ADVERTISEMENT

Smack talk from the jumbotron

Antwill

All-American
Dec 18, 2004
Compton's fire-up videos are fun, but a little surprised Rhule is okay with smack talking the opponents like that. First the Louie bag comment against CU and then saying UNI doesn't belong on the same field. Call me a "get off my lawn" guy (I am. I even called out some college student Saturday night walking to the game because he threw trash on the ground instead of in a garbage can), but I'm for the "let your play do the talking" approach.

For the first time in my life I emailed the Athletic Department, and complained about the "not on the same field" insult. Our crowd can be extremely intimidating and should be. But disrespecting our opponents on Husker Vision is not the "Nebraska Way".

It is possible that snub fired THEM up to show they belonged on the same field, which led to their impressive 10-minute drive to kick their FG.

I didn’t mind the Colorado game trash talking for obvious reasons but Compton is a D bag for the comment of northern Iowa, they were a tough opponent and at times were kicking our Ds ass running the ball.

Compton's fire-up videos are fun, but a little surprised Rhule is okay with smack talking the opponents like that. First the Louie bag comment against CU and then saying UNI doesn't belong on the same field. Call me a "get off my lawn" guy (I am. I even called out some college student Saturday night walking to the game because he threw trash on the ground instead of in a garbage can), but I'm for the "let your play do the talking" approach.
He is too much Homer for my tastes. In deed the glory.

I didn’t mind the Colorado game trash talking for obvious reasons but Compton is a D bag for the comment of northern Iowa, they were a tough opponent and at times were kicking our Ds ass running the ball.
D bag is a little much. It probably wasn’t a well thought out comment, but he’s trying to fire up the crowd and the team. Nothing more than that.

Reactions: Huzkers25
For the first time in my life I emailed the Athletic Department, and complained about the "not on the same field" insult. Our crowd can be extremely intimidating and should be. But disrespecting our opponents on Husker Vision is not the "Nebraska Way".

It is possible that snub fired THEM up to show they belonged on the same field, which led to their impressive 10-minute drive to kick their FG.
Please let us know if AD office responds to you. I’m guessing they won’t.
The crowd doesn’t need it to be an intimidating crowd. And our team sure as heck better not need a pregame video from an outsider to have the desire to bring it 100%

D bag is a little much. It probably wasn’t a well thought out comment, but he’s trying to fire up the crowd and the team. Nothing more than that.
If our team needs an outsider to fire them up, well then the coaches are failing.

Personally I thought UNI was a tough well coached team. I was impressed with their O line for the most part and they gave our D line all they wanted for most of the game. We had trouble running the ball against their D for most of the game. I thought they played hard until they ran out of gas late in the game.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Its 90 seconds. The students like it and it gets them fired up. The players seem to like it. Compton has a national presence and maybe its helps recruiting. Now excuse me while I get off your lawns.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
Personally I thought UNI was a tough well coached team. I was impressed with their O line for the most part and they gave our D line all they wanted for most of the game. We had trouble running the ball against their D for most of the game. I thought they played hard until they ran out of gas late in the game.
They had much better(execution) on the lines than Colorado did. Some people been on here upset about how we looked last night but the reality they proved to be above CU in some areas. I’m not saying they have more “talent” than CU but coaching and execution is better.

Please let us know if AD office responds to you. I’m guessing they won’t.
The crowd doesn’t need it to be an intimidating crowd. And our team sure as heck better not need a pregame video from an outsider to have the desire to bring it 100%
I doubt they will either. I emailed Dannen about Compton using the f-word and m-fer on the CU video and didn't get a response. First time I ever emailed. I don't think Compton used foul language in the UNI video, so maybe there's some progress. 😜

Reactions: Zeke2005
Its 90 seconds. The students like it and it gets them fired up. The players seem to like it. Compton has a national presence and maybe its helps recruiting. Now excuse me while I get off your lawns.
We talk about how bad it is for the Sanders and Travis Hunter to be running their mouths….to turn around and be supportive of our program having someone do it on the video screen

Reactions: dinglefritz
If our team needs an outsider to fire them up, well then the coaches are failing.
It’s more so to fire up the fans, that get rowdy and fire up our team. I wouldn’t actually call Will, an outsider. You didn't like Bud getting the team fired up for Colorado?

There are different ways to fire them all up. It’s part of the entertainment of the game too.

I've only emailed the AD's office twice in my life. Once when I wanted the Callahan clown show gone and another time expressing I'd like see see Frank brought back to honor his contributions to Husker Football.

It took a lot of years before Frank came back but I guess I'm 2 for 2 in my requests. Both times I got a nice, and pertinent, reply from a staffer in the office.

I'm gonna email them about this disrespectful in-stadium smack talk BS. Save it for social media.

It’s more so to fire up the fans, that get rowdy and fire up our team. I wouldn’t actually call Will, an outsider. You didn't like Bud getting the team fired up for Colorado?

There are different ways to fire them all up. It’s part of the entertainment of the game too.
I have no problem getting the team and crowd fired up. I really don't have a problem talking smack about the other team behind closed doors with the team. Doing it publicly and on Husker Vision is something else.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I have no problem getting the team and crowd fired up. I really don't have a problem talking smack about the other team behind closed doors with the team. Doing it publicly and on Husker Vision is something else.
That’s fair

Reactions: Antwill
No kidding, this is for the fans, the crowd. It is normal stuff. It is not trying to insult UNI it is trying to pump up the fans to get loud. Just like if he said "We are gonna kill these guys" he doesn't really mean they are going to kill them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT