ADVERTISEMENT

Roby enters draft, keeping options open

Did you watch the Butler game by chance? How about the second Iowa game? Maybe the Northwestern Game?

It's there you just don't want to see it. The guy said "he could easily take over a game"... He is definitely capable. You just don't see any consistency, and that tells you he can't "easily" do it. I can't remember what reporter said this, but they said "Roby is not used right, because of selfish guard play"... another said "Roby played out of position all year, if he was able to play his true position a stretch 4 instead of a 5. He could of been the guy the sky's the limit for that kid!"

You don't ever go 19 and 16 if you don't have the capability to take over a game. Why people feel Roby can take over a game isn't because of scoring. That is where people go blind, because the kid does everything else so well.

What? So 3 games out of the 36 he "took over" Ok.... I would say he just had good games and played well. We can agree to disagree because this will go nowhere. He is a physical freak, but needs to really work on his basketball skill. He is nowhere near ready to be a pro when he can't get much done in the Big on a night by night basis.

Wow, you have issues dude... Do you not think it is possible to actually like more than 1 team? Did you not read when I said I cheered for Nebraska against Creighton this year?

I have issues??? I root for one team, I’m not setting there claiming Huskers and Bluejays (most Husker fans HATE). I seem fairly normal compared to that. ;). Sorry but Jayskers won’t ever gain much from us TRUE Husker fans. Your either a fan or not. When we have bad years you tough through it, don’t suddenly jump to the Creighton band wagon just to keep other fans at bay.

And yes, someone can cheer for two teams. Like me, I also like the Tarheels in basketball. But I’d never claim Husker/Tarheel. I’m a Husker, period.

What is different about what he says here than what we had already heard? He said he is maintaining his collegiate eligibility, which means he isn't hiring an agent. As far as I can tell, all this is doing is making official what he said he was going to do before. I don't see any change in his status.

Last edited:
What is different about what he says here than what we had already heard? He said he is maintaining his collegiate eligibility, which means he isn't hiring an agent. As far as I can tell, all this is doing is making official what he said he was going to do before. I don't see any change in his status.

He'll get drafted in the 2nd round. He's not coming back.

Not the wrong thing to do and see how it goes. Good guage of where he is. I think it's prudent. I think all of us would like to have him return, but in reality, few of us IF in his shoes wouldn't do the same.

Best of luck and GBR

Roby can do anything he wants. That is his prerogative, but I see him playing in Europe or Asia at best.

He'll get drafted in the 2nd round. He's not coming back.

I understand the potential that is seen in Roby, but he didn't make Honorable Mention in the Big Ten. I would think that he would be better served by coming back and developing into a dominating player in the Big Ten and thereby raising his draft stock ( and money ) considerably. Don't get me wrong, I really want to see him succeed. I just don't think he is ready.

Reactions: Dysfunctional Vet
You can make pretty good money playing in Europe. Roby is about to find out. Better buy a RosettaStone course in Italian.

He will end up like Patton from Creighton play in the G league and maybe get one game then cut just like the sixers did the other day. 2 years wasted for that guy he would have been much better staying at Creighton for three more years!

I understand the potential that is seen in Roby, but he didn't make Honorable Mention in the Big Ten. I would think that he would be better served by coming back and developing into a dominating player in the Big Ten and thereby raising his draft stock ( and money ) considerably. Don't get me wrong, I really want to see him succeed. I just don't think he is ready.

We're going to be pretty bad next year, so I don't see his stock going up that much by staying one more year. The projections I've seen have him 2nd round. A lot of NBA teams draft on measurables and potential moreso than how dominant you were in college - see Justin Patton from Creighton. Roby has the measurables and highlight reel to get drafted, but I don't see an extra year on a bad team raising his stock too much

We're going to be pretty bad next year, so I don't see his stock going up that much by staying one more year. The projections I've seen have him 2nd round. A lot of NBA teams draft on measurables and potential moreso than how dominant you were in college - see Justin Patton from Creighton. Roby has the measurables and highlight reel to get drafted, but I don't see an extra year on a bad team raising his stock too much

I disagree....I think if he comes back and really dominates, even if it is on a bad team it will raise his stock considerably.

I disagree....I think if he comes back and really dominates, even if it is on a bad team it will raise his stock considerably.

I don’t think he is an NBA player regardless of an extra year or not - I would like him back but from a financial perspective best to get on with things and start making decent money overseas somewhere or in the D league

Last edited:
He will end up like Patton from Creighton play in the G league and maybe get one game then cut just like the sixers did the other day. 2 years wasted for that guy he would have been much better staying at Creighton for three more years!
Patton got a guaranteed contract. He's set for life, the basketball scholarship is good until he gets his degree. He's already a multimillionaire and now he can go back to CU and get his degree if he even wants to. G League or Europe will take him and he'll make a nice living over there.

I have issues??? I root for one team, I’m not setting there claiming Huskers and Bluejays (most Husker fans HATE). I seem fairly normal compared to that. ;). Sorry but Jayskers won’t ever gain much from us TRUE Husker fans. Your either a fan or not. When we have bad years you tough through it, don’t suddenly jump to the Creighton band wagon just to keep other fans at bay.

And yes, someone can cheer for two teams. Like me, I also like the Tarheels in basketball. But I’d never claim Husker/Tarheel. I’m a Husker, period.
You have issues..................the fact you care who he chooses to cheer for is proof......

Reactions: Dysfunctional Vet
Patton got a guaranteed contract. He's set for life, the basketball scholarship is good until he gets his degree. He's already a multimillionaire and now he can go back to CU and get his degree if he even wants to. G League or Europe will take him and he'll make a nice living over there.
Yep...always take the money.

He's definitely coming back. How many guys has Miles put in the NBA? How many has Hoiberg? Exactly. Unless his lifelong dream is to play in China or the G league, he needs to get to work with Fred and try to put up a POTY type season.

He is good and best of luck in whichever he decides to do. But I think he could use another year in Lincoln. I think a year under a coach with Pro experience could do wonders for him.

Best option is for him to go Pro, get to the league or developmental league. Kid has potential and could get hurt. Cash in, and he'll grow more skilled in the Pros, either way.

If he develops a 3 pt shot look out, he could be a big time sleeper in the NBA

He's definitely coming back. How many guys has Miles put in the NBA? How many has Hoiberg? Exactly. Unless his lifelong dream is to play in China or the G league, he needs to get to work with Fred and try to put up a POTY type season.
Maybe he likes egg rolls. China is where he ends up. Nowhere close to making an NBA roster. Like someone else mentioned, couldn't make honorable all Big..

But even if he plans to come back, there's no Earthly reason for Roby not to sign up for the draft. He'll most likely get a combine invite, which will give him great feedback and exposure to NBA execs. And if that feedback says he's on the fringes of the draft, he can withdraw. If it happens to say he'll be a first-rounder - which I don't think will happen, but it's not impossible - then he would be out of his mind not to turn pro. That would he like tearing up a winning Powerball ticket.

Either way, he has nothing to lose and a lot to gain by the route he has chosen.

Reactions: saluno22
But even if he plans to come back, there's no Earthly reason for Roby not to sign up for the draft. He'll most likely get a combine invite, which will give him great feedback and exposure to NBA execs. And if that feedback says he's on the fringes of the draft, he can withdraw. If it happens to say he'll be a first-rounder - which I don't think will happen, but it's not impossible - then he would be out of his mind not to turn pro. That would he like tearing up a winning Powerball ticket.

Either way, he has nothing to lose and a lot to gain by the route he has chosen.
Exactly. "Entering the NBA draft" isn't the news, it's whether he's hired an agent. Any player that has the potential to sniff the NBA would be foolish not to submit for the draft and get feedback.

You have issues..................the fact you care who he chooses to cheer for is proof......

I don’t care who he chooses to root for. That’s on him if he’s got multiple personalities ;). But I like to point out to him, he is kind of bias with some his responses. That’s all. I guess if that means I have issues...then I guess I’m crazy as a bat. My suggestion, don’t read one or two posts. Research it a bit and then respond.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT