ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Craziness

What a bunch of drama queens, talented yes integrity no.

There are a lot of people in these kids' ears, often telling them a lot of different things for their own selfish reasons. Look at Wandale, he had a "mentor" that was telling him something untrue about what position he would play here, and that's why he first committed to Kentucky. These are teenage kids that are put under a lot of pressure.

Does that mean Wandale doesn't have integrity? Asking for myself .

Big difference on opening up your recruiting or having a change of heart leading up to signing day. Waiting until you get in front of a school/reporters having a commitment in place and doing it for a dog and pony show for extra attention...why even commit to a school, your word means a nothing...just wait until signing day and put on a freaking hat.

What a bunch of drama queens, talented yes integrity no.

Remember...most of these kids are still minors, some of them live in relative poverty...and are reliant on adults to help them navigate this stuff...but we know that the "adults"; coaches, parents, uncles, siblings are receiving payments to sway the kid, or promises of payments. It is much safer for a program to pay a HS coach than to pay the player himself...the HS coach will keep his mouth shut...the player has leverage and might spill the beans if/when he transfers, quits or what not. The reason the families get so mad when a player chooses against their wishes is it likely costs them thousands of dollars in promised payments. There is a LOT going on behind the scenes in these situations.

I mean role-play for a minute. You are a 48 year old man...your son is a blue chip prospect. You are struggling to find work at your age after being let go from a stable job. Your son wants to go Stanford but NU offers you 50k to sway him to stay in Nebraska...knowing your input would really matter. You love your son, want him close, you love money, and want more. It is a win/win...where is the moral quandary?

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
Big difference on opening up your recruiting or having a change of heart leading up to signing day. Waiting until you get in front of a school/reporters having a commitment in place and doing it for a dog and pony show for extra attention...why even commit to a school, your word means a nothing...just wait until signing day and put on a freaking hat.
I'd like to go back to the days of tear-away jerseys and Keith Jackson, too. I couldn't decide if I wanted Burger King or Mc Donald's when I was 18. This is a lifelong decision for these kids and the climate as to which they are making this decision, has changed immensely, since much simpler times.

I'd like to go back to the days of tear-away jerseys and Keith Jackson, too. I couldn't decide if I wanted Burger King or Mc Donald's when I was 18. This is a lifelong decision for these kids and the climate as to which they are making this decision, has changed immensely, since much simpler times.
How about tear-away jerseys for the defense?

Remember...most of these kids are still minors, some of them live in relative poverty...and are reliant on adults to help them navigate this stuff...but we know that the "adults"; coaches, parents, uncles, siblings are receiving payments to sway the kid, or promises of payments. It is much safer for a program to pay a HS coach than to pay the player himself...the HS coach will keep his mouth shut...the player has leverage and might spill the beans if/when he transfers, quits or what not. The reason the families get so mad when a player chooses against their wishes is it likely costs them thousands of dollars in promised payments. There is a LOT going on behind the scenes in these situations.

I mean role-play for a minute. You are a 48 year old man...your son is a blue chip prospect. You are struggling to find work at your age after being let go from a stable job. Your son wants to go Stanford but NU offers you 50k to sway him to stay in Nebraska...knowing your input would really matter. You love your son, want him close, you love money, and want more. It is a win/win...where is the moral quandary?
If you really can’t see the moral quandary then you are without morals.

Does everybody do it? Sure. But that doesn’t make it morally right and sound.

I think the majority of us recognize that. However, I think most of the arbitrary judgement of these kids' morals is unnecessary. How many of us are the same people today that we were when we were 18?

I think the majority of us recognize that. However, I think most of the arbitrary judgement of these kids' morals is unnecessary. How many of us are the same people today that we were when we were 18?
Wasn’t questioning the 18 year olds as much as I was the poster saying it is morally acceptable. His moral compass is broken if he says there’s nothing wrong with it. The only way nothing is wrong with it is if the ncaa says recruits can now be paid. Then it’s ok.

you didn't answer the question. And so it appears you can't see it but have some mindless attachment to "doing it the right way"...I can see an issue with getting caught and hurting your child, but as far as I can tell no parent has ever been caught in major college football and had their eligibility impinged upon. Would I do it? Not at the moment...I wouldn't need to...would I want my child to live closer?...would I want to watch them play for NU? You of course see no moral issue with our society spending millions and billions on college football while education and health services struggle for financing, but you do see an issue with a family member taking 50k when their kid might help a University make millions...now I remember why I had you on ignore.

you didn't answer the question. And so it appears you can't see it but have some mindless attachment to "doing it the right way"...I can see an issue with getting caught and hurting your child, but as far as I can tell no parent has ever been caught in major college football and had their eligibility impinged upon. Would I do it? Not at the moment...I wouldn't need to...would I want my child to live closer?...would I want to watch them play for NU? You of course see no moral issue with our society spending millions and billions on college football while education and health services struggle for financing, but you do see an issue with a family member taking 50k when their kid might help a University make millions...now I remember why I had you on ignore.
And you are part of the problem with what’s wrong in the world. There are no moral absolutes anymore. You can justify anything. Just because the rules say one thing, you can justify breaking the rules.

What question did I not answer? About the moral quandary? I’m pretty sure I did. You can’t justify something simply because you don’t like the rule. It is immoral to say that even though it’s against the rules I’m gonna do it anyway.

You’ve been beating this ‘pay the players’ drum for awhile now, even though you recognize it’s against the rules. Where do you draw the line? It’s a slippery slope once you start rewriting rules for your own benefit.

And I’m not gonna lose any sleep over being on your ignore list. Lol that you think I care about that.

Did any of you judgmental types marry the first girl you dated? Well, that's what a verbal commitment is...a dating relationship. Either side can break it off at any time. None of it really matters until you sign on the dotted line, in both recruiting and relationships.

Don't blame recruits for this effed up system. They didn't invent it. The NCAA and its member schools came up with the overly complicated and rule-bound version of recruiting we see today. I don't envy a parent try to navigate their child through all the lies and rules while being recruited.

Did any of you judgmental types marry the first girl you dated? Well, that's what a verbal commitment is...a dating relationship. Either side can break it off at any time. None of it really matters until you sign on the dotted line, in both recruiting and relationships.

Don't blame recruits for this effed up system. They didn't invent it. The NCAA and its member schools came up with the overly complicated and rule-bound version of recruiting we see today. I don't envy a parent try to navigate their child through all the lies and rules while being recruited.
Why don’t you read what solana is saying… Has nothing to do with verbal commitments changing. That’s part of the game, and there’s nothing wrong with that. We have benefited from it in the past, and it has bit us in the butt in the past… Solana is talking about paying for players and that there’s nothing wrong with that. I disagree with that sentiment. Does that make me judgmental?

Edit: now maybe you weren’t referring to me... if that is the case, then my apologies.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT