ADVERTISEMENT

So Frost said tonight about Martinez ...

I wonder “who” allowed him to practice using cruise control? Winking

ThunderousQualifiedChevrotain-size_restricted.gif

2,width=650,height=650,appearanceId=1,backgroundColor=ffffff.jpg
I agree it falls 100% on Frost. However what options did he have to replace Martinez? A true freshman in Luke Mccaffrey, who mind you was also injured for part of the year. Also who we all knew was going to RS and should have. Or Vedral who was a back up at UCF and only option to transfer was Rutgers. He was also hurt part of the year. I just think Frosts options were pretty limited. Even a half assing it Martinez was probably better than Vedral and was probably equal to Luke and Luke being equal to Martinez at that point was not worth burning his RS.
Now I do think Frost should have did more to put some fear into Martinez, to get his head back in the game. Maybe unexpectedly right before the game he has Vedral or Luke start and play a quarter or a half or even the whole game.

Last edited:
here's the actual quote, without any editorializing, a mere 32 posts in...

EbvGfg2XgAAuQxI
There's absolutely no reason a starting quarterback should be lax in his preparation. Maybe if you show you're willing to bench his ass that would send a stronger message that he needs to get right his mindset and approach to preparation.

Martinez has tons of talent. We all saw that his Freshman year. There's no reason last year should have happened. I don't think it's all Martinez's fault. I think there was some scheme issues or maybe even mechanics issues that that the coaches tried to get him to look at, but Martinez maybe just didn't quite grasp it and lost confidence as a result. I think that's the most likely explanation for the performance issues last year. But regardless of all that, Martinez needs to make sure he's fully prepared each and every week in practice as well as in games if he's going to reach his full potential.

I agree it falls 100% on Frost. However what options did he have to replace Martinez? A true freshman in Luke Mccaffrey, who mind you was also injured for part of the year. Also who we all knew was going to RS and should have. Or Vedral who was a back up at UCF and only option to transfer was Rutgers. He was also hurt part of the year. I just think Frosts options were pretty limited. Even a half assing it Martinez was probably better than Vedral and was probably equal to Luke and Luke being equal to Martinez at that point was not worth burning his RS.
Now I do think Frost should have did more to put some fear into Martinez, to get his head back in the game. Maybe unexpectedly right before the game he has Vedral or Luke start and play a quarter or a half or even the whole game.
I don't know if you're trying to downplay it by saying he was a backup at UCF, but Vedral was backup to one of the best QB's in college football. Most people agree the offense ran better when he came in. It wasn't like we had Ryker Fyfe as our only option. Vedral was a perfectly capable backup that you can feel comfortable playing for a quarter or two, and Luke could have came in to provide a spark in the run game Martinez just didn't have last year.

I don’t think it helps the team when Frost criticizes players publicly. If Martinez had a problem last year, Frost should address it privately in my opinion.
This isn’t the first time Frost has tossed a player under the bus. Not a good look for the conference’s #9 coach.

There's absolutely no reason a starting quarterback should be lax in his preparation. Maybe if you show you're willing to bench his ass that would send a stronger message that he needs to get right his mindset and approach to preparation.

Martinez has tons of talent. We all saw that his Freshman year. There's no reason last year should have happened. I don't think it's all Martinez's fault. I think there was some scheme issues or maybe even mechanics issues that that the coaches tried to get him to look at, but Martinez maybe just didn't quite grasp it and lost confidence as a result. I think that's the most likely explanation for the performance issues last year. But regardless of all that, Martinez needs to make sure he's fully prepared each and every week in practice as well as in games if he's going to reach his full potential.

One possibility is that Coach Verduzzo put to much into his head before the start of the season..

His decision making was on decisive early part of the season and he didn’t take off and run like he had done his Freshman year when he felt the pressure..

Reactions: oldjar07
Looking ahead, my big concern with 2020 games (aside from just being able to play) is the issue of QB/WR chemistry.
Adrian and Luke are gonna need time to throw it around with the WRs and get comfortable with each other.
With a new cast of players in a lot of spots... add in OL re-shuffling, chemistry will be key.

I don't know if you're trying to downplay it by saying he was a backup at UCF, but Vedral was backup to one of the best QB's in college football. Most people agree the offense ran better when he came in. It wasn't like we had Ryker Fyfe as our only option. Vedral was a perfectly capable backup that you can feel comfortable playing for a quarter or two, and Luke could have came in to provide a spark in the run game Martinez just didn't have last year.
10 points in 7 quarters w vedral.

most people would certainly not argue the offense ran better with him under center. if they do, their argument is not based in any actual anecdotal, on-field evidence.

every single person involved in husker football needs to up their game.

Run that by me again - you question AM's devotion to Nebraska football but not JD? Which one just quit on his team? AM has/had zero to do with why JD is gone. You just went full potato on that one. AM played terrible last year, as did MANY other players and coaches. I don't think Adrian was the only player or coach admiring the hype.
You don’t know why JD left either. Various reasons have been given but there is nothing from JD that makes any of the explanations definitive. I am not claiming that AMart is the only reason or even the main reason he left. But if even Frost is now publicly stating that AMart was often just mailing it in last year it is at least reasonable to speculate that JD may have been pissed at AMart. JD gave up his body for the team last year and took a beating. In my mind, it had to piss him off to be giving it everything he had for the team only to have a QB who wasn’t and who suffered zero repercussions for dogging it from his head coach. I may be wrong, but I hardly have gone full potato.

You don’t know why JD left either. Various reasons have been given but there is nothing from JD that makes any of the explanations definitive. I am not claiming that AMart is the only reason or even the main reason he left. But if even Frost is now publicly stating that AMart was often just mailing it in last year it is at least reasonable to speculate that JD may have been pissed at AMart. JD gave up his body for the team last year and took a beating. In my mind, it had to piss him off to be giving it everything he had for the team only to have a QB who wasn’t and who suffered zero repercussions for dogging it from his head coach. I may be wrong, but I hardly have gone full potato.
Yeah, gotcha. Your 100% speculation is well reasoned and therefore must be forgiven for questioning a kid's character based on that speculation. Meanwhile JD (in a fact based world) quit on his team but he's the warrior who's pissed at his QB. I've heard a lot of talk about why JD isn't here and none of it had to do with AM dogging it. BTW, AM's numbers and record would be at least a few games better if JD made catches in crunch time. Colorado and OSU in '18 come to mind if I remember correctly.

I would like to remind everyone that it was the players, not the coaches, that elected Martinez as a Captain last year.

The team will have the opportunity to elect someone else prior to this season if they're truly unhappy with Martinez because of his attitude, preparation, treatment, performance, etc. in 2019.

On a side note and I doubt it happens, but if you're a big fan of dramatics, what happens if LM is elected a Captain and 2AM isn't?

Do you seriously think that inaccuracy and tentative play are not direct results of poor preparation?

Have you ever had to give a major presentation at work to colleagues and/or superiors? Would you dare go into that presentation without having spent adequate time preparing and rehearsing what you were going to say?? Poor preparation leads to mistakes, period.
It would reduce the quality of my presentation. It wouldn't alter my ability to stand.

There was also a physical issue with Martinez last year. He was incapable of passes he was hitting the year before. You don't forget how to throw a football because you could have done better in the film room.

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
Yeah, gotcha. Your 100% speculation is well reasoned and therefore must be forgiven for questioning a kid's character based on that speculation. Meanwhile JD (in a fact based world) quit on his team but he's the warrior who's pissed at his QB. I've heard a lot of talk about why JD isn't here and none of it had to do with AM dogging it. BTW, AM's numbers and record would be at least a few games better if JD made catches in crunch time. Colorado and OSU in '18 come to mind if I remember correctly.
Look, I’m not trying to pick a fight here or dig in my heels stubbornly. Like I said, I might be wrong about JD. And you are right... it is just speculation.
But my deeper point concerning AMart’s commitment to the team and the program is still valid, in the sense that it is a legitimate question to ask. Namely, if he was on “cruise control” last year to the extent that it was hurting his game in very noticeable ways what is his level of commitment? I don’t think that is attacking the kid or asking an unreasonable question. Heck, even the kid’s head coach Is publicly stating that he was kind of dogging it last year.

Look, I’m not trying to pick a fight here or dig in my heels stubbornly. Like I said, I might be wrong about JD. And you are right... it is just speculation.
But my deeper point concerning AMart’s commitment to the team and the program is still valid, in the sense that it is a legitimate question to ask. Namely, if he was on “cruise control” last year to the extent that it was hurting his game in very noticeable ways what is his level of commitment? I don’t think that is attacking the kid or asking an unreasonable question. Heck, even the kid’s head coach Is publicly stating that he was kind of dogging it last year.
Spielman literally said, and I quote, "Life is deeper than football," as part of a response to questions about his decision to leave NU.

seems pretty definitive, no?

Reactions: dinglefritz
A lot of things being said here... his dedication may have been less than his freshman year, believing the hype already heaped upon him.

I don’t believe this meant he didn’t try. Let it serve as a wake up call for AM. He knows that last year’s effort wasn’t good enough. Frost suggests this year will be different. AM’s preparation will be at the level it needs to be. Until I see otherwise, I have no choice but to believe him.

If AMart was giving less than 100% in prep because he has no competition that's a flaw in his makeup. You think Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes give less than 100% in their preparation? They know they don't have any competition and yet they bring it all the time. That's the difference between being a winner and an also-ran. Hopefully AMart learned that lesson and never deals with it again.

We're good! I'm with you all the way on AM needing to up his game. Seems clear that's the case. I just thought it was a bridge too far to throw the JD debacle on him. What's next, did he kidnap the Lindbergh baby? LOL

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
If AMart was giving less than 100% in prep because he has no competition that's a flaw in his makeup. You think Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes give less than 100% in their preparation? They know they don't have any competition and yet they bring it all the time. That's the difference between being a winner and an also-ran. Hopefully AMart learned that lesson and never deals with it again.
Saying that AM isn’t like the greatest of all time or the current greatest QB in the world is a pretty high standard to hold him to, don’t you think?

Reactions: egaRdeR
We're good! I'm with you all the way on AM needing to up his game. Seems clear that's the case. I just thought it was a bridge too far to throw the JD debacle on him. What's next, did he kidnap the Lindbergh baby? LOL
JD left because he didn't want to be in Lincoln and didn't want to play FB for NU anymore. I don't care what his relationship with AM was like.

So competition doesn't matter? Pretty sure just about every coach would think that competition brings more out of players. I don't care who you are, if someone is pushing you, you will do better.

I think the difference is the margin for error. People like Martinez doesn't have near as much margin as Brady or Mahomes. Not really why we would compare his drive to a couple of guys that have won super bowls as is.

Plain and simple, competition matters.

AMart had injuries that were limiting. It also seems that he didn't fully have his head in the game. Frost's public comments perhaps served to put him on notice.
Long time since the 90s folks.
That’s Is how guys get injured is by not having their heads in the game. AMart injuries and not having his head in the game go hand in hand

Reactions: scarletred
That is hysterical. I used that exact same example (Lindbergh baby) in an article I wrote last year. Lol. It doesn’t get old.

Reactions: mgbreis
well i hope adrian does'nt ,after all the negative comments by the readers and his coach, decides to stay in his hometown and play for fresno st. have fun and play football instead of trying to be the saviour of an entire state. taking a year off is probably better for him,become more mature ,how old is he 20? the way the virus is going i really doubt we'll have football this year anyhow.

I agree I do think he was probably capable. Im just saying I don't think he was this top level QB who was just overlooked by Frost both at UCF and Neb. I think if he was a top level QB he wouldn't have needed to transfer 2 times and end up at Rutgers. So yes he was capable, but I don't think that was good enough to take over full time. Even for a slacking Martinez. As I stated I do think Frost should have let him or Luke start a game and bench Martinez.

He may not have had any options to replace him last year, but he does this year. Martinez has shown his true colors that he only gives it his all when being pushed. If McCaffrey is remotely close to him this year, that is the way Frost should go (unless McCaffrey also gained a bunch of weight as a RS Frosh and half assed practiced because he knew he wasn’t going to play but four games).

Well, I am going to hope the fact that he came back to Lincoln in late March this year is a sign his head is on straight and he's ready to work! Let's hope so. His line will be much improved, thank god, and the receiving core should be good.

He may not have had any options to replace him last year, but he does this year. Martinez has shown his true colors that he only gives it his all when being pushed. If McCaffrey is remotely close to him this year, that is the way Frost should go (unless McCaffrey also gained a bunch of weight as a RS Frosh and half assed practiced because he knew he wasn’t going to play but four games).
I have no information. Just rumors, internet, and twitter chatter. Supposedly, there were many players not exactly happy that Frost didn't make the move at QB and felt Luke should have been starting. Just the little I have watch Luke play, players seem to respond much better to him when in,than Martinez. I think Luke is a natural born leader with tons of raw talent. I think 2AM has talent but struggles being a leader and getting people to follow him. Frost has also mentioned similar to this as well. After hearing this latest with him slacking, he may also struggle with self accountability and self motivation. If fellow teammates were also seeing this lack of effort in Martinez I can't imagine the frustration they felt.

Wasn't trying to compare their talent. Was comparing their effort.
I get that. But I also see over and over again players in every professional sport coast in non contract seasons and yet somehow turn it on for the big contract. It happens a ton.

I hope he treats this as a contract year.

I think a lack of an elite receiver hurt AM and the offense. Other teams had little fear of our receivers. I also think AM read all his press clippings and got fat & lazy. Hopefully the competition brings out the best and whoever our QB is breaks all kinds of records this year.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Spot on

8. An "injury" was not the central issue last season. Unless he was hurt in fall camp.
He WAS injured in fall camp. With the injuries he had I understand to some degree why he might not have gone full blast in practices. Human nature would be to try to protect yourself. IMO, Frost needs to adopt Osborne's style though when it comes to making statements about individual players. I just don't think it's productive to call people out in public. When somebody else starts running more snaps with the ones Martinez will figure it out very quickly. JMO.

That’s Is how guys get injured is by not having their heads in the game. AMart injuries and not having his head in the game go hand in hand

Having a truly grossly inept OLine (especially the 1st half of last year) just maybe didn't help AMart's head much in the game.

Reactions: dinglefritz
So what I infer from the comments is that RS Frosh Tristan Gebbia was better than anything that was on campus in 2019, except maybe Martinez? I base that on the fact that as a true frosh, Martinez competed with Gebbia, and as a soph, Gebbia was not on the roster.

As my friend Stanley Kirk Burrell says, things that make you go HMMMMMMMM

Reactions: OzzyLvr
So what I infer from the comments is that RS Frosh Tristan Gebbia was better than anything that was on campus in 2019, except maybe Martinez? I base that on the fact that as a true frosh, Martinez competed with Gebbia, and as a soph, Gebbia was not on the roster.

As my friend Stanley Kirk Burrell says, things that make you go HMMMMMMMM
I don't have a reason to think Gebbia isn't better than Vedral or Bunch. Luke had some good moments but he was an underweight true freshman and also got banged up.

IMO the only thing they knew for sure by mid-season at the QB spot was they wanted to keep Luke's redshirt. Maybe he could have won them another game or two, maybe he couldn't. If he passes Martinez and is an elite QB, it sure will be nice to have that extra year.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
I like the fact that Frost put Martinez on notice. I hope he uses it to bring out his best!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT