ADVERTISEMENT

Satterfield

Speaking of overreaction, I think a lot of you (not you specifically) are getting your panties in a wad over criticism.

Folks can be concerned with some of Satterfield’s play calling without wanting to “clean house” or “looking for things to complain about.”

Rhule himself said he was displeased that UNI was the more physical football team, and that they have a lot of things to clean up.

That’s pretty much what I was saying. That and I think Satt may be a problem, but I guess time will tell.
'
It’s a lot better to talk about these things after a 34-3 win than after a loss.
Satterfield may be the best OC we've had since Tom retired but it's a work in progress with crappy QB play last year and a freshman this year. Hard to compare apples to oranges. I liked a lot of the stuff Tim Beck did considering what he had to work with talent wise but Satterfield has a lot going on now with misdirection and a wide range of looks for defenses to prepare for. Regardless of all the Callahan hate, his passing game was big time. Just didn't care much for Bill's run game scheme. Having a QB that can buy time in the pocket and hit open receivers is a huge plus. Coaches always talk about the "process" and I like the development and progression I think I'm seeing from Satterfield's offense. No doubt Thomas helps.

Satterfield may be the best OC we've had since Tom retired but it's a work in progress with crappy QB play last year and a freshman this year. Hard to compare apples to oranges. I liked a lot of the stuff Tim Beck did considering what he had to work with talent wise but Satterfield has a lot going on now with misdirection and a wide range of looks for defenses to prepare for. Regardless of all the Callahan hate, his passing game was big time. Just didn't care much for Bill's run game scheme. Having a QB that can buy time in the pocket and hit open receivers is a huge plus. Coaches always talk about the "process" and I like the development and progression I think I'm seeing from Satterfield's offense. No doubt Thomas helps.
They’ve been pretty vanilla through 3 games. In the run game we’ve only been running either duo or a wide zone run, possibly a counter or two. Point being I don’t even think they’ve scratched the surface.

Reactions: Huzkers25
The staff had three games to see what they have in terms of playmakers before the conference season. They knew the QB could deliver the ball just about anywhere on the field and they now know they have multiple kids to throw to. They have found lots of options: Neyor, Banks, Barney, Bonner, Lloyd, Nelson, Fidone, Bork, plus packages for Haarberg and Bullock is also reliable. The Johnson's are also options out of the backfield. I doubt either Rhule or Satt have had that depth of receiving talent at the college level. The run game has been efficient, averaging 4.9 ypc. And Raiola has shown that he has the ability to take off on a QB run, and packages exist for Haarberg in the run game. There isn't really a go-to guy in either the run or throw game and that may be an advantage. On any third down, who does the opposing D try to lock down? Neyor and Banks have to receive attention, but defenders will have an eye on someone like Rahmir or EJ, Barney or Nelson. If Haarberg is lined up as a receiver, he will draw a defender's attention.
That's enough talent to stay with any team on the schedule.
Maybe Satt has too many options 🤔 😉

Reactions: leodisflowers
They’ve been pretty vanilla through 3 games. In the run game we’ve only been running either duo or a wide zone run, possibly a counter or two. Point being I don’t even think they’ve scratched the surface.
I agree that there's probably a lot more in the playbook but we've done a fair amount of misdirection with jet sweeps etc. We've had some pretty interesting play calls to get the ball to Barney on the perimeter. Couple that with some I formation, Haarberg at QB and split out and you have the potential for some gadget play double passes etc. I think our inside run game looks like a big boy NFL run scheme that doesn't rely on the QB but then you have Raiola showing he can pull the ball and get you a first down. There's a lot on video already for a DC to prepare for.

I agree that there's probably a lot more in the playbook but we've done a fair amount of misdirection with jet sweeps etc. We've had some pretty interesting play calls to get the ball to Barney on the perimeter. Couple that with some I formation, Haarberg at QB and split out and you have the potential for some gadget play double passes etc. I think our inside run game looks like a big boy NFL run scheme that doesn't rely on the QB but then you have Raiola showing he can pull the ball and get you a first down. There's a lot on video already for a DC to prepare for.
I remember an early season game where TMart literally just ran around the end of the engaged linemen for a TD. When asked about it after the game, he said he didn't see a defender on that side, so he just ran that way. Raiola is a good enough athlete to scoot for a first down in a similar situation. The special offensive talent on the team is young - Raiola, Barney, and Nelson. Imagine those three in 2 years.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not sure I follow you.... you think ISU "may" be able to make a case that they're better than UNI? Maybe I missed something here.
I see my post was missing the word “best”, it was just a comment about the best college football team coming out of iowa, it’s definitely between UNI and Iowa State, although ISUs weak schedule makes their argument less effective.

I agree, and I think those misdirections are meant to also put something on tape to open up more runs up the middle.

I think they've been vanilla but have also tried to force other teams hands to prepare for a ton of options. We haven't really seen any considerable RPO and that was what was being talked about all fall camp.

I guess I'm not technically savvy enough to understand all the nuances of play calling, but I do get a nagging feeling when something is "wrong". Early this season I didn't feel good about the backs rotating so much, the receiver downfield blocking and the FG and KO return defense teams. But so far this year I HAVE NOT been chewing the paint off the walls wondering why Satterfield called the plays the way he did. I think he is doing a good job unlike almost all the Scott Frost games and some of Satt's games last year (e.g. Minnesota). Luckily at least we have settled on two backs and the receivers blocked well Saturday. Jury still out on special teams. I could quickly change my mind about Satterfield if NU starts losing and the offense starts getting shut down.

I guess I'm not technically savvy enough to understand all the nuances of play calling, but I do get a nagging feeling when something is "wrong". Early this season I didn't feel good about the backs rotating so much, the receiver downfield blocking and the FG and KO return defense teams. But so far this year I HAVE NOT been chewing the paint off the walls wondering why Satterfield called the plays the way he did. I think he is doing a good job unlike almost all the Scott Frost games and some of Satt's games last year (e.g. Minnesota). Luckily at least we have settled on two backs and the receivers blocked well Saturday. Jury still out on special teams. I could quickly change my mind about Satterfield if NU starts losing and the offense starts getting shut down.
Like most of us, you won't relax until you see them prove it in the B1G. We must not forget that while he's a mature beyond his years that Dylan is still a freshman. There's likely going to be some bumps in the road this year. We are in fact running an NFL offense and he's doing it great so far.

Like most of us, you won't relax until you see them prove it in the B1G. We must not forget that while he's a mature beyond his years that Dylan is still a freshman. There's likely going to be some bumps in the road this year. We are in fact running an NFL offense and he's doing it great so far.
I do think it's a tad bit telling that Satt threw the ball more than he ran it against UNI, only to turn around and say he takes pride in being the more physical team in the 4th quarter.

I just don't think he can help himself. he wants to throw the ball. we're not all that imposing up front and our QB is our best player. I get it.

time will tell if this is a recipe for high-level success (history says no).

I do think it's a tad bit telling that Satt threw the ball more than he ran it against UNI, only to turn around and say he takes pride in being the more physical team in the 4th quarter.

I just don't think he can help himself. he wants to throw the ball. we're not all that imposing up front and our QB is our best player. I get it.

time will tell if this is a recipe for high-level success (history says no).
We can't be sure how many of those pass plays were our QB audibling in to them from a run call either though. We know he has that ability and freedom to do it. Most of those pass plays were very conservative pass calls. It's not like we were chucking 50/50 balls deep every other play.

We can't be sure how many of those pass plays were our QB audibling in to them from a run call either though. We know he has that ability and freedom to do it. Most of those pass plays were very conservative pass calls. It's not like we were chucking 50/50 balls deep every other play.
I don't have an issue with it, per se.

you do what you can with what you have. and Rhule isn't shy when he disagrees.

we are a pass-first team. people just have to accept it for this year, at least.

I have.

I don't have an issue with it, per se.

you do what you can with what you have. and Rhule isn't shy when he disagrees.

we are a pass-first team. people just have to accept it for this year, at least.

I have.
Nothing wrong with being pass first if you can get a complementary running game and a QB that can run it.

I like it more, and its more sustainable than running a QB 30 times a game.

Reactions: king_kong_
We're running the ball 55% of the time versus 45% passing...
it's 53/47

and that's with all 3 of our games being well in hand at the half

I don't think we:

A.) can run the ball

or

B.) want to run the ball

it is what it is. we're a pass-first team.

it's 53/47

and that's with all 3 of our games being well in hand at the half

I don't think we:

A.) can run the ball

or

B.) want to run the ball

it is what it is. we're a pass-first team.

i saw 55/45 on two different places, but admit maybe they were not up to date?

53/47 is good though right? since we have a competent QB? ...and i'm not sure our running game is all that. ...and it feels like most of our passes are pretty short adnd safe, it isn't like DR is airing it out when he does pass...though i've not look at the percentages of passes past, say...10 yards, its just how I think i'm seeing the game being called.

i saw 55/45 on two different places, but admit maybe they were not up to date?

53/47 is good though right? since we have a competent QB? ...and i'm not sure our running game is all that. ...and it feels like most of our passes are pretty short adnd safe, it isn't like DR is airing it out when he does pass...though i've not look at the percentages of passes past, say...10 yards, its just how I think i'm seeing the game being called.
with our schedule and our HC's focus on physical football, that run/pass ratio pretty low.

but this is what satt wants to do.

it is what it is and I hope one day to be able to run the football against good teams because that's what we'll need to do to win championships.

with our schedule and our HC's focus on physical football, that run/pass ratio pretty low.

but this is what satt wants to do.

it is what it is and I hope one day to be able to run the football against good teams because that's what we'll need to do to win championships.

i think our run game is a paper tiger, so i'm cool with the passes, especially with our qb.

Reactions: king_kong_
i think our run game is a paper tiger, so i'm cool with the passes, especially with our qb.
I think we could actually have a good run game. We have the backs to do it and the OL is serviceable. My problem is you can literally tell where when and where we are going to run it. Our OL isn't built for that. Now, we can argue that we've been very vanilla, etc. At some point we need to be less predictable. With that said, I do like when they get Barney and Lloyd involved in the run game. They've timed it right a few times.

I did some small HS coaching and called plays at the JV level. It is the most difficult thing I have ever tried. I also have friends and coaches who have called plays at the small college level and talked with other coaches. Still, I only know enough to be dangerous and each OC/HC will have a different take on it. All this is general and not necessarily specific to Nebraska because I do not know.

During the prep week you watch film and see where teams line up, how they line up and find a weak area. They will all have some tendencies even if it is so slight as to go to zone on 3rd and 8 or whatever. So you build a list of plays that you believe should work given their personnel and alignment. You practice them and you may also change up some blocking schemes of the same plays you have been running all year. At the varsity level we changed blocking schemes at halftime, same play but it was blocked differently and therefore looked differently. I would get a kick out of fans who would say, why were you not running that play before, we were.

During the game, the OC will generally call two plays, a pass and a run anticipating what the D might look like. Then the QB comes to the line and generally reads the safeties. Two deep generally calls for a run, single high, generally a pass. The QB can go between the plays or even switch completely out of whatever the OC sent in if they see something totally different.

What then happens is the D catches on that the play was changed or anticipates it and jumps into something different at the last second and blows things up at times. During all of this the OL is calling out blitz pickups and blocking schemes, usually the center. The WR's are communicating with the QB as well based on positioning of the DB and other variables. The WR has to be able to read the D and alter routes which is what killed us last year with the young guys.

If anyone in the mix misses a call or assignment, things can go south in a hurry. The average person would be totally amazed at the amount of information that is passed between all these people in a just a few seconds. With the radios in helmets the play gets directly to the QB and he can get to the line and start changing or stay much sooner.

All this is why, even as a coach, I didn't get all bent out of shape when a QB changed the play, he did as he was told based on what he saw at the time. Not every play works, that is just reality and I don't understand those that question EVERY call that doesn't seem to work.

As for counters, I don't know a single offense that doesn't use them. I know coaches who run the veer (blast from the past) and they even leave tackles completely unblocked at times. Watch when the O line pulls to one side but the play goes to the area they just vacated. LBs are sometimes taught to follow the pulling guard who will lead them to the hole. There is misdirection all of the time! Nothing new under the sun. Getting into the right play and executing seems to make play callers much smarter.

I did some small HS coaching and called plays at the JV level. It is the most difficult thing I have ever tried. I also have friends and coaches who have called plays at the small college level and talked with other coaches. Still, I only know enough to be dangerous and each OC/HC will have a different take on it. All this is general and not necessarily specific to Nebraska because I do not know.

During the prep week you watch film and see where teams line up, how they line up and find a weak area. They will all have some tendencies even if it is so slight as to go to zone on 3rd and 8 or whatever. So you build a list of plays that you believe should work given their personnel and alignment. You practice them and you may also change up some blocking schemes of the same plays you have been running all year. At the varsity level we changed blocking schemes at halftime, same play but it was blocked differently and therefore looked differently. I would get a kick out of fans who would say, why were you not running that play before, we were.

During the game, the OC will generally call two plays, a pass and a run anticipating what the D might look like. Then the QB comes to the line and generally reads the safeties. Two deep generally calls for a run, single high, generally a pass. The QB can go between the plays or even switch completely out of whatever the OC sent in if they see something totally different.

What then happens is the D catches on that the play was changed or anticipates it and jumps into something different at the last second and blows things up at times. During all of this the OL is calling out blitz pickups and blocking schemes, usually the center. The WR's are communicating with the QB as well based on positioning of the DB and other variables. The WR has to be able to read the D and alter routes which is what killed us last year with the young guys.

If anyone in the mix misses a call or assignment, things can go south in a hurry. The average person would be totally amazed at the amount of information that is passed between all these people in a just a few seconds. With the radios in helmets the play gets directly to the QB and he can get to the line and start changing or stay much sooner.

All this is why, even as a coach, I didn't get all bent out of shape when a QB changed the play, he did as he was told based on what he saw at the time. Not every play works, that is just reality and I don't understand those that question EVERY call that doesn't seem to work.

As for counters, I don't know a single offense that doesn't use them. I know coaches who run the veer (blast from the past) and they even leave tackles completely unblocked at times. Watch when the O line pulls to one side but the play goes to the area they just vacated. LBs are sometimes taught to follow the pulling guard who will lead them to the hole. There is misdirection all of the time! Nothing new under the sun. Getting into the right play and executing seems to make play callers much smarter.
good counter action here in the quick screen game:

We’ll said and thanks for sharing, you’re clearly are a cut above most on this board for football IQ.

I wonder if our deep personnel allow us to me more of an Chamaeleon type of offense this year… depending whom we play week and week out. Don’t get me wrong we want to pound the rock and be balanced but I think versus last year where we were simply “don’t throw a pick or fumble” we’re light years ahead and can beat you with running or throwing.

I enjoy the times where I get to watch a former coach or player diagnose what was going on with any given play. There's a ton of moving parts in the college game and one guy screwing up or making a play can make all the difference in an outcome.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT