ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Extension Question?

Husker02GT

Walk On
Dec 3, 2014
I keep seeing everyone say it is common practice to extend a coach for recruiting purposes. I'm not disagreeing with that. My question is if the extension is not publicized until August, how does that keep other coaches from using it to recruit against us? Up until last week everyone thought his contract expired pre-extension. I'm just confused on how giving an extension for recruiting purposes, and then not announcing it for 8 months helps us in those 8 months on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Good question. But, as a parent or recruit, I'm not relying on Urban Meyer or PJ Fleck to confirm Riley's contract status. I would bet that the recruits who were interested asked Riley what his contract status was and he would have said, I signed an extension in January. Especially if it was used against him on the trail. Imho

Good question. But, as a parent or recruit, I'm not relying on Urban Meyer or PJ Fleck to confirm Riley's contract status. I would bet that the recruits who were interested asked Riley what his contract status was and he would have said, I signed an extension in January. Especially if it was used against him on the trail. Imho
I like your posts tuco, but that's most likely bs. People WILL in fact take a rumor, true or not and run with it. If Urban or even Chryst said Riley's extension wasn't announced, a recruit WOULD take it as fact. Parents would most likely not run & call any coach to ask about their job status. It is impolite and rude to do such a thing. They will research it without asking directly and that leaves it open for rumor & scuttlebutt.

OP has a legit question about Eichorst and his group of zombies hiding their ineptness.

I like your posts tuco, but that's most likely bs. People WILL in fact take a rumor, true or not and run with it. If Urban or even Chryst said Riley's extension wasn't announced, a recruit WOULD take it as fact. Parents would most likely not run & call any coach to ask about their job status. It is impolite and rude to do such a thing. They will research it without asking directly and that leaves it open for rumor & scuttlebutt.

OP has a legit question about Eichorst and his group of zombies hiding their ineptness.

As I have stated before, I have gone through this the 2 times in the last 6 years. Parents will definitely ask a coach about their contract status. There is a different relationship between coaches and recruits than Joe Fan and coach. There are situations or instances that will affect the decision a player and their family makes.

The only reason for a coach of Team A to negative recruit like that is because there is some concern that Team B is a threat to sign the player. In today's world if coach A told us something about coach B, we would ask coach B what the situation was. You don't have to say Coach A said you won't play freshmen or whatever. You can just ask, what is you plan for your freshmen? I can promise you impolite or rude doesn't factor into the equation on iota.

I keep seeing everyone say it is common practice to extend a coach for recruiting purposes. I'm not disagreeing with that. My question is if the extension is not publicized until August, how does that keep other coaches from using it to recruit against us? Up until last week everyone thought his contract expired pre-extension. I'm just confused on how giving an extension for recruiting purposes, and then not announcing it for 8 months helps us in those 8 months on the recruiting trail.
If extensions matter to recruits and they stop others from negative recruiting then one would think you would make the extension public.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
Ron Jeremy is jealous of Mike Riley's extension.Smokin

Not sure that it matters that much. When programs are struggling, recruits and parents can see the writing on the wall.

plus, I feel the value of the extension in recruiting may have diminishing returns anyways...if things doesn't work out - even beyond a coaching staff's lifespan at anyone place - I can take my talent elsewhere - transfers are happening rather easily.

Doesn't matter how many times we extend him. We have enough $ to make him disappear without a thought about it. Sad because I like him but that's where this is headed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT