take it.

I liked the guy until now. You say you are there to help kids, no, you clearly are not. You are there to use kids. **** off.

The good news is, this won't stand, not in this day an age. If this kid goes the social media route not only will he get his transfer but he will get his apology and possibly you will see Riley doing all he can to save his job.

You can block transfers? I didn't think that was a thing any longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Pretty sure Baker Mayfield transferred to OU from Texas Tech....but I'm also pretty sure an OU fan will explain to us rubes how the two scenarios are wildly different....
The difference, according to Riley, is that Mayfield sat out a transfer year. That's his gripe - that this kid can play right away. Apparently he has no issue if he transfers to a different conference.

The difference, according to Riley, is that Mayfield sat out a transfer year. That's his gripe - that this kid can play right away. Apparently he has no issue if he transfers to a different conference.

Yeah I can somewhat understand that distinction....I guess I am always in favor of doing what is best for the player. If Riley decided to coach Texas tomorrow, he sure wouldn't have to sit out a year. Always easy to judge from the highest seat in the room....

Reactions: donahues17
I believe Tech didn't want to give Mayfield a scholarship as well, so the situations are different.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Yeah I can somewhat understand that distinction....I guess I am always in favor of doing what is best for the player. If Riley decided to coach Texas tomorrow, he sure wouldn't have to sit out a year. Always easy to judge from the highest seat in the room....
I totally agree with you.

Reactions: Chief Wiggum
Think about it, the argument is "Well, he knows the shit we run and if he goes to TCU and we play them, then they would have an advantage"

Sure, okay.

Here is my argument. Coach Riley, it is YOUR job to change your shit up.

This would be like a teacher telling a former student that they can't tell current students about the tests. Nope, it on the teacher to change the shit up.

Same conference should be different than to out of conference.

walking on to scholarship should different than scholarship to scholarship.

how many players has OU added from within the conference without sitting out a season of play? There is the hypocrisy of the situation if they have.

Think about it, the argument is "Well, he knows the shit we run and if he goes to TCU and we play them, then they would have an advantage"

Sure, okay.

Here is my argument. Coach Riley, it is YOUR job to change your shit up.

This would be like a teacher telling a former student that they can't tell current students about the tests. Nope, it on the teacher to change the shit up.

Its one thing to know and another to stop it. Everyone knows what everyone is running. Doing something about it is what’s different

Nope, he is wrong. Just like if some other Big 12 school offered him a 250 million dollar coaching contract for 10 years, guess what, he would take it.

I liked the guy until now. You say you are there to help kids, no, you clearly are not. You are there to use kids. **** off.

The good news is, this won't stand, not in this day an age. If this kid goes the social media route not only will he get his transfer but he will get his apology and possibly you will see Riley doing all he can to save his job.
Lol Riley's job is completely safe. At most, it could hurt recruiting a bit, but other than that, this is a non-issue.

Lol Riley's job is completely safe. At most, it could hurt recruiting a bit, but other than that, this is a non-issue.

Tell you what, if this QB was black and came out and said "I feel like Coach Riley OWNS me" Riley would be gone. We know that.

This QB could make a big stink about it if he wants and if he gets the right people behind him, there will be major pressure.

This was a non-issue 5 years ago. Now, now there could be legs depending on what the QB wants to do.

Tell you what, if this QB was black and came out and said "I feel like Coach Riley OWNS me" Riley would be gone. We know that.
So "IF" this kid was black and "IF" he made it about race and "IF" he had the right people behind him.... Riley would be gone? None of this is the case but that's where you want to steer the conversation? It's a standard situation where the coach doesn't want to get beat this season by the guy he benched in favor of someone else. There's enough political/racial arguments on this board, can we just let this one be about the power structure between ALL players and P5 coaches/programs? If not, I'll get out of the way so you can get back to grinding your axe.

So "IF" this kid was black and "IF" he made it about race and "IF" he had the right people behind him.... Riley would be gone? None of this is the case but that's where you want to steer the conversation? It's a standard situation where the coach doesn't want to get beat this season by the guy he benched in favor of someone else. There's enough political/racial arguments on this board, can we just let this one be about the power structure between ALL players and P5 coaches/programs? If not, I'll get out of the way so you can get back to grinding your axe.

(standing ovation clapping emoji here)

DO what you want, I don't care. This asshole is taking away a chance from a kid, a kid that he more than likely said he was going to help out and act as a father figure.

Don't be pissed because you are wrong, just accept the fact that Lincoln has ****ed up.

You don't think this kid should have a chance, I do.

I do think Riley should get heat for this, you don't. No big deal.

Would he block a transfer to another school on their schedule? that is the same thing here right? Kid should try to transfer here to test this question.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Do you just wake up lately wanting to argue about, everything? I do not get some of your posts recently.
I am not arguing, only one of us is right.

Riley is doing the wrong thing, everyone knows it and in the end this kid will get to play next year and Riley will look like a doosher.

We all know it. If Riley is worried about the kid telling TCU shit about OU...it is HIS job as coach to change up his stuff. Period.

Not the kids fault.

There is only one side to take.

DO what you want, I don't care. This asshole is taking away a chance from a kid, a kid that he more than likely said he was going to help out and act as a father figure.

Don't be pissed because you are wrong, just accept the fact that Lincoln has ****ed up.

You don't think this kid should have a chance, I do.

I do think Riley should get heat for this, you don't. No big deal.
I think Riley will get heat for this and I'm for letting the kid transfer. I think coaches have the right to choose who to play and they should have to deal with the consequences of their decisions. Kids will leave if they see nothing but the bench and coaches shouldn't get to limit where they go. I just don't get the "if the kid was black" angle. Other than that I think we basically agree.

I am not arguing, only one of us is right.

Riley is doing the wrong thing, everyone knows it and in the end this kid will get to play next year and Riley will look like a doosher.

We all know it. If Riley is worried about the kid telling TCU shit about OU...it is HIS job as coach to change up his stuff. Period.

Not the kids fault.

There is only one side to take.

This isn't a two plus two scenario where the only answer can be four.

If OU was willing to continue to honor their scholly offer and he decided to quit and leave the program anyway, then that is on him. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the school he's running away from to bend over backwards and make sure the quitter gets his every wish.

I think Riley will get heat for this and I'm for letting the kid transfer. I think coaches have the right to choose who to play and they should have to deal with the consequences of their decisions. Kids will leave if they see nothing but the bench and coaches shouldn't get to limit where they go. I just don't get the "if the kid was black" angle. Other than that I think we basically agree.

I agree what we agree!

The black part was just saying how this story would be HUGE if that was the case.

Reactions: mgbreis
This isn't a two plus two scenario where the only answer can be four.

If OU was willing to continue to honor their scholly offer and he decided to quit and leave the program anyway, then that is on him. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the school he's running away from to bend over backwards and make sure the quitter gets his every wish.

Ahhhh, now it makes sense. He is a quitter.

OU doesn't have to bend over backwards, in fact, they are bending over backwards right now by making this an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT