ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage 2 notes

Even more important is to look at Rhule's previous college teams. First year was never good while he was installing his culture but marked improvements followed in the subsequent years. There's no reason to believe it won't follow that same pattern in Lincoln.
His Baylor offense seemed to have some juice. I know Nixon was heavily involved in that, but Rhule picked the OC's.

Mods - it appears Jeff Ross has hacked this man’s account!

What a roast!
00355a5cfcf97d4ffcf00469320f467a.gif

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
Am I the only person who tired of hearing this? His record was 52-50 if I am not mistaken. There are too many variables including the leagues he was in. It’s like the stock market, past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

Why would you be tired of hearing this? It is why we hired him.

Yes his overall record is 52-50, but it is also 44-22 after year one and 31-10 after year two.

While there are no guarantees, past performance is the best indicator of future success.

Last edited:
Yep and hopefully we stick it to UTEP because if we look meh again.... Natives are going to be pissy right away.
I doubt we will look like a well oiled offense in that opening game. The whole team will be both excited and nervous. Raiola will have first game jitters and issues. Offensive line still needs to gel together in real game situations. QB and wide receivers still have to work on timing in a real game situation. Running backs need to shake off the rust of injuries.

Osborne always said your biggest improvement comes between games one and two. I hope so. I expect a defensive game against UTEP and an ugly win. And hopefully our offense comes out with more confidence and efficiency against CU. I will be at the CU game. I want to beat them so badly I can’t even describe it. I hate CU. But it will be a dogfight.

I doubt we will look like a well oiled offense in that opening game. The whole team will be both excited and nervous. Raiola will have first game jitters and issues. Offensive line still needs to gel together in real game situations. QB and wide receivers still have to work on timing in a real game situation. Running backs need to shake off the rust of injuries.

Osborne always said your biggest improvement comes between games one and two. I hope so. I expect a defensive game against UTEP and an ugly win. And hopefully our offense comes out with more confidence and efficiency against CU. I will be at the CU game. I want to beat them so badly I can’t even describe it. I hate CU. But it will be a dogfight.
TO might have said that, but most of his teams still performed at a damn high level in the first game. I agree there are going to be some hiccups, but we can't also come out and look like last year where we struggle to do anything right on O. There has to be solid progress shown because that O was so bad last year.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
TO might have said that, but most of his teams still performed at a damn high level in the first game. I agree there are going to be some hiccups, but we can't also come out and look like last year where we struggle to do anything right on O. There has to be solid progress shown because that O was so bad last year.
We played in a bunch of kickoff classics against good teams. Needed to be ready. Biggest thing with TO teams was the option...timing.

Reactions: Truewooper
All new schemes were installed last season. The Defense is typically ahead of the offense. Osborne's teams didn't install a new offense for a couple decades. That makes a difference. Even though we have a new QB, I fully expect our offense to be better in game 1 than they were a year ago. I doubt they will look like a well-oiled machine, but better than MN last year.

All new schemes were installed last season. The Defense is typically ahead of the offense. Osborne's teams didn't install a new offense for a couple decades. That makes a difference. Even though we have a new QB, I fully expect our offense to be better in game 1 than they were a year ago. I doubt they will look like a well-oiled machine, but better than MN last year.
and that is my point. If that offense looks like Minnesota last year.... It doesn't have to be a massive jump, but it has to look better than last year or people are going to turn on Satt in a hurry

Scotty is a young hungry coach. He'll have that team ready to go. UTEP game won't be decided in the first half.
On paper, NU is a 28 point favorite but UTEP will run a snap every 14 seconds like Tennessee does, so the D will have to be on their toes. A team running a play every 14 seconds doesn't give much time for those helmets with a microphone much help. They also use multiple defenses, so they're gonna give DR some interesting looks to adjust to.

Last year when Scotty was at Austin Peay, at halftime they were tied 6-6 against Tennessee, so Huskers better be ready and take care of the ball. That's the same stuff TO would be talking about if he were still the head coach, in order to tamp down expectations of an easy opponent.

Physically, NU should whip the shit out of them, but until NU shows what it has, we're still that 5-7 team trying to find out not only how to win, but win convincingly.

These young head coaches, you just never know how good or bad they are. He could be the next Frost unable to make the move from G5 to P5, or he could be the next Urban Meyer moving from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida. Probably the first instance, but many great ones have come out of nowhere.

Regardless, I expect the Husker defense to completely smother them.

Last edited:
I agree, Satt was good at adjusting the offense to the player's capabilities. And despite a bad overall record which of course no one is satisfied with, the fact is there were a lot of very close losses and the team was competitive in those games with Michigan being the exception.

Couldn’t disagree more.

I’m not sure anyone wouldn’t have called more QB running plays like Satt did. It was an obvious “go to” when you have someone with HH skill set. A high school coach who lost his drop back passer to injury and now has a running QB as backup would do the same.

The issue I have are the feeble amount of points actually scored. We had an absolutely pathetic offense last season. The close games we lost were because our defense gave up very few points and our offense managed to score even less.

Im not a fan of Satterfield AT ALL. Raiola might be a band aid to Satt’s lack of ability but I wonder if we will ever truly maximize DRs ability here.

Rhule is a GREAT college HC in my opinion. But Satterfield is his one Achilles heel imo.

I’m with ya buddy, hope you didn’t fork out $ 385 for game tickets like me and 3 of my buddies did last year in Boulder..

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I agree. We need to look better than we did last year. Which means, first off, that we win the f$cking game! 😂 But last year’s standards set a pretty low bar and it won’t be too hard to show improvement over the Sims comedy show we saw first game last year.
All that said… Raiola might be the clone of Mahomes and the second coming of Brady. But he is a true freshman playing in his first game. Maybe he surprises me and comes out looking like a polished veteran. But I doubt it. We will win because he will make some great plays. But I think he, and the rest of the offense, will make some drive killing mistakes that will cause the offense to sputter.

I’m with ya buddy, hope you didn’t fork out $ 385 for game tickets like me and 3 of my buddies did last year in Boulder..
My sister got us tickets. I don’t know how much she bought them for. She won’t tell me! Ha. That means she probably spent too much. All I know is if we lose to those asshats again I am going to have to be institutionalized.

Couldn’t disagree more.

I’m not sure anyone wouldn’t have called more QB running plays like Satt did. It was an obvious “go to” when you have someone with HH skill set. A high school coach who lost his drop back passer to injury and now has a running QB as backup would do the same.

The issue I have are the feeble amount of points actually scored. We had an absolutely pathetic offense last season. The close games we lost were because our defense gave up very few points and our offense managed to score even less.

Im not a fan of Satterfield AT ALL. Raiola might be a band aid to Satt’s lack of ability but I wonder if we will ever truly maximize DRs ability here.

Rhule is a GREAT college HC in my opinion. But Satterfield is his one Achilles heel imo.
Could be the same as COZ was to Callahan. Probably gets over the hump if he dumps an underperforming friend.

Reactions: HUSKERBILL
On paper, NU is a 28 point favorite but UTEP will run a snap every 14 seconds like Tennessee does, so the D will have to be on their toes. A team running a play every 14 seconds doesn't give much time for those helmets with a microphone much help. They also use multiple defenses, so they're gonna give DR some interesting looks to adjust to.

Last year when Scotty was at Austin Peay, at halftime they were tied 6-6 against Tennessee, so Huskers better be ready and take care of the ball. That's the same stuff TO would be talking about if he were still the head coach, in order to tamp down expectations of an easy opponent.

Physically, NU should whip the shit out of them, but until NU shows what it has, we're still that 5-7 team trying to find out not only how to win, but win convincingly.

These young head coaches, you just never know how good or bad they are. He could be the next Frost unable to make the move from G5 to P5, or he could be the next Urban Meyer moving from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida. Probably the first instance, but many great ones have come out of nowhere.

Great post.

Hurry up offense and hopefully several 3 and outs could make for a scoring explosion for the Huskers. Hurry up offense only good if you move the chains

Freshman QB.

Why would you be tired of hearing this? It is why we hired him.

Yes his overall record is 52-50, but it is also 44-22 after year one and 31-10 after year two.

While there are no guarantees, past performance is the best indicator of future success.

Based on the rebuild of two different teams.

Could be the same as COZ was to Callahan. Probably gets over the hump if he dumps an underperforming friend.
He did get rid of Evan Cooper and I believe he trusted him implicitly when it came to recruits. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you about Satt, but I do trust Rhule to do what needs to be done to win.

Evan Cooper got rid of himself. Rhules hands were tied
Fair enough. But have missed something in MR's press conferences that would lead you to believe that he won't do what he feels needs to be done to win? Maybe I'm just drinking the Kool-Aid too much, but I'm all in on MR being the coach that will bring us back to, at least, national relevance.

Don't sleep on this kid, I know he played on a lower level but he just has that "it" factor. Saw him live a couple times and was very impressed!!
I know a few people that saw him play multiple times that say he is legit. And obviously his school was very disappointed when he transferred to us. Kid is one of those guys that just makes plays. From what I have heard we will be better off it he comes in to the game then Purdy.

Reactions: RedMyMind

I don't think they need to be well oiled to blow the doors off UTEP. Our defense might have a lapse or 2 and give up a few plays but there's just no way UTEP is going to be able to run the ball forcing them to pass or gadget plays resulting in quick possessions and our offense on the field ALOT.

Hurry up offense and hopefully several 3 and outs could make for a scoring explosion for the Huskers. Hurry up offense only good if you move the chains
Exactly. If they run a play every 14 seconds there are going to be many times where our offense barely sits down on the bench and they will be running back out onto the field.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Osborne always said your biggest improvement comes between games one and two. I hope so. I expect a defensive game against UTEP and an ugly win.
The question I always had with that saying about improvement is that it applies to both teams. So Nebraska SHOULD improve from game 1 to 2 and so should everyone else.

I do believe younger players, especially in skilled positions will generally improve more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT