ADVERTISEMENT

Smack talk from the jumbotron

Antwill

All-American
Dec 18, 2004
Compton's fire-up videos are fun, but a little surprised Rhule is okay with smack talking the opponents like that. First the Louie bag comment against CU and then saying UNI doesn't belong on the same field. Call me a "get off my lawn" guy (I am. I even called out some college student Saturday night walking to the game because he threw trash on the ground instead of in a garbage can), but I'm for the "let your play do the talking" approach.

For the first time in my life I emailed the Athletic Department, and complained about the "not on the same field" insult. Our crowd can be extremely intimidating and should be. But disrespecting our opponents on Husker Vision is not the "Nebraska Way".

It is possible that snub fired THEM up to show they belonged on the same field, which led to their impressive 10-minute drive to kick their FG.

I didn’t mind the Colorado game trash talking for obvious reasons but Compton is a D bag for the comment of northern Iowa, they were a tough opponent and at times were kicking our Ds ass running the ball.

Compton's fire-up videos are fun, but a little surprised Rhule is okay with smack talking the opponents like that. First the Louie bag comment against CU and then saying UNI doesn't belong on the same field. Call me a "get off my lawn" guy (I am. I even called out some college student Saturday night walking to the game because he threw trash on the ground instead of in a garbage can), but I'm for the "let your play do the talking" approach.
He is too much Homer for my tastes. In deed the glory.

I didn’t mind the Colorado game trash talking for obvious reasons but Compton is a D bag for the comment of northern Iowa, they were a tough opponent and at times were kicking our Ds ass running the ball.
D bag is a little much. It probably wasn’t a well thought out comment, but he’s trying to fire up the crowd and the team. Nothing more than that.

For the first time in my life I emailed the Athletic Department, and complained about the "not on the same field" insult. Our crowd can be extremely intimidating and should be. But disrespecting our opponents on Husker Vision is not the "Nebraska Way".

It is possible that snub fired THEM up to show they belonged on the same field, which led to their impressive 10-minute drive to kick their FG.
Please let us know if AD office responds to you. I’m guessing they won’t.
The crowd doesn’t need it to be an intimidating crowd. And our team sure as heck better not need a pregame video from an outsider to have the desire to bring it 100%

D bag is a little much. It probably wasn’t a well thought out comment, but he’s trying to fire up the crowd and the team. Nothing more than that.
If our team needs an outsider to fire them up, well then the coaches are failing.

Personally I thought UNI was a tough well coached team. I was impressed with their O line for the most part and they gave our D line all they wanted for most of the game. We had trouble running the ball against their D for most of the game. I thought they played hard until they ran out of gas late in the game.

Personally I thought UNI was a tough well coached team. I was impressed with their O line for the most part and they gave our D line all they wanted for most of the game. We had trouble running the ball against their D for most of the game. I thought they played hard until they ran out of gas late in the game.
They had much better(execution) on the lines than Colorado did. Some people been on here upset about how we looked last night but the reality they proved to be above CU in some areas. I’m not saying they have more “talent” than CU but coaching and execution is better.

The crowd doesn’t need it to be an intimidating crowd. And our team sure as heck better not need a pregame video from an outsider to have the desire to bring it 100%
I doubt they will either. I emailed Dannen about Compton using the f-word and m-fer on the CU video and didn't get a response. First time I ever emailed. I don't think Compton used foul language in the UNI video, so maybe there's some progress. 😜

Its 90 seconds. The students like it and it gets them fired up. The players seem to like it. Compton has a national presence and maybe its helps recruiting. Now excuse me while I get off your lawns.
We talk about how bad it is for the Sanders and Travis Hunter to be running their mouths….to turn around and be supportive of our program having someone do it on the video screen

If our team needs an outsider to fire them up, well then the coaches are failing.
It’s more so to fire up the fans, that get rowdy and fire up our team. I wouldn’t actually call Will, an outsider. You didn't like Bud getting the team fired up for Colorado?

There are different ways to fire them all up. It’s part of the entertainment of the game too.

I've only emailed the AD's office twice in my life. Once when I wanted the Callahan clown show gone and another time expressing I'd like see see Frank brought back to honor his contributions to Husker Football.

It took a lot of years before Frank came back but I guess I'm 2 for 2 in my requests. Both times I got a nice, and pertinent, reply from a staffer in the office.

I'm gonna email them about this disrespectful in-stadium smack talk BS. Save it for social media.

Reactions: Zeke2005
It’s more so to fire up the fans, that get rowdy and fire up our team. I wouldn’t actually call Will, an outsider. You didn't like Bud getting the team fired up for Colorado?

There are different ways to fire them all up. It’s part of the entertainment of the game too.
I have no problem getting the team and crowd fired up. I really don't have a problem talking smack about the other team behind closed doors with the team. Doing it publicly and on Husker Vision is something else.

I have no problem getting the team and crowd fired up. I really don't have a problem talking smack about the other team behind closed doors with the team. Doing it publicly and on Husker Vision is something else.
That’s fair

Reactions: Antwill
Its 90 seconds. The students like it and it gets them fired up. The players seem to like it. Compton has a national presence and maybe its helps recruiting. Now excuse me while I get off your lawns.
No kidding, this is for the fans, the crowd. It is normal stuff. It is not trying to insult UNI it is trying to pump up the fans to get loud. Just like if he said "We are gonna kill these guys" he doesn't really mean they are going to kill them.

I doubt they will either. I emailed Dannen about Compton using the f-word and m-fer on the CU video and didn't get a response. First time I ever emailed. I don't think Compton used foul language in the UNI video, so maybe there's some progress. 😜
I must have missed that or it didn’t stand out to me.

Football is peak competition based on violence, intensity and dominating your guy. #1. We should never be playing FCS competition...it is a complete waste of time and we should be punished for scheduling them, as should everyone who plays fcs. #2: Every player has their own motivating factors that give them an edge to be as intense and violent as necessary when playing football. No normal human can maintain the intensity in daily life or they would kill their friends and family, so they often need a little pick me up. The huskers have been the epitome of underachieving for a decade, the epitome of low energy, passive, care-less and careless football. If it helps us play harder and focus better then trash talk is fine in a violent game where your goal is to smash in the opponents head and leave them so embarrassed that they never want to play you again.

Mark Farley is a big time fundamental coach. And has been for decades. He develops his players and always has them ready to play teams from a Power conference. I am glad we played them last night and learned how tough they are on the line of scrimmage.

Football is peak competition based on violence, intensity and dominating your guy. #1. We should never be playing FCS competition...it is a complete waste of time and we should be punished for scheduling them, as should everyone who plays fcs. #2: Every player has their own motivating factors that give them an edge to be as intense and violent as necessary when playing football. No normal human can maintain the intensity in daily life or they would kill their friends and family, so they often need a little pick me up. The huskers have been the epitome of underachieving for a decade, the epitome of low energy, passive, care-less and careless football. If it helps us play harder and focus better then trash talk is fine in a violent game where your goal is to smash in the opponents head and leave them so embarrassed that they never want to play you again.
So you're an "ends justifies the means" guy. I don't roll that way.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Compton videos are for the fans. Pumping them up to be on they're feet and be loud on 3rd down. Smack talk is what football is about. But if your going to run your mouth back it up. Colorado ran there mouth and got it shut.

Rhule does a lot of things "for the 'gram" as the kids say

fine when we're winning, lame when we're not

right now, we're winning.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
We talk about how bad it is for the Sanders and Travis Hunter to be running their mouths….to turn around and be supportive of our program having someone do it on the video screen
I get your point but they are current players and Compton is not. Did you see Dylan mocking Shedeurs “watch pose” after the game? Is that an issue?

Personally I dont care. 3-0 is what matters. Like Rhule said. Be “Nebraska Nice” on Sunday.

And remember, at its core this is a game played by college kids for college kids. Not for us old farts. I hate a lot of the music that gets played at the games. Couldnt tell you who most of the hip hops dudes are. But the players and the kids like it. Let them have their fun. Its been 20 plus years.

And again, excuse me while I step off your lawn😃

Last edited:
Yeah at some point, I would hope us just being us will be enough. At this pace, I am not sure what the effort would look like to get us pumped up for a conference championship, let alone NC game. Maybe a live human sacrifice? 🤔

As for the trash thing…lazy person needs called out. That’s not a function of age. I remember my wife and I leaving a McDonald’s when we were in our early 30’s. Some high school chick threw some trash out the car window into the parking lot. The Missus yelled, “Wait!”… grabbed the trash and jogged to the girl’s open window and tossed the trash back inside the car and in a very helpful tone said, “You dropped this!”. It was a nice moment.
🙂👍

They've never directly responded to my emails but they have implemented some things I suggested or eliminated the same. Maybe just common sense obvious but they do need to know what you think

After watching it…I still plan on going to the game against Illinois for the 400th sellout.

Shades of RedMichelle. Anyone else picking that up?

Loved it for the Colorado game, it was fitting. Fine with him doing something to juice up the fans before the game, but he's gotta avoid the put downs. It's on brand for him and he can do it all he wants on his social media channels, but gotta hold back when the university is putting you on the big screen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT