ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Brown is back at Dir of Player Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalfan

Offensive Coordinator
Nov 1, 2004
Nashville, TN
In his new role at Nebraska, Brown will serve in a non-coaching role, mentoring Husker football student-athletes in numerous off-field development areas. Brown will work closely with Nebraska’s nationally renowned Life Skills program and assist in community outreach efforts of Husker football players and staff.

Last edited:
the Husker Reddit is having a meltdown

And some people freaked out when the Student Union put in a Chick Fil A. If you are triggered by trivial things like this, you've lived a very privileged life.

I didn't like when Brown went to the city council and gave his address as Memorial Stadium. If you're going to air your politics like that, leave your employer out of it. But on the other hand, I don't know a single player Brown has coached that didn't say positive things about him - even Ameer Abdullah. Remember that Frost himself is a very conservative and religious guy, yet he is able to relate well with and earn the respect of players of all backgrounds.

Last edited:
And some people freaked out when the Student Union put in a Chick Fil A. If you are triggered by trivial things like this, you've lived a very privileged life.

I didn't like when Brown went to the city council and gave his address as Memorial Stadium. If you're going to air your politics like that, leave your employer out of it. But on the other hand, I don't know a single player Brown has coached that didn't say positive things about him - even Ameer Abdullah. Remember that Frost himself is a very conservative and religious guy, yet he is able to relate well with and earn the respect of players of all backgrounds.

Yeah, I am a committed leftist and secular humanist, but I can completely agree with everything you just said. Reasonable people need to re-establish the Center Left and Center Right in this country and start kicking the crazies out of both sides and encourage people to compromise and understand each other.

As far as Coach Brown and Coach Frost go, I know Brown is a big evangelical religious guy with a strong conservative viewpoint, which I would not agree with at all, but I don't care so long as he's a good coach and encourages good player development, because that is his job and I know he's awesome at it.

Ditto for Coach Frost. I don't think Frost is at the same level as Brown, but I assume he's probably more conservative than I am, and that's fine. Again, I don't really care, I just want a successful football program and players that aren't going to abuse themselves or others or cause mayhem among the denizens of Lincoln and Omaha.

I can take or leave this hire. It’s an off the field position so if someone wants his opinion on religion or politics they can get. Of course if we are going to break rules and have him actually coaching RBs or WR, I am all for it. But my guess is we won’t.

His on the field contributions or in program contributions from those who have been around him are praised. This seems like a home run hire.

Yeah, I am a committed leftist and secular humanist, but I can completely agree with everything you just said. Reasonable people need to re-establish the Center Left and Center Right in this country and start kicking the crazies out of both sides and encourage people to compromise and understand each other.

As far as Coach Brown and Coach Frost go, I know Brown is a big evangelical religious guy with a strong conservative viewpoint, which I would not agree with at all, but I don't care so long as he's a good coach and encourages good player development, because that is his job and I know he's awesome at it.

Ditto for Coach Frost. I don't think Frost is at the same level as Brown, but I assume he's probably more conservative than I am, and that's fine. Again, I don't really care, I just want a successful football program and players that aren't going to abuse themselves or others or cause mayhem among the denizens of Lincoln and Omaha.

and you have that right to be what you choose to be and think what you choose to think, as do I and all the rest of us who may or may not disagree. That is why I, and many others, served OUR Constitution, (but not, necessarily, our government).

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I love Ron Brown. Its so great to get back to biblical belief again instead of humanism. Coach Brown will impact many student athletes as well as the coaches. Great to have him back and to glorify Jesus Christ.
I think he will be a great mentor and the go to guy if any of the players are having adjustment or maturing issues. He will bend over backwards to help them.

Reactions: WHCSC
and you have that right to be what you choose to be and think what you choose to think, as do I and all the rest of us who may or may not disagree. That is why I, and many others, served OUR Constitution, (but not, necessarily, our government).

Not sure what exactly you mean, but ok, cool.

Nebraska record with Ron Brown since 1987 (his first year at NU)...... 231-64 (78% winning percentage)

Nebraska record without Ron Brown since 1987.......... 46-41 (52% winning percentage)

I like the hire.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
In his new role at Nebraska, Brown will serve in a non-coaching role, mentoring Husker football student-athletes in numerous off-field development areas. Brown will work closely with Nebraska’s nationally renowned Life Skills program and assist in community outreach efforts of Husker football players and staff.

Feeling more and more like the Husker Football I know and love!!!

First, I met Ron Brown when he was recruiting Brook Berringer and have talked to him a few other times and corresponded with him several times - if you can read his handwriting! I picked him up at the airport and spent one evening at a basketball game with him and I can tell you, I have never been around someone as positive and upbeat as Ron. He did everything by the book, he told me up front what he could and could not do and what I could and could not do. I admit I am a Christian as well so we did have some common ground other than Nebraska football. I would want my young men to be around a person of his character any day of the week. The way he spoke with Brook, his mother and others that came up to him exuded pure class and represented the University exceptionally.

Second, can we stop with the "religious" labels? People can do a lot of things religiously and going to church might be one of them. Ron is a Born Again Christian and follower of Jesus Christ whom he is completely sold out to. There are lots of "religious" people out there that are not necessarily Christians. Look at it this way - religion is man's way to reach up to God and hoping to satisfy him - Christianity is God reaching down to man through his son.

Thirdly, this position is one off of the field where he supports student athletes in all aspects of their lives. He is going to have a tremendous impact on the lives of students and how they matriculate through the system. My opinion is biased but I can't think of anyone I would rather have providing support for my son at a University that has high expectations for him as an athlete and a complete person than Ron Brown.

I would apologize if I offended anyone with this but it would not be genuine.

Last edited:
I think he will be a great mentor and the go to guy if any of the players are having adjustment or maturing issues. He will bend over backwards to help them.

He won’t be quick to give a pat on the butt for good work, but he will give rigorous yet delicate life advice man-to-man, and even sometimes man-to-multiple-men. A whole group of men at the same time even. This was a good hire.

I'm glad Ron is back. This was probably the best way to do it.

He can be around the players and have an impact but he won't necessarily be a very visible part of the Husker apparatus to the rest of the world.

While some subset of fans in NCAAFB know a few of the higher profile assistant coaches around the country, virtually no one knows who Southern Cal's player development guy is off the top of their head.

I can take or leave this hire. It’s an off the field position so if someone wants his opinion on religion or politics they can get. Of course if we are going to break rules and have him actually coaching RBs or WR, I am all for it. But my guess is we won’t.

Yah he'd be a great at either of those two positions but Walter is no slouch and so far we know Held can recruit. I'm less familiar with his on the field acumen.

Yah he'd be a great at either of those two positions but Walter is no slouch and so far we know Held can recruit. I'm less familiar with his on the field acumen.

When Walters gets a head coaching job, Brown will step in as WRs coach and Held will get the offensive coordinator title.

I have a lot of respect for Coach Brown, because he's a man of integrity who "walks the walk."

I've probably told this story 400 times, but I used to work the UNL summer camps in an administrative role for the university. One day, while eating at the Harper-Schramm-Smith dining hall, I was joined by the Husker football coaches, as well as about 300 volleyball campers. That's 300 high school girl in "bun-hugger" shorts. Frank Solich and Craig Bohl had...shall we say...active eyes. I watched Ron Brown, and he remained a gentleman the whole time.

Is this definitive proof of anything? Nope. Did I observe some of the bun-huggers? Yup. But I don't claim to be a religious man. He earned my respect that day, although he already had it as a coach and a general representative of the university.

With that said, I don't like it when he makes controversial comments about homosexuality. People saying "get over it" would no doubt, join the butthurt coalition, if a Husker coach made controversial remarks about protecting abortion rights or ceasing private gun ownership in this country. Just because you agree with his opinion doesn't mean it is a positive thing to espouse it. Recruits may have family members who are gay, or come from more liberal areas where it is accepted. As a general rule, representing a STATE university, I don't think it is a good idea to get political about anything.

When Walters gets a head coaching job, Brown will step in as WRs coach and Held will get the offensive coordinator title.

We'll see, my money is on Brown is done with coaching. I think his heart is more with people development.

Assuming Walters and Co get NU on the rise again, in 3 or 4 years he might have one of the few if only times in his career he'd be coaching for all the marbles. Hard to walk away from that with something you built. So that puts a potential Brown return at 60, or into his early 60's even.

Brown's a mover and a shaker. In that amount of time he's going to have so many irons in the fire on projects he loves, he may well not want to walk away from what he's built to get back on the road and back in the film room and so forth at that stage of life.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT