ADVERTISEMENT

Smoke and fire...

cruelhalo

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 27, 2003
I heard two iterations regarding Foley. The sources are fairly reliable and seems to go in line with Rhule's desire to not make coaching changes during the season.

1) Foley's contract will not be renewed at the end of the season.
2) Foley has to show major improvement from now until the end of the season before assessing his contract at EOY.

Foley is not the only coach under the microscope. I hope like hell Rhule says screw it and boots his ass sooner than later.

I heard two iterations regarding Foley. The sources are fairly reliable and seems to go in line with Rhule's desire to not make coaching changes during the season.

2) Foley has to show major improvement from now until the end of the season before assessing his contract at EOY.

Foley is not the only coach under the microscope. I hope like hell Rhule says screw it and boots his ass sooner than later.
I hope for once we have a coach willing on his own if it doesn’t turn around in certain areas

Blocked kicks allowed - last in the NCAA
Blocked punts allowed - last in the NCAA
Kick return defense - #87
Kick returns - #101
Net punting - last in the NCAA
Punt return defense - #108
Punt returns - #95

Source

Last edited:
Sadly, special teams was probably our best unit Saturday. Even with the opening KO
Also special teams weren’t used much outside of kick off returns. No confidence to even attempt a FG, so many turnovers really didn’t have to punt often. Only had to kick off twice, one punt return. What i am saying is they really didn’t play a part.

You had Michigan State essentially win their game against Iowa this weekend on the back of their special teams and grad transfer/NFL level kicker Kim
It’s apparent that Nebraska’s special teams is at the bottom of the league again. Championship caliber programs don’t have bottom of the league units. It’s hard to see any progress anywhere from that unit this year

With programs like ours, where we’re not getting a roster filled with 5-stars anytime soon, we HAVE to have an edge on special teams. Frank Beamer made his entire career based on that premise. And unlike offensive line, a specials team unit can make significant strides in-season, so a coaching change matters.

To continue fielding a unit this bad in every area and just chalk it up to an off-season eval is a fricking joke.

There are also rumors of the AD injecting himself into the coaching issues, which is allegedly creating friction. Cannot confirm that info.
I hope not, other than the usual job performance reviews, etc. We certainly don't need an AD acting like an NFL General Manager or owner and interjecting with which coach should be retained, etc.

It's fine to point out where the job performance could be better and it's up to Rhule to make that improvement happen.

None of the rankings above directly capture those repetitive bad snaps either.

What exactly has Foley been teaching?

You don’t know shit.

Read the quotes from the Ruhle press conference on December 21 2022 especially when talking about Foley, very interesting.

The loss to Indiana isn't the pressure point to have in-season changes. It will be the loss to UCLA that will drive changes, whether to promote a GA or duplicate responsibilities. We were expected to lose to Indiana. Husker fans HOPED to win but in reality it was going to be a very tough game to win with an offensive that can't score 24 at their best, against an offense that was scoring 41 a game. The blowout came as a result of 5 turnovers and the team giving up. They will circle the wagons and tell themselves it was their one bad game. Then they will come out confident against OSU and get beat like 35-7 or something, knowing that UCLA is a winnable game. Then when they get beat good by UCLA...shit will really hit the fan. Might be too late for in-season changes but the 2nd bye gives them a chance for Rhule to save face. Changes might happen before 2nd bye. Inject a little hope and optimism and try to steal a bowl game.

Last edited:
I hope not, other than the usual job performance reviews, etc. We certainly don't need an AD acting like an NFL General Manager or owner and interjecting with which coach should be retained, etc.

It's fine to point out where the job performance could be better and it's up to Rhule to make that improvement happen.
Ya- we have already watched that sh@& show.

Kick returns - #101
Punt returns - #95

Source
To be fair, Raiola’s pooch punts hurt our net punting ranking.

There are also rumors of the AD injecting himself into the coaching issues, which is allegedly creating friction. Cannot confirm that info.
I don’t blame Dannen for doing so. He’s ultimately responsible as well. This is no longer year 1 and when you have unacceptable performances it puts the whole operation into question.

You can not hire a huge staff with all these extra operational people and then lose by 49 points in game #19 to a team that won 3 games the year before and make everyone think that everything is just fine. If your Dannen you also didn’t hire Haven Fields just to create a useless role and make a paycheck.

Dinglefritz still thinks that is good
Never once said any of the special team stats were good. I’ve doubted that a mid season special team coordinator change would help. As a matter of fact, I think it could make things worse. 😕

The loss to Indiana isn't the pressure point to have in-season changes. It will be the loss to UCLA that will drive changes, whether to promote a GA or duplicate responsibilities. We were expected to lose to Indiana. Husker fans HOPED to win but in reality it was going to be a very tough game to win with an offensive that can't score 24 at their best, against an offense that was scoring 41 a game. The blowout came as a result of 5 turnovers and the team giving up. They will circle the wagons and tell themselves it was their one bad game. Then they will come out confident against OSU and get beat like 35-7 or something, knowing that UCLA is a winnable game. Then when they get beat good by UCLA...shit will really hit the fan. Might be too late for in-season changes but the 2nd bye gives them a chance for Rhule to save face. Changes might happen before 2nd bye. Inject a little hope and optimism and try to steal a bowl game.
Which is why a smart cutthroat HC ( and Athletic Director) would push for changes now, the writing has been on the wall for several games now not just against IU. They just had good enough players and coaches to really expose it.

Kick returns - #101
Punt returns - #95

Source
Frustrated Son Of A Bitch GIF by CBS

Which is why a smart cutthroat HC ( and Athletic Director) would push for changes now, the writing has been on the wall for several games now not just against IU. They just had good enough players and coaches to really expose it.
If the guys in the building could see it, they would be fixing it. He is oblivious to how bad Satt is...and is just blind to his guys. The fact that he was bragging about how fans wanted Satt gone last year but he stood behind him way back against winless Utep just shows he is stubborn and blind he. I grew up around coaches...they are often the most unaware, self-absorbed people you will ever meet...often on the psychopath scale. Rhule is in perpetual self-preservation mod...his #1 goal is to help Matt Rhule. Now, from AD perspective...he gets a paycheck through this coach and the next one. So would you fire the HC early or wait another year...another paycheck and then you bring your guys and get at least 3 more paychecks. Scummy business.

You are just full of alleged information tonight. Maybe tje AD is interfering and maybe tje coach will make changes. A true insider.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT