ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals predicting Bill O'Brien to Nebraska

Do you know the whole story ? Obviously not.

Like I posted above he was the interim coach in 2011 with a totally depleted lineup due to the Tressel sanctions. Several of their star players were suspended for the 1st half of 2011 - including star QB Terrelle Pryor who decided to just pack it in before the 2011 season even started. Several players transferred out. OSU - back in 2011 - had nowhere near the big-time depth they have now. Fickell was forced to go with Joe Bauserman at QB. The Buckeye fans nicknamed him "3rd row Joe" for a reason.
We loved 3rd row Joe.

Reactions: headcard
Yikes!. If the "voice of the Huskers" was addressing the rumor then that is a LOT of smoke. One thing you have to look back at and remember is that even though PSU's recruiting classes were smaller and they lost some transfers, there roster was still LOADED with talent. I don't know how they did it but they were still pulling in highly ranked kids. Some of it was Bill's NFL resume I'm sure. Some of it was probably the promise of early playing time due to the smaller classes. Yes the school was a circus but his football team was still very talented. I'm not sure that 7-5 with the kind of talent they had is a ringing endorsement of his coaching ability.
Gary isnt the voice. Gregg is. Gary is the radio host in Omaha.

As a fan of this team and BOBs former team I can say that I'm conflicted on if I want him to be the coach here. I'll give him credit, he won some games with out a lot of talent under center and when DW4 came along he changed his offense around to more fit his strengths. UT the bone headed moments and game management were infuriating. Also, up till I believe his last season he controlled the offense. Which was a big problem that I had with SF.

Are you a Texans fan? If so, could you tell be more about BOB as the coach there. On paper, it looked like he was successful there, but it seems like the fanbase hated him.
I don't want to go crazy here, but I doubt I will ever watch another Husker football game again if BOB takes over the program. I don't need to go through another period with a coach with boorish behavior. It won't work. Just call Bo back if you want that type of coach. I am not sure if SF even does get fired at the end of the season, but if he does I would rather go after someone like Kalen DeBoer. (Isn't he from next door in SD?)

Reactions: headcard
I don't want to go crazy here, but I doubt I will ever watch another Husker football game again if BOB takes over the program. I don't need to go through another period with a coach with boorish behavior. It won't work. Just call Bo back if you want that type of coach. I am not sure if SF even does get fired at the end of the season, but if he does I would rather go after someone like Kalen DeBoer. (Isn't he from next door in SD?)

But Fickell didn’t choose or go with Bauserman. He went with Braxton Miller as his choice. OSU was beating us with Braxton until he got injured. Then they were forced to turn to Bauserman and we came back and won.

I was at that game. And I stayed to the end and didn’t care for what Bo had to say about fans after the game. He was building his us-against-the-world worldview.
If Miller had not gotten injured we would have lost that game.

Oregon is a better program now than Miami. Miami's downfall really started with the loss of the Orange Bowl more than the past sanctions and crime. Without a new stadium near campus they won't return to a premier level. Stadiums do matter.
Miami already had a great coach in Mark Richt. They ran him out for going 26-13 with an Orange bowl trip for Manny Diaz who is a .500 coach.

No thanks. Plus there'd be more F bombs in the football offices in 3 days than in the 25 years under Osborne.

Reactions: Wasker77
If the next coach wins, nobody will care if he swears or has a temper. As long as he doesn’t break the law or get caught cheating.
And even if he cheats a little, and it’s not something major, people still won’t care. As long as he wins.
I freaking hope so.

Hmm. Bill O'Brien is someone we could hire BEFORE the end if the season. He is someone that could stave off the impending transfer exodus. He is someone that could improve the recruiting class.

Our recruiting class is heading towards being worse than a coaching change transition class and a historically bad NU class.

If Trev makes recruiting a metric in his contract and eschews the importance of recruiting at a school that is not near many recruits, I think he would be just fine.

Get your childish tantrums out of the way in regards to Bill O'Brien. It comes off like a child doing a hunger strike then asking for seconds come supper.

Last edited:
If the next coach wins, nobody will care if he swears or has a temper. As long as he doesn’t break the law or get caught cheating.
And even if he cheats a little, and it’s not something major, people still won’t care. As long as he wins.
Depends on what "wins" means. Remember Pelini?

Reactions: 54T and SkerInCo
I'd take O'Brien in a heartbeat. And if it happens, I see no reason to drag out getting the ball rolling. In fact, Monday would be a good day to cut Frostie loose. Soon as a bowl is a mathematic impossibility...show him the door.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Don't set up even the remotest of possibilities that Frost beats Iowa and gets canned after. Do not want to repeat that shit. Fire him after a loss and a significant milestone — the guarantee of his fourth consecutive losing season, and the guarantee that his conference win total will have not improved in four years.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It's not good to fire a coach before the end of the season. BUT if Ohio State blows us out that may be enough IF we have Bill...I mean whomever we have lined up next and the dotted line signed.

Or we get blown out and the soonest our guy feels comfortable taking over.

There are benefits to hiring a coordinator. It is not nearly as frowned upon as a HC when leaving for another team before the season is over.

How soon can a coordinator quit and it not be considered a dick move? If their team loses and is out of the playoffs I'd say things get interesting.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Don't set up even the remotest of possibilities that Frost beats Iowa and gets canned after. Do not want to repeat that shit. Fire him after a loss and a significant milestone — the guarantee of his fourth consecutive losing season, and the guarantee that his conference win total will have not improved in four years.
I am confused here. I am all for firing Frost right after he loses to Ohio State and we are guaranteed another non-bowl and losing season. And I have no issue with immediately, or very soon thereafter, announcing who the next coach will be. That way he can start lobbying recruits and current players. But I hope you are not suggesting that the new coach come in and take over the head coaching duties immediately and to coach our last two games. I think that would be insane.

I am confused here. I am all for firing Frost right after he loses to Ohio State and we are guaranteed another non-bowl and losing season. And I have no issue with immediately, or very soon thereafter, announcing who the next coach will be. That way he can start lobbying recruits and current players. But I hope you are not suggesting that the new coach come in and take over the head coaching duties immediately and to coach our last two games. I think that would be insane.
I dont think he is suggesting that. You'd have one of the current coaches fulfill HC duties for the last 2 games. I would probably promote Mario, and not Chin. Keep the coordinators focused on their respective units. Mario doesnt do anything anyways. Or hell, Ron Brown could do it for 2 games.

I dont think he is suggesting that. You'd have one of the current coaches fulfill HC duties for the last 2 games. I would probably promote Mario, and not Chin. Keep the coordinators focused on their respective units. Mario doesnt do anything anyways. Or hell, Ron Brown could do it for 2 games.
I thought that is what he meant but it was not clear. I agree with your suggestions. Keep the coordinators in place and make interim coach someone like Harry Potter's grandfather.

I thought that is what he meant but it was not clear. I agree with your suggestions. Keep the coordinators in place and make interim coach someone like Harry Potter's grandfather.
I think the biggest thing is to figure out who the coach is going to be if you are going to make a change to get them recruiting. The coaching on the field is what it is and the season is already lost, but maybe you can get a little momentum with the new staff and try to get some kids signed in a quick turnaround. The early signing period can really shorten things.

I am not suggesting that. I would probably fire Frost this Sunday, name Chinander the interim, hope for a Brian Cabral tenure (Cabral won his first two games after Dan Hawkins was fired at CU), announce the new coach before the Iowa game, let Chins fire up the troops to win this one for the coaching staff and to impress the new boss, and then beat the shit out of Iowa, salvage the recruiting class and win the off-season. The new coach would not coach at game at Nebraska until next August, when he beats the shit out of Northwestern.

I am not suggesting that. I would probably fire Frost this Sunday, name Chinander the interim, hope for a Brian Cabral tenure (Cabral won his first two games after Dan Hawkins was fired at CU), announce the new coach before the Iowa game, let Chins fire up the troops to win this one for the coaching staff and to impress the new boss, and then beat the shit out of Iowa, salvage the recruiting class and win the off-season. The new coach would not coach at game at Nebraska until next August, when he beats the shit out of Northwestern.
agree with this timeline, although, I'd like to see the coach coach a game in April.

Yes!

How did everyone forget Fickell couldn’t make it at Ohio state?

BOB was a huge success at penn state. I have no idea who the best hire is. I just worry that if we’re not careful, we could be just a stepping stone job…and that would be a disaster for us IMO
Fick was actually kind of put in a no win situation at OSU though. He was already on staff when the "tatgate stuff happened, and was pretty much the only option for an interim coach. As someone else already mentioned he went in knowing that OSU was looking for a replacement for Tressel. The worst kept secret around Columbus during the 2011 season was that OSU was going to hire Urban. Fick had to keep all of Tressel's old staff, and he went in to the season with his 5 best players suspended, and the star QB ( Pryor) gone, leaving only true freshman Braxton Miller and a guy I'm sure Husker fans remember fondly, Joe Bauserman. Fickell was one of Urban's first hires for the defensive staff when he took over. Fick has always stressed his love for OSU, and the school and fan base feel the same way about him.

Last edited:
BOB has been a head coach for eight full seasons and the beginning of a ninth. He had one losing season (his fourth of sixth in Houston), but followed that up with his third and fourth division titles. He was dismissed last year when the Texans started 0-4.

He was 5-3 in one-score games at PSU. He was 28-26 in one-score games as the head coach of the Texans.

Is he better'n what we got? Oh, yeah.
BOB took over Ped State when they had lost 40 scholarships in 5 years when they could have received the death penalty, so, I don't think you can compare what he had to work with at Ped State, with what Frost had to work with. Even Riley recruited well, so Frost was not left with a bare cupboard, they just chose to leave via the transfer portal.

Didnt he make the playoffs with Brock f'n Osweiler and Brian Hoyer at QB separately?

He wasnt exactly a crap offensive mind. You have to have a hell of a gameplan to go 9-7 with those two at the helm.

Its been a few days and a few ipa's but his crap year was when Deshaun tore a knee and he had friggin Savage at QB lmfao

He kinda has a lot of data to prove he does a good bit with not much if you add in his Penn St sanction years. Now... turning the corner once the pieces are in play? Maybe not, but Bama doesnt exactly suck on offense. Its a heavily weighted example but he isnt exactly a "trainwreck"

He was a garbage can of a GM, that tanked his run.
He made the playoffs with Osweiler and Hoyer because the AFC South was historically awful. The AFC was mocked relentlessly for several seasons for being hot garbage. This was also when the Texans defense was a top tier unit. They won in spite of Osweiler and Hoyer.

Guarantee if you go to texanstalk.com you'll find a lot of the similar responses.

The thing with Fickell is that he's from Columbus and went to Columbus DeSales HS and you can bet that when / if Day ever leaves, Fickell will be at the very top of OSU's list and make no mistake --- no matter where he coaches next ---- he will crawl back to Columbus to be the HC of OSU. Him, his family and friends bleed Scarlet & Gray. Of course, Day leaving anytime in the very near future is remote but there is a chance the NFL comes calling Day again.
Sorry but what's the fetish with this "hometown" boy shit? HCSF took a great opportunity to coach a P5 team. He moved his family from NY/OR/FL to Lincoln, NE! I was born and "edacat'd" in Nebraska and the only ways to drag me back is a GOOD football team or a funeral or, maybe $5M@year...

What was this about? Can you elaborate?
The Houston Texans are a cult of personality of a person with no personality

The religious assistant who took over an NFL team from within and turned it into a laughing stock

Jack Easterby’s Rise to Power and the Chaos That Followed

The Texans collapse is a product of bad decisions, ownership, and a youth pastor

These are just a few examples. If you're really curious about it, google "houston texans are a religious organization" and there are tons of articles, columns and other opinions related to this.

They preach "culture, culture, culture" but it sounds super toxic. It's so bad that players on the team are happy when someone gets traded and gets out of there.

Sorry but what's the fetish with this "hometown" boy shit? HCSF took a great opportunity to coach a P5 team. He moved his family from NY/OR/FL to Lincoln, NE! I was born and "edacat'd" in Nebraska and the only ways to drag me back is a GOOD football team or a funeral or, maybe $5M@year...
Where do you live now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT