ADVERTISEMENT

Running Backs...

Litterally every time the running game isn't productive enough in peoples eyes I get to hear how vanilla or unimagitive the the run game is. Happened at times under each coach since TO. It's almost as if people on these boards figured out all the answers... Why the heck haven't you guys applied for the HC spot yet? Cause I'd love to be great again.

I think it has more to with guys up front in the trenches than it does the play calling. But hey, I'm only watching the games.

I think it has more to with guys up front in the trenches than it does the play calling. But hey, I'm only watching the games.
Ding ding ding. Anyone that doesn't think that the O line was the biggest issue last year needs glasses. I don't care what plays you call, youre not getting anywhere behind a MASH unit line.

is there any more tired argument than the why don't you apply for coach one? if thats really the standard, then this board should be shut down. maybe keep the ticket swap one and call it a day.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I always get a kick out of how the play calling is labeled as dull and "up the gut" all of the time. First of all, this is not always the same play. It may look like it at first glance but what is the definition of up the gut, anything not towards the sideline? Sometimes the play is cut back and there are multiple blocking schemes for multiple formations. Don't just watch where the RB goes, watch the linemen pulling and trapping.

There was too much confusion up front last year. Defenders were often missed, this was assignment football, not necessarily technique problems. Seems that many Nebraska fans have not been pleased with the play calling since the days of TO and Co. Seems to me that Danny is doing a good job of taking advantage of what is there. Most games I can see what he is doing, where he wants to go but getting there is not always easy. I guess that is also related to the identity issue that is also brought up as lacking. The translation is - until we get a running game that rivals those of the 90's, we don't really have a running game.

As for the original topic - Bryant is the man until unseated. Coaches have been pleased with his progress and he will start the fall camp as the go to guy that is most complete. OZ has some good characteristics and will get his shot during games in key spots. Wilbon, while wooing many on here with flashes of quickness and speed, will need to find some consistency in many facets of his game to see the field on a consistent basic. I am really going out on a limb and stating he will have a handful of outstanding plays and people will be lobbying for him to play more. Eek

For all his shortcomings, i thought Tim Beck was the best OC we've had by far since TO.

he had his shortcomings for sure, but he knew how to set up defenses and he schemed several ridiculously easy touchdowns.

he had his shortcomings for sure, but he knew how to set up defenses and he schemed several ridiculously easy touchdowns.
True but it took him 4 bad possessions to get those and he had no idea how to sustain drives to keep the defense off the field. Not good when your D sucks.

Reactions: SOHusker11
It's interesting how some people believe none of our OCs has been "worth a crap" since Tom. Tom was maybe one of the most brilliant minds in college football history. Based on several second hand stories on his memory for faces and names, I would find it easy to believe that he's one of those guys with a "photographic" memory. A family member met him briefly at a meeting and then several years later randomly ran in to him at an airport and he called him by his first name. Impressive to say the least. I highly doubt anybody will ever surpass him in the ability to learn individual defenders, remember and then manipulate defenders and the whole defense. Beck had his moments and I would have been just fine with him staying at NU. I posted more than once during that last year that we should can Bo and elevate Beck for the rest of the season. It was pretty evident that Beck had had enough of Bo's crap that last year. He had to recruit to what Bo wanted to run but he was IMO a pretty good recruiter with deep ties in Texas. IMO he would be a good head coach someday. Heck IF I were an AD at a lower tier power 5 program I would hire him in a heartbeat.

He had his moments to be sure. But he lost some of those chess battles as well. That's what got him canned at OSU.
IMO, Beck was a fall guy for some of their offensive struggles. I'm doubtful that Beck had full control of the play calling. IF you can fire Beck and hire who they hired though, it was probably a prudent thing to do.

Reactions: DukeOfSorrow
IMO, Beck was a fall guy for some of their offensive struggles. I'm doubtful that Beck had full control of the play calling. IF you can fire Beck and hire who they hired though, it was probably a prudent thing to do.
Maybe so. I remember people pointing fingers at Bo, essentially claiming that he would not "take the leash" off of Beck. How true that ever was is debatable, though. I suppose we will see how he does in Austin.

If the Oline holds up their end of the bargain and Lee really has the goods to take some pressure off of the backs, our RBs are more than talented enough to do the job needed. The wildcard is the Oline. I don't think anyone is claiming that these guys are at the level of Burkhead or AA. But maybe Tre Bryant hits his stride this year.

It's interesting how some people believe none of our OCs has been "worth a crap" since Tom. Tom was maybe one of the most brilliant minds in college football history. Based on several second hand stories on his memory for faces and names, I would find it easy to believe that he's one of those guys with a "photographic" memory. A family member met him briefly at a meeting and then several years later randomly ran in to him at an airport and he called him by his first name. Impressive to say the least. I highly doubt anybody will ever surpass him in the ability to learn individual defenders, remember and then manipulate defenders and the whole defense. Beck had his moments and I would have been just fine with him staying at NU. I posted more than once during that last year that we should can Bo and elevate Beck for the rest of the season. It was pretty evident that Beck had had enough of Bo's crap that last year. He had to recruit to what Bo wanted to run but he was IMO a pretty good recruiter with deep ties in Texas. IMO he would be a good head coach someday. Heck IF I were an AD at a lower tier power 5 program I would hire him in a heartbeat.

And yet his offense looked like garbage playing against the big boys until he really geared up recruiting.

I definitely remember the Pelini is the reason Shawn Watson sucked narrative, especially after he ran the worst offense in Nebraska history. In addition, Zac Lee was an NFL talent that was shackled by Benedict Arnold...I mean Bo Pelini. As it turned out though, they both actually sucked on their own.

Wats looks good when he has talent at QB to execute and make plays. Not so much when he doesn't. Zac was a sub-NFL talent who had injury problems. If only he has been a bit more healthy in 09. I think Pelini stays in Youngstown for awhile.

Wats looks good when he has talent at QB to execute and make plays. Not so much when he doesn't. Zac was a sub-NFL talent who had injury problems. If only he has been a bit more healthy in 09. I think Pelini stays in Youngstown for awhile.

What coach doesn't look better with more talent? Eek

Reactions: DukeOfSorrow
Sub-NFL? More like sub-NCAA

Sub-NFL? More like sub-NCAA
Tom Osborne told my brother-in-law after watching Lee in practice, that he thought Zac Lee would be the first Husker QB taken high in the NFL draft as a QB in a long time. Just saying, pre-injury Zac Lee had enough talent according to the one and only TO to play in the NFL. His size would have limited his upside in the draft IMO, but the kid had talent and he was playing in the right offense with Callahan to get drafted. I don't think he ever fully recovered from that arm injury.

Tom Osborne told my brother-in-law after watching Lee in practice, that he thought Zac Lee would be the first Husker QB taken high in the NFL draft as a QB in a long time. Just saying, pre-injury Zac Lee had enough talent according to the one and only TO to play in the NFL. His size would have limited his upside in the draft IMO, but the kid had talent and he was playing in the right offense with Callahan to get drafted. I don't think he ever fully recovered from that arm injury.
And his backup was Cody Green. We have had horrific options at backup QB since Ganz assumed the reins late in 07.

Yep there were a lot of cooks in that OSU kitchen. If you think the HC at Nebraska was in Beck's ear ... and it wasn't just Meyer sharing the duties at OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT