ADVERTISEMENT

Rule changes

Prior to 2023, have you been annoyed and concerned about the length of games?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but I don't agree with the changes to the management the clock proposed.

• No, but I don't mind the proposed changes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Herbie83

All-American
Aug 26, 2014
Littleton, CO
The proposed rule changes to the way the clock will be managed for the 2023 season have been mentioned on here several times recently so they are no secret. If you've missed it here is a link that summarizes the changes: Timing rules changes proposed in footballNational Collegiate Athletic Associationhttps://www.ncaa.org › news › 2023 › media-center-ti...

I'm curious as to the scrolls viewpoint on this. Personally, I see this having a very big detrimental change on the game and have had no concerns about the length of games currently. Generally, I have a DVR that can speed the games up all I want so I find this whole discussion a little disturbing. It isn't 1990, and broadcasting technology has changed dramatically so that I rarely spend more than 90 minutes watching a game, and neither does anyone else if they are concerned about the amount of time for the broadcast.

Rather, I see these changes driven by the television networks to reduce dead time in the broadcast and try to stop some of the fast forwarding. Just another bad example of the money overruling the quality of the football IMO.

I'm not against change, but change to the way the game is played should be few and undertaken very carefully. This is one of the major reasons I seldom watch the NFL for decades because they are constantly changing the rules about seemingly everything. Consequently, any discussion of who is the best historical player at a position are just folly because comparing a recent player to one that played 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago, etc. is impossible because they really played different games and it's comparing apples to oranges for the most part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News