ADVERTISEMENT

Run Game

regoratsginrom

Blackshirt
May 15, 2004
Lots of discussion about poor decision-making, clock management, turnovers, etc. Maybe we should add the run game. We rushed for 75 yards today (42 of which were Chubbas). 75. Iowa had over 160, including a 100 yard rusher. Our run game was virtually non-existent.

Lots of discussion about poor decision-making, clock management, turnovers, etc. Maybe we should add the run game. We rushed for 75 yards today (42 of which were Chubbas). 75. Iowa had over 160, including a 100 yard rusher. Our run game was virtually non-existent.
that seemed like iowa's game plan - limit the run and make purdy make plays.

Amazing how the two teams are so terrible but one team stood out on shooting themselves in the foot with poorly timed errors and turnovers. And has been doing that consistently for a dozen years it feels like

Iowa really did the same things we did. Fumbled a punt return, fumbled another time, INT with under a minute left.

F*ckin’ A right it was.

Phil Parker for the Broyles Award.
vaXRsY.gif

Iowa really did the same things we did. Fumbled a punt return, fumbled another time, INT with under a minute left.
True. I was watching with a house hold full of kids on vacation. I think I only saw our errors. Which were basically expected

do you think repeated runs would yield 3-4 yards over and over again?
There would be some 8 yard runs. And some 20 plus yard runs. And some 2 or less. Teams were loading the box all season because our passing game was horrid. There was no development to the QB position. There was no growth. All regression. So defenses loaded the box and we still led the conference in running. Five times I saw us run for 4 or 5 yards om first down. To only have 2 incomplete passes follow

And at no time did the Huskers commit to it.

There would be some 8 yard runs. And some 20 plus yard runs. And some 2 or less. Teams were loading the box all season because our passing game was horrid. There was no development to the QB position. There was no growth. All regression. So defenses loaded the box and we still led the conference in running. Five times I saw us run for 4 or 5 yards om first down. To only have 2 incomplete passes follow
yes, running over and over into a brick wall with 8 in the box would net 6 yards per 3 plays and time to punt.

Yet we led the conference in rushing this season.
Like it or not, Iowa has a really good defense. The point still stands. We haven’t had a RB that can take a big workload. We haven’t had a RB that is a game changer and take pressure off the QB. And we don’t have a line that can push defenders around.

Reactions: dckchusker
Yes, we put up good rushing numbers, but that was because we rarely threw the ball.

Because we couldn't throw the ball.

Because our OL sucked out loud 12 games out of 12, and we don't have a competent QB on the roster.

Reactions: WHCSC
yes, running over and over into a brick wall with 8 in the box would net 6 yards per 3 plays and time to punt.
Not if you playaction once in a while. Or throw a hitch/curl/out once in a while. This is what you speds don't understand. The run the ball guy understands you have to be able to pass the ball. We also understand we can lean heavier on the run game and allow that to open up things when an opportunity to pass arises. When we say run the ball, we are saying that should be the identity and what we lean on. We don't want to see zero passes a game. Hell, Osborne passed 22 percent of the time.

https://www.cuatthegame.com/1992/8-nebraska-the-halloween-massacre/
The Cornhuskers ran the ball for 373 yards on the day, while Colorado netted eight yards rushing. Nebraska held the ball for 42:50 of the game clock, the second most ever by a Colorado opponent. Nebraska head coach Tom Osborne was diplomatic after the game. Discussing the Buffs’ switch to a more pass-oriented offense: “There’s always a temptation to say I told you so …. But for this locale, this climate, I think you’ve got to be able to jam it at people sometimes.”

But hey, wtf did he know

You serious? 30 carries for 75 yards. Most on here amazed me. We should have thrown the ball 40 plus times today. It was the only shot of winning the game.
Bunch of Purdy scrambles. How often did we line up under center and hand the ball to Johnson - it wasn't many.

Our offensive line is terrible and has been all season

As I said all season the designed QB run game was our best option (get it) to gain an advantage

Without Haarberg we didn’t have that and magically the line looked like shit

Who could’ve known? Lol

Reactions: huntered
11 carries for 27 yards. Do you want to continue to beat that drum?

With shotgun, sideways runs, no. With under center, straight at them runs, yes. Especially so with our passing game. One of EJ's 1h runs, we completely blew them off the ball for 6 yards on 1st down. Then we throw 2 incompletions. Was awful playcalling.

I know Nebraska has good rushing stats. But I still follow the theory that unless its an option team rushing from a QB does not determine of if ur a good rushing team. Rushing from ur running backs does.

I was baffled with the run game today. I'll have to rewatch it sometime down the road but it seemed like everything in the run game was outside of the tackles today. Which Iowa clearly strung out and was able to stop.

It also seemed like we barely used zone read. I don't know if that was due to Chubba having limitations or zone read was called and he was handing it off. But I would of expected us to have a lot more success with zone read today with Chubba running it.

? the offensive game plan around the run game today for sure.

Was disappointed in our run gameplan today however we were able to create some good looks a few times that got us 4 yards. However way too much shotgun and stretch plays.

Under center also produces potential for the long lost bootleg pass which woulda helped today.

Five different players led the team in rushing for the 12 games, with each quarterback being one of those leading rushers. The only people to rush for 100+ were quarterbacks.

Add in the fact we had to have three different quarterbacks and such poor overall offensive performances make some more sense. We had five different players lead in receiving yards, with 73 being the top single game total.

So much this off season to improve upon offensively. Yet the youth on that side of the ball again can be seen as part of the why of poor play. This off season has to have much better attention to detail for growth of the team overall. Think the culture is improving and getting a foundation for winning seasons getting established. Need more young players to step up with an influx of transfers that can play well right away.

Reactions: oldjar07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT