ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage 2 notes

Just saw where Purdy and Sims both lost their QB battles and will be carrying clipboards this season. So all of last season's QBs will be backups this season.
Hardly a surprise. Last year's QB play was the difference between a winning season and a 5-7 season (yet despite those horrible turnover issues all but 1 of those 7 losses were still competitive). Those QB turnovers were just absolute gut-wrenching killers last year BUT it's time to move on this year with better QB performance. Think by now we've already covered and analyzed every possible aspect from last year so it's time to bury those problems from last year.

So you think Nebraska going to show any of their hand before the Colorado game?
38 seems little high for a program that hasn’t scored more than that only 7 times in 5 years.

UTEP may not even get in the end zone…
I do...NU needs to run the plays that they are going to also run against "good teams"

It is not like one game on film is going to really reveal all that much anyway.

Reactions: BleedRed78
tbf, Haarberg wasn't developed much as a QB in HS, had a coach on his way to being fired in first year, and was ghosted by his coach the next. Then last year he was pressed into service regardless of the fact he wasn't really ready to operate the passing aspects of the playbook. They shrunk the playbook to passes that would work for him and added some option offense, which suited his skills. In reality, Ron Brown and TO were probably as responsible for the offensive production we did get as much as Satt and Rhule.
Raiola and Kaelin are more suited to do the things Satt and Rhule want done.

I understand all the reasons HH is who he is. I won't even debate that. All I'm saying is "he is who he is" I guess. Imo that's not a legit D1 QB. Great kid for sure but he doesn't inspire confidence from me to be perfectly honest. Simply based on what I've seen and what I think our coaches wanna run.

Holla

I understand all the reasons HH is who he is. I won't even debate that. All I'm saying is "he is who he is" I guess. Imo that's not a legit D1 QB. Great kid for sure but he doesn't inspire confidence from me to be perfectly honest. Simply based on what I've seen and what I think our coaches wanna run.

Holla
Unless HH is named the starter, the debate about his QB skills doesn't really matter any more. It's been done thoroughly already and now it's like beating a dead horse at this point. They will find a role for HH that fits his talents and gets him on the field but it is NOT the starting QB.

If Ervin gets more than 5 carries in the game he will probably be injured and lost for the season.
What happened to Dante Dowdell? He had a pretty good spring game, but I haven't heard much about him since. Then again, I haven't been reading every possible thing that's been happening with the team since then, so maybe I missed somthing.

What happened to Dante Dowdell? He had a pretty good spring game, but I haven't heard much about him since. Then again, I haven't been reading every possible thing that's been happening with the team since then, so maybe I missed somthing.
He's been getting some mentions recently. Based on all of the comments on the running game there is no one standing out and so if you go show out in a game, there is a chance you could win the job. Looks like the Johnsons will probably be the first two with Gabe and Dowdell possibly getting some time.

He's been getting some mentions recently. Based on all of the comments on the running game there is no one standing out and so if you go show out in a game, there is a chance you could win the job. Looks like the Johnsons will probably be the first two with Gabe and Dowdell possibly getting some time.
Even though he was all everything in Minnesota, I was unimpressed with Johnson's high school film. But, that kid is really quick.

Reactions: dinglefritz
No idea. He looks slow to me. But what do I know?

Dowdell is a big kid with an ability to run hard. I assume he still is learning how to run smart. And he has less familiarity with the playbook than the others. He’s essentially the second big back behind Gabe and I would think they might redshirt him unless Gabe gets injured..

Holla
How many backup QBs other than Brook have inspired confidence? Not many. I believe with a year under his belt now that Haarberg could win some games for us if need be. I have more faith in him than Kaelin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT