ADVERTISEMENT

Sell the soul - Urban Meyer

Delusional. No established elite coach like Urban Meyer is going to set foot in Lincoln, because Lincoln is the single toughest Power 5 place to win. Recruiting alone makes Nebraska twice as challenging as any other school. Why would an elite coach go to Nebraska when there are way easier places to win in any given year?
Saying you can't recruit well to Lincoln Nebraska is so much BS. Callahan proved it can be done. Problem was he didn't want to fire his friend. Nebraska has everything a good football coach needs to be successful. Let's just stop all the nonsense about Nebraska not being able to field great football teams today. It's ridiculous. Trev just needs to find the right guy. Good grief, make it happen this time!

I wonder if our tradition holds us back now. Blackshirts, pipeline, old players/coaches, option, etc. When coaches try to fit our traditions in it may be a distraction. Maybe it would be nice to get a guy with no NU connection and for TO to enjoy his retirement.

Reactions: headcard
This is such a stupid take. Any ELITE coach would kill it at Nebraska. The Huskers are in the 2nd most prestigious football league in the country and plays in the extremely weak division in that conference. Nebraksa gives a coach every advantage imaginable and an elite coach would have absolutely no problem recruiting. If you think a coach like Meyer, Saban. Or Dabo would have problems recruiting to Nebraksa you're a complete moron. The only question is of Nebraksa would seriously pursue a coach like that and if one would want to live in Lincoln.
This is crazy. Take a 400 to 500 radius around Nebraska and then look at the HS football in that radius. Then take a look at the places Saban, Meyer and Dabo coach / have coached at and take a 500 mile radius. Kids - and their parents - prefer to play close to home - if possible - unless a school is a powerhouse that could possibly offer a pipeline to the NFL.

I'll use OSU as an example since that was Urban's last college stop. OSU basically gets 90% of the Ohio kids (strong HS football) they go after and the ones they don't offer / get are hugely disappointed. They than branch out to that 400 mile radius and go after them next. Believe me, they could field a B1G championship team with just those kids. Then kids come in and see Columbus Ohio and are blown away. OSU Is located a mile or so from downtown Columbus which now has an inner city population of around 950,000 and a surrounding (county) population of 2.3 million. Meyer even mentioned Ohio HS football when he took the OSU job plus it's his home state

Same with Dabo at Clemson and Saban at Alabama. Take a 400 mile radius and look at the tremendous HS football around them. No high-level coach, NC coach wants to take a HC job only to try and convince the majority of their big-time recruits - and parents - to travel hundreds and even thousands of miles to play football. Sorry, your only kidding yourself.

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
This is crazy. Take a 400 to 500 radius around Nebraska and then look at the HS football in that radius. Then take a look at the places Saban, Meyer and Dabo coach / have coached at and take a 500 mile radius. Kids - and their parents - prefer to play close to home - if possible - unless a school is a powerhouse that could possibly offer a pipeline to the NFL.

I'll use OSU as an example since that was Urban's last college stop. OSU basically gets 90% of the Ohio kids (strong HS football) they go after and the ones they don't offer / get are hugely disappointed. They than branch out to that 400 mile radius and go after them next. Believe me, they could field a B1G championship team with just those kids. Then kids come in and see Columbus Ohio and are blown away. OSU Is located a mile or so from downtown Columbus which now has an inner city population of around 950,000 and a surrounding (county) population of 2.3 million. Meyer even mentioned Ohio HS football when he took the OSU job plus it's his home state

Same with Dabo at Clemson and Saban at Alabama. Take a 400 mile radius and look at the tremendous HS football around them. No high-level coach, NC coach wants to take a HC job only to try and convince the majority of their big-time recruits - and parents - to travel hundreds and even thousands of miles to play football. Sorry, your only kidding yourself.

I take it that you're a moron. These guys would get elite talent at any program, so just stop.

I'll take Urban in a heartbeat as long as he doesn't bring his index finger with him.

I take it that you're a moron. These guys would get elite talent at any program, so just stop.
My point - if you're having a hard time understanding - is that a coach at that level and caliber would never take a job without a strong recruiting base. Who's really the moron ?

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Why would we not want Urban? He is a piece of shit, but the ****er wins games in college. I'm with you that there is no way he comes here, but if he even blinked our way we should say yes please.
He wouldn't represent the "Nebraska way." I don't know what I would do. I have issues with unethical people with character issues, so I'd likely pass. The powers that be at NU would never consider him. ...doesn't matter given he wouldn't come anyway.

He wouldn't represent the "Nebraska way." I don't know what I would do. I have issues with unethical people with character issues, so I'd likely pass. The powers that be at NU would never consider him. ...doesn't matter given he wouldn't come anyway.
His next CF stop - if there is one - will be either USC or Notre Dame if Kelly ever leaves. His two "dream" schools to coach were his home state OSU and he also loves ND

everyone has a price---what would it take---20 mil/yr for 5 years? would he take it? would you offer it?

Last edited:
Delusional. No established elite coach like Urban Meyer is going to set foot in Lincoln, because Lincoln is the single toughest Power 5 place to win. Recruiting alone makes Nebraska twice as challenging as any other school. Why would an elite coach go to Nebraska when there are way easier places to win in any given year?
Meyer could bring in any recruit to NU. Seriously, he's the only can't miss out there.

Reactions: ADV1
Lincoln is tougher than Vanderbilt? Kansas, Oregon State, Iowa State?

One positive is Frost showed you can recruit at a top 25 clip even without winning. Imagine if you won in Lincoln you could recruit top 15 and really become elite in the West. The right coach with the right vision could see this as a gold mine.

Reactions: cornhustler
Arguing past each other. Urban could get some top recruits here, but it'd probably take a fair bit more effort than it would in a better location. Does he want to actually put that kind of effort in at his last stop before retirement? Probably not.

The idea of a three year swan song deal is DOA. No Southern mom who Urban is trying to convince to get her son 1000 miles from home instead of 100 miles is going to send her son to play for a guy who won't even be there for his entire career.

Reactions: wolve1972
That's the biggest reason why Urban would never take the NU HC job. His obvious strength is recruiting and he has to have a strong recruiting base around the school. If, a big if, he takes another CF head coaching job, it will be in HS football rich states like Florida, Texas. California, Georgia, Ohio etc......
Utah?????

• Haha
Reactions: bigboxes
This is such a stupid take. Any ELITE coach would kill it at Nebraska. The Huskers are in the 2nd most prestigious football league in the country and plays in the extremely weak division in that conference. Nebraksa gives a coach every advantage imaginable and an elite coach would have absolutely no problem recruiting. If you think a coach like Meyer, Saban. Or Dabo would have problems recruiting to Nebraksa you're a complete moron. The only question is of Nebraksa would seriously pursue a coach like that and if one would want to live in Lincoln.
You deny being delusional, then spend four sentences proving it. Nebraska has had FIVE opportunities to hire an elite coach since 1997, and hasn't even come remotely close to anything that could be categorized as such.

"Nebraska gives a coach every advantage imaginable..." Massively delusional. What advantage does Nebraska have? It's middle-of-the-road facilities that look exactly like every other school? It's old stadium that takes 45 minutes to enter, an entire quarter to pee, and has more seats in the end zones than the sidelines? The winning tradition that disappeared four years before recruits were born? Loyal fans, who have as late been booing and leaving early? Media rights that everybody else has? Dull uniforms? Tired tunnel walk? World-class pheasant hunting???

The only two things that matter are money and a fertile recruiting base. Nebraska has the money, it definitely doesn't have the recruiting base. The state produces eight recruits a year, at best. There are single high schools in Texas that produce nearly that many in a given year. The surrounding states are devoid of talent as well. That means selling the snowy cornfields and riveting Lincoln nightlife to guys in California, Texas, and Florida.

Get ready to be really, really disappointed.

Meyer could bring in any recruit to NU. Seriously, he's the only can't miss out there.
Well he didn't go to Florida and then OSU because they had recruiting challenges. He went to those schools because they are smack dab in the middle of some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. You all act like getting top recruits to UNL is easy. It's not like any of these recruits know or care anything about Nebraska's history before they were born. Even Meyer would have a much tougher time getting 4 and 5 star kids to Lincoln than he did in FL and OSU because you lack the intrinsic advantages that they possess. Why would he want that when he could go to a USC or LSU and hit the ground running? He won't. Nobody like him would.

Reactions: wolve1972

Thanks for the rational, well articulated take. Pretty rare around here. We can’t offer more money than any other program that would be courting Urb…if he wanted to turn around a program he could go to FSU or Miami. Either way, he would get the accolades without the built in obstacles…oh and also he made us look like fools in the national media and said that he wouldn’t even consider taking the coaching job at Nebraska…back when the Nebraska job was 10x more attractive than it is now.

Well he didn't go to Florida and then OSU because they had recruiting challenges. He went to those schools because they are smack dab in the middle of some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. You all act like getting top recruits to UNL is easy. It's not like any of these recruits know or care anything about Nebraska's history before they were born. Even Meyer would have a much tougher time getting 4 and 5 star kids to Lincoln than he did in FL and OSU because you lack the intrinsic advantages that they possess. Why would he want that when he could go to a USC or LSU and hit the ground running? He won't. Nobody like him would.
It would be easier for Urban. Plus he would hire a good staff. I didn't say he would come here, I'm saying he's the only the only coach that is guaranteed to turn this around.

Meyer's name as a potential replacement coach would instantaneously put Nebraska at the top of a recruits list... Not saying he can phone it in but he's built his name and that means something... toss in some amazing recruiters to do the hard work with Urb as the closer and it's a lot better than most of you are making this out to be...

Also, like others have said... the recruiting thing is getting old... when you have Premier Name for a university, a Premier Coach, Premier facilities in a Premier league there's no reason anyone A) wouldn't jump at this coaching job opportunity B) wouldn't jump at the opportunity to play for that place as a recruit....

Callahan for all his issues proved we could recruit elite talent and i'd argue it's much easier today then when he was here...

You
You deny being delusional, then spend four sentences proving it. Nebraska has had FIVE opportunities to hire an elite coach since 1997, and hasn't even come remotely close to anything that could be categorized as such.

"Nebraska gives a coach every advantage imaginable..." Massively delusional. What advantage does Nebraska have? It's middle-of-the-road facilities that look exactly like every other school? It's old stadium that takes 45 minutes to enter, an entire quarter to pee, and has more seats in the end zones than the sidelines? The winning tradition that disappeared four years before recruits were born? Loyal fans, who have as late been booing and leaving early? Media rights that everybody else has? Dull uniforms? Tired tunnel walk? World-class pheasant hunting???

The only two things that matter are money and a fertile recruiting base. Nebraska has the money, it definitely doesn't have the recruiting base. The state produces eight recruits a year, at best. There are single high schools in Texas that produce nearly that many in a given year. The surrounding states are devoid of talent as well. That means selling the snowy cornfields and riveting Lincoln nightlife to guys in California, Texas, and Florida.

Get ready to be really, really disappointed.

Nebraska hasn't even tried to go after an elite coach.

Utah?????
He was an upstart coach at Utah and just starting to make a name for himself. His Utah success resulted in the Florida job - right in the middle of one of the top 2 or 3 HS recruiting bases in the country. We saw his recruiting results there. Do you really think he'll ever return to that kind of situation (Utah) again ? He's now established as one of the great CF coaches in history and will have his pick when the upper level jobs open up and you can bet that the one (if ever) he jumps on will have a strong recruiting base (that 400 mile radius)

Last edited:
The one school everyone is forgetting as a possibility is Florida. And yea back the Husker Brinks truck up to his driveway and I bet he’d point the driver towards the nearest interstate entrance.

Please just stop with the wishful thinking that he would ever come here. Taking the Jacksonville job was a huge career risk, why if the hell would he go for another career risk job in a row?

5ytkwb.gif

Trev. If you truly care about this place, make it happen.

based on how the last couple of decades have gone, I think it is pretty clear we bartered off our soul in exchange for ‘93-‘97

we have no more souls to give

A great coach could recruit top talent to nebraska. Bill callahan had the 5th ranked recruiting class in the country in 2005. Higher than any big ten team including ohio state and michigan. Just got to actually hire a great coach. Bo pelini won 9 games a year for seven seasons. Is Pelini a great coach? No, so a coach better than pelini will do just fine

There is still a 0% chance urban Meyer takes a job at Nebraska. I don’t understand why people can’t get this through their heads.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT