ADVERTISEMENT

So how does Nebraska look this coming season?

LeftyLarry

Nov 11, 2003
WIsconsin will have it's best offense in a long, long time with both a potent rushing game and our best passing game in many years, strong kicking too.
Defense will be interesting, DL and Linebackers should be strong, though less depth and experience but 3-4 new DB's, young guys second year players, obviously is a bit scary.
We trust in Jim Leonhard but, it would remain to be seen if we're as good as in years past on defense.
I would love to continue our dominance of the WEST division but seems like it may be getting a bit tougher over the next few seasons, with a better HC at nebraska, NW being solid, Iowa solid and Purdue better also..

Frost has a pretty big rebuild on his hands with a brutal schedule. 8 wins would be quite an achievement but 6 seems more realistic. Going to take some time to build this thing right.

Reactions: jeans15
Plus side is, we have probably the better talent in the West (per recruiting sites), match that with Frost and his staff...anything could happen. But like most Huskers will agree, this season could be up and/or down...then we add in the brutal schedule we have...6-8 wins is definitely in our sites. It all depends how fast Frost gets this offense rolling and how long it takes Chin to get our defense turning the corner.

WIsconsin will have it's best offense in a long, long time with both a potent rushing game and our best passing game in many years, strong kicking too.
Defense will be interesting, DL and Linebackers should be strong, though less depth and experience but 3-4 new DB's, young guys second year players, obviously is a bit scary.
We trust in Jim Leonhard but, it would remain to be seen if we're as good as in years past on defense.
I would love to continue our dominance of the WEST division but seems like it may be getting a bit tougher over the next few seasons, with a better HC at nebraska, NW being solid, Iowa solid and Purdue better also..

The way I see it, until we're rebuilt and humming along as a plug-and-play team (I think at the very earliest we will start seeing this in 2019, but maybe more like 2020 and 2021), Wisconsin still owns the West. And what's crazy is, the West in general IS getting stronger. Minnesota and Purdue have better coaches, so they'll probably be better teams. Iowa will probably always be Iowa as long as Ferentz is there. Northwestern is kind of the same way. The only stinky team I can think of is Illinois; I don't think Smith is going to last long enough there to do much of anything, if he's capable of doing anything there at all.

In short order though, I would say its fair to expect Nebraska to start challenging for the West title every year, and hopefully becoming the dominant team in the division, or at least being one of the two top ones regularly.

Wisconsin has a very good stable of receivers coming back which is a first for a program that's known for it's running game. Wisconsin has some nice running backs too, but Alex Hornibrook is also a very average QB. As long as Wisconin has him, I think we have a good shot at winning when we play.

Defense is a bigger question mark for Wisconsin this year. They'll have a good defense but unlikely it'll be as good as last year.

We are going to beat yo ass...putting down the pipe I don't think it will be a power boat race this year.

The way I see it, until we're rebuilt and humming along as a plug-and-play team (I think at the very earliest we will start seeing this in 2019, but maybe more like 2020 and 2021), Wisconsin still owns the West. And what's crazy is, the West in general IS getting stronger. Minnesota and Purdue have better coaches, so they'll probably be better teams. Iowa will probably always be Iowa as long as Ferentz is there. Northwestern is kind of the same way. The only stinky team I can think of is Illinois; I don't think Smith is going to last long enough there to do much of anything, if he's capable of doing anything there at all.

In short order though, I would say its fair to expect Nebraska to start challenging for the West title every year, and hopefully becoming the dominant team in the division, or at least being one of the two top ones regularly.

Brohm will be gone most likely after this year. If Fleck experiences success at Minnesota I can’t imagine he’s there very long either.

We are going to be a much better football team than people expect. We will score a lot of points and we are just getting started with the Frost system.

Defense will be more aggressive and will be better tacklers.

We will pull off a big upset against someone in the conference this year. Probably around 8 wins for the regular season, but with Frost as the head coach he can shock people. He is legit. Would not surprise me at all if Frost beats WI and Michigan State this year.

We could have a true freshman starting and he is the fastest QB WI will have seen at Nebraska and he can pass too.

WI better be ready to play a lot of snaps on defense and be able to cover the whole field since Frost is going to stretch that defense deep and wide. Go back and watch the Oregon vs WI game to see how it will look like from a scheme point of view.

Reactions: dinglefritz
We are going to be a much better football team than people expect. We will score a lot of points and we are just getting started with the Frost system.

Defense will be more aggressive and will be better tacklers.

We will pull off a big upset against someone in the conference this year. Probably around 8 wins for the regular season, but with Frost as the head coach he can shock people. He is legit. Would not surprise me at all if Frost beats WI and Michigan State this year.

We could have a true freshman starting and he is the fastest QB WI will have seen at Nebraska and he can pass too.

WI better be ready to play a lot of snaps on defense and be able to cover the whole field since Frost is going to stretch that defense deep and wide. Go back and watch the Oregon vs WI game to see how it will look like from a scheme point of view.

Irish coffee?

Yep. The west has toughened up with HCSF.

However, warp7 A. Martinez is fast as hell but Wisky has played T. Martinez who was even faster imo.

Who the hell knows! There is a lot of healing that this team needs to do from last years train wreck. This team was basically two plays away from being 2 and F#*%ing 10. Last years team was as bad and offensive and defensive performance as I have ever seen.

Honestly I would say Nebraska is in about the same position as Purdue was last year. Find a way to gain some early season confidence and ride that to a 6 or 7 win season would be my guess.

Reactions: Red Steve
Nebraska will be lucky to match last year's win total. I am setting the bar as low as possible. That way, when we win 8 games, I will feel better about the situation because they will have exceeded my artificially lowered expectations. If I say they will win 8 and they just meet the expectations, it just feels worse.

Who the hell knows! There is a lot of healing that this team needs to do from last years train wreck. This team was basically two plays away from being 2 and F#*%ing 10. Last years team was as bad and offensive and defensive performance as I have ever seen.

Honestly I would say Nebraska is in about the same position as Purdue was last year. Find a way to gain some early season confidence and ride that to a 6 or 7 win season would be my guess.
At the same time, Nebraska was also 2 plays away from 6-6 when you look at Northwestern and northern Illinois.

We were 4-8 and that’s what we were. We weren’t 2-10, we weren’t 6-6, we were 4-8.

Before the spring and I was drinking a lot of SF Kool-Aid, I felt like 9 wins was doable.

After watching the Spring Game, I think 8 wins (inclusive of a Bowl Game) will be the ceiling.

The reality of the situation for me, is multi-faceted.

There will be a period of adjustment to this staff during games. History also shows, that first-time QB Starters usually (key-word, usually) don't equate to high-level success. The O-Line still needs a lot of work. The kicking game (particularly PK) could be a major weakness. Depth issues throughout the defense. While the team looked physically better, there is still much work to be done over the summer and fall camp. I'm not sure how much guys can physically improve over just one year (even though the gains are impressive).

However, I don't forsee the quit and blowouts next year. I think there will be much more fight and mental toughness all around. The country club days are over, similar to that opening scene from "Heartbreak Ridge" where people don't "habla" or "Swede" is going to save them. I do like the fact that the players have seemed to buy in. The schedule next year is also not conducive to a higher win total. I really think that year 2 under SF will be where we see a bigger transformation after we have more experience under his system and the culture continues to take hold. That said, I'm very excited about what is to come.

I’m still having a difficult time getting rid of the Riley stench that permeated this team. He didn’t give a crap and that was reflected by his team that quit. The psyche of this team will take time to repair.
Nope. I don't believe that. The vibe from fans, players and media throughout Nebraska is night and day. The coaching staff has a clear unified message and there isn't the sniping going on behind the scenes from various fronts. No more AD hired DCs forced on the head coach. We will have a coherent game plan communicated in a clear manner. I expect us to win 7-8 at minimum. IMO, this will be a rapid turn around this next fall similar to Pelini's first year but getting over that 8-9 win hurdle will take a couple of years. JMHO.

Nope. I don't believe that. The vibe from fans, players and media throughout Nebraska is night and day. The coaching staff has a clear unified message and there isn't the sniping going on behind the scenes from various fronts. No more AD hired DCs forced on the head coach. We will have a coherent game plan communicated in a clear manner. I expect us to win 7-8 at minimum. IMO, this will be a rapid turn around this next fall similar to Pelini's first year but getting over that 8-9 win hurdle will take a couple of years. JMHO.

I would agree with that 100% if it weren't for our schedule. We're playing the absolute best of the Big Ten and we're usually doing it in away games. That's why, despite being able to see massive improvement and a team that is a whole lot more fun to watch, 6-6 is a good criterion.

Reactions: Red Steve
09/01 Akron Lincoln Win
09/08 Colorado Lincoln Win
09/15 Troy Lincoln Win
09/22 Michigan Ann Arbor Loss
09/29 Purdue - Lincoln Win
10/06 Wisconsin Madison Toss up
10/13 Northwestern Evanston Toss up
10/20 Minnesota Lincoln Win
11/03 Ohio State Columbus Loss
11/10 Illinois Lincoln Win
11/17 Michigan State Lincoln Toss up
11/23 Iowa Iowa City Toss up

Toss up being 40-60 pct chance either way.

So with this criteria used if Neb wins 50/50 of the toss up games the win total is 8. If the team really comes together and plays as good as they can 10 wins is not out of the question. There will be disagreements but if this team comes together the above is pretty realistic. Fans should expect this team to win 8 games.

Brohm will be gone most likely after this year. If Fleck experiences success at Minnesota I can’t imagine he’s there very long either.

Brohm will bolt if he can, I totally agree. Nothing against Purdue but I think he is after a title and big money...

Fleck I can't figure out...I didn't think the Minny move was all that great but he sure did. I think one of two things...he either took the job looking for something bigger later or he took it thinking he could build it into an MSU type of team.

Fleck has been open in the past that he wanted to be a head coach in the B1G. Got job a B1G job. Who knows if he would want to leave for another B1G job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT