ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals predicting Bill O'Brien to Nebraska

The thing with Fickell is that he's from Columbus and went to Columbus DeSales HS and you can bet that when / if Day ever leaves, Fickell will be at the very top of OSU's list and make no mistake --- no matter where he coaches next ---- he will crawl back to Columbus to be the HC of OSU. Him, his family and friends bleed Scarlet & Gray. Of course, Day leaving anytime in the very near future is remote but there is a chance the NFL comes calling Day again.
No hard feelings they Canned him the first time after one year?

O'Brien is the lead recruiter for Alabama in their efforts to get Riola. If he came here that wouldn't throw us out of the Riola chase.

I would rather have Arnada but there must be some kind of relationship between O'Brien and Trev as his name is mentioned to the Nebraska job on almost every site that does these things.

No hard feelings they Canned him the first time after one year?
No they didn't - read his story on it. They made him interim HC in 2011 - after the Tressel stuff - and told him up upfront that they were looking - and would be interviewing - others with more experience. Fickell went 6-7 in 2011 - only OSU's 2nd losing season since the early 1960s (1989 being the other). This is OSU and they will get the very best and he knew it. When they hired Urban Meyer, one of the first hires he made was Fickell as his Co-DC. Fickell had other offers but jumped at the chance to stay at OSU under Meyer. The rest (Cincinnati) we all know about. I repeat, he loves OSU and would do anything to return again.

How did everyone forget Fickell couldn’t make it at Ohio state?

BOB was a huge success at penn state. I have no idea who the best hire is. I just worry that if we’re not careful, we could be just a stepping stone job…and that would be a disaster for us IMO

No thanks, I’d rather have Simple Jack over Frost at this point. Frost is not interested in doing his job.

I thought O’Brien did a pretty solid job at PSU when their program was on fire.
2501sj-rxcd.gif

I'm a no on BOB. Fickell would be a huge win, but I don't think we can get him.

BOB was a huge success at penn state. I have no idea who the best hire is. I just worry that if we’re not careful, we could be just a stepping stone job…and that would be a disaster for us IMO

Not sure he was a huge success at PSU. They had some easy schedules and he had a couple bad loses, granted it was a tough situation. I’m also not that worried about the stepping stone thing. In order for that to happen, we would have to have been pretty successful, which should at least leave us in a good position.

Look at it this way. Dude could go from having mild success in the nfl (it wasn't a complete disaster from a coaching perspective) to becoming the next Saban. I mean, Saban utterly failed in the nfl and here is, being the goat and whatnot.

In all reality this isn't how I'd believe it'd go lol. Just playing devil's advocate by pointing out how just because he stunk in the nfl he's gonna stink here. He was great at PSU, just as was Saban pre NFL. Give the dude a chance...IF he's even the guy ultimately

IMO for what he has predicted...

PSU with Franklin - i agree. Most likely the person hired for that job.

LSU with Tucker - i doubt that happens. I can see MSU putting up a big contract to keep him.

TCU with Dykes - yeah, taht is obvious.

Texas Tech with Joey....doubt that happens.

Washington State with Kalen - yes, if Nebraska doesn't hire him, I can see him getting the WSU job. They would be smart to do it.

Miami with Mario - I see no reason for Mario to make that move. He can compete for a conference title every year at Oregon. More support money around the program. Miami is a tough job for various reasons.

I don't see O'Brien even having interest. I see him wanting an NFL job - OC or head coach. I highly doubt he is coaching in college next season.

If Nebraska landed campbell or Fickell you have to be excited about the future. Those are names that recruits will know and will want to play for. You should see an immediate upswing in recruiting and also transfer portal interest from players at other schools.
Nebraska needs to take Kalen. He checks all the boxes.

Reactions: headcard
Some of those are going to be wrong.

He at least was smart to have Matt Campbell listed for Nebraska. I bet that is the person who gets hired.

Luke Fickell sounded like he wants a shot at coaching a Blue Blood program on the Dan Patrick show today. Could Nebraska get him if he doesn't get the USC job?
Matt Campbell would be making a lateral move going from ISU to Nebraska.

If you like runs up the center's ass, then you will love Bill O'Brien.

I'd rather have another year of Scott than get stuck with Bill again.
Only way O'Brien comes to NU is if he is he head coach, AD and President of the U. Not going to happen hopefully.

Assuming Florida keeps Mullen, Franklin goes to USC and Tucker goes to LSU, that will leave Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan State, TCU and Texas Tech looking for coaches.

Being second on that list (I think Penn State has less prestige but is in overall better shape than Nebraska) is not too bad. I don't know if Nebraska will pick up a home run, but finding someone better than Frost is likely IMO.

Reactions: headcard

He at least was smart to have Matt Campbell listed for Nebraska. I bet that is the person who gets hired.

Luke Fickell sounded like he wants a shot at coaching a Blue Blood program on the Dan Patrick show today. Could Nebraska get him if he doesn't get the USC job?
I like the idea of Fickle. Since Neb. plays tOSU every year, it would make for a great rivalry.

I like the idea of Fickle. Since Neb. plays tOSU every year, it would make for a great rivalry.
Agreed.

There are about 7 guys that I would be very happy with. After watching Fickell on the Dan Patrick show I am starting to think he could become a realistic target for Nebraska. You can tell he is thinking about wanting a shot at a Blue Blood school again.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Agreed.

There are about 7 guys that I would be very happy with. After watching Fickell on the Dan Patrick show I am starting to think he could become a realistic target for Nebraska. You can tell he is thinking about wanting a shot at a Blue Blood school again.
What did he say exactly, “Man I can’t wait to ditch this undefeated team im coaching and go to a blue blood”?

btw… do you think any other fan base uses the term “blood blood” as much as ours? I swear people must have a neighborhood circle jerk in Lincoln when Tom Selleck is on the TV

What did he say exactly, “Man I can’t wait to ditch this undefeated team im coaching and go to a blue blood”?

btw… do you think any other fan base uses the term “blood blood” as much as ours? I swear people must have a neighborhood circle jerk in Lincoln when Tom Selleck is on the TV
He uses those words so it isn't out of place.

BOB could do really well here. depending on assistant coaches

He would need some recruiters. Sounds like he’s not a big fan of recruiting. Which would make me nervous.

Last edited:
The thing with Fickell is that he's from Columbus and went to Columbus DeSales HS and you can bet that when / if Day ever leaves, Fickell will be at the very top of OSU's list and make no mistake --- no matter where he coaches next ---- he will crawl back to Columbus to be the HC of OSU. Him, his family and friends bleed Scarlet & Gray. Of course, Day leaving anytime in the very near future is remote but there is a chance the NFL comes calling Day again.

if Fickell was at NU for a number of years and when it came time for OSU to hire a new coach, he was their clear top choice I would be ecstatic about his time at NU

Last edited:

Wouldn't worry about that.

If they have success then it will be an extra plus when they move on in getting another coach.

If he doesn't have success, we'll then Nebraska is still in one of the easiest divisions in all CFB with a set for a playoff spot.

It's possible Nebraska could become THE place where coaches could come get their shot at a NT if they have the gift for recruiting and developing.

Reactions: BleedRed78

WRT Fickell, Brian Kelly left his undefeated Cincy team for a blue blood in ND. So there is some precedence.

Yes, thus it after the Carter talk! I think the last 3 games show it out! Win some or it doesn't look good for returning! I was almost certain Coach Frost would return for 5th season! Now there is doubt! It will be a 3 person decision! 2 University officials + Trev! Along with his inability to relate with younger players, leaving the team after the game! There might be some other behind the scenes we guess about that influence the decision! I'm sure the waters is being tested for coaches! If it happens in Dec, the new Coach might surprise! I still look for 1 more yr! Not that I agree!

He was so conservative with the Texans. It was always 1st down run (90% of the time up the center's ass) and as bad of clock management as you'll see in the NFL. Until Deshaun got there, it was a trainwreck offensively. He basically was the polar opposite of his tendencies at PSU.
Didnt he make the playoffs with Brock f'n Osweiler and Brian Hoyer at QB separately?

He wasnt exactly a crap offensive mind. You have to have a hell of a gameplan to go 9-7 with those two at the helm.

Its been a few days and a few ipa's but his crap year was when Deshaun tore a knee and he had friggin Savage at QB lmfao

He kinda has a lot of data to prove he does a good bit with not much if you add in his Penn St sanction years. Now... turning the corner once the pieces are in play? Maybe not, but Bama doesnt exactly suck on offense. Its a heavily weighted example but he isnt exactly a "trainwreck"

He was a garbage can of a GM, that tanked his run.

Yes, thus it after the Carter talk! I think the last 3 games show it out! Win some or it doesn't look good for returning! I was almost certain Coach Frost would return for 5th season! Now there is doubt! It will be a 3 person decision! 2 University officials + Trev! Along with his inability to relate with younger players, leaving the team after the game! There might be some other behind the scenes we guess about that influence the decision! I'm sure the waters is being tested for coaches! If it happens in Dec, the new Coach might surprise! I still look for 1 more yr! Not that I agree!
Getting carried away with the exclamation point, no?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT