ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question

The travel isn't the issue. It will be the same people sitting on the same plane, just like it is the same people sitting in the same locker room or the same weight room. They fly private jets, they aren't sitting at Epply for 3 hours and then sitting at OHare for a few more waiting on a connector to West Lafayette.

If there are protocols in place that prevent players that have a fever, cough and sore throat from playing in a game, then what is the issue? Protect the vulnerable!!!!!

basically fear of the unknown. maybe something might happen if

That isn’t the protocol in place - doesn’t matter if you are symptomatic or not

+ test you are out and close contacts are out

Highest amount of nasopharyngeal virus present in the 2-3 days before developing symptoms

and the mandated test is PCR which is the most sensitive test with a very, very low threshold which may be below the actual threshold for being contagious

wrong test for population screening in asymptomatic cohort

That isn’t the protocol in place - doesn’t matter if you are symptomatic or not

+ test you are out and close contacts are out

Highest amount of nasopharyngeal virus present in the 2-3 days before developing symptoms

and the mandated test is PCR which is the most sensitive test with a very, very low threshold which may be below the actual threshold for being contagious

wrong test for population screening in asymptomatic cohort

And each of those players are sitting in a room and working out with those same players now. Why is there no huge outbreak on each campus?

Reactions: OzzyLvr and AFTray
And each of those players are sitting in a room and working out with those same players now. Why is there no huge outbreak on each campus?

there very well may not be - there haven’t been any full team scrimmages - or even pads on yet(not sure about that)

that’s my point - the BIG/PAC12 want more assurances

The medical task forces of each conference may have all come to the same answers to 2 simple questions - both answers being “no”

1. Can you assure us that it is safe to play— no

2. Do you have good evidence that it is unsafe to play —no

Big/pac-12 - we aren’t playing
ACC/SEC/B12 — LFG

there very well may not be - there haven’t been any full team scrimmages - or even pads on yet(not sure about that)

The medical task forces of each conference may have all come to the same answers to 2 simple questions - both answers being “no”

ACC/SEC/B12 — LFG

Can you assure my kid won't get hit by a car? - no

Big 10 / Pac 12 - we aren't walking to class
ACC/ SEC/ Big 12 - we'll take our chances that walking on the sidewalk we will be safe.

ACC/SEC/B12 — LFG

There are no assurances in life, except death.

Football has never been safe to play, yet we accept the risks. Just like everything else.

Can you assure my kid won't get hit by a car? - no

Big 10 / Pac 12 - we aren't walking to class
ACC/ SEC/ Big 12 - we'll take our chances that walking on the sidewalk we will be safe.

I can assure you that if your kid gets hit by a car - all the kids he was tackling and in scrums with over the last few days are now not at increased risk of getting hit by cars

Please take up your arguments with the big and pac presidents after hearing from their task forces

I’m sure you aren’t expressing any opinions that they haven’t heard in the course of their deliberations

I’m not arguing on their behalf

I can assure you that if your kid gets hit by a car - all the kids he was tackling and in scrums with over the last few days are now not at increased risk of getting hit by cars

Please take up your arguments with the big and pac presidents after hearing from their task forces

I’m sure you aren’t expressing any opinions that they haven’t heard in the course of their deliberations

You are 100% arguing on their behalf. And have been for weeks

You are 100% arguing on their behalf. And have been for weeks

nope - I’m arguing some are more comfortable proceeding in the setting of uncertainty in a pandemic than others

People’s threshold for actionable evidence is different

nope - I’m arguing some are more comfortable proceeding in the setting of uncertainty in a pandemic than others

People’s threshold for actionable evidence is different

Sort of, you believe the big 10 and Pac 12 made the correct decision. Which makes it easier for you to defend their decision while not outwardly saying so. It's cool, it's much easier to sit on the fence than actually have an opinion

Sort of, you believe the big 10 and Pac 12 made the correct decision. Which makes it easier for you to defend their decision while not outwardly saying so. It's cool, it's much easier to sit on the fence than actually have an opinion

no - I have defended that their decision is reasonable given the current state of the evidence

there is a big split in universities with regards to having kids on campus - both decisions are reasonable

Those that are pushing the hardest to play (me included) have absolutely zero stake in the grand scheme. The real problem is that it is possible that one athlete out of the several thousand that would play might have a bad reaction to the virus and die. Yes, people die all the time but to knowingly put a University at risk In a high profile way just ain’t going to happen. I imagine very few of the University Presidents (Like the posters on this board and most Americans) actually care about individual life, but they do care about the massive lawsuit and publicity from a death. We had our chance to make an impact in about April and missed it.

Those that are pushing the hardest to play (me included) have absolutely zero stake in the grand scheme. The real problem is that it is possible that one athlete out of the several thousand that would play might have a bad reaction to the virus and die. Yes, people die all the time but to knowingly put a University at risk In a high profile way just ain’t going to happen. I imagine very few of the University Presidents (Like the posters on this board and most Americans) actually care about individual life, but they do care about the massive lawsuit and publicity from a death. We had our chance to make an impact in about April and missed it.

The people that have a stake spoke. No one listened to them. The same people that risk their limbs and joints on a daily basis.

What is this April crap? The virus does what the virus does. All you have to do is look at the charts of new cases and date of deaths charts. The virus spreads, like every other airborne virus and influenza spreads. It is a bell curve, when it is your season, you get covid. Look our for an outbreak of the virus in Feb-April in the northeast.

exactly - but we don't shut down for everything, just this

there is a risk/benefit analysis in everything

patient A may or may not get surgery for a life threatening condition depending on what hospital they present and what surgeon happens to be on call when they present

there is a risk/benefit analysis in everything

patient A may or may not get surgery for a life threatening condition depending on what hospital they present and what surgeon happens to be on call when they present

Safetyism is the cult of safety - an obsession with eliminating threats (both real and imagined) to the point at which people become unwilling to make reasonable trade-offs demanded by other practical and moral concerns

1GAAP

Are you rooting for the SEC, ACC, and big 12 seasons to be played? I’m mixed a side of me want to see season played and for big ten brand to be weakened because I can’t stand Kevin Warren. On the other hand, the sec especially already competes at a higher level and I don’t want to see the gap widened even further. Thoughts?
I am for the truth. Let them play. Let's watch 0% of the athletes have major Covid complications, and let's make damn sure this doesn't happen again. For those who wring their hands that an infected player might infect grand pappy, have player, and/or grand pappy wear a mask when together. Apparently those are a steel curtain that prevents all virus spread.

Last edited:

There is no virus lawsuit.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Many people here despise Bill Maher and Colin Cowherd. But if you happen to have access to last night's edition of Maher's HBO program, check it out. Those two have a very good conversation about how we should all be rooting for sports to successfully move forward.

But here you arguing with these guys nonetheless.

Reactions: leodisflowers
As I said above, it wasn't a real option. Obviously the entire big 10 isn't going to suddenly move their programs to club volleyball. It was more to point out how ridiculous it is that club teams can practice, travel and play (at least as of now), but varsity teams can not.
The club team having tryouts isn't a B1G affair. Club sports are not governed by the conference, so what UNL is doing with its club sports doesn't really matter.

Literally the exact same thing could happen with Influenza virus but we don't cancel football seasons for the flu. Myocarditis is a fairly common sequela to the flu.

I am for the truth. Let them play. Let's watch 0% of the athletes have major Covid complications, and let's make damn sure this doesn't happen again. For those who wring their hands that an infected player might infect grand pappy, have player, and/or grand pappy were a mask when together. Apparently those are a steel curtain that prevents all virus spread.
My wife cares for COVID patients every day. I'm 62 with asthma and on a T cell suppressing drug for an autoimmune disease. Yet when my kid who is living with us with classes cancelled took a job waiting tables in a tourist area, I was happy for her. She HAD to do something to get out and get some social interaction. Her friends are all in their college towns waiting for classes and hers is only letting incoming freshman on campus. Some people say we're being selfish for wanting kids to play football. I say some people are being selfish by NOT letting them play football and other sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT