ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Day Calls Out B1G Leadership

John_J_Rambo

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 10, 2020
EhlFWNIXcAAwshp

This really shines a light on how little Nebraska is thought of by the national media. All the OSU noise was being made by Nebraska weeks ago and we were treated like we had violated some sort of conference code. OSU won't face any of the national vitriol
one thing's for sure: there won't be too many (any?) folks on the buckeye board calling ryan day childish for this public statement.

This really shines a light on how little Nebraska is thought of by the national media. All the OSU noise was being made by Nebraska weeks ago and we were treated like we had violated some sort of conference code. OSU won't face any of the national vitriol

Well Nebraska back lash came right before Warren cancelling the season and this came out a month later when everyone that wants to play is making their voices be heard..

"....the Big Ten medical subcommittee has done an excellent job of creating a safe pathway to returning to play in mid October...."

Hopefully he is privy to some preliminary determinations and a new vote is imminent.

He’s just getting out in front of bad news like Frost did

Somebody had to fire the first bullet. Whoever did was going to take the heat. I wish Nebraska fans could get over the persecution thing. It may be real, but those outside of the Nebraska family just look for something to pounce on

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
i wouldn’t say that as much as Nebraska is Johnny come lately were not part of the original big 10. and if your not Ohio st or Michigan you should keep your mouth shut. We broke the unwritten rule

When Frost and Nebraska did this everyone went nuts and said we should be kicked out. There was no concern of us leaving many would be happy if we need, including me. Here is the thing the B1G needs Ohio St more than Ohio St needs the B1G. If Ohio State decided to leave it would be devastating to the B1G. They are the B1G poster child. I think Ohio St can push much harder against the B1G, more than most other schools.
Could they even threaten to leave if football is not played by a certain date? I think they could and should, the B1G would be doing everything they could to try and keep them happy. Now imagine if you had multiple teams threatening to leave, Ohio St, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn St. I think if these teams stuck together with a msg of play or we are out things would be moving along much quicker to play.

When Frost and Nebraska did this everyone went nuts and said we should be kicked out. There was no concern of us leaving many would be happy if we need, including me. Here is the thing the B1G needs Ohio St more than Ohio St needs the B1G. If Ohio State decided to leave it would be devastating to the B1G. They are the B1G poster child. I think Ohio St can push much harder against the B1G, more than most other schools.
Could they even threaten to leave if football is not played by a certain date? I think they could and should, the B1G would be doing everything they could to try and keep them happy. Now imagine if you had multiple teams threatening to leave, Ohio St, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn St. I think if these teams stuck together with a msg of play or we are out things would be moving along much quicker to play.
I don't really think the B1G cares about football. at all.

You might be right. But I do think they care about money. And if they lost Ohio State, Penn State, et al, they would lose the B1G tv network and a crap ton of money those schools generate.
Football money pales in comparison to grant money, and is used to fund athletic departments that academics view as a distraction from the real work their schools do.

Reactions: timnsun
I don't really think the B1G cares about football. at all.
👆
Is what every coach recruiting head to head against any BIG school is going to tell those kids. For about the next 10 years.

" They don't care about football. You don't even know if they're going to play year to year. Here at Miami we are concerned with your development and want to put you in the NFL. Can't do that if you're not playing"

Football money pales in comparison to grant money, and is used to fund athletic departments that academics view as a distraction from the real work their schools do.
I guess I didn’t realize how much money grants bring in... that being said, how much money does football and the B1G Network bring in from the top grossing schools in the conference? I can’t imagine the individual schools have a plan to find $50 million elsewhere, do they?

I could be way high on my guess... I really have no idea what football generates for individual schools... just curious on my part.

I guess I didn’t realize how much money grants bring in... that being said, how much money does football and the B1G Network bring in from the top grossing schools in the conference? I can’t imagine the individual schools have a plan to find $50 million elsewhere, do they?

I could be way high on my guess... I really have no idea what football generates for individual schools... just curious on my part.
in 2017, B1G schools totaled nearly $10B in research expenditures. a bulk of that money is publicly funded by departments within gov't (defense, ag, etc.).

that's ~$800M per school. $50M from the B1G/BTN goes toward the athletic department, which academics view as unnecessary. the eggheads wouldn't miss it for a second, because what it pays for (sports) would also go away.

in 2017, B1G schools totaled nearly $10B in research expenditures. a bulk of that money is publicly funded by departments within gov't (defense, ag, etc.).

that's ~$800M per school. $50M from the B1G/BTN goes toward the athletic department, which academics view as unnecessary. the eggheads wouldn't miss it for a second, because what it pays for (sports) would also go away.
You’ve put it well. Thanks!

I wonder if they feel the same way about the fine arts. Not a lot of research needs to be done about the classical era of operatic music.

Where is the grant money for athletic departments coming from?

I wonder if they feel the same way about the fine arts. Not a lot of research needs to be done about the classical era of operatic music.
ROI can't be measured because monetarily it will always be negative. Other benefits that can't be measured...I guess

👆
Is what every coach recruiting head to head against any BIG school is going to tell those kids. For about the next 10 years.

" They don't care about football. You don't even know if they're going to play year to year. Here at Miami we are concerned with your development and want to put you in the NFL. Can't do that if you're not playing"
This is exactly right. Lets be honest most football players aren't picking a university because of their academic prestige. It is because of the football program and if they can get them to the NFL. If I was an HC Im going to be driving home the point to recruits that the B1G doesn't prioritize football or your career, over and over to any B1G school Im recruiting against.

Reactions: Baxter48
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT