ADVERTISEMENT

Rob Zatechka's favorite line

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
I don't remember if he was talking about the '95 team or the '95 o-line but when mentioning them he LOVES to say

".... the 94 backups".

Because he was one of the seniors in 1994. Everybody thought the line was going to drop off significantly in 1995 but they were a great unit as well.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Because he was one of the seniors in 1994. Everybody thought the line was going to drop off significantly in 1995 but they were a great unit as well.

Trivia question. Who were the two redshirt sophs to start on the '95 line?

zatechka, was working as a medical guy at a 144th and center, and my mom was getting some medical attention...and zatechka came into the room, and Im thinking lets talk NU football, and he just talked about her rehabilitation. complete let down.Winking

Reactions: saluno22
'94 was the best Oline in Husker history and certainly one of the best in CFB history (if not THE best).
Nope that title belongs to the 1982 OL the original Pipeline.
Rimmington
Steinkuhler
Mandelko
Theiss
Kwapick

Last edited:
Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
Aaron Taylor at Guard? And shoot, maybe JON Zatechka at tackle?

Taylor is one. Tackle Eric Anderson (Lincoln Southeast) was the other. #70.

Nope that title belongs to the 1982 OL the original Pipeline.
Rimmington
Steinkuhler
Mandelko
Theiss
Rairdon

Scott Raridon only started in '83, his senior year. Jeff Kwapick was the other starting tackle.

Just saw tonight that Dr. Doug Zatechka, father to Rob and Jon, passed away. He was the director of Housing at UNL for decades, If you lived in the dorms between 1975 and 2010 you probably have him to thank for the improvements made in the room and dining options there.

Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
There is a crazy stat that they mention in the fiesta bowl against Florida... that we didn't have a negative play all year in 1995 besides kneel downs?
I don't recall that stat, but I do remember we hadn't given up a sack all season.

On a related not, I want to say Joel Makovicka never had a run for negative yards at least through his junior season.

Now to fact check myself...

EDIT #1: Well that didn't take long on Makovicka...
2 yards lost in rushing yards as a freshman (1995) on 22 carries.
4 yards lost in rushing yards as a sophomore (1996) on 23 carries.
LOSS FREE as a junior (1997) on 105 carries.
4 yards lost in rushing yards as a senior (1998) on 97 carries.

Still really impressive that junior year.

EDIT #2: Regarding the zero sacks in 1995, that is correct. That was on 228 attempts.

Last edited:
Just saw tonight that Dr. Doug Zatechka, father to Rob and Jon, passed away. He was the director of Housing at UNL for decades, If you lived in the dorms between 1975 and 2010 you probably have him to thank for the improvements made in the room and dining options there.

Prayers out to the family.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT