ADVERTISEMENT

So Frost said tonight about Martinez ...

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
"Year 2, because of the situation (ie. my added words - no competition at his position), I think he was able to put it in cruise control a little more, and I think that showed up on the field a little bit," Frost said.

Yes, I would agree with Frost. If he's willing to admit that even a little bit, I'm sure it was worse than what Frost said.

Additionally (not specifically related to Martinez):

Frost said six people from the Husker football program tested positive for the Coronavirus. Five players and one staff member. Three of those returned from further off locations and three had been living within the Lincoln community. Not clear exactly when those positive tests took place.

Last edited:
I might be an idiot, but could you rephrase what Coach Frost actually said

"Year 2, because of the situation (ie. my added words - no competition at his position), I think he was able to put it in cruise control a little more, and I think that showed up on the field a little bit," Frost said.

Yes, I would agree with Frost. If he's willing to admit that even a little bit, I'm sure it was worse than what Frost said.

I wonder “who” allowed him to practice using cruise control? Winking

ThunderousQualifiedChevrotain-size_restricted.gif

2,width=650,height=650,appearanceId=1,backgroundColor=ffffff.jpg

Last edited:

Wow that's not good. The coaching staff needs to either do a better job at manufacturing competition or find some other way to motivate your starting quarterback. If it's a Martinez problem (whether that's attitude or confidence issue or whatever it may be) and not a coaching problem, maybe it would have been a good idea to sit him on the bench at times to get his head straight. Saying there wasn't enough competition isn't a good enough excuse for the poor play at the qb position last year.

I don’t think it helps the team when Frost criticizes players publicly. If Martinez had a problem last year, Frost should address it privately in my opinion.

I don’t mind the honest assessment. Martinez is a great kid. He’s gonna learn and improve. He’s gonna have McCaffrey hungry as ever right there ready to take his spot.

Time to turn the page, turn it up, turn this sinking ship around, refocus and play some legit football.

A lot more potential with this new offensive roster I would say, but so much to prove still with unknown elements.

1. Yes, Frost is admitting to a coaching mistake
2. Frost should have at least benched him for a series during a game just to get his head on straight. Many coaches do this,
3. It shows us that Mcaffrey wasn’t ready last year to be a full time starter
4. It calls into question the leadership and character of AMart. It calls into question his overall devotion to Nebraska football and not just to himself.
5. Now we can better understand why JD quit. (See number 4)
6. It shows that the verdict is still out on Frost as a head coach. He has been a head coach for four years and in only one of those years did his teams play well.
7. Now I will take this to the nuclear level: Osborne would have benched AMart last year

2. Frost should have at least benched him for a series during a game just to get his head on straight. Many coaches do this,
4. It calls into question the leadership and character of AMart. It calls into question his overall devotion to Nebraska football and not just to himself.
6. It shows that the verdict is still out on Frost as a head coach. He has been a head coach for four years and in only one of those years did his teams play well.
7. Now I will take this to the nuclear level: Osborne would have benched AMart last year

would Osborne have aired all of this to the media or would he have left it at “we need to get more consistent play from the QB position”?

I appreciate that he flat-out said AM didn’t take his preparation seriously enough last year. And in the same breath he said that it won’t be an issue going-forward as we now have a very capable QB behind him that’s going to do whatever he can to try and take the job - I actually hope he does because I think LM has the higher ceiling of the two and allows HCSF to incorporate more into the playbook because of his elite athleticism.

Reactions: Thortulz
would Osborne have aired all of this to the media or would he have left it at “we need to get more consistent play from the QB position”?
Yeah, better to send his message subtly. It will still reach its intended target.

Reactions: studed
Seemed like a good interview where SF hit all the bases of concern with a positive upside while acknowledging they need to do better around him. Seems some of the comments here are shooting from the hip after reading the lead in. I hope this season plays out as I'm excited to see these kids play. It's a game, sit back, enjoy, and watch for the improvements each year from here on out. Lets quit nick picking every little interview or element of the game.

He got hurt a week and a half before the season started. He didn't get injured until the Purdue game.

Don’t know about when the non shoulder was injured but he was out for the Northwestern, Minnesota and Indiana games..

But looked on decisive and hesitant since the season began last year..

Don’t know how Frost admits to a coaching mistake unless it was not pushing 2AM enough or getting Vedral more prepared...

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I agree except number 7, TO was pretty dang stubborn. He mentioned once you don’t do that because of you don’t want to hurt their confidence. But on the other hand he did a lot of flipping with Craig sundberg and Travis turner, and he did it with brook and tommie on the orange bowl.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I’m not thinking AM’s character or commitment needs to be called into question. Without real competition behind him, it’s more subtle and subconscious. Easier to see those little things in retrospect.

I’ve been extremely critical of his performance and think last year was unacceptable. He definitely needed more bench time. But as a young player, he’s learning what it really takes.

I’m also not sure JD’s departure is in any way related.

Sam McKewon quoted Frost on Twitter:

"I don't think he'll (A.M.) be lax in his preparation ever again."

Wow, that's really calling the kid out, but it's also something we saw with our own eyes. Martinez looked and played like a guy who had let things go to his head. To my eye, he gained bad weight, looked slower and didn't look as prepared on the field.

You guys know it can be both, right? He can need to work harder and also get hurt.

Another case of Scott not always making the best choice. I don't think he meant to bus roll Martinez, but he will see how that comment gets played up and learn a lesson for the future.

At the same time, I think he does want to motivate Martinez and all the other QBs and send them a message. But he probably didn't anticipate that this comment would become the center of a week of discussion.

You don't get the accuracy issues and tentative play Martinez showed from just mediocre preparation. He played like a guy who was hurt all year. It's been suggested repeatedly that he was hurt in camp.

You guys know it can be both, right? He can need to work harder and also get hurt.

Another case of Scott not always making the best choice. I don't think he meant to bus roll Martinez, but he will see how that comment gets played up and learn a lesson for the future.

At the same time, I think he does want to motivate Martinez and all the other QBs and send them a message. But he probably didn't anticipate that this comment would become the center of a week of discussion.

You don't get the accuracy issues and tentative play Martinez showed from just mediocre preparation. He played like a guy who was hurt all year. It's been suggested repeatedly that he was hurt in camp.
is this being talked about anywhere other than this board?

Wow that's not good. The coaching staff needs to either do a better job at manufacturing competition or find some other way to motivate your starting quarterback. If it's a Martinez problem (whether that's attitude or confidence issue or whatever it may be) and not a coaching problem, maybe it would have been a good idea to sit him on the bench at times to get his head straight. Saying there wasn't enough competition isn't a good enough excuse for the poor play at the qb position last year.

It's hard to see the swamp when you are hip deep in alligators. I think after watching tape Frost made some moves and will continue to do so.

He relied on people doing there jobs properly... Hopefully he will be reacting sooner in the future.

Reactions: countrybob

Do you seriously think that inaccuracy and tentative play are not direct results of poor preparation?

Have you ever had to give a major presentation at work to colleagues and/or superiors? Would you dare go into that presentation without having spent adequate time preparing and rehearsing what you were going to say?? Poor preparation leads to mistakes, period.

Reactions: countrybob
Do you seriously think that inaccuracy and tentative play are not direct results of poor preparation?

Have you ever had to give a major presentation at work to colleagues and/or superiors? Would you dare go into that presentation without having spent adequate time preparing and rehearsing what you were going to say?? Poor preparation leads to mistakes, period.
I failed to see where Beav said it wasn’t just poor preparation... I’m pretty sure he said it was both.

I failed to see where Beav said it wasn’t just poor preparation... I’m pretty sure he said it was both.
If I mistook the message I apologize, but was basing my point on the following statement he made near the end:

"You don't get the accuracy issues and tentative play Martinez showed from just mediocre preparation."

My point is you can, and will, see inaccuracy and tentative play simply due to lack of preparation.

Things I take away from this:
1. He said early on he wanted to R/S Luke, not sure why Luke actually R/Sing is an actual surprise to anyone still
2. People still can't handle blunt and honest truth even when they want it
3. People do not like coach speak, get mad when they hear coach speak during the season, do not like honest truth, and then question whether Osborne would give that same coach speak that everyone hates......

Tough crowd in 2020

Run that by me again - you question AM's devotion to Nebraska football but not JD? Which one just quit on his team? AM has/had zero to do with why JD is gone. You just went full potato on that one. AM played terrible last year, as did MANY other players and coaches. I don't think Adrian was the only player or coach admiring the hype.

Additionally (not specifically related to Martinez):

Frost said six people from the Husker football program tested positive for the Coronavirus. Five players and one staff member. Three of those returned from further off locations and three had been living within the Lincoln community. Not clear exactly when those positive tests took place.
I think many of us could see Martinez was not the same player as we saw in 2018. One could argue he shouldn't have been starting. I think some had to do with his injury, he was afraid to get hit. I do believe a large part was he had no fear of losing the starting spot. I don't know if that was because he knew as long as he did the minimum he was good enough to beat Vedral. He knew Luke was RS so he was no threat. Or if he knew he was safe because Frost told him he was the guy no matter what. Either way when a player knows there is no chance to be replaced the effort is not going to be there 100%. That goes for jobs as well. If you know there is zero chance you will be fired what incentive is there to go above and beyond?
IMO this falls on Frost not Martinez. It is his responsibility to keep that competition going. He needs to make sure he has at least 2 players in every position that could take the spot from the other. There has been speculations that Frost has favored Martinez since the get go. I don't know if that is true. I do understand the situation Frost was in last year. We all knew Luke was going to RS and I think that was the right call. That only left Vedral as a threat for the job. Even as bad as Martinez was I don't think Vedral was much competition to take the spot. Hopefully as we getting deeper and deeper into the Frost era we start seeing this 2,3 and 4 deep competition at every position.

That was obvious

Watch how your teammates react to you taking hits.

They saw it themselves and he looked out of shape.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT