ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Brown is back at Dir of Player Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will have a great impact in the off the field role that he is coming to campus for. He is going to help these young men prepare for life and to be the best people they can be. Can think of few people better from watching him and listening to him over the years. He showed over his time in LINCOLN on the field he could work successfully with young men of many different backgrounds and world views,including different faiths and even no faith.

Glad he will be helping these young men off the field, great addition to the excellent staff on the field Nebraska has.

Reactions: WHCSC
I have a lot of respect for Coach Brown, because he's a man of integrity who "walks the walk."

I've probably told this story 400 times, but I used to work the UNL summer camps in an administrative role for the university. One day, while eating at the Harper-Schramm-Smith dining hall, I was joined by the Husker football coaches, as well as about 300 volleyball campers. That's 300 high school girl in "bun-hugger" shorts. Frank Solich and Craig Bohl had...shall we say...active eyes. I watched Ron Brown, and he remained a gentleman the whole time.

Is this definitive proof of anything? Nope. Did I observe some of the bun-huggers? Yup. But I don't claim to be a religious man. He earned my respect that day, although he already had it as a coach and a general representative of the university.

With that said, I don't like it when he makes controversial comments about homosexuality. People saying "get over it" would no doubt, join the butthurt coalition, if a Husker coach made controversial remarks about protecting abortion rights or ceasing private gun ownership in this country. Just because you agree with his opinion doesn't mean it is a positive thing to espouse it. Recruits may have family members who are gay, or come from more liberal areas where it is accepted. As a general rule, representing a STATE university, I don't think it is a good idea to get political about anything.
If the mods give you a permanent vacation for some reason, then six months later someone starts posting as "bunhuggervoyeur", we will have you pegged as a returning retread.

Nebraska record with Ron Brown since 1987 (his first year at NU)...... 231-64 (78% winning percentage)

Nebraska record without Ron Brown since 1987.......... 46-41 (52% winning percentage)

I like the hire.

smilin mike responsible for nearly half of those 41 losses. (19, to be exact).

That said, it's great to have him back.

In his new role at Nebraska, Brown will serve in a non-coaching role, mentoring Husker football student-athletes in numerous off-field development areas. Brown will work closely with Nebraska’s nationally renowned Life Skills program and assist in community outreach efforts of Husker football players and staff.

Great hire and man of God with Great Character!

This will be a non-story in about 3 days. By the time practice starts people will have forgotten he even works at NU.

I have a lot of respect for Coach Brown, because he's a man of integrity who "walks the walk."

I've probably told this story 400 times, but I used to work the UNL summer camps in an administrative role for the university. One day, while eating at the Harper-Schramm-Smith dining hall, I was joined by the Husker football coaches, as well as about 300 volleyball campers. That's 300 high school girl in "bun-hugger" shorts. Frank Solich and Craig Bohl had...shall we say...active eyes. I watched Ron Brown, and he remained a gentleman the whole time.

Is this definitive proof of anything? Nope. Did I observe some of the bun-huggers? Yup. But I don't claim to be a religious man. He earned my respect that day, although he already had it as a coach and a general representative of the university.

With that said, I don't like it when he makes controversial comments about homosexuality. People saying "get over it" would no doubt, join the butthurt coalition, if a Husker coach made controversial remarks about protecting abortion rights or ceasing private gun ownership in this country. Just because you agree with his opinion doesn't mean it is a positive thing to espouse it. Recruits may have family members who are gay, or come from more liberal areas where it is accepted. As a general rule, representing a STATE university, I don't think it is a good idea to get political about anything.

I appreciate your post. Don't have any negative comments about it, Just want to add - let's not forget that the media has plenty of blame in Brown's "controversial remarks about homosexuality". They know where a man like Coach Brown stands on an issue like that already, but still ask questions like "How do you feel about the gay lifestyle?" He probably would prefer to keep his opinions/beliefs private, but now feels shoved into a corner, and he's no coward to stand on the principles he believes in, so he answers it instead of saying, "Next question." And the media is predominantly liberal, and they like to paint conservatives as legalistic/judgmental.

I appreciate your post. Don't have any negative comments about it, Just want to add - let's not forget that the media has plenty of blame in Brown's "controversial remarks about homosexuality". They know where a man like Coach Brown stands on an issue like that already, but still ask questions like "How do you feel about the gay lifestyle?" He probably would prefer to keep his opinions/beliefs private, but now feels shoved into a corner, and he's no coward to stand on the principles he believes in, so he answers it instead of saying, "Next question." And the media is predominantly liberal, and they like to paint conservatives as legalistic/judgmental.

Personally, I don’t care about stuff like that but there are some that do. When you put your self out there like that, there will always be other vocal people who disagree with you and they are just as passionate with their oppositional view.

What always makes me laugh is when extremists are shocked and appalled that everyone doesn’t agree with them 100%

Last edited:

Actually, sports media is overwhelmingly conservative, if it has any bias at all. And most media that isn't trying to cater to an ideological perspective simply tries to report and interpret, minimally, the news, by providing context.

It's also true that the media likes to make money, so getting hot takes is something that they all do now, more than they should.

Bottom line is, Ron Brown has always been a great coach, a good leader, and interested in player development both on and off the field. Nobody has to agree with his beliefs to see that and have the program benefit from it.

I would bet there are plenty of professors at UNL who have much more radical beliefs than Ron Brown, though on the far left side of the political spectrum. And that is fine, as long as they do not discriminate against students who do not share their ideology. College is supposed to be about exposing yourself to different viewpoints.

As far as I'm aware, Ron Brown has never forced any players to conform to his beliefs, nor has he discriminated any of them. I think most would prefer that coaches stay out of politics publicly, and I think Brown learned his lesson after Harvey admonished him.

Salary is 180k. Previous person in that position made 52k.

Last edited:
Looks like Alabama’s makes the same - 181k.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...e-with-3-million-football-support-staffs/amp/

Listed as director of player personnel in the article above. But from article below, which is an Alabama school release, his title is director of player development. Not really sure the difference between the two...

https://rolltide.com/news/2013/2/14..._Staff_as_Director_of_Player_Development.aspx

Reactions: jlb321
Tradionally Director of personnel involved a great deal of scouting - large voice in recruit evaluations, etc

Dir of development role was focused on athletes already on campus

Keep in mind that Billy Devaney made $300k, and his replacement (Sean Dillon) is making $150k - so we're saving quite a bit of money at that position.

And Ron Brown has about 35 more years of experience than James Rodgers did.

Last edited:
When did the discussion on homosexuality in our culture really take place to really investigate its merits to be warranted a class at all? I feel the same about veterans as a class, although vets have, in my opinion a greater claim to warrant special treatment.

Homosexuality is just that, a sexuality, its totally dependent on behavior. It is not like being born black or white, both of which are objective and involuntary. How you feel is not what you are! Feelings change, being black or white does not.

Either in the evolutionary paradigm or the creative paradigm homosexuality is a dead ended outcome in life, the development of life, and the teaching of how life actually works to the next generation.

Elective behaviors are not what separates the classes of men save for the financial classes. Beliefs separates classes of humans as well, but not at the physical level.

The civic discussion on homosexuality as an actual culture has not really been given it's proper length of time to think about without all the personal opinions involved or feelings one has. Look at it with a 500 mile view and through the lens of both the evolutionary and the creative in it's real application to the development of the human animal and you can't help but notice its futility as a true kind or prime culture of man.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
This AD’s office isn’t withholding the bank... just look at Frost’s salary compared to any other coach in Nebraska history.

I’m not surprised at the salary hike.

Reactions: HuskerO
Yeah, I am a committed leftist and secular humanist, but I can completely agree with everything you just said. Reasonable people need to re-establish the Center Left and Center Right in this country and start kicking the crazies out of both sides and encourage people to compromise and understand each other.

Thank you. This is the best political post I have read on social media in a long time. I agree 100%.

Yeah, my whole life of trying to "get some", I should have been looking at it "through the lens of both the evolutionary and the creative in it's real application to the development of the human animal."

It's just sex.

Reactions: prag_grenade
When did the discussion on homosexuality in our culture really take place to really investigate its merits to be warranted a class at all? I feel the same about veterans as a class, although vets have, in my opinion a greater claim to warrant special treatment.

Homosexuality is just that, a sexuality, its totally dependent on behavior. It is not like being born black or white, both of which are objective and involuntary. How you feel is not what you are! Feelings change, being black or white does not.

Either in the evolutionary paradigm or the creative paradigm homosexuality is a dead ended outcome in life, the development of life, and the teaching of how life actually works to the next generation.

Elective behaviors are not what separates the classes of men save for the financial classes. Beliefs separates classes of humans as well, but not at the physical level.

The civic discussion on homosexuality as an actual culture has not really been given it's proper length of time to think about without all the personal opinions involved or feelings one has. Look at it with a 500 mile view and through the lens of both the evolutionary and the creative in it's real application to the development of the human animal and you can't help but notice its futility as a true kind or prime culture of man.

This was a little muddled, but to correct a couple of things you're asserting:

1.) Fighting for equality does not equal special treatment as a class. Despite right wing bigoted attempts to paint it as such, most arguments and cultural debates around LGBTQ rights have to do with bringing these once-outcast people back into the fold of mainstream culture and making sure that they are treated with dignity and as equals, as is the humane and productive thing to do.

2.) Homosexuality occurs in nature among the animals, as it does in humans. From an evolutionary perspective, it does not yield offspring, but it does yield bonded pairs and encourage cooperation and teamwork, which is a huge advantage. Also, it can be seen as a natural form of population control; as a population booms, so does a small percentage of that population exhibit those behaviors.

3.) You seem to be saying it's 100% a choice. It is not 100% a choice.

Are you trying to "intellectualize" being a bigot?

Ron Brown brings back a football culture, he's got experience, he's a good person, but the guy is off his rocker in certain ways, and I am here to tell you, that don't fly with me.

But we agree to disagree. GBR

Are you trying to "intellectualize" being a bigot?

Ron Brown brings back a football culture, he's got experience, he's a good person, but the guy is off his rocker in certain ways, and I am here to tell you, that don't fly with me.

But we agree to disagree. GBR

Are you trying to trivialize a persons faith? Ron Brown believes what he believes because that’s what the Bible says. But just because he doesn’t believe in the lifestyle doesn’t mean he hates everyone who practices it. Bigots are filled with hatred… Ron Brown is not.

And the way you choose to live your life in certain ways probably doesn’t fly with Ron either.

But is long as you’re good at your job, that’s all that matters.

Keep in mind that Billy Devaney made $300k, and his replacement (Sean Dillon) is making $150k - so we're saving quite a bit of money at that position.

And Ron Brown has about 35 more years of experience than James Rodgers did.
Plus they never replaced Bob Welton(and don't plan to).

The discussion begins with rights and ends with rights. Asking for a right other people enjoy is not asking for special treatment.

Not all behaviors are voluntary; that something is a behavior doesn't make it a choice. A person with tourettes cusses, and that is a behavior, but that doesn't mean it's voluntary. Who one is attracted to is also not voluntary, though perhaps acting on that attraction is in normal circumstances. But then we have an issue with the first question--why do some people get to act on their attraction when the object is the opposite sex but for those whom it is the same sex they merit criticism?

Third issue. That something is adaptive according to evolution by natural selection does not automatically make it good, valuable, or worthwhile. Arguably rape another of the opposite sex is adaptive--doesn't mean it is good thing to do.

I won't get into the "creative paradigm" because I don't believe in it and I don't think it has a legitimate role in determining policy.

Last edited:
Just a warning for everyone. Let's keep this discussion in bounds or we're going to have to lock it. Religion and politics are way too divisive right now and aren't allowed on the board. I realize its tough because Brown is a polarizing figure, but let's keep it clean.

any chance we could just have an open ended OT thread...I love talking these things especially with those who have different views from me

Reactions: Skerz4Life50
Sorry, the powers that be have forbid religious and political posts. We are under pretty strict orders to lock down on these threads and posts. Political and religious topics have become far too divisive and usually end up in fights.

Sorry, edited last post so as to be less of an internet tough guy.

Last edited:
Are you trying to trivialize a persons faith? Ron Brown believes what he believes because that’s what the Bible says. But just because he doesn’t believe in the lifestyle doesn’t mean he hates everyone who practices it. Bigots are filled with hatred… Ron Brown is not.

And the way you choose to live your life in certain ways probably doesn’t fly with Ron either.

But is long as you’re good at your job, that’s all that matters.

Faith is no reason to be stupid.

Give a monkey a brain, he'll think he's the center of the universe.

GBR

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT