ADVERTISEMENT

SEC: Truly Pathetic

Badger Pete

Walk On
Dec 22, 2013
SEC just announced they are disbanding divisions in 2024 and only requiring 8 conference games. Add Texas and Oklahoma, but only require 8 conference games? Huh? You would think there is more money to gain by playing one more conference game than playing another Abilene Christian-like school in week 9 like they have been scheduling. (No offense to Abilene Christian).

the losers are certain to be furious about this bit of meaninglessness:

hate to see it RollingLaugh

Reactions: Redblood23
If you can manipulate your schedule to benefit your school, you have to do it!

For YEARS, TO and NU was ripped on for playing 9-10 lame ass games...**** it...wins matter, nothing else

If you can manipulate your schedule to benefit your school, you have to do it!

For YEARS, TO and NU was ripped on for playing 9-10 lame ass games...**** it...wins matter, nothing else
Loser B1G fans bring this up to this very day when ‘94, ‘95 and ‘97 are invoked

Big Ten fans think a close loss is impressive.

I am jealous that CU is going to get back to the Big 12...while NU will remain in a conference with teams that are scared to play night games.
Michigan been the only one crying about playing night games..

SEC is afraid to play one of their own teams in their conference the presidents should be ashamed of only playing 8 game schedule.

SEC just announced they are disbanding divisions in 2024 and only requiring 8 conference games. Add Texas and Oklahoma, but only require 8 conference games? Huh? You would think there is more money to gain by playing one more conference game.
If I understand the article correctly, the SEC would not get more money for playing a ninth SEC game and therein lies the problem.

I’m a little jealous. Wish we could go to 8. There really should be the same number of games across the power 5.
Feel the same way every other Power5 conferences play 9 shouldn’t be a problem with the SEC either especially now that Oklahoma and texass are in the conference .

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
For them it's all about the playoffs. Although I don't think they have much to worry about when the playoffs expand.

For them it's all about the playoffs. Although I don't think they have much to worry about when the playoffs expand.
This.@alumni put in another thread the SEC priority is playoffs thus the eight game conference schedule. For the Big the priority is Money thus the 9 game conference schedule.

Putting all the “best conference” discussion aside, this just sucks. As a fan I’d much rather see the SEC play 9 conference games.
The only way this would be ok is if they went back to an 11 game schedule, which I think they should do anyway, and go 8-1-1-1 across the board for scheduling.

8 conference, 1 power 5 OOC, 1 mid major, 1 fcs.
I know it’ll never happen.

With 12 games it should be 8-2-1-1.
But it’ll never happen.

Conferences are getting big enough where 9 makes more sense.

Michigan been the only one crying about playing night games..

SEC is afraid to play one of their own teams in their conference the presidents should be ashamed of only playing 8 game schedule.
If I was a fan of an SEC team I would HATE that late season game vs some lame dick school.

But they basically created a second bye week for themselves.

who do people think is more likely to be selected for the CFB playoffs?

a 10-2 SEC team playing 8 conf games or a 9-3 BIG ten playing 9 conf games?
9-3 SEC team or 8-4 BIG team?

Will the SEC make more money playing a 9 conf game schedule - NO (ESPN has already said they aren't paying more)

Is it harder or easier to have your teams in the the playoff or bowl games playing 8 or 9 conf games? - the answer is, unless changes are made, it is easier playing 8 - at present there is no downside

in a 4 lap race the BIG electively chooses to run 5 laps while the SEC runs 4 and people are pissed at the SEC

Reactions: Jaemekon

Will the SEC make more money playing a 9 conf game schedule - NO (ESPN has already said they aren't paying more)

Is it harder or easier to have your teams in the the playoff or bowl games playing 8 or 9 conf games? - the answer is, unless changes are made, it is easier playing 8 - at present there is no downside

in a 4 lap race the BIG electively chooses to run 5 laps while the SEC runs 4 and people are pissed at the SEC
let's not forget a B1G team lost to an FCS team at home last year (northwestern)

people acting like P5/conference games automatically means tougher are not intellectually honest

we play CU this year - their Vegas over/under is 3.5 wins. they'd get beat by dozens of non-P5 schools, yet here we are pounding our chests about the virtues of our schedule

If I was a fan of an SEC team I would HATE that late season game vs some lame dick school.

But they basically created a second bye week for themselves.
If you look at all the schedules their mostly playing all their non conference games to start the season and don’t have that second last game of the season playing a non power5 school…

If you look at all the schedules their mostly playing all their non conference games to start the season and don’t have that second last game of the season playing a non power5 school…
several B1G teams play northwestern in late oct/november

northwestern went 1-11 last year and lost to an FCS school at home

that is the exact same thing

Well the Big 12, ACC and PAC 12 are choosing to run 5 laps too.

Well the Big 12, ACC and PAC 12 are choosing to run 5 laps too.
yep - but until their is some penalty to running one fewer lap than everyone else then all those who choose to run an extra lap are chumps

all the ADs complaining about the SEC scheduling are really just highlighting how ineffective they have been at arguing the merits of playing extra power 5 games

• Love
yep - but until their is some penalty to running one fewer lap than everyone else then all those who choose to run an extra lap are chumps

all the ADs complaining about the SEC scheduling are really just highlighting how ineffective they have been at arguing the merits of playing extra power 5 games
So there lies the problem..The NCAA is worthless and won’t dictate one way or the other..

Until ESPN decides paying more for that ninth game the SEC has said as much they will only play 8 conference games…

So there we sit..

Last edited:
Has the SEC always played the cupcake game in November, or did that start around the BCS era to pad their stats before bowl selection?

Has the SEC always played the cupcake game in November, or did that start around the BCS era to pad their stats before bowl selection?
Using Alabama as one choice, it was not until 2004 when they played SEC teams in the month of November..So 2005 they’ve played one non power5 team in late November and lately it’s been before the Auburn game.

SEC just announced they are disbanding divisions in 2024 and only requiring 8 conference games. Add Texas and Oklahoma, but only require 8 conference games? Huh? You would think there is more money to gain by playing one more conference game than playing another Abilene Christian-like school in week 9 like they have been scheduling. (No offense to Abilene Christian).

they know how to use the system, if they can get away with it why not.

For the most part, they play their biggest rivals to close out the year

These non-con games come the week before

Helps prevent things like having to start Logan Smothers in the games their fans (and the rest of the nation) care most about

For the most part, they play their biggest rivals to close out the year

These non-con games come the week before

Helps prevent things like having to start Logan Smothers in the games their fans (and the rest of the nation) care most about
Not with in the conference..

Sour grapes. 8 games, 10 games, 12 games….doesn’t matter. They will still dominate the rest of college football.

Reactions: king_kong_
According to the Saturday down South schools that wanted to play 9 games.

Georgia
Florida
LSU
Missouri
Texas A&M

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT