ADVERTISEMENT

Sleeper Pick to win BTN West: Nebraska

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
Some preseason mags giving Nebraska this label which is very...sobering. Yes, I realize it's a new coaching staff and expectations are relatively low for Nebraska. But man, seeing Nebraska picked as a "sleeper" for winning the B1G West is a reality slap. And I'm a pretty objective realist.

Just win and this all changes. Just stings a bit.

Reactions: AndyHanline
Yeah ummmm, we've been no better than a sleeper pick going on 15 years now. Sucks, but it's true. MR will change that, but not next year.

You're looking at the final results. Before those seasons started, not sure we were the favorite were we? In the end it doesn't matter, & your statement may be more accurate than mine. Bottom line, we've been REALLY average for a long time and I'm ready to start kicking some ass again.

Yeah ummmm, we've been no better than a sleeper pick going on 15 years now. Sucks, but it's true. MR will change that, but not next year.
Kind of disagree. We were almost always the favorite to win the Big 12 North. I don't ever recall being a "sleeper" to win that.

I'm not sure we are a sleeper to win the B1G west. Is Wisky or Minnesota or Iowa that much better? I don't think so. In fact, if I had to put percentages, I'd put it something like Nebraska 40%, Wisky 40%, Minnesota 10%, Iowa 8%, All others laughing stock teams 2%.

I'm not sure we are a sleeper to win the B1G west. Is Wisky or Minnesota or Iowa that much better? I don't think so. In fact, if I had to put percentages, I'd put it something like Nebraska 40%, Wisky 40%, Minnesota 10%, Iowa 8%, All others laughing stock teams 2%.
It's definitely not a consensus. Just a few. But still.

New coaching staff, new systems/schemes, may make it hard for analysts to project where we land. They may need to see improvement before crowning us champs, and projections tend to use the prior year's results.

Wisconsin has had our number, and may be viewed as a more "solid" program outside of NU fan opinions. Has Minn plateaued, or are they still moving up the food chain.

I think we have a good shot at finishing on top of the west, but I'm biased for NU.

We've been an above average program for the bulk of this century. It's now routine for us to be in the mix, but rarer to be a favorite. We have to once again earn the credibility with the media that we used to have. In a way that's refreshing. It'll be even sweeter when Nebraska returns to greatness.

I thin Nebraska is one of 4 teams that could win the West in 2015...I give them a 25% chance.

I thin Nebraska is one of 4 teams that could win the West in 2015...I give them a 25% chance.

I'm confused... Who are these 4 teams? I see Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Minnesota. There is no other team with a shot at the West in 2015.

This is exactly why I'm so stoked for this year. Riley is what we need to return to dominance. We've been so beaten down with mediocrity that we have totally become an all so ran. Oregon State is on par with the old Big Eight school Oklahoma State. You never would expect the likes of Jimmy Johnson and Les Miles to be movers and shakers of college football while at Okie State. But they were! Nebraska is the perfect vehicle for Mike Riley to not only succeed but dominate.

kill has taken minny out of the "doormat" category. i don't think you can walk into minny (home) and believe it's a "w". more often than not, they will be a force on their home field---but, i still think things will need to break right for them to win division titles---and, now with the new athletic complex in the works, sure isn't gonna hurt their chances.

This is exactly why I'm so stoked for this year. Riley is what we need to return to dominance. We've been so beaten down with mediocrity that we have totally become an all so ran. Oregon State is on par with the old Big Eight school Oklahoma State. You never would expect the likes of Jimmy Johnson and Les Miles to be movers and shakers of college football while at Okie State. But they were! Nebraska is the perfect vehicle for Mike Riley to not only succeed but dominate.

I wish I had your confidence. Im concerned on the recruiting end of things.

I wish I had your confidence. Im concerned on the recruiting end of things.
The way i see things is we need a solid season and any concerns with recruiting with be yesterday's concerns.

I guess I understand those who are concerned about recruiting, since we still need to land the talent, but it's hard not to get excited about the players who have been contacted by Nebraska... I love reading about those who did Friday Night Lights, some big names present. Reading about Oklahoma being in play as well, taking the best lineman out of Oklahoma this season and having the best QB from OK committed for next year, this is exciting and tells me we are going to be fine in recruiting.

Time will tell, but I guess I'm more optimistic than some when it comes to recruiting with this new staff...

Reactions: red rover 70
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT