ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts from a” whiner”

Tough last stretch of games, but it is year one. Way too early to say Rhule won't get it done here. Obviously some offensive changes needs to occur. Hopefully he is hitting the portal for a better QB and this time not one that sucked at GT.

I'd quote Penny and Husker.Wed, but that would take up too much space. Great posts by both guys. Like Penny, I really don't know what to think. NU had a significant QB deficit all season. That, coupled with an incredible number of injuries on the offensive side of the ball, makes it difficult draw a solid conclusion on that side of the ball.

Husker.Wed also hit a couple of great points - in particular the field position point. How many drives did we start a drive inside our own 10 - or worse? That's partly on the punt return team, BUT ALSO partly on the defense. As good as our defense was, they often had a hard time getting off the field on 3rd down, which did not necessarily lead to points, but sure let the opponent flip the field.

It begins and ends with the QB. NU's offense was awful at sustaining scoring drives. Just awful. If NU didn't hit a big play, NU generally didn't score. Our QB's were far to error prone to keep the chains moving.

In short - we need a QB.

After frosts first season, almost all loved Frost. We finished 4 and 2 in the last 6 games that season. Almost beat tOSU @ the shoe. We had a 15 ranked recruiting class and AM was on a short list for heisman going in to preseason.

We could improve with Rhule but just as likely, we could suck. He has a ton of red flags. It wasn’t just depth that lost us games.
Frost's first season was actually somewhat successful. The following months though were a sign of things to come starting with not recruiting a QB that can throw.

The schedule was ridiculously easy this year, and we still failed to make a bowl. This would have been an eight-win team under Callahan or Riley. Rhule needs to take a hard look at every facet of the team and decide where changes need to be made. Not much could have been done about the talent/injury issues that hurt the team, but there were far too many fixable things that weren't fixed.

The schedule was ridiculously easy this year, and we still failed to make a bowl. This would have been an eight-win team under Callahan or Riley. Rhule needs to take a hard look at every facet of the team and decide where changes need to be made. Not much could have been done about the talent/injury issues that hurt the team, but there were far too many fixable things that weren't fixed.
Give me a break Riley‘s teams near the end were weaker than toilet paper and weren’t close to being physical..

Why bring these two coaches up in the first place?

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
Give me a break Riley‘s teams near the end were weaker than toilet paper and weren’t close to being physical..

Why bring these two coaches up in the first place?

Riley made bowl games each of his first two years. Beat a Michigan State team that finished #6 in the country his first year.

Riley made bowl games each of his first two years. Beat a Michigan State team that finished #6 in the country his first year.
With Pelini left overs..What happened after that..

Rhule, Would have loved to have a had Tommy Armstrong the first seasons..

Reactions: RedMyMind
Right now I don’t know what to think anymore about anything. About Rhule, about his staff, about where college football is going and if we can keep up with it, about Trev, … the whole thing. I am just deflated and demoralized right now. A fan old enough to remember the glory years of both Devaney and Osborne who can’t fathom that we have had seven straight losing seasons and 8 out of the last 9 seasons. It all just leaves me numb. I have zero idea if Rhule is a good coach. People say he is. All I know is that his first season here sucked. It was more of the same.

On to next year. Hopefully it will be better.
This is the best summary of how I feel.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I think Rhule will do good things for you guys if he sticks around. Defense was stout enough for you guys to win 10 games in year one. Alvano has to take a huge step forward or bring in a proven kicker. Purdy was your best QB but didn’t play until game 9, that was peculiar.

Rhule seems like a guy who doesn’t get too high or too low emotionally and I think that’s great leadership. Something we have come to learn with Kirk.
Fair assessment, Hawks. Congratulations on the the victory. Reality is that I respect your defense and edge you guys have earned. Happy Holidays.

After seeing eight games in person with good seats to see the whole field, I'm not as down on "playcalling" as many here are.

1. To the run the damn ball crowd. NU runs more than all but five other D1 teams and before yesterday led the B1G in rushing. Obviously, some good running plays are being called, and the passes that turned into QB runs were possible because the play design cleared the middle.

2. Time after time beginning with Minnesota a great pass play was called and the QB waited too long, flat out missed the receiver by a mile, or threw a pick. I haven't watched the tape yet but yesterday there was a receiver wide open over the middle with room to turn up field. I think it may have been Fleeks. Purdy waited forever to toss him the ball and when he got it he was pushed out of bounds for a two yard gain. If you add up six missed perfectly-called pass plays a game, they add up. What the hell is Satterfield supposed to do if his QBs can't make even rudimentary throws?

3. The young receivers have trouble getting open, as does Kemp. In modern football a team HAS TO PASS once in awhile and completions are hard if the receivers are playing pattycake with the DBs.

4. The punt return team has done the offense NO FAVORS. They have routinely had to start around our 10.

5. The turnovers have been ridiculous.

6. The injuries have been ridiculous.

While our OC doesn't exactly inspire me when he speaks, in my humble opinion he has called games good enough for us to win them, he just does not have D1 players to execute his plan.

If NU can find a real quarterback, develop/get receivers who can get open and catch, shore up the punt return team, and continue to improve on the O-line, next year CAN be better. I know it is hard to think about waiting another year when we are all angry and feeling hopeless today, but things can be much better next year.
I completely agree with all of this.

I sometimes wonder what game people are watching and if they are only seeing what they want to see. Someone asked yesterday why we got away from runs when we were getting 4-5 yards on first down. No, we were not. Iowa has always played the run well and especially against this Husker team. NW held their own against Iowa with the pass, it was their weakest area and we couldn't take full advantage of that.

I put some things in a similar post but Rhule has to seriously look at his staff both from a management and development point of view. There were times the staff let the players down and the other way around.

Dingle and I are on same page about needing more athletes. We are woefully short - some are on campus but not developed while we need to bring in more.

People can complain about refs, announcers and playing calling all day but if you can't see the bigger picture then there is no hope and you will forever be stuck in blaming something else.

Honestly I feel like if you guys had just a game manager at the QB position you'd have 8 wins. Not even a scrambler just someone to distribute the ball and not turn it over. I know my Hawks are terrible offensively but I think there is a lot of positives for you guys Defensively at least.

Reactions: Laner2 and meo1960
Mike Riley had a 17yr winning percentage as a head coach of .531, most of that at Oregon St. Only .500 at Nebraska.

Let's give Matt more than 1 season at Nebraska before comparing him to "hip hip hooray" - Mike Riley.

Leave it to Harry to troll... reminds me of Riley and his hip hip hoorays

Riley hired a terrible defensive coordinator. Rhule hired a terrible offensive coordinator. Rhule needs to learn from Riley's mistake, and go get an O.C. that great QBs will want to play for.

What great QB is going to look at Satterfield's career and say, yeah I want to play in his offense?

Riley hired a terrible defensive coordinator. Rhule hired a terrible offensive coordinator. Rhule needs to learn from Riley's mistake, and go get an O.C. that great QBs will want to play for.

What great QB is going to look at Satterfield's career and say, yeah I want to play in his offense?
We should just keep recruiting ALL the Martinez's and Lee's that we can.

Anybody who listened to the radio instead of just watching on TV knows how many times Damon Benning was borderline weeping into his headset because a wide receiver, even the freshmen, were standing completely uncovered, practically flapping their arms like a gotdang 'tard trying to get the QB's attention only to be ignored. This has to stop. Matt Davison did the same thing for years with Adrian Martinez. "HE'S GOT A GUY(S) WIDE OPEN!" I'm not sure if the answer to that problem leans more towards coaching or recruiting. But the vicious hatred of Satterfield is at best half-right. We need a QB coach that can, at least, evaluate recruits and find guys that don't crap their pants.

The last play against Iowa had 3 guys with pretty large cushions, even Bullock, the intended target, was open, but Purdy needed to get it over the defender, pump fake or something, but instead just didn't see him and gave him a freebie. So dumb, but the OC dialed up a perfectly reasonable play that should have gained at worst 15 yards.
If DB is right, then that had to have been the case all year. Very doubtful we had guys running wide open every play against the 2nd best defense we played all year and not against everyone else.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I completely agree with all of this.

I sometimes wonder what game people are watching and if they are only seeing what they want to see. Someone asked yesterday why we got away from runs when we were getting 4-5 yards on first down. No, we were not. Iowa has always played the run well and especially against this Husker team. NW held their own against Iowa with the pass, it was their weakest area and we couldn't take full advantage of that.

I put some things in a similar post but Rhule has to seriously look at his staff both from a management and development point of view. There were times the staff let the players down and the other way around.

Dingle and I are on same page about needing more athletes. We are woefully short - some are on campus but not developed while we need to bring in more.

People can complain about refs, announcers and playing calling all day but if you can't see the bigger picture then there is no hope and you will forever be stuck in blaming something else.
Yeah I didn't see too many 2nd and 5 yesterday

Reactions: RedMyMind
I don't like the idea of the AD forcing the HC to make changes BUT I do think the HC needs to only be loyal to one thing, winning.

The idea of being worried about "changing the verbage" of the offense is dumb. There will probably be 15-20 new players as it is, learning something new is not the end of the world.
Evidently defensive players are smarter than offensive guys. Tony White's defense was whole new alignments and schemes and that seemed to work out okay for this season.

Evidently defensive players are smarter than offensive guys. Tony White's defense was whole new alignments and schemes and that seemed to work out okay for this season.
they often say that the defense clicks faster than the offense

Buschini average almost 41 yards punting. Is that about average? I would guess it is. He did have 4 games where he was less than 36 yards and only one of the four was a win. It came in his lowest average 33.75 yards in the game against Illinois.
If his offense was average, it would look better but this leaves out that context. Buschini was punting more often with a full field in front of him, than 90% of D1 punters. A 36 yard punt is outstanding if you pin them inside their own 5 and atrocious if it gets them to their own 45. Buschini had way too much of the latter, making him a very poor punter

Reactions: Wasker77
After seeing eight games in person with good seats to see the whole field, I'm not as down on "playcalling" as many here are.

1. To the run the damn ball crowd. NU runs more than all but five other D1 teams and before yesterday led the B1G in rushing. Obviously, some good running plays are being called, and the passes that turned into QB runs were possible because the play design cleared the middle.

2. Time after time beginning with Minnesota a great pass play was called and the QB waited too long, flat out missed the receiver by a mile, or threw a pick. I haven't watched the tape yet but yesterday there was a receiver wide open over the middle with room to turn up field. I think it may have been Fleeks. Purdy waited forever to toss him the ball and when he got it he was pushed out of bounds for a two yard gain. If you add up six missed perfectly-called pass plays a game, they add up. What the hell is Satterfield supposed to do if his QBs can't make even rudimentary throws?

3. The young receivers have trouble getting open, as does Kemp. In modern football a team HAS TO PASS once in awhile and completions are hard if the receivers are playing pattycake with the DBs.

4. The punt return team has done the offense NO FAVORS. They have routinely had to start around our 10.

5. The turnovers have been ridiculous.

6. The injuries have been ridiculous.

While our OC doesn't exactly inspire me when he speaks, in my humble opinion he has called games good enough for us to win them, he just does not have D1 players to execute his plan.

If NU can find a real quarterback, develop/get receivers who can get open and catch, shore up the punt return team, and continue to improve on the O-line, next year CAN be better. I know it is hard to think about waiting another year when we are all angry and feeling hopeless today, but things can be much better next year.
Good takes IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT