ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin to Florida?

I know Penn State fans out here in PA are very lukewarm about Franklin. Most of them would be happy if he took another job and left on his own. There would be no buyout and if you fire a guy who wins 9 or 10 a year you have your own problems in hiring someone new. So yes, PSU fans are probably praying that Napier gets fired and they hire Franklin.

Why would Kiff leave Ole Miss?

That is a great job with no real pressure and he can get paid the same there as he would at UF. I don't think people realize how lame Ole Miss FB has been for the last 100 year. They have only been decent in the last 15 years or so...that is a nice chill laid back gig that pays great and has easy recruiting.

Probably fed to the media by Franklin's allies, looking for an easy raise. BTW - if this season continues to go well Nebraska is going to need to give Rhule a raise asap. It's embarrassing some of the names that make more than him in this conference.
Rhule's year 1 salary was pretty middle of the pack, but his contract provides for pretty lucrative annual escalations - he's up to $8.5 mil by 2026 and $10 mil by 2027 which I think would rank him pretty high in the BG10. Guessing a back end loaded deal with NU was a tax planning strategy given the huge buyout he got from Carolina. No one likes to pay income taxes, not even rich football coaches.

Probably fed to the media by Franklin's allies, looking for an easy raise. BTW - if this season continues to go well Nebraska is going to need to give Rhule a raise asap. It's embarrassing some of the names that make more than him in this conference.
Wasn't his contract back-loaded to get a bit more money out of Carolina?

We can only hope Rhule is being truthful when he says he wants to be here a long time. I know his track record is to keep moving, but I'm hopeful we got him at a good time. He now knows he's not a pro-coach and what resources he has here. Those resources will explode if he starts winning. His family seems to love it and I think he wants to raise his young daughters here.

Time will tell.

We can only hope Rhule is being truthful when he says he wants to be here a long time. I know his track record is to keep moving, but I'm hopeful we got him at a good time. He now knows he's not a pro-coach and what resources he has here. Those resources will explode if he starts winning. His family seems to love it and I think he wants to raise his young daughters here.

Time will tell.
I agree … the moves he made before were not destinations. Temple??? Baylor??? If he starts winning no one could outbid us for his services so the only reason to leave is lack of support (if something were to change) or sentimental connection (psu).

IMO, idk if Rhule leaves when he’s set to have maybe the top QB in college football for the next 2 years. I would be nervous if Penn St took Tony White though. I feel like that’s an amazing school for him to land at and succeed, assuming they bring in a big time OC like Joe Brady

I know Penn State fans out here in PA are very lukewarm about Franklin. Most of them would be happy if he took another job and left on his own. There would be no buyout and if you fire a guy who wins 9 or 10 a year you have your own problems in hiring someone new. So yes, PSU fans are probably praying that Napier gets fired and they hire Franklin.
Oh come on man! It's easy to hire a really good coach when you fire a guy who wins 9-10 a year!

Reactions: Huskers123456
IMO, idk if Rhule leaves when he’s set to have maybe the top QB in college football for the next 2 years. I would be nervous if Penn St took Tony White though. I feel like that’s an amazing school for him to land at and succeed, assuming they bring in a big time OC like Joe Brady
He could always take that QB with him.

At this point, don’t care if Rhule left because then Tony could step in
I love Tony White do not get me wrong when I say this... Matt Rhule knows how build a team and manage the Coaches and Athlete's better than anyone we have ever had. White is a fantastic defensive coach, but an unproven head coach

Brent Venebles
Dave Aranda
Will Muschamp

It's always interesting that people who write articles just pull out of thin air names for a potential coaching vacancy and make it sound like they have some type of inside information. There's a chance he could be the guy, but there's a equal chance it could be 100 other guys.
Dylan isn’t here for Rhule. He’s here for NU. He just wasn’t willing to play for a dumpster fire. He isn’t leaving

Time will tell.

I think he’s done with the NFL. But… PSU opening up would make me nervous. IMO, I’d put the Franklin to Florida rumors at <1% right now. Florida can’t miss on another coach and Franklin doesn’t strike me as a “can’t miss” hire, especially in this new SEC.

PSU has hired 2 coaches in the last 58 years. Its almost hard to speculate on what they'd do if Franklin left, but my guess is they'd be looking for a proven commodity.

I love Tony White do not get me wrong when I say this... Matt Rhule knows how build a team and manage the Coaches and Athlete's better than anyone we have ever had. White is a fantastic defensive coach, but an unproven head coach

Brent Venebles
Dave Aranda
Will Muschamp
Yeah, agree. And I didn’t phrase that well… I meant that if Rhule left (very unlikely IMO), we have a person that could step in without us having to go through a huge process to find the next guy because it does seem White wants to be a HC.
Would he be a good HC? Don’t know for sure.
And none of us want Rhule to move on at this point when his trajectory is up right now.

I really don’t think Rhule would leave, his son is at NU, he is just settling in now, and he sees how awesome it is to coach here.

I have been alive over 50 years now and in that time Nebraska has never had a head football coach leave voluntarily except to retire.

It's always interesting that people who write articles just pull out of thin air names for a potential coaching vacancy and make it sound like they have some type of inside information. There's a chance he could be the guy, but there's a equal chance it could be 100 other guys.

I’ll just say this. I used to live in Florida, Gator county, and many of my friends are Gator fans. While right now they’d take house plant over Napier, they would be underwhelmed with a Franklin hire. Not sure I agree them, I think he s pretty good coach, but you can’t really argue the fact he’s never won anything of substance. Bo Pelini had a 6-7 year stint at Nebraska that looks a lot like Franklin’s time at PSU. On paper…

Reactions: king_kong_

Brent Venebles
Dave Aranda
Will Muschamp
Ever had? Tom Osborne was pretty good at this too.

I don't know why Florida would settle for Franklin. he hasn't exactly set the world on fire IMO.
Florida could probably not do any better than coaxing Chris Peterson out of retirement. He's been really good where ever he's coached.

When he stepped down from Washington he said he needed to refresh. Maybe he's done coaching, he's only late 50's, been there and done that and may have one more good run in him.

He's like 137-48 at Boise and Washington. Florida could do a lot worse.

I’ll just say this. I used to live in Florida, Gator county, and many of my friends are Gator fans. While right now they’d take house plant over Napier, they would be underwhelmed with a Franklin hire. Not sure I agree them, I think he s pretty good coach, but you can’t really argue the fact he’s never won anything of substance. Bo Pelini had a 6-7 year stint at Nebraska that looks a lot like Franklin’s time at PSU. On paper…

Yeah they’ll all want Saban or Urban to come out of retirement like every fan base. But they’ll take a Franklin level guy and they’ll like it. Until they don’t.

Reactions: V-Doub
Rhule's year 1 salary was pretty middle of the pack, but his contract provides for pretty lucrative annual escalations - he's up to $8.5 mil by 2026 and $10 mil by 2027 which I think would rank him pretty high in the BG10. Guessing a back end loaded deal with NU was a tax planning strategy given the huge buyout he got from Carolina. No one likes to pay income taxes, not even rich football coaches.
Contracts can be amended too. I will have to look but thought his buyout was pretty steep

Who was the last head football coach to voluntarily leave Nebraska other than for retirement? It’s been since before 1960

Why would Kiff leave Ole Miss?

That is a great job with no real pressure and he can get paid the same there as he would at UF. I don't think people realize how lame Ole Miss FB has been for the last 100 year. They have only been decent in the last 15 years or so...that is a nice chill laid back gig that pays great and has easy recruiting.
Well said, Sir BTF69. I agree, I don't think Kiff leaves Oxford, MS. He was born in Lincoln, NE so if Rhule leaves for Penn State, which I don't think he will, we go after Laney.

"Lane and his ex-wife Layla Reaves, who is a University of Florida alumna, have three children.[92] Kiffin's brother, Chris, was a defensive lineman at Colorado State University[93] and is the linebackers coach for the Houston Texans.[94] Kiffin's former father-in-law, John Reaves, was a former starting NFL and USFL quarterback who played college football for the Florida Gators. On February 28, 2016, Lane and Layla announced that they were separating and had mutually decided to divorce.[95]

In 2024, Kiffin said he had been sober and abstinent from alcohol for three and a half years."

Well said, Sir BTF69. I agree, I don't think Kiff leaves Oxford, MS. He was born in Lincoln, NE so if Rhule leaves for Penn State, which I don't think he will, we go after Laney.

"Lane and his ex-wife Layla Reaves, who is a University of Florida alumna, have three children.[92] Kiffin's brother, Chris, was a defensive lineman at Colorado State University[93] and is the linebackers coach for the Houston Texans.[94] Kiffin's former father-in-law, John Reaves, was a former starting NFL and USFL quarterback who played college football for the Florida Gators. On February 28, 2016, Lane and Layla announced that they were separating and had mutually decided to divorce.[95]

In 2024, Kiffin said he had been sober and abstinent from alcohol for three and a half years."
Life has always come at Lane quickly.

I do not think he has any feeling of connection to Lincoln. I also hope we are not looking for a coach any time soon.

Reactions: Badger Pete
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT