ADVERTISEMENT

Saban retired

I think they’ll go after Lanning and/or Deboer but probably have to “settle” for Kiffin or Dabo. Oregon can match whatever Alabama offers, UW probably can too, you’re anlready in the B1G and these coaches are beloved at their respective schools. Go to Bama and they’ll be calling for your head as soon as you lose 2 games.

My money is on Kiffin…

Could this be the job that pulls Urban Meyer back into coaching? Probably not…

I see a huge hire like Urban or having to go to plan C or D. Who would want to follow in Sabans shoes if they were already seeing success and money at their current gig. The 12 team playoff and NIL changes everything going forward.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Spongebob Squarepants Nickelodeon GIF

Reactions: headcard
I don't know why a coach would leave a good job for bama. In a tough division/conference and expectations will be way too high. Maybe Callahan is looking to get back into college.

Also possibly the greatest DB coach of all time is what truly makes him great IMO.

Innovator of the matchup cover 3(rip/liz) as well, which was a colossal move forward for modern defense vs spread offenses.

Congrats to him for a great career but I am glad he is done. Not just in sports or politics - but throughout the US economy major positions are being held by very old individuals who just won't retire. It is holding back the advancement of younger qualified individuals who deserve their time in the limelight. This is a problem in academia and in academic medicine where the seniors just "won't leave. Now I admit older Americans are more vigorous than they were in the past but there comes as time to move over. These guys like Saban must be worth 50 million dollars. It is embarrassing to see him peddling gap medical insurance. Call it a day and become an ambassador for Bama or college football or whatever.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Congrats to him for a great career but I am glad he is done. Not just in sports or politics - but throughout the US economy major positions are being held by very old individuals who just won't retire. It is holding back the advancement of younger qualified individuals who deserve their time in the limelight. This is a problem in academia and in academic medicine where the seniors just "won't leave. Now I admit older Americans are more vigorous than they were in the past but there comes as time to move over. These guys like Saban must be worth 50 million dollars. It is embarrassing to see him peddling gap medical insurance. Call it a day and become an ambassador for Bama or college football or whatever.
JFC…if you are serious, you need to take a lap.

My first thought was Lane, but I wonder if the fans would be happy with that hire?

Very classy of Nick to give the season a couple days to breathe, instead of announcing earlier and taking the focus away from the natty. I like it.
My understanding is that Lane HATED living in Tuscaloosa.

JFC…if you are serious, you need to take a lap.
I am very serious - this is a major issue that has ramifications for the entire economy. You can do as you please but knowing when to hand off to those below is part of being an effective mentor.

I am very serious - this is a major issue that has ramifications for the entire economy. You can do as you please but knowing when to hand off to those below is part of being an effective mentor.
Wait a second… did all of the hot conversation on the pay board get dull? You can go back over the wall.

Not a huge surprise, I think it was speculated as a possibility for a while. The bigger surprise will be IF he can stay retired.
There's a rumor circulating - on a few Alabama & SEC boards - that Terry Saban (Nick's wife) is really sick and he wants to spend time with her and family. This was not planned

I see a huge hire like Urban or having to go to plan C or D. Who would want to follow in Sabans shoes if they were already seeing success and money at their current gig. The 12 team playoff and NIL changes everything going forward.
$$$$$$$. With the talent they have and their money they’ll likely get who they want. Nick’s net worth is supposedly over 90 million.

There's a rumor circulating - on a few Alabama & SEC boards - that Terry Saban (Nick's wife) is really sick and he wants to spend time with her and family. This was not planned
Sad, but people in their seventies get sick....you want to spend time with your loved ones you need to do it earlier.

• Wow
Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Public numbers put Saban’s net worth north of 90 million.

Reactions: hephusker
$$$$$$$. With the talent they have and their money they’ll likely get who they want. Nick’s net worth is supposedly over 90 million.
All the top guys are already making 6-8 million a year, no way they pay someone like Lanning 11 million without accomplishing anything first, bama is going to drop back behind Georgia and LSU. I see a Florida post urban trajectory

All the top guys are already making 6-8 million a year, no way they pay someone like Lanning 11 million without accomplishing anything first, bama is going to drop back behind Georgia and LSU. I see a Florida post urban trajectory
Works for me but they’ll pay what they have to get their guy.

My first thought was Lane, but I wonder if the fans would be happy with that hire?

Very classy of Nick to give the season a couple days to breathe, instead of announcing earlier and taking the focus away from the natty. I like it.

Alabama fans will only be universally happy with Kirby Smart or Urban Meyer. I do think there’s a tier two (Kiffin, Deboer, Lanning) that a good portion will be optimistic about. I think Dabo, Norvell or just about anyone else will be a highly contentious hire, in the small minds of gump fans. Whoever it is they’ll be calling for his head if he loses 2 games. Getting someone out of a very good situation, to fill Saban’s shoes may be a lot harder than most bammers think.

Alabama fans will only be universally happy with Kirby Smart or Urban Meyer. I do think there’s a tier two (Kiffin, Deboer, Lanning) that a good portion will be optimistic about. I think Dabo, Norvell or just about anyone else will be a highly contentious hire, in the small minds of gump fans. Whoever it is they’ll be calling for his head if he loses 2 games. Getting someone out of a very good situation, to fill Saban’s shoes may be a lot harder than most bammers think.

Greatest coach of all time. He built the greatest program in history and the greatest coaching tree. Sad to see him go as his reasons for leaving (NIL and the transfer portal) are ruining college football as a whole. The transfer portal can at least be brought back to a level of sanity.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
It got tiring seeing Alabama being so good year after year. I suppose that's a testament to what Nick Saban accomplished there. I neither like or dislike him but it will be strange not seeing him there. College football is worse for his absence. Wish him the best going forward.

idk if yall heard the rumors or not but Kirk Ferentz will not be taking the job as HC of Alabama
Unlike Saban who left on his own terms and still occupying the stratosphere ... Private Kirk's career will end like Paterno's. The game passed him by 20 years ago.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT